Phuket airport meter taxi mafia on video.....

FireMedic

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done OP.

Bad publicity is something that is understood here.

"Bad publicity is something that is understood here." - loss of money is understood more than bad publicity here. biggrin.png

Well the taxi drivers are making somewhat more aren't they.

And the arranger and police etc all get a cut.

Yes there is the big picture but do you expect them to see beyond their own sticky palms?

No one on this forum expects change to come next week. It's about keeping the pressure on the mafia.

It only takes a few desperate tuk-tuk drivers to accept 100 baht, instead of the monopoly price of 400 baht, and the whole thing could collapse rather quickly.

Agreed, but pressure on the powers that be who put pressure on the Police, who do then their job!

As to tuk-tuk drivers, I didn't manage to find any desperate ones last trip down there.......rolleyes.gif

I will never understand, why people wants to visit Phuket....

A boring, dirty and overpriced place. A lot of scam and rip off.

Yea, some 10 million or so tourists per year, all obviously misunderstood........

How many of these tourists make their vacation reservation through travel agencies?

These Agents certainly don't advise potential customers of the scams waiting for them at their "dream holiday" destination.

I guess, the average tourist never looks beyond the brochure pics of sunny beaches and smiling locals, before making the reservation.

They travel as "2-week millionaires", so why worry about a rip-off in some funny money, which they dont understand anyway.

Most tourists dont care, because they dont know any different.

Edited by attento
  • Like 1

Yea, some 10 million or so tourists per year, all obviously misunderstood........

How many of these tourists make their vacation reservation through travel agencies?

These Agents certainly don't advise potential customers of the scams waiting for them at their "dream holiday" destination.

I guess, the average tourist never looks beyond the brochure pics of sunny beaches and smiling locals, before making the reservation.

They travel as "2-week millionaires", so why worry about a rip-off in some funny money, which they dont understand anyway.

"They travel as "2-week millionaires", so why worry about a rip-off" - seems to be a lot of "2-week millionaires" from Russia buying their alcohol in 7/11 and Indian and Chinese "2-week millionaires" eating at street stalls.

This is the new demographic of "2-week millionaires" that Phuket, through the TAT, is now attracting. biggrin.png

Not much of their "millions" flowing into the Phuket economy.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Travel agents, of coarse they book thru them, they have the best deals unless you are a budjet expat booking

many months in advance with a budjet airline and looking for the cheapest guesthouse accomodation

Scams, are you talking about the ATM, credit card and computer scams, they are mainly not commited by thais but farangs

and cost tourists and some expats a lot of money, sometimes the cost of hundreds of taxi trips to the airport

Phuket in my opinion has the best beaches in Thailand and samui and the tourists like them, just ask a few

The 2 week millionaires as you call them can afford their holidays and like the Thai smiling people unlike some people

who think Phuket is expensive,What funny money are you talking about the Baht, all tourists check the exchange rate with their home country

and the funny money as you call it holds its value every well against all currencies, maybe its your home currency that is funny money

its the long term stayers who cannot afford to live here that think phuket is expensive

You have to wonder what their living standards were in their home country

Phuket expensive, what a joke

Such a shame for Thailand that everybody knows it's mafia/corruption and it's happening right out in the open and for years and years.

What corruption free country do you come from, if there is such a place coffee1.gif

And what mafai, There is no criminal organization collecting money from you to operate a business whistling.gif

Such a shame for Thailand that everybody knows it's mafia/corruption and it's happening right out in the open and for years and years.

Yes it's a shame but what can be done about it? people can complain but I can't see anything changing in our lifetimes, the only thing to do is distance yourself from the corruption as much as possible, I have a bike so I have no need to ever use taxi's, for me there are many more things to worry about like people speeding, jumping red lights, people driving the wrong way and no lights at night.

It is possible for people that live here and friends of the people that live here to make alternative pre arrangements which will avoid problems at the airport.

There is a hell of a lot wrong with this country but if you are law abiding and careful it's a great life! so much better than the UK!!

In all seriousness the op did a good thing in a bad way, raising your voice and threatening people with YouTube is only going to end badly, luckily it didn't this time, you have to be careful in a country where life is considered cheap!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Alwayssunny

Ignore the trolls Firemedic, you had the balls to speak up and you have probably made a small difference by getting it out on Youtube.

As for the saddos that try to make a point about your manner of speaking or your Thai pronunciation etc.

Do you see them getting off their collective <deleted> to do anything about the disgusting and worsening corruption on this island? NO!

I'm tired of them bleating on about "This is Thailand, accept things as they are" "Leave if you don't like it etc".

If more and more people made a noise as you did I believe there would be eventual change for the better in the transport system here.

Kudos to you. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Ignore the trolls Firemedic, you had the balls to speak up and you have probably made a small difference by getting it out on Youtube.

As for the saddos that try to make a point about your manner of speaking or your Thai pronunciation etc.

Do you see them getting off their collective to do anything about the disgusting and worsening corruption on this island? NO!

I'm tired of them bleating on about "This is Thailand, accept things as they are" "Leave if you don't like it etc".

If more and more people made a noise as you did I believe there would be eventual change for the better in the transport system here.

Kudos to you. clap2.gif

Are you going to the airport to make a video, talk down to the taxi staff and threaten them with YouTube? I thought not! manners cost nothing!!

Note; if more and more people did what the op did Thai people would respect us even less than they probably do already!! I'll sit here and watch other people make fools of themselves by being rude and confrontational!!

Edited by Alwayssunny

What corruption free country do you come from, if there is such a place coffee1.gif

And what mafai, There is no criminal organization collecting money from you to operate a business whistling.gif

I come from Sweden, there's no corruption like this in the open there.. there is mafia in Sweden, and there is corruption in Sweden,, but it is not allowed to go on like this in the open..

Go ahead and try open a competing tuk-tuk business in Phuket and see what happens... then come back and talk :)

Yes it's a shame but what can be done about it? people can complain but I can't see anything changing in our lifetimes, the only thing to do is distance yourself from the corruption as much as possible, I have a bike so I have no need to ever use taxi's, for me there are many more things to worry about like people speeding, jumping red lights, people driving the wrong way and no lights at night.

It is possible for people that live here and friends of the people that live here to make alternative pre arrangements which will avoid problems at the airport.

There is a hell of a lot wrong with this country but if you are law abiding and careful it's a great life! so much better than the UK!!

In all seriousness the op did a good thing in a bad way, raising your voice and threatening people with YouTube is only going to end badly, luckily it didn't this time, you have to be careful in a country where life is considered cheap!!

It's a very difficult task to set things straight, it's good that you mentioned speeding, jumping red lights, people driving the wrong way,, because I think the same people are to blame for that too. Police, lawmakers, politicians and finally, the people themselves.

• Like 1

The last Thai guy that tried to operate an independent form of transport here got dragged out of his vehicle and beaten up.

Maybe it was just road rage. cheesy.gif

same problem last time Im arrive in Phuket. The governor must do some thing

Usually I have an older lady who takes me back and forth for 600....She said she was unable to get me from the airport but didn't give a reason. I have a strong belief that she was well aware of what was going on and would not be welcome there. I was really tired after working for 4 days straight in Singapore and lost my mind. I probably just signed my own death warrant for posting this stuff.

Maybe had something to with the fact it was Songkran yesterday.

Also holiday prices in the taxis yesterday. Taxis raise their prices just like they do at Christmas and New Year in the West. Three times is a bit excessive though.

Correct. Because of special occasions like for instance Songkran, not only taxi prices but also for example ferry prices can go up.

The last Thai guy that tried to operate an independent form of transport here got dragged out of his vehicle and beaten up.

Wasn't there a guy years ago that wanted to the baht bus system like Pattaya that was shot in the face and killed at his home 2 days before they were supposed to roll? I'm sure that was just a misunderstanding also.

Wasn't there a guy years ago that wanted to the baht bus system like Pattaya that was shot in the face and killed at his home 2 days before they were supposed to roll? I'm sure that was just a misunderstanding also.

Yea they meant to shoot him in the heart!!!

• Like 1

I very much doubt it. But I'm sure you can give some kind of source for this.

Do you see them getting off their collective <deleted> to do anything about the disgusting and worsening corruption on this island? NO!

Kudos to you. clap2.gif

I actually agree with you. Let me pick you up and drop you off at the meter stand, and come back on tv and tell us how it went. giggle.gif

Do you see them getting off their collective to do anything about the disgusting and worsening corruption on this island? NO!

Kudos to you. clap2.gif

I actually agree with you. Let me pick you up and drop you off at the meter stand, and come back on tv and tell us how it went. giggle.gif

Pick up and drop off who?

I pay 134 baht from Bangkok airport to Pattaya in aircon buses. And 10 baht from Jomtien beach to Pattaya city. Phuket looks like a hell place to stay in so I will never go there.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I very much doubt it. But I'm sure you can give some kind of source for this.

The story as it was told to the media was as Iceman says, the driver of a baht bus between Kata/Karon and Patong was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition." That was 1997 and as a result the permit for that route remains open and available to this day.

Kudos to you. clap2.gif

Pick up and drop off who?

The person I quoted! blink.png

Go ahead and try open a competing tuk-tuk business in Phuket and see what happens... then come back and talk smile.png

Reserved for Thai nationals only, why would i be interested in opening a business here or anywhere in Thailand

especially anything to do with transporting people no money in it although there are a few expats who do it illegally

Made my money in Australia where i can own everything in my own name and never have to worry

about work or business again, money makes money its just hard to earn and save it in the first place

Need money to open a successful business here nowadays and quite a lot of it, which i am not willing

to invest here, but i will buy another house and or land if i can find one that is fairly priced and i do not

loose money on, which means if i do purchase a place i expect 5% capital gains after owning it 12 months

Not a 20% loss which i would expect with the way most property is currently priced here

i am quite happy to pay someone else to take me to the airport with no complaint about the cost, for everything

else we have our own transport and all the people i know here have the same