Thai Government warned there may be no election if….

webfact

Another great statement from the EC to PT (Thaksin) . . . work WITH us or you will never even get close to having an election any time soon as we're the ones who run it and without our help and some compromise on PT's side of things, there will be NO elections.

The EC is attempting to dictate the applicability of the law. Look at what the EC is saying; there will be no election.

The EC is not supposed to dictate whether or not there will be an election. It's job is carry out the election. Again this is the EC interfering and it is the EC who are derelict in their duty.

By all means feel free to distort what Mr. Somchai said. Why should the government have to work with the EC, after all they had no problem shouldering the cost of the election that they were warned would not be completed. Of course we know that PTP has refused to pay those costs and sees no need to cooperate with the EC at any time. Thaksin's proxies showing the world how childish they, and he, are.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Constitutional Court has on more than one occasion urged both the EC and the Phue Thai administration to work together. Why ? Because during the last four months Pheu Thai has refused to do so. How many news articles have been based on pleas by the EC to meet with Yingluck or Pheu Thai ? Too many to count. The EC is a constitutionally empowered agency. They are empowered to hold elections. But their duties go beyond that. They are empowered to give advice, to administer the electoral rules as they're set forth in the election laws, to follow the time-lines of same, and to make sure all these are implemented properly during the electoral period. After the election, they need to investigate allegations, and make conclusions based on those investigations. But every step of the way, Pheu Thai has decided to ignore the EC, and did instead the following -

- ignore the EC's suggestion that a February 2 election would be ill-advised, as there was no guarantee that the poll could take place without incident. ( They were right ).

- refusing to meet the EC time after time, preferring instead to tell them what to do to through the media.

- arrange a " forum " in order to over-rule an opinion of the EC !

- arbitrarily move registration venues against the EC's express wished not to.

- parachuting Pheu Thai candidates onto police stations which served as " make-shift candidate registration venues ".

- conducting all such candidate registrations outside the supervision of the EC.

- questioning the EC's authority in requesting a new decree for the eight provinces that did not vote on February 2, even as never before in the country's history had an election been spread out over two dates. Nonetheless, subsequently refusing to follow the EC's suggestion.

- questioning the EC's time-lines for candidate registrations, even though those are set forth in election law.

- even now, continuing to refuse to meet with the EC to arrange an election date, to discuss the dynamics of holding such an election, reviewing all the election rules upon which Pheu Thai must fully cooperate, and continuing to refuse to entertain the very legitimate request for a new election decree.

The Feb 2nd date is the constitutional limit. Polling day went ahead without violence, popcorn gunmen were prior to elections.

Arranged a forum to discuss ways to help EC, EC declined all offers of help and ultimately failed to run an election.

Parachuting and other nonsense is simply false.

The EC's job is hold and run elections. At every stage they obstructed them. They refused help clearing protestors from registration sites, refused to move those sites, and ultimately the election was annulled because of their failure to register candidates.

EC refused police offers of help to realse the ballot papers, refused army offers to deliver ballots, refused to file a police complaint against PDRC for blocking polling stations.

The played politics. The rice bonds they said they didn't have authority to approve, then threatened to sue anyone who says they were blocking the rice bonds, then approved the rice bond....shortly after the government agreed to let them mediate with PDRC.

They are currently under a duty under 236/6 to hold fresh elections, yet they are in contempt of that. The house is dissolved, a second dissolution decree does not dissolve it twice. EC's limit for finishing all elections and by-elections is 180 days. They have shown not intention of complying with their legal duty.

Somchai was of course appointed in December.

It's very difficult to understand how you can believe the opinions you express.

• Like 2

Maybe the other political parties or people who really want to see things change, will use the time given to build as much support as possible. Really is there not anyone else out there who are wanting to represent their community and work in their interests.

But I am sure there just is not the funds available for a new entity to start chewing up air time currently going to the reds, suthep, dems, PT and the other bunch of anchors that are holding this country back and making a mockery of every institution and principle at every damn opportunity.

Sigh...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another great statement from the EC to PT (Thaksin) . . . work WITH us or you will never even get close to having an election any time soon as we're the ones who run it and without our help and some compromise on PT's side of things, there will be NO elections.

The EC is attempting to dictate the applicability of the law. Look at what the EC is saying; there will be no election.

The EC is not supposed to dictate whether or not there will be an election. It's job is carry out the election. Again this is the EC interfering and it is the EC who are derelict in their duty.

Kid.. i thought you were educated.. probably a bit redsighted that you cant read good anymore.

They are saying we need to come to agreement so we don't have the same problems as last time. So please listen to us and come to discuss things instead of dictating like last time. If you don't we might not be able to hold election.

Seems to me they are asking from cooperation from the government instead of being dictated of what to do.. last time they were bullied into it and look what happened.

I never knew that the reds were that fast with rewriting history, last time the EC said its not a good idea... government bullied them pushed them so they did.. result.. invalid election.

It wasn't the Feb. 2, 2014 election that was unconstitutional. It was the followup election held at the 10% of the polling stations at a later date that was unconstitutional, albeit the Court got the wrong vote in their decision to nullify the election. The Court previously ruled that the election date shall be established by agreement between the Government and the EC which is how the Feb. 2, 2014 date was established. Both also agreed to the followup election date but magically that wasn't acceptable to the Court. It is the Court and the EC now that are bullying the Government to dictate to the Government terms and conditions for another election or the EC will continue to stonewall the elections and the Court will continue to nullify elections. Anyone who says Thailand operates in a democratic system of governance is simply all wet.

Happy Songkran.

• Like 2

Mr Somchai, please don't bother them now.

They are all resting, after the hard job they did for the past 3 years for this country.

Anyway, what elections are you referring too?

First reforms and then elections.

Do try to understand that.

WRONG, don't bother the Pheu Thai goons now, or the redshirt mercenaries, might be knocking on the door to send them to holy heaven, those EC bunch of pathetic cowards...

.... it's really sad, that unruly elite of Pheu Thai is taking laws into their own hands... this insanity must stop...

Democratically elected,... don't give me that crap.... 80% of Thailand has been bought AND blackmailed to vote for the ThaksinDEMOcracy, making it impossible for a fair turnout.... so that's why Thaksin could practically win every election, no matter how many times parliament is dissolved and reset, playing that easy-peazy "Election-Collection" cat and mouse game 4EVER....

Election my ***BEHIND*** .... N'ough said....

Do you have a source for the 80% bought and blackmailed statement. Surely you can back this up. Such a statement deserves a credible source.

No need for a source. It has been claimed twice now on Thai Visa so it is now a FACT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What's wrong with that?

If they had listened to the EC's advice the first time around then there wouldn't have been the fiasco of the nullified election. It seems that THE ONLY advice they listen to is that given by Thaksin and we all know the quality of that advice, don't we!!!

It is time for all good people to come to the aid of King and country. It is time to relinquish ties to political parties influential people and families. Think about your children and your children's children.

They will be the ones paying the taxes to cover the greed of politicians. wai.gif

Empty words,,what do you expect the "good people" to do? go out on the streets? we've had enough of that already and what good does it do? The "good people" have no organization behind them,no money, and no influence.Who are these "good people",how do we recognize them,,how do they recognize each other? The one's with halo's perhaps...........How about a general strike? wouldn't work here. No, Thailand is stuck in a rut,the times are gone where a Cromwell could raise an army and throw out a useless Parliament.........It's what you get when a country as a whole is apathetic and corrupt.

They are all resting, after the hard job they did for the past 3 years for this country.

The reforms are there and in place, it is just NONE of the parties follow them.

Firsty the government is required to hold elections within 60 days after government is dissolved, the EC knows this.

Also it's NOT up to the EC to set an election date, that is the prerogative of the government, that is the law and they know it, they can also be charged for not doing their job, and as far as the EC's THREAT to the government, I think that is disgusting and should be ashamed of themselves holding not just the government hostage but ALL THAI PEOPLE to their will have the election when we say or forget about it

The government is required to follow the law and the constitution - 3 years on is a bit late to start cherry picking which laws they want to follow according to their interpretation of the law.

Corruption, maladministration and negligence are not supported by the constitution yet this government had reached new heights in all those areas

edit - typo

Edited by issanaus
  • Like 1

holding not just the government hostage but ALL THAI PEOPLE to their will have the election when we say or forget about it

Several polls as well as the unprecedented snubbing of the Feb election have suggested the majority want reform before elections. Not one poll, but numerous polls. Do you have a poll or quantifiable measure to suggest otherwise?

I don't doubt it with proof, but with out it all you have is a "belief" that you suggest override my FACTS. Of course when I present facts they are demonized and decried and it is plots and conspiracies, but until you can provide another quantifiable measure I am afraid the only facts we have is they ones that go against your agenda.

The will of the Thai people suggest that elections can wait. That is the majority and because it does not suit the PTP agenda that majority voice is dismissed as it was with the amnesty and the constitutional referendum.

Edited by djjamie

What's wrong with that?

If they had listened to the EC's advice the first time around then there wouldn't have been the fiasco of the nullified election. It seems that THE ONLY advice they listen to is that given by Thaksin and we all know the quality of that advice, don't we!!!

Fiasco????? You can not blame that on Thaiksin It was all the supreme commander suthep and his THUGS fault

• Like 2

holding not just the government hostage but ALL THAI PEOPLE to their will have the election when we say or forget about it

Several polls as well as the unprecedented snubbing of the Feb election have suggested the majority want reform before elections. Not one poll, but numerous polls. Do you have a poll or quantifiable measure to suggest otherwise?

I don't doubt it with proof, but with out it all you have is a "belief" that you suggest override my FACTS. Of course when I present facts they are demonized and decried and it is plots and conspiracies, but until you can provide another quantifiable measure I am afraid the only facts we have is they ones that go against your agenda.

The will of the Thai people suggest that elections can wait. That is the majority and because it does not suit the PTP agenda that majority voice is dismissed as it was with the amnesty and the constitutional amendment.

YOU are crrect - numerous polls. But how many people were actualy polled????? A few 1000 out 60,000,000 Not a good sampling.

• Like 2

why are you posting this has nothing to do with you just shut up and leave to the thai people you are making your self stupid

• Like 1

Firsty the government is required to hold elections within 60 days after government is dissolved, the EC knows this.

Also it's NOT up to the EC to set an election date, that is the prerogative of the government, that is the law and they know it, they can also be charged for not doing their job, and as far as the EC's THREAT to the government, I think that is disgusting and should be ashamed of themselves holding not just the government hostage but ALL THAI PEOPLE to their will have the election when we say or forget about it

Slight correction. The date is normally set by the government "in consultation with" the Election Commission. Arbitrarily deciding on a date and forcing the EC to run elections against the EC's own advice was PT's choice.

As of right now however, they are now a "caretaker" Govt, not quite the same thing.

"next election will be further delayed or may never be staged"

This is Thailand.

Thais do not need an election. All the people prefer a selected leader, selected by our Supreme Secretary General Suthep.

Election is a big waste of money, and the only winner is the party that buys vote.

why are you posting this has nothing to do with you just shut up and leave to the thai people you are making your self stupid

Costa - Feel free to use my default reply for troubling responses like this.

"Don't demonize me, don't be condescending, don't quote my comments out of context, don't change the subject and don't cherry pick when replying"

These replies take me back to the bullies in primary school and mirror a Rak Chaing Mai 51 attitude and if the UDD supporters adhered to this principle they would have nothing to say. They adhere to it as much as the UDD adhere to the UDD principle #3.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

The will of the Thai people suggest that elections can wait. That is the majority and because it does not suit the PTP agenda that majority voice is dismissed as it was with the amnesty and the constitutional amendment.

YOU are crrect - numerous polls. But how many people were actualy polled????? A few 1000 out 60,000,000 Not a good sampling.

That is why polls that have been used since the 1840s to gauge the publics opinion have a minimum cross section of 1000 voters and the margin of error is +/- 5%.

Amazing that in nearly 200 years polls have been accepted, but in this corner of the world and only during this tiny time in polls history are they demonized and repealed as a true gauge of the opinion of the population. Only here and now while the PTP are in power are they rejected. That ethos is an overall litmus test of the PTP's lack of acceptance of the majority voice.

Give me some quantifiable evidence of the majority wanting elections as soon as possible to contradict my facts and we can have a healthy debate free of condescension.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Slight correction. The date is normally set by the government "in consultation with" the Election Commission. Arbitrarily deciding on a date and forcing the EC to run elections against the EC's own advice was PT's choice.

As of right now however, they are now a "caretaker" Govt, not quite the same thing.

I say again, It is the government that has the choice to set the election date, the EC can make suggestion ONLY... IT is the EC that are holding a political gun to the head of the Thai people and the government, My way or no way, illegal,!!! and they know it and so do you.

• Like 2

What's wrong with that?

Fiasco????? You can not blame that on Thaiksin It was all the supreme commander suthep and his THUGS fault

They were warned by the EC that they didn't have confidence in holding elections in the current climate and advised against it.

What did the PTP do? they arrogantly ignored this (what turned out to be sensible advice) and went ahead with them even though it was doomed from the beginning and proceeded to waste the best part of 4 billion baht!!!

I call that a 'full blown' fiasco.

• Like 2

I say again, It is the government that has the choice to set the election date, the EC can make suggestion ONLY... IT is the EC that are holding a political gun to the head of the Thai people and the government, My way or no way, illegal,!!! and they know it and so do you.
My way or no way. Sounds just like Thaksin/PT lol

What happens when the EC say they cannot complete a full election in one day because of let's say the protests for example? What then? Push on regardless same as last time cos that's what Thaksin wants? What will that achieve?

I'd be interested to know exactly what "rights" a "caretaker Govt" actually have in this instance. I suspect not as many as they think and are now finding out.

EDIT: by the way, if indeed it is the caretaker Govt alone that sets the date, then stop complaining, shut the &lt;deleted&gt; up, and get on with it then.

Edited by Tatsujin

WRONG, don't bother the Pheu Thai goons now, or the redshirt mercenaries, might be knocking on the door to send them to holy heaven, those EC bunch of pathetic cowards...

.... it's really sad, that unruly elite of Pheu Thai is taking laws into their own hands... this insanity must stop...

Democratically elected,... don't give me that crap.... 80% of Thailand has been bought AND blackmailed to vote for the ThaksinDEMOcracy, making it impossible for a fair turnout.... so that's why Thaksin could practically win every election, no matter how many times parliament is dissolved and reset, playing that easy-peazy "Election-Collection" cat and mouse game 4EVER....

The continued bleating of vote buying as the reason for the PTP election wins is tiresome. Maybe there is vote buying. However, it is not restricted to one political party. How do you think Suthep managed to deliver the south to the Democrat party over the years? In any case, it takes 2 parties to participate. Despite all the allegations of vote buying, there has been zero evidence to show that it actually benefits anyone.Votes are cast in secret and no matter how much money is given, that doesn't mean the vote for the party is assured.

The PTP is not taking the law into its own hands. It is asking the EC to respect the legally mandated time line for an election. It is the EC that is going beyond its scope of authority. The EC should just come right out and say it wants a change in government and intends to sabotage elections in Thailand until such time as it can guarantee the election of a group who will restore the old guard's place in Thailand.

Me too. I get tired of all these vote buying accusations - I'm in a rural village and there was NO vote buying by the guys standing for the elections where I am (in the North). It also seems to me that some posters on TV forget that the constitution required an election before a certain number of days expired after a dissolution of the parliament - she had no choice and the ones who stopped the election going ahead was not the PTP but the supporters of the bankrupt, accused murderer, fascist Mr S T. The E C were derelect in their duties to make sure the legal, authorized elections could be carried out. Didn't some of you sympathizers of the great leader see the news of that woman having to climb over the high wire fence so her vote could be cast? What about the 20 million who did vote - you seem to be blind and deaf to their cries for, 'respect my vote.' - I can't vote as I'm not a Thai but I do sympathize with all those who DON'T WANT this rabid, megalomaniac great leader and his backers to be the rulers of this great land where I have had the pleasure of residing for just on 20 years. It baffles me how I can read the same articles as you, see the same news items as you, keep informed from the internet from various sites and come out 100% against your assumptions - eg 80% vote buying, Ms. Yingluck is stupid, and so on - actually I know for a fact from Chiang Mai University that she was dux of her class so don't smear her good academic record with your lies. Even the spokeswoman of the Democrats had the said Yingluck was fleeing the country because of all the suitcases etc at the airport - lies lies lies - they belonged to another person and this was widely published in all Thai newspapers, even the Nation, but there was no reprimand or apology - sorry Ms. Yingluck but I hope the smear ends with a libel case against the liar of woman that she is - spokesperson of a bunch of murderers and liars who want to get their snouts in the trough like they did last time - the great leader still has court cases to give account why he authorized land in Phuket meant for farmers to be signed over to his buddies. In closing, let me ask who are the ones who have stopped the farmers getting their money from the BAAC - every time they tried to pay the farmers the followers of the great leader stopped them through intimidation, withdrawing funds, threats of violence.

NO, you may call me a red but I'm not, I'm a concerned citizen who is worried about the suffering of mums and dads and grandparents in the weeks ahead. - let the Thai get on with a full election and let democracy live - forget the rhetoric about vote buying - if isn't an issue any more - respect the vote!!!

It is not the vote buying that is the problem, it is irresponsible and unrealistic populist policies that win these elections and create all of the problems that exist today. These must be stopped and outlawed!!!

Costa - Feel free to use my default reply for troubling responses like this.

"Don't demonize me, don't be condescending, don't quote my comments out of context, don't change the subject and don't cherry pick when replying"

These replies take me back to the bullies in primary school and mirror a Rak Chaing Mai 51 attitude and if the UDD supporters adhered to this principle they would have nothing to say. They adhere to it as much as the UDD adhere to the UDD principle #3.

Thanks djjamie,

I learned to ignore responses like that.

May be he had a bad day and I hope he feels better now.

• Like 1

The continued bleating of vote buying as the reason for the PTP election wins is tiresome. Maybe there is vote buying. However, it is not restricted to one political party. How do you think Suthep managed to deliver the south to the Democrat party over the years? In any case, it takes 2 parties to participate. Despite all the allegations of vote buying, there has been zero evidence to show that it actually benefits anyone.Votes are cast in secret and no matter how much money is given, that doesn't mean the vote for the party is assured.

The PTP is not taking the law into its own hands. It is asking the EC to respect the legally mandated time line for an election. It is the EC that is going beyond its scope of authority. The EC should just come right out and say it wants a change in government and intends to sabotage elections in Thailand until such time as it can guarantee the election of a group who will restore the old guard's place in Thailand.

The continued bleating of vote buying as the reason for the PTP election wins is tiresome. Maybe there is vote buying.

I heard there is not only vote buying, but also use of intimidation and violence. Not allowing candidates of other parties to campaign.

Not allowing artists who are sympathizing with other parties to perform

And Thaksin is not supposed to interfere in anything....I am starting to feel sorry for you......having to wear a bib all the time to catch your dribble.

• Like 1