THAI aborts flight when a passenger goes berserk

webfact

THAI aborts flight when a passenger goes berserk

THAI-smile-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Smile Air was forced to abort a flight to Hat Yai shortly before taking off when a passenger abruptly unseating his safety belt and shouting to jump out of the plane.

The incident happened as Flight TG 2335 with 96 passengers and crews was taxiing on the runway of the Suvarnabhumi airport Monday awaiting signal to take off at 1.35 p.m. A passenger identified as 22-year-old Surin Langso, a resident of Satun province, rose from his seat toward the door and shouted to go out.

The shouting frightened other passengers and the alerted pilot decided to abort the flight and taxi the plane back to the tarmac. All passengers were evacuated to the departure terminal and their luggage reloaded and transferred to another TG Flight 2261 which departed at 3.20 p.m. instead. A retired government official Krisanai Langrangsimakul said he noticed unusual movement of the man when he rose from his seat, walking around and shouting to get out.

His shouts to open the door terrified other passenger and forced the pilot to return to the tarmac and evacuate all passengers to another flight.

The man was later detained by airport security guards and the airport police. Police said the man had air ticket so they have not filed charge against him as he remained unstable and might have mental problem.

THAI acting president Chokchai Panyayong apologised to passengers for the inconvenience caused by the evacuation and reloading of their luggage to another flight but confirmed the man has passed through normal security check as a passenger with proper ticket.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-aborts-flight-passenger-goes-berserk/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-15

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the future, it should be mandatory for all air passage passengers to obtain mental certification, from government appointed mental institution before one is allowed to book an air-ticket and/or board the plane.

This would cut down on a lot of un-necessary disturbance for other fellow travelers.

• Like 2

chotthee post # 5

In the future, it should be mandatory for all air passage passengers to obtain mental certification, from government appointed mental institution before one is allowed to book an air-ticket and/or board the plane.

This would cut down on a lot of un-necessary disturbance for other fellow travelers.

Like all those privileged people who can and do freeload on Thai to the detriment of fare paying passengers ?

fab4 post # 16.

Perhaps that idea could be applied to internet forums as wellwhistling.gif

Certainly would clip your wings if that criteria was applied here wouldn't itwhistling.gif

• Like 2

I'm sorry but what the actual hell?? They didn't press charges cos he had a ticket???

Let me guess, hi-so and connected then?

Let me guess, you can't read? Charges were not made at the time because he was unstable and maybe mentally ill, not because he had a ticket.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why was he so upset? Why did they have to transfer everyone to a different plane? Surely they could have led him away and then after sorting out the fuel wasted just taken off. Or am I missing something here?

Yeah, you sure are, you can never be sure what is in the luggage bay, best to reload and check the plane through out, the whole incident becomes a security breach, better to be sure than sorry. The plane was at taxi stage so fuel is not a problem.

• Like 1

While I do not like using Thai Airways, their service and costs must be on a par with Qantas now. I had the misfortune to have to fly with them on a regular basis and it was never a pleasant experience. I think it has to be said that, with the limited details available on this incident, they handled the situation perfectly. It seems to be a common sense approach that they have used which covered all scenario's adequately.

Until a person acts up when onboard it is pretty much impossible to pick out a potential troublemaker, the airline is then left to deal with whatever transpires in a safe and organized manner. To have this happen and then to complete the flight for the remaining passengers with only a couple of hours delay is (to me anyway) commendable and a pretty good effort.

I really don't understand what there is to complain about here?

• Like 2

A lot of jokes but there are a lot of people terrified of flying, maybe he was trying to beat his phobia of flying but his nerves got the better of him.

I must agree with this.

I have travelled most of the world yet ironically I have always hated flying.

With the MH370 thing, I am not looking forward to my next journey at all.

I am a nervy person at the best of times and paranoid at least.

It is easy to lose it when you least expect it, for all sorts of reasons.

In future every passenger must be checked about his mental stability before he is allowed to boarding a plane...

That'll decimate a large part of Thailand's future expat population then. biggrin.png

A lot of jokes but there are a lot of people terrified of flying, maybe he was trying to beat his phobia of flying but his nerves got the better of him

All joking aside I fully agree with the above. It took me years to conquer my fear of flying and I still work myself up inside before a flight. When I initially started flying as the plane revved its engines on the runway prior to taking off it took all my self control to not stand up and say "Stop I've got to get off"

• Like 1

Not really, since with that rule, fellow travellers would also have to add the very disturbing step of obtaining medical certification before each flight, since mental state can change rapidly.

Do doctors genuinely have the time to spare to have the following conversation process every day:

Patient - I need a bit of paper to say I am not mad

Doctor - Are you mad?

Patient - No

Doctor - But are you sure?

Patient - Yes

Doctor - Look at this picture, please say the first thing that comes to mind

Patient - A pretty butterfly, definitely not a murder scene

etc. etc.

Or, more likely

Patient - Here is 100 baht, I need a bit of paper to say I am not mad

Doctor - Here you go. Next.

It's not really very workable, or useful is it...

• Like 1