Should ASEAN change to driving on the left side?

Today there are 10 members of ASEAN 5 drive on the right side and 5 on the left. With the integration of the road system within ASEAN it would make sense for all countries to drive on the same side of the road. Considering that at the present time there are 77,902,000 more right side steering cars than left, it would make sense for all countries to switch to the left side. Especially since Vietnam is the only right hand side driving country that has any significant amount of cars. As a matter of fact in all of South and East Asia there are 58,192,000 more right hand steering cars than left. If you take China out of the equation the vast majority of South and East Asia drive on the left side. It is too bad that 20 years ago China didn't use some foresight and switch to the left then.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving on the left makes sense.

Most people are right-handed. In a right-hand-drive car the controls (gear stick, hand brake, most of the switches) are on the driver's left. This means that the right hand (best hand) is always in control of the steering wheel, while the left hand is used for ancillary activities.

However, in a left-hand-drive car it is easier to grab the gun out of the glove box, which is why driving on the right is more popular in some countries.wink.png

... especially the USA

• Like 1

If people can't get their heads round driving on the other side of the road they shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle.

I remember 40 yrs ago hiring a car in Spain, and accessing my first roundabout..It was terror event for all concerned, luckily without any accident. Looking back now, It was hilarious.biggrin.png

Driving on the other side of the road to what you are used to needs a little practice!

If anything, Asean will conform to a Chinese standard whistling.gif

Not the other way around. But probably will remain as is. (just my guess)

Below from wiki Red drives on the right side, Blue drives on the left

800px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_r

That shows just how much of the world is wrong then, doesn't it?! LOL

I do agree with other sentiments though... Thailand should be coloured magenta on that map! biggrin.png

Edited by sabai-dee-man

ASEAN countries driving on the right side and following the metric system sounds about the right thing to do.

Please explain the connection between the metric system and driving on the right! Thais use both imperial and metric system if you hadn't noticed so drive on both sides!

• Like 1

Other than for the use of inches, I don't see too much of the use of imperial here

And dispute all the comics out there, most Thais drive on the left, most of the time.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess if they don't change anything this is not problem at all.

In Europe there are also left and right driving also without problem.

If the ASEAN countries change it, the population will go halved. Just imagine if TH changes to right side. Brrrrrr

Talking of metric and imperial my wife mentioned the size of our hose block and I coulg not get it around my head she was correct. So I took my measuring tape outside and measured it myself. I then pointed out to her she was wrong . We argued for a while, then she pointed out to me there were six feet in one Thai yard. ??????

If people can't get their heads round driving on the other side of the road they shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle.

I am inclined to agree with Mooner. After all it only takes a little more concentration.

It must be hell to ever change the side of the road that cars use. Has any major country every tried it. I saw on a recent Top Gear that Burma moved from the left to the right but most cars there are still right hand drive.

Sweden switched from left to right driving in 1967

800px-Kungsgatan_1967.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

As any major change, the change of driving side takes some time for people to adapt.

Therefore it's better to do it gradually.

Week 1: Motorbikes and bicycles will switch to ride on the right.

Week 2: Cars and vans start to ride on the right

Week 3: Lorries, busses and the rest completes the change and switch to the right.

It must be hell to ever change the side of the road that cars use. Has any major country every tried it. I saw on a recent Top Gear that Burma moved from the left to the right but most cars there are still right hand drive.

Sweden switched from left to right driving in 1967

800px-Kungsgatan_1967.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

As any major change, the change of driving side takes some time for people to adapt.

Therefore it's better to do it gradually.

Week 1: Motorbikes and bicycles will switch to ride on the right.

Week 2: Cars and vans start to ride on the right

Week 3: Lorries, busses and the rest completes the change and switch to the right.

In other words, Total mayhem!

• Like 1