Wheeled cart for behind motorbike

bamboozled

Hello folks, where might I find one of those two-wheeled carts that one sees towed behind Honda Dreams and the like? I need to occasionally haul some stuff around and this seems like an economical solution since a car is not an option for me. A used option would be perfect...

Thanks and have a safe and fun Songkran...

drive up and down the roads, there are always people selling them on major roads. Look for vendor cart shops. If not then have a look at a site called instuctables and there are plans for some made from PVC etc.. on there not too hard to knock up yourself.

Oz

Maybe if I get one of those, I'll be allowed to ride the scooter; sort of like stabiliser wheels. I passed my motobike test a week after my 17th birthday, but every time I mention having a go, I am met with very disapproving mutterings. I know the traffic is dangerous here (I don't think I'd like to drive a car) but I rode through black ice and snow for years before I took my first driving lesson.

t's not like I'll be challenging (and winning) the boy racer's at this time of life; what my souped-up Honda 90 lacked in speed was made up for with fearlessness. They got away from me at the lights, but like girls they always slowed down for the corners.

I think you'd want one of the sidecars for that. They would def hold up the bike. The cart is just tied on by rope and is not really made for this purpose but is a cheap way to haul stuff. The sidecar, on the other hand, will give you a sturdy four-wheeled vehicle that won't readily tip over (unless you want to be a "real man" and take the corners fast which I sometimes do when I want to beI like a "real man" but when I'm feeling smart I drive like a girl).

I am surprised that no one here in Thailand fabricates and makes the ingenious motorcycle pull mechanism that are used in Cambodia to pull passengers and freight. Easily removed so that that motorcycle returns to two wheels when wanted

attachicon.gifIMG_4718.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_4719.JPG

I'm not really that surprised. Thais generally don't do anything unless they see someone else do it first.

Bring one of those bad boys to your area, let everyone see it, and it will be copied within a week.

I am surprised that no one here in Thailand fabricates and makes the ingenious motorcycle pull mechanism that are used in Cambodia to pull passengers and freight. Easily removed so that that motorcycle returns to two wheels when wanted

attachicon.gifIMG_4718.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_4719.JPG

I'm not really that surprised. Thais generally don't do anything unless they see someone else do it first.

Bring one of those bad boys to your area, let everyone see it, and it will be copied within a week.

But, can you imagine the driver being impaled should he make a quick stop, and the hitch being second-rate? Cheaper would not be not good enough in this case.

Whoever mentioned a sidecar there are pluses and minuses to both.

Sidecar is more structurally sound but permanently attached.

Sidecar always turns left and really tires out one arm when driving. Trailer drives straight and even stabalises.

Sidecar can tip over a little easier than a trailer when turning sharply, but sidecar is better on emergency stops.

I have driven both and prefer trailers. Owned one with a bolt welded onto the rear hand bar on the bike and a double nut to lock it on. 1 min to hook on and off, could carry 10 full diving tanks(heavy!) at high speeds while cornering with 1 wheel in the air....but I was young and reckless then!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I do not recommend using one of those trolleys unless you really know what you are doing.

It is not possible to attach them to a motorbike. They usually wrap a towel or large cloth around the handle of the trolley, then the rider will sit on the end of the towel that pulls the trolley as the motorbike is in motion.

If you need to do an emergency stop or stop sharply, the trolley stills continues to move forward and the handle part slams hard into your back. Also if you hit a big bump in the road the trolley wheels jump high into the air and not always evenly, which can place the motorbike off balance and pull the bike over.

The trolley wheels are just bicycle wheels held on by one nut on the spindle. After time, the wheel nuts work loose and the wheel can fly off the spindle. They don`t cope well with speed and easy to buckle. The tyres are ordinary cheapo bicycle tyres with inter-tubes. They wear fairly quickly and easy to puncture.

These trolleys always seem to be blue coloured and come in 2 sizes. Usually 2200 baht for the standard size and 1800 baht for the smaller version. Both size trolleys can have the standard size bicycle wheels or smaller sized wheels.

post-110219-0-70573800-1397363165_thumb.

Go up the super highway access road past Lotus and the Kham Tiang market, just before the intersection of Chotona Road you will see several shops on the left with lawn mowers in front, they sell the two wheeled carts you are looking for, ask as the stock may be in the back. You can check prices at two shops there and choose.

Sidecars and carts are illegal in Thailand. . I didn't believe it but it's true.

You don't see many car trailers and they are okay!

​Adding a side-car to a motorbike is illegal as it is impossible to change the registration from two wheels to three wheels. The process has been likened to changing a car into a airplane.

Buying a brand new motorcycle, fitting a side car and registering it as a three wheeled vehicle is perfectly legal. You only have to look at Walls, Nestle et all ice cream combinations to realize this. Also one Thai manufacturer offers Retro bikes delivered with retro side-car.

Trailers? I do not know but there are some pretty slick ones in other countries.

carreta-reboque-para-motos-direto-da-fab

If the OP is in a small village probably not a problem.

Sidecars and carts are illegal in Thailand.

Looks like that law is working out as good as all the others. There are sidecars galore here. It's the pull behind carts you don't see a lot of.

Having said that, I would never ride in a side car or a pull behind.

Sidecars and carts are illegal in Thailand.

Looks like that law is working out as good as all the others. There are sidecars galore here. It's the pull behind carts you don't see a lot of.

Having said that, I would never ride in a side car or a pull behind.

Tokay,

That is because motor bikes registered with side cars are LEGAL. What is illegal is adding one to a motorcycle that was registered as a two wheeler..

Yes modding a used bike to fit a sidecar is not allowed by the transport people,

we inquired years ago in Phuket .. they didn't say anything about new bikes being ok.

more recently I did speak to a backyard mod shop who does these mods every day,

he told me most new bikes no-good for that.. meaning unsuitable.

Yes modding a used bike to fit a sidecar is not allowed by the transport people,

we inquired years ago in Phuket .. they didn't say anything about new bikes being ok.

more recently I did speak to a backyard mod shop who does these mods every day,

he told me most new bikes no-good for that.. meaning unsuitable.

I would guess most MIB wouldn't know that law ..shhhhh.

• 10 months later...

Sidecars and carts are illegal in Thailand. . I didn't believe it but it's true.

You don't see many car trailers and they are okay!

​Adding a side-car to a motorbike is illegal as it is impossible to change the registration from two wheels to three wheels. The process has been likened to changing a car into a airplane.

Buying a brand new motorcycle, fitting a side car and registering it as a three wheeled vehicle is perfectly legal. You only have to look at Walls, Nestle et all ice cream combinations to realize this.

Perhaps that's why I'm always asked to remove the sidecar when having it checked at annual registration. When it was attached to a new motorbike I took it to highway police and asked them was it OK. Great the said better than most. Since then I've been stopped a few times, check DL, check tax disc, check dog that is in sidecar, and never any hassle. Masses of them around Pattaya patrolling the streets selling their noodle soups, BBQ chicken, stickers, savings boxes etc. Most are without number plates.

Back to the OP. Have a look at Tiger motorcycles website. Google for the address. I have seen there something that might interest you. Hope they still make it.

• 2 months later...

These trolleys always seem to be blue coloured and come in 2 sizes. Usually 2200 baht for the standard size and 1800 baht for the smaller version. Both size trolleys can have the standard size bicycle wheels or smaller sized wheels.

Was looking for one today in Chiang Saen. Seems only one shop has them. I did a quick measure, usable size is a bit larger than 60 x 80 cm (24 x 32"). I don't know if that's now the standard size, or the small size. Display price was 2450, he said 2400, I found the price a bit steep, didn't start to negotiate, so it's still in the shop.

M/c repair shop in our village makes these...

18017396760_c2cf52e965_b.jpg

Will I have to remove it to do the vehicle check before renewing tax?

Hard work if a heavy load in the sidecar... but will go up mountains with the largest 45 tooth rear sprocket fitted..

Archived