Recomended city's near Cambodia surin border?

Sandman77

Soon my 3 month running out, this year I want go first time over the surin boarder, so what is the name of the Cambodian city near surin?

Visit Siam reap and Angkor allready 2 times , this year I want make another tour, what city and sightseeing you can recommend , in a range of aprox 200 km from surin boarder?

Cross over at the Chong Chom Border crossing about 72 km south of Surin on the 214 highway.Get a van from the Surin bus sation for 60 baht to the crossing. Taxi are in Cambodia (O'Smach) go to Preah Vihear temple, 160 km east of the crossing. Preah Vihear can not be accessed from Thailand only from Cambodia.Worth the trip.

second the above, great temple,

do not take ur thai gf/wife with you, they will not allow her up to the temple

you could combine it with a trip to Anlong Veng and see Pol Pot's grave.

or

Banteay Chhmer is about 80 kms from Osmach as well, Fantastic temple and no one around

• Like 1

second the above, great temple,

do not take ur thai gf/wife with you, they will not allow her up to the temple

Why not?

you could combine it with a trip to Anlong Veng and see Pol Pot's grave.

What's the point of seeing the place where a dead body was buried? Or is it decorated in an interesting way or something?

Edited by Cat ji

What's the point of seeing the place where a dead body was buried? Or is it decorated in an interesting way or something?

Well on a scale of 1 to 10 for memorials to the dead Pol Pot's might struggle ...

090328-cambodiatour-hmed-3p.grid-6x2.jpg ---- to get a 1, but crowd control is rarely a problem

DE02_PG3_4COLS_PTI1_333651f.jpgand this would garner a 10, but ...

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

thais are not allowed up the mountain at Preah Vihear on the cambodian side, Its a military location.

Has been this way sense the border conflict of 2008. Non Thais only.

not sure when it started,

personal story, went in 2011 with my thai/american daughter ( she holds both passports)

at the bottom you register with ur passport, i gave them our us passports.

at the top, a guard asked her where she was from, she was only 16 and said thai. They stopped us, 15 minutes of phone calls back and forth and they finally agreed to allow us to proceed up to the temple. we had 2 armed mlitary guards and 3 police with us, They kept trying to seperate me from her and asking her questions about why she was there etc. She was almost in tears. They "led" us around ( no one else had any guards, guides) and kept pushing us to move on.

A very bad experience.

Few of my friends have driven across the border from thailand been to PV with their wifes an every one was refused to travel up to the temples.

thais are not allowed up the mountain at Preah Vihear on the cambodian side, Its a military location.

Has been this way sense the border conflict of 2008. Non Thais only.

not sure when it started,

personal story, went in 2011 with my thai/american daughter ( she holds both passports)

at the bottom you register with ur passport, i gave them our us passports.

at the top, a guard asked her where she was from, she was only 16 and said thai. They stopped us, 15 minutes of phone calls back and forth and they finally agreed to allow us to proceed up to the temple. we had 2 armed mlitary guards and 3 police with us, They kept trying to seperate me from her and asking her questions about why she was there etc. She was almost in tears. They "led" us around ( no one else had any guards, guides) and kept pushing us to move on.

A very bad experience.

Few of my friends have driven across the border from thailand been to PV with their wifes an every one was refused to travel up to the temples.

Last visited Preah Vihear with my wife and her family April 2008. June 2008 it was closed and has NOT reopened for any Thai national.

On June 22, 2008, Cambodia closed the border crossing to Preah Vihear in response to Thai protests held at the border crossing. The protests were championed by an anti-Thaksin opposition figure, Sonthi Limthongkul, who claimed the government of Thai Prime Minister Samak Sudaravej had gained business concessions in Cambodia in return for ceding Thai territory to Cambodia when negotiating over the Preah Vihear site map that would be presented to UNESCO in Quebec, Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian%E2%80%93Thai_border_dispute

• Like 1