Suvarnabhumi Airport Set To Open On Sept 28

SMS

All set for an in-your-face landing

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's determination to rush Suvarnabhumi Airport's opening on Sept 28, is perilously putting a great risk of severe disruption, if not total paralysis, to Thailand's air transport. Looking at the circumstances surrounding the airport's readiness and listening to well-intended observations by aviation professionals, it is a foregone conclusion that the facility will not be up and running smoothly on Sept 28, which is barely 43 days away.

Most of the more than 70 international carriers, even Thai Airways International, are most unlikely to be able to completely establish themselves at Bangkok's 125-billion-baht new airport, whose crucial systems are not ready, either.

My recent terminal tour showed that most of the ''offices'' purportedly for airlines remain empty rooms, with names of the carriers printed on white sheets of paper stuck on glass walls or aluminium counters with scotch tape. :oAirlines would normally need six months to prepare themselves at a new site, ensuring that their complex computer systems worked efficiently and staff are suitably familiarised with the new operating environment and systems.

It is a pity the Transport Ministry and AoT have chosen to only follow the Sept 28 mandate given by Mr Thaksin, come hel_l or high water, without rational consultations, even turning a deaf ear to the aviation industry's warnings. None of the authorities seems to have the courage to tell Mr Thaksin the truth, that the airport will not be ready on Sept 28; knowing that the premier is banking on a successful opening to give him a pre-election boost.

More problems with the airport detailed here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Aug2006_news23.php

Boonsong Kositchotethana

Deputy Assignment Editor, Bangkok Post.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last ! We have waited until today to get a clear opinion from the press regarding the insanity of the date of 28 september for the opening of the new airport.

Best late than never...

Boonsong Kositchotethana

Deputy Assignment Editor, Bangkok Post.

We are not guinea pigs : Thai Airways workers union

Thai International Airways' workers union staged a protest on Thursday against moving operations of domestic flights from Don Muang to Suvannabhum Airport that is scheduled for next month.

Representatives of the workers union said through megaphones that THAI staffs and passengers were not guinea pigs of the new airport.

All operations of domestic flights are scheduled to move to Suvannabhum Airport on September 15.

"We and the passengers are not the guinea pigs to test the new airport. If there is something wrong, THAI airline has to take all responsibilities," they said.

However Apinan Soommanaseranee, board executive member, told the protesting staffs that September 15 schedule will have to be met.

The domestic flights will have to be move to the new airport on the set date before the new airport be officially opened on September 28.

- The Nation

Transport Minister affirms readiness of Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK, Aug 17 (TNA) – Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal on Thursday affirmed that Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport is ready to open for commercial services on September 28, but might have some problems on equipment transfer in an initial period. :o

His affirmation came after former prime minister Banharn Silpa-arch, who is Chat Thai Party leader, suggested that the opening of the new international airport be postponed.

Mr. Pongsak said the airport had already been in place for services, while the Don Muang International Airport is so crowded now.

He conceded that there might be some difficulties in the equipment transfer or the opening in an initial period. But it is considered usual for the transfer of offices to a new location.

He viewed unless the new airport was opened on scheduled, various systems and equipment already put in place would be dilapidated. :D:D

“Unless the airport is opened for services now, I want to ask when and for whom it will be opened. The airport is like a house. It is now completely constructed and decorated. Now, it is a stage of the transfer of residents and stuffs into the house,” he said. :D:D

Mr. Pongsak is scheduled to inspect the readiness of systems in the airport on Thursday. It is expected that the test run of the systems will take more than three hours.

- MCOT

Mr. Pongsak is scheduled to inspect the readiness of systems in the airport on Thursday. It is expected that the test run of the systems will take more than three hours.

- MCOT

Please tell me that they will be testing Air Traffic Control for more than 3 hours!

Due to fly into BKK Sept 30th and I am not looking forward to being dumped into the middle of what is looking more and more like chaos at best, disaster at worst.

Emirates have just told me that as far as they are aware they will still be flying into Don Muang. Here's hoping!!!

- MCOT

Please tell me that they will be testing Air Traffic Control for more than 3 hours!

Due to fly into BKK Sept 30th and I am not looking forward to being dumped into the middle of what is looking more and more like chaos at best, disaster at worst.

Emirates have just told me that as far as they are aware they will still be flying into Don Muang. Here's hoping!!!

Hi

The opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport on the 28th September can only happen if all the certification is in order.

As I understand it certification is in the hands of an international organisation over whom the Thai authorities have no control.

The airport itself will need insurance of many hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars, this level of coverage can only be provided by the international insurance markets, who would insist that all licensing with the relevant authorities is in place prior to international commercial operations commencing.

In addition the airlines own coverage would not extend to using unlicensed airfields for anything other than an emergency.

Safety is paramount for the licensing authorities and I do not see them cutting corners.

Therefore it is difficult to see how the Thai authorities can manipulate the external regulators and as such I do not believe it will open Sept 28th.

My four pennoth and I could be proved wrong :o Apologies if I am just repeating previous posts as I do not have the inclination to read all 200 odd!!

TBWG :D

Just picked up my tic for the Thursday night TG.budgie which should hopefully hit the new airport runway around 3-00pm on Friday 29th...(dont actually mean..hit :olike but.. )and I am really looking forward to it. :D

Thai have assured me that all their pilots know where to find it (Suwanna..that is )and like all good ROCI members...<deleted> and born again athesists etc...... I believe in Angels........roll on the champers... :o and sausage rolls....

Transport Minister affirms readiness of Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK, Aug 17 (TNA) – Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal on Thursday affirmed that Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport is ready to open for commercial services on September 28, but might have some problems on equipment transfer in an initial period. :o

“Unless the airport is opened for services now, I want to ask when and for whom it will be opened. The airport is like a house. It is now completely constructed and decorated. Now, it is a stage of the transfer of residents and stuffs into the house,” he said. :D:D

- MCOT

Like a house???? In what way? Thousands of people don't have their lives at stake when they walk into a house that might not be completely finished. Their lives are at stake if they fly into an airport that hasn't been competely tested and certified. If I wasn't scheduled to be flying out of BKK on Sept 29th I'd be laughing at such an idiotic statement.

Edited by Netfan

ICAO experts inspect Suvarnabhumi airport

A group of experts from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) yesterday visited the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport on a mission believed to be aimed at assessing its readiness before its official opening on September 28, Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) officials said.

“They are really happy with our airport,” AoT President Chotisak Asapaviriya said, adding that he expected ICAO to release a statement on the new airport soon. ICAO could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The United Nations aviation agency, which has been working as a consultant on the new airport project since construction began, does not have the authority to certify the airport.

However, it audits the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), the government agency responsible for approving the airport.

DCA last month gave the airport all the necessary certifications for official operations, said DCA Director-General Chaisak Angkasuwan, .

Full report: http://www.ihtthaiday.com/IHT/ViewNews.asp...D=9490000104682

A group of experts from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) yesterday visited the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport on a mission believed to be aimed at assessing its readiness before its official opening on September 28, Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) officials said.

“They are really happy with our airport,” AoT President Chotisak Asapaviriya said, adding that he expected ICAO to release a statement on the new airport soon. ICAO could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Has Khun Chokemysack not learned anything from past misstatements? Why jump out with such an overly positive statement like that based upon a few initial hours of visitation by the ICAO?

Why not WAIT a little bit... and allow the ICAO to make their OWN statement based upon THEIR findings?? The potential for this coming back and biting him in the posterior is extremely high.

Oh well, live and NOT learn.

I don't think little things like insurance will stop the airport from opening, and all certificates are in place already - domestic ones are enough, legally.

They can't force airlines to fly there - that's their only porblem.

In the West they worry about liquids in paper cups, here we have air-traffic control system that is tested for "more in three hours", and no insurance coverage. I see a huge gap in understanding what "safety" means.

Why do they have to make themselves look like monkeys?

THAI staff again protest early move

New airport not fully ready, says union

The Thai Airways International (THAI) labour union yesterday staged its second protest in 10 days against the Transport Ministry's plan for domestic flights to operate from Suvarnabhumi airport from Sept 15 _ two weeks earlier than the Sept 28 official opening. About 100 THAI staff led by union chairman Somsak Srinual rallied outside the national airline's headquarters, demanding a review of the early start plan and accusing management of trying to please politicians at the expense of air passengers. Yesterday's rally took place on the eve of a key meeting to decide whether the plan to move some domestic flights to the new airport on Sept 15 would go ahead. THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni insisted the early switch over would proceed, saying the flights would enable the airline to get the hang of problems, if any, at Suvarnabhumi and to try to solve them before the airport's official opening.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/18Aug2006_news12.php

Edited by sriracha john

Mr. Pongsak: Suvarnabhumi Airport ready to kick off on Sep 28th

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal (พงษ์ศักดิ์ รักตพงศ์ไพศาล) insisted that operation systems and security systems of Suvarnabhumi Airport are ready to serve people on September 28th.

He said that although current sectors are still concerned on whether the systems of the commercial airport is ready to start operating on September 28th, he reassured the public that the systems can work effectively. Mr. Pongsak said he has already made a thorough inspection of the operation of the new airport.

However, Mr Pongsak reminded the media that it is deemed normal for the airport to face obstacles in its first phase.

He said that at 10.30 hours, today, executives of Suvarnabhumi Airport will chair a meeting for the opening of the new airport.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 August 2006

I don't think little things like insurance will stop the airport from opening, and all certificates are in place already - domestic ones are enough, legally.

They can't force airlines to fly there - that's their only porblem.

There is, of course, the nagging little problem of the airport code. Who assigns this code? The IATA? The ICAO?

What happens on 28 September, or on 12 October, when a pilot enters BKK on his board computer? To which airport will the navigation system lead him, Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi?

post-21260-1155884228_thumb.jpg

There are two stories in the papers today, one about PB Air scare when during the test flight the warning "no airport" has gone off at landing - the databse and software on board of the plane were not updated.
There was talk about Suvarnabhumi getting the code BKK, which means that Don Muang will have to get a new code assigned. Until this new code is assigned and the correct coordinates, i.e. also the new coordinates for BKK, are entered in the bord computers of all planes flying to Bangkok, it will be chaos if both airports are operational at the same time.

I have been wondering why it is so important for the government to get Suvarnabhumi fully operational by 28 September. It can’t be the upcoming elections: it is mostly upcountry people who vote for TRT and they don’t care a jot what Bangkok airport is operational on what date. But then again, why is it that the moment the Prime Minister conceded that Suvarnabhumi’s opening for international flights may have to be postponed by two weeks, he also pondered publicly the need to postpone elections by two weeks?

--------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

From the BKK Post:

BREAKING NEWS

Suvarnabhumi Airport 'ready' to open

(TNA) – State agencies concerned in preparation for the opening of the Suvarnabhumi Airport for commercial services have affirmed various operating and supporting systems under their supervision have already been put in place.

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Development Committee chaired by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra met on Friday with representatives of agencies concerned including the Transport Ministry, Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited, and Air Transport Department to conclude the readiness of the opening of the airport for services to local flights of THAI on September 15.

A source said Transport Minister Pongsak Rattapongpaisal and Suvarnabhumi Airport’s Director Somchai Swasdipol reported to the meeting that various systems including ticket check-in, luggage conveyor, CTX devices for explosive detection, airport safety, and airport information system, had already been put in place for services.

They also reported the readiness of flight schedule, test run of an international flight of Suvarnabhumi-Hong Kong-Singapore on September 1, opening of 5 local flights by THAI, and official inauguration of the commercial services by the airport on September 28.

From the BKK Post:

BREAKING NEWS

(TNA) – State agencies concerned in preparation for the opening of the Suvarnabhumi Airport for commercial services have affirmed various operating and supporting systems under their supervision have already been put in place.

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Development Committee chaired by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra met on Friday with representatives of agencies concerned including the Transport Ministry, Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited, and Air Transport Department to conclude the readiness of the opening of the airport for services to local flights of THAI on September 15.

That's nice... now any word if they've actually convinced the workers at THAI to show up to work then or will they be using Thaksin's old AirAsia workers to replace them???

Not too bothered if the ATC systems,Runway lighting ,baggage handling nonsense stuff etc is working or not but I have heard a veeeery nasty rumour that the Airport/Airline lounges might not be up and running yet....This could be serious. :D

Even in the most unsavoury locations it has ever been my misfortune to bounce into I have never ever gone without the basic comforts required /expected to make and ensure that the whole flying experience continues to be the fun scene that one would expect....and that includes to the likes of Basra,Freetown,Stung Treng,Darwin,Bam-ba-tok,Oran,O-wagga-do gu,Hanoi and even London City Airport......so....wots the sore?...Bars and "leesure" facs ..on target...yes? :o

From the BKK Post:

BREAKING NEWS

A source said Transport Minister Pongsak Rattapongpaisal and Suvarnabhumi Airport’s Director Somchai Swasdipol reported to the meeting that various systems including ticket check-in, luggage conveyor, CTX devices for explosive detection, airport safety, and airport information system, had already been put in place for services.

Ok, they've convinced me. I believe every word.

The United Nations aviation agency, which has been working as a consultant on the new airport project since construction began, does not have the authority to certify the airport.

However, it audits the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), the government agency responsible for approving the airport.

DCA last month gave the airport all the necessary certifications for official operations, said DCA Director-General Chaisak Angkasuwan, .

Full report: http://www.ihtthaiday.com/IHT/ViewNews.asp...D=9490000104682

Nothing on IATA/ICAO websites.... :o

This is getting funnier and funnier, the committee chaired by Thaksin says it's ready!!!

You gotta be kidding me.........

Why is it so important to him?

I guess it must be an excuse to show the opening live on Thai TV where he can pretend he's responsible for this marvelous airport opening on time. He loves to look important on the international scene. Whether it's ready or not is of no importance to him as long as he can make it all look ok to those whose only source of news is Thai TV.

Have a shufti at this one....... :D

http://www.suvarnabhumi-international-airport-bangkok.com/

The new airport will be opened officially on the 28th of September.

The Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra re-affirmed his commitment last Friday that all flights will move to the new airport on the 28th of September.

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is located around approximately 40 minutes drive South East from the current Bangkok Don Muang International Airport. It is build on 3100 hectares of land in the Samut Prakarn province which you may know is where the famour crocodile farm is located.

The main access road is an elevated 10 lane highway which is connected to the outer ring road network and also directiy connects to the Bangkok – Chonburi (Pattaya) motorway.

Pattaya is now around a 1 hour and twenty minute drive.

Rail Network - Under construction is the new 26.6 kilometer high speed rail link from the airport to City Airport Terminal in Makkasan. Its planned completion date is November 2007.

The City Airport Terminal network is connected to BTS (Bangkok Mass Transit System) Sukhumvit Line and MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) Blue Line at Phaya Thai and Phetchaburi stations respectively.

The total journey will take approximately 15 minutes. ....mor info..... :o

Why is it so important to him?
I’ve talked to somebody since asking the same question yesterday.

Apparently, relatives and cronies of a certain person bought a lot of land near Suvarnabhumi airport, some with borrowed money, and hope to make a quick profit out of it. With the outcome of the upcoming elections and the subsequent election of the Prime Minister by parliament uncertain, it is important to get the airport fully operational before the elections, while the person in question remains in office and can still influence decisions regarding the development around the airport. One decision, the creation of a new province, seems to have been made already but the full operation of the airport appears to be an important factor in the whole scheme.

---------------

Maestro

Have a shufti at this one....... http://www.suvarnabhumi-international-airport-bangkok.com/

blah ... thats for sure not an official website ;-)

look the picture http://www.suvarnabhumi-international-airp.../terminal-5.jpg

looks pretty close like a bad photoshopped shoot from Dubai-terminal 2 ;-))

i was there already a few times ... and i can see the airport from my home ...

so i know there are still ONLY TRUCKS on the runnways instead of planes ;-)))

suvarnabhumi-international-airport-bangkok.com

anyway:

owner-contact: P-AWS106

owner-fname: Antoine

owner-lname: Schuermann

owner-street: Ortsiekerweg 85

owner-city: Herford

owner-zip: 32049

owner-country: DE

owner-phone: +49.5221855472

owner-email: [email protected]

i dont think the registrar of the "official site" is german ;-)))

Have a shufti at this one....... http://www.suvarnabhumi-international-airport-bangkok.com/

blah ... thats for sure not an official website ;-)

look the picture http://www.suvarnabhumi-international-airp.../terminal-5.jpg

looks pretty close like a bad photoshopped shoot from Dubai-terminal 2 ;-))

i was there already a few times ... and i can see the airport from my home ...

so i know there are still ONLY TRUCKS on the runnways instead of planes ;-)))

OK ..heres another...

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/

Let me know when we find one that you like.... :o

Airport might be finished, I wonder when the skytrain is due to be finished out that way... taxis are gona love this.

Here we go again it took years to get regulated taxis at the old airport "NO METER NO GO" :o:D:D

It's worse than that , you will have to take a bus to the transport centre where you can then take a taxi !!! :D

Airport might be finished, I wonder when the skytrain is due to be finished out that way... taxis are gona love this.

Here we go again it took years to get regulated taxis at the old airport "NO METER NO GO" :o:D:D

It's worse than that , you will have to take a bus to the transport centre where you can then take a taxi !!! :D

c'mon guys.. the Skytrain will be up and running there in 2012, which is practically right around the corner.

Edited by sriracha john