Panasonic Plasma TV from US connection to Truevisions HDMI HD Cable Box

tradecraft

Hi guys,

I moved to Bangkok from California last October and my plasma just arrived and setup. The TrueVisions installer just left but here's the problem that we can't figure out.

The box is connected to my TV via HDMI and in all 4 HDMI inputs on my TV, it keeps saying "No signal, please check connection." However, once I plug the HDMI connection to my Sony LED TV, it works right away. Am I missing something or do I need to take some extra steps?

Panasonic p50gt50 (and there's a thai version with a "t" at the end of the model)

True box HD-S200C

Cable not satellite.

I connect my laptop to the tv via HDMI and it's fine.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Did you try a different HDMI cable?

Have you looked in your TV's settings menu for a "reset to factory defaults" option? It's possible your previous config used a fixed resolution, color space, and/or framerate that your PC can recognize & output, but the Truvisions STB can't.

I have tried 3 different cables and they all work when plugged into the new Sony.

My Plasma is about 2 years old.

Talked to True and the sales girl told me that their box will only with with Thailand televisions. But then it's HDMI, so why does it matter?

I have not reset the plasma. Will do tonight I guess.

Thanks and appreciate any other advice, suggestions, and/or feedback.

I have tried 3 different cables and they all work when plugged into the new Sony.

Talked to True and the sales girl told me that their box will only with with Thailand televisions. But then it's HDMI, so why does it matter?

Try the factory reset option... if that doesn't work, your last resort might be to contact Panasonic and ask for them to load the Thai firmware into your set... assuming it's something like regional macrovision that's holding up the show...

If it's any help, I have a Truevisions satellite top box here in China operating on a Chinese made Panasonic and the picture is brilliant. In the many years past I seem to remember TV sets from different countries were not compatible, but I don't think any longer the case.

Is the HDMI logo appearing on your Plama TV screen? It may be a manual process to set up HDMI as default input the first time (and perhaps every time after someone mistakenly pushes a channel number on TV remote rather than cable box).

Looking around a bit regarding the issue and it may well be the PAL/NTSC standards issue. Yes, I know HDMI is digital and pal/ntsc is analog. However the 50Hz/60Hz part of it passes over to HDMI. So check if you can change your TV to PAL or the source device to NTSC. Read on some other forums some having the exact same issue.

Why NTSC and PAL Still Matter With HDTV
How Digital TV and HDTV Are Linked to Analog Television Standards

I did a reset to default and also reset to first time set up and I still get this no matter what... even chose Country - Other!

Please see attached image. I will try to see if I can set something in the Truevision box....regarding that Pal / NTSC issue.

post-198094-0-85542000-1397744232_thumb.

I did a reset to default and also reset to first time set up and I still get this no matter what... even chose Country - Other!

Please see attached image. I will try to see if I can set something in the Truevision box....regarding that Pal / NTSC issue.

Have you tried to manual choose the input source, as suggested in the message ?

Also is there on the True box a setting that can set the picture output as Native tv ?

Edited by JesseFrank

If all else fails, does the TV and Truevision box support 5-wire Component connection. You could try using a standard L/R/Audio cable and connect the Y | PB/CB | PR/CR output to the Y | PB/CB | PR/CR input on the set -- just as a quick test. If it works then you could purchase the correct 5-wire RCA connector cable.

Yes, this is an analog output and as such may blank out on some programs if a Copyright (do not redistribute) Broadcast Flag is detected by the Truevision box.

Thank you everyone for your input (no pun intended). However, I will have to postpone this project to another time (maybe next Songkran?). I don't think there's a workable solution to my situation.

True has said they will cancel my contract, and refund my 1000 Baht deposit if I cancel today. So its either buy a new TV or cancel. I just want to watch CNN live and maybe BBC News. The Plasma will serve as my monitor to watch iTunes and couchtuner.

Unless someone can watch CNN Live somewhere without Truevision?

The True set top box has a component output but you will have to go into the systems menu and lower the resolution to below 720p to get a picture. You can't get an HD signal from component. It's blanked out to prevent copying of HD material.

Your Sony will use the PAL colour system so no problem with the frame rate. The Panasonic will be NTSC which might not be recognised by the HDCP handshake.

The component output will be PAL.

Edited by Camelot

Thank you everyone for your input (no pun intended). However, I will have to postpone this project to another time (maybe next Songkran?). I don't think there's a workable solution to my situation.

True has said they will cancel my contract, and refund my 1000 Baht deposit if I cancel today. So its either buy a new TV or cancel. I just want to watch CNN live and maybe BBC News. The Plasma will serve as my monitor to watch iTunes and couchtuner.

Unless someone can watch CNN Live somewhere without Truevision?

It appears that the problem is the HDCP version in the TV and the only workable solution would be a firmware update from Panasonic TH... They are usually pretty helpful in cases like this, but I'm not sure if there's any hardware differences between US model GT50's and the TH ones..

I can tell you that the on-screen GUI for TH version ST50's and VT50's is completely different to US market ones though... Mine look nothing like the screenshots and videos I see from the USA.

I am with Camelot in this one

The signal from the True box will be PAL

TV's sold in Asia will handle PAL and NTSC

but your TV from back home may not

Best to check the model specs on the manufacturers web site.

This is why we here at Thai Visa recommend that people that move here don't bring foreign televisions to Thailand. They are so cheap here that what the OP spent for shipping and / or duty he could have bought a TV that was guaranteed to work

I brought a whole container of things so this TV fit, I didn't think I'd have a problem since I verified with True that they have HDMI connections on all their new boxes.

Worse case I'd use it to connect to my laptop, which is what I guess it is limited to now. TV's practically brand new and I LOVE my Plasma TV!

I will be perfect for blu ray movies in my coffee/wine bar in Thonglor.

Edited by tradecraft

This is why we here at Thai Visa recommend that people that move here don't bring foreign televisions to Thailand. They are so cheap here that what the OP spent for shipping and / or duty he could have bought a TV that was guaranteed to work

I brought a whole container of things so this TV fit, I didn't think I'd have a problem since I verified with True that they have HDMI connections on all their new boxes.

Worse case I'd use it to connect to my laptop, which is what I guess it is limited to now. TV's practically brand new and I LOVE my Plasma TV!

You might want to research to see if an (comparatively) inexpensive HDMI-HDMI converter-adapter might offer a solution. A quick google search for Pal HDMI to NTSC HDMI Converter

When I did the search just now a couple of hits had "Supports 50/60Hz frame rate conversion (can be used for Pal/NTSC Conversion)" in the response.

You might want to research to see if an (comparatively) inexpensive HDMI-HDMI converter-adapter might offer a solution. A quick google search for Pal HDMI to NTSC HDMI Converter

When I did the search just now a couple of hits had "Supports 50/60Hz frame rate conversion (can be used for Pal/NTSC Conversion)" in the response.

This is my fix! http://www.amazon.com/Orei-XD-1090-Premium-Converter-Technology/dp/B00A7B0YZI/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GQASBF9BZKGEBW4BMKX Thanks Langsuan Man! Please allow me to buy you a coffee or wine when my business opens in a few months.

This is my fix! http://www.amazon.com/Orei-XD-1090-Premium-Converter-Technology/dp/B00A7B0YZI/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GQASBF9BZKGEBW4BMKX Thanks Langsuan Man! Please allow me to buy you a coffee or wine when my business opens in a few months.

Just make sure you get it sent by FEDEX then you can come here an complain about the Duty you had to pay

Just make sure you get it sent by FEDEX then you can come here an complain about the Duty you had to pay

I thought no duty on small electronics? I've ordered cell phones from ebay with 0 duty. well, someone can always bring it to me.

Edited by Tywais
Fixed quote

• 2 weeks later...

I thought no duty on small electronics? I've ordered cell phones from ebay with 0 duty. well, someone can always bring it to me.
He is saying that Fedex and their ilk always charge duty.. better to send via USPS.

Also isn't it Richcor you owe the coffee / wine to?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick one .... How much duty did you pay for importing your tv into the country? I'm getting a tv with me as a present i got at work and i'm stumbled on how to get it back to Thailand and how much duty i might pay at the airport?