Stopped by police whilst riding motorbike... First time!

arnold40844

OP, you did the right thing and were reasonable. Well riding with a helmet is the law, so you legitimately broke that one, and no driver's license on you (not to mention the fact that you don't even have a Thai driver's license) is also a no no. (And really it isn't that hard to get one). Just because your Thai relatives tell you that the price should be lower or that you should have argued, don't necessarily believe them. I meant they are Thai...you are not. My feeling is that the Thai police are more tolerant of an overbearing loudmouth Thai, than they would be of an overbearing loudmouth foreigner. Really 400 baht isn't that big of a deal. Compare with the price of a ticket in your home country..and that in USA a cop is legally entitled to impound your car if you don't have your license. So mai bpen rai.Do what you are doing, and keep everything in stride.

Yes, I agree. Not sure about the driver's license though. Maybe just in Bangkok you need a Thai license. I have been stopped numerous times by the Ubon police and asked for my driver's license. I just show them my Nevada license and everything is fine. Been doing that for the past 5 years. Maybe Bangkok police are different, but I have never driven in Bangkok. All over Thailand, including Phuket and Chang Mai, but not in Bangkok.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, did not know that.... Thanks. Will have to go get this sorted but to be fair its a lot of hassle just to avoid the possibility of an occasional small fine. Its like with my visa, a consultant the other day wanted 50,000 to sort me out with a 1 year visa, its only a 20,000 fine if I dont bother to get one at all.....

Also UK full licence does not cover scooters over 49cc so unless you have Motorcycle group pass then even with IDP, still invalid - if you live here just go get your licences...

On one occasion I was busted in Bangkok for being in the outside lane, cost me 200 baht, call me stupid, but 10 minutes later I was busted again for the same thing. The first Policeman was very very happy to see me and take the money, the second was angry and just shouted at me about "Thailand, left-side", then told me to go !!

• Like 1

I doubt the sanity of anyone who rides a motorbike on a main road in Thailand. That anyone should choose to do so without a helmet is simply astounding. Being fined 400B should be the least of your worries. Death and serious permanent injury should be much higher on the list.

Still, it's your life to screw up as you wish.

So how should we travel around? Wearing a helmet prevents accidents does it? Maybe prevents the police stopping you!

• Like 1

Its only like a 1 km stretch of Srinakarin, I basically exit my Soi and can see the shop on the opposite side of the road, so near but yet so far away.... But yes i absolutely agree with you 1000%. There is no excuse for it other than acting like a complete and utter moron.

Srinakarindra without helmet: utter monkey !

What do you mean being in the outside lane?

On one occasion I was busted in Bangkok for being in the outside lane, cost me 200 baht, call me stupid, but 10 minutes later I was busted again for the same thing. The first Policeman was very very happy to see me and take the money, the second was angry and just shouted at me about "Thailand, left-side", then told me to go !!

What do you mean being in the outside lane?

Motorcycles are restricted to the left-hand lane, you are not permitted to ride in the middle or right-hand lane, eg Sukhumvit Road with three lanes

• Like 1

A reminder, most accidents happen within a few kilometers from home.

I'm astonished by the tourists with no helmet, short pants, and flip flops. And they have zero riding experience.

Don't let the size of these little Hondas lure you into thinking it's safe. OP has a ton of experience so will be okay on the roads, but those tourists are ignoring helmets and drinking are accidents in the making.

OP it's easy to get your Thai license. Passport, Residency permit, medical certificate and you've got it.

Also use ziplock bags for things like DL, passport( or photocopies) wallet etc.

I'm not a tourist, always ride with flip flops and shorts, 2,000 + km to Nong Khai and back a few months ago. Off after Songkran to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Rai, will take some protection....suncream :)

• Like 1

I think it depends on where you are located. In Surat Thani town, it is 200 baht and you have to go to the office to pay and they log it in a book at the front desk. Where you paid on the spot and your wife was unable to read the ticket I suspect that maybe it wasn't a real ticket. That's just me suspecting because you didn't have to go pay at the station.

They had made a very official looking station in a sort of pagoda thing... im pretty sure was from IKEA... It had a table and everything.

I think it depends on where you are located. In Surat Thani town, it is 200 baht and you have to go to the office to pay and they log it in a book at the front desk. Where you paid on the spot and your wife was unable to read the ticket I suspect that maybe it wasn't a real ticket. That's just me suspecting because you didn't have to go pay at the station.

On the rare occasions (!) that I have paid an "on-the-spot" fine, or a contribution to the "Police Widows & Orphans fund", I have never been given a ticket

Yeah, the last ticket I got was driving a car through a quiet little village in Wales, UK. While waiting at a set of traffic lights, I reached over and took my phone out of the hands free holder on my dash, I checked the time and a couple of text messages that had come through. Some sneaky copper was hiding to my right in an unmarked car in a church car park.

I got 3 points and a 5000THB (£100) fine. Then comes the conversation with your insurance company, the renewal price cost me around £300 more on the previous year, multiply that by the 4 years and it becomes an expensive mistake.

I tried to argue that I was not even on my phone, he said if you want to play that game then go for it, but if you lose in court the fine goes up to £2500.

No point in arguing, i did have the phone in my hand. I think what annoyed me was that i never use the phone whilst driving, that's why i had an expensive hands-free kit professionally fitted So many people I know blab away all day on their phones when behind the wheel, bombing down the motorway at 90 mph with a phone to their ear and they get exactly the same fine as I did...

They found a good location! If I needed to make a U-turn but saw a block, I'd just keep on going straight. SO yes, nice hiding place they found.

Edited by arnold40844

Right, did not know that.... Thanks. Will have to go get this sorted but to be fair its a lot of hassle just to avoid the possibility of an occasional small fine. Its like with my visa, a consultant the other day wanted 50,000 to sort me out with a 1 year visa, its only a 20,000 fine if I dont bother to get one at all.....

Also UK full licence does not cover scooters over 49cc so unless you have Motorcycle group pass then even with IDP, still invalid - if you live here just go get your licences...

Oh no!!! Arnold, are you seriously advocating living here without a visa in the belief that not having one will only incur a fine of 20,000 Bt? I have visited someone in the IDC (Immigration Detention Centre) before he was deported and blacklisted for lise I strongly suggest you learn a lot more about life here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I recently got dinged for 500 baht at a roadside check. Had my helmet on, had my stateside license, had my international permit but it was quickly pointed out that the permit didn't have scooters on it. I was given the option of getting a ticket and then driving to the courthouse to take care of it or paying the 500 baht on the spot. I opted for paying on the spot. Funny though he wouldn't accept the payment outside, we had to go inside the traffic shack and then I was allowed to pay it. I was in no mood to bargain or argue, just glad to get the h*ll out of there. As others have mentioned, that's a bargain compared to what it would have been back home.

Lesson learned, go get a scooter license and in the mean time don't venture out so far, keeping off the main roads.

• Like 1

If you're not going to wear a helmet on a rare occasion, Songkran is the time to take that risk. Oops isn't Songkran the most dangerous time to be out on a bike, let alone ride without a helmet.

Don't be thinking so much about how lucky you were with only Baht 400 fine, think about the luck in having arrived home safely.

THB 400??? That's a lot. I keep THB 200 under my seat and when stopped and asked to produce my papers (I don't have a Thai M'bike licence but I do have a Thai 5-year Car Licence) I just open the seat up and as soon as they see the THB 200 ... thanks ... no questions asked.

• Like 1

I have been stopped dozens of time in Phuket with no trouble, however one time my buddy gave the the officer lip (he was not

wearing a helmet) So I was also given a ticket because my chinstrap was not done up tightly enough. 200 baht each payable at

the police station. Needless to say I was not happy as numerous Thais going by with no helmets. Just a shakedown but collection

was done at the police station. I was stopped 8 months ago on Jomtien beach road. Wearing my helmet, showed my Canadian

license but for the first time ever I was asked for my international driving permit. (which was at my condo) The fine sheet he

showed me listed the fine as 600 baht. I could pay at the police station or pay him directly and avoid the walk/taxi and time going

to the police station. I offered 200 baht he said 500 baht I said 300 he said 500 I put 300 down on the counter of his police box

and walked out, got on my scooter and left. I would venture to say there is not a single police officer in Thailand who has not put a few

baht in his pocket. Some are simply more effective at it than others. Needles to say my international drivers permit is now

stored under the seat of my scooter. coffee1.gif

THB 400??? That's a lot. I keep THB 200 under my seat and when stopped and asked to produce my papers (I don't have a Thai M'bike licence but I do have a Thai 5-year Car Licence) I just open the seat up and as soon as they see the THB 200 ... thanks ... no questions asked.

You don't have a motorbike driver's license and you already have your 200 baht under your seat, to pay your fine?

That's completely insane as you already made your car license and you know how easy it is to get a driver's license for your moped.

A driver's license for your moped is about 200 baht....I'm shocked that so many here seem that Thai laws here can be bypassed, while scared shirtless of laws back in their country of origin.

Wait for an accident and you'll see why you need one. Time will tell.

No questions asked here.

Edited by sirchai

To be honest i was prepared for him to say 1500 THB, in that case I would have phoned the Mrs and have have her bring my bank card, would not have taken more that 5 minutes as I was literally less than 3km from my house. I need to sort out the Thai licence as soon as I can. Have not got a car here yet, currently shopping around.

Arnold

If its only 500 metres to the local shops-don,t jump on the bike again- walk its safer and healthier,just watch out for the traffic clap2.gif

A reminder, most accidents happen within a few kilometers from home.

I'm astonished by the tourists with no helmet, short pants, and flip flops. And they have zero riding experience.

Don't let the size of these little Hondas lure you into thinking it's safe. OP has a ton of experience so will be okay on the roads, but those tourists are ignoring helmets and drinking are accidents in the making.

OP it's easy to get your Thai license. Passport, Residency permit, medical certificate and you've got it.

Also use ziplock bags for things like DL, passport( or photocopies) wallet etc.

I'm not a tourist, always ride with flip flops and shorts, 2,000 + km to Nong Khai and back a few months ago. Off after Songkran to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Rai, will take some protection....suncream smile.png
I was simply pointing out that flip flops and shorts are not appropriate gear to ride a motorbike.

If you want to not protect yourself from the possibility of accident, go ahead.

the "I did it and I'm ok argument" does not validate it.

• Like 1

First of all OP, you did the right thing and being as polite as you were was perfect. I totally disagree with your wife and friends. Many police cannot be negotiated with in Pattaya. A friend of mine the other day tried and was politely turned down. The fine is pretty much 400 baht for no helmet and 200 for no license. When you get a written ticket then you will not be paying tea-money. I only paid tea-money once for speeding somewhere around Kolat and the money went (with a huge smile) straight into the policeman's pocket. I later found out it was more than an actual ticket would have cost so those people advising to get a ticket are correct for that reason. Getting a ticket means the money has to be accounted for and they must write it for the actual posted fine.

I find many police speak some English, generally enough to get their job done and some don't mind if you try to speak Thai, but some Thai's don't like it.

The reason you get a free pass for the rest of the day is so you don't get ticketed for the same thing, at the very least on your way home to get your helmet or license. If you own a helmet then you can't very well get yours until you get home. The police just don't bother telling you to go straight home and any subsequent police stopping you later in the day won't have to bother trying to figure out when your ticket was given and if you had time to correct the deficiency so they just give you a free day for the same offense. Yes, it's not the way it would be handled in the West, but it makes a certain sense.

Yes, they could have ticketed you for no license because your national license is not enough. Thai law states that you need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) and it MUST be accompanied by your national license to be valid since all the international is supposed to represent is a translation of your national license though none of the translations are in Thai. Nevertheless, that is what the actual law is. When it comes to enforcing that law you will get all kinds of enforcement to none at all. Some police will accept your national license without an IDP. If you have an international they probably won't ask to see your national license because they really don't understand the law or the purpose of the international driver's permit. They just know what they are told to look for.

I for one don't see any reason for giving them a reason to ticket me so I always wear a helmet except for tiny trips to our local 7/11 where I have NEVER seen police setup a checkpoint. And the first business I took care of when moving here 5 years ago was to get a Thai driver's license for both types of vehicles.

IDP: An IDP is only valid for one year. And an IDP must be endorsed for the vehicle you drive, car, motorbike or both. The IDP can only be endorsed for what your national license is endorsed for; bike, car or both. When the IDP expires you would have to go home to get another IDP so anyone planning on being here more than one year should get a Thai driver's license. Why so many people fight the idea of getting one I'll never know.

And yes you can get an IDP in Thailand, but that is based on your Thai Driver's license for other countries. An IDP obtained in Thailand is not for use in Thailand, but it would be good in your home country along with your Thai Driver's license.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 1

Mr BW Pattaya, I did not mean it as a tip for staying in the country. I just know a few people here that have had 1+ year overstays and are still here on Non'Os.

My wife and I have 2 children with Thai/British nationality yet I have had struggled with visas. The dealing with consultants who say they can get whatever visa you want as long as you pay the piper enough dough. My point was that if i'm unable to get a genuine visa to stay here based on my situation then I would rather be here illegally than encourage this industry of backhand corruption... even if I was and i'm not about to hand over 50k, technically i would be here illegally.

Oh no!!! Arnold, are you seriously advocating living here without a visa in the belief that not having one will only incur a fine of 20,000 Bt? I have visited someone in the IDC (Immigration Detention Centre) before he was deported and blacklisted for lise I strongly suggest you learn a lot more about life here.

A little trick that has worked sometimes. Before going out, put wallet in left pocket, 200 baht in right pocket. When stopped by BIB and asked to donate 500 baht to the Widows and Orphans fund, I pull 200 out of my right pocket and say sorry, only got 200. They have acceptedd it each time smile.png

• Like 1

Thank goodness for that. As it appears that you are legally married to a Thai lady just ask at immigration about a legal Thai marriage visa. Avoid agents, the last thing that you, your wife and children need is hassle. Good luck.......and please don't think I am being too critical

• Like 1

Its almost as if you think a helmet is some magical protection spell made of methril (dragon scales), I have to disagree. A full face helmet could actually give you a disadvantage when faced with people are throwing water. This place is literally less than 2km from my house.

I appreciate your comments and like I said earlier, from now on im wearing my helmet even when i go for a walk.

If you're not going to wear a helmet on a rare occasion, Songkran is the time to take that risk. Oops isn't Songkran the most dangerous time to be out on a bike, let alone ride without a helmet.
Don't be thinking so much about how lucky you were with only Baht 400 fine, think about the luck in having arrived home safely.

• Like 1