Isaan swept by another storm

webfact

Northeastern Thailand swept by another storm

PNDAT570417001000101_17042014_111715.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 April 2014 (NNT) – Thailand’s northeastern provinces have been struck by another summer storm, causing damage to houses and public utilities.

Non Sa-at District in Udon Thani Province was hit hard by another storm, the fifth one this month. Twenty power line poles have collapsed onto a restaurant and a resort, while houses and other public utilities were heavily damaged by the strong wind. However, there were no reports of injuries.

As for Bueng Kan Province, a storm swept the entire area of Ho Kham Sub-district and ravaged 200 houses, damaging household and electrical appliances. As of now, authorities are assessing the damage and assisting the victims.

Meanwhile, in Phitsanulok Province, forty soldiers from the Naresuan Maharat Military Camp are helping residents fix their houses that were destroyed by a storm on April 14.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-17 footer_n.gif

I am sorry to say, that what I saw of so-called "storms" in the Isan in the eight years I am living there, I can not call storms.

OK, it was "stormish".

But not storm at all in the sense I know storms.

The problem is, in Thailand, any building not built to withstand more wind as a stiff breeze.

• Like 2

I am sorry to say, that what I saw of so-called "storms" in the Isan in the eight years I am living there, I can not call storms.

OK, it was "stormish".

The problem is, in Thailand, any building not built to withstand more wind as a stiff breeze.

Disagree.

I have travelled Europe, Asia and Middle east wide. Lived for decades near the North Norfolk coast in the UK, where we had many winter gales and storms off the North sea. Nothing, but nothing came close to a storm i experienced here in Udon province about 5-6 years ago. Annually we have some nasty summer thunder storms in NE Isaan and every year i lose at least a couple of our mature rubber trees. 3-4 years back, in another bad storm, our area was on national tv, hundreds of rubber trees down. Strange, devastation in one one place, 300m down the road nothing, then repeat.

Why do the not put the power lines underground ? As they do everywhere in the modern world. In Thailand it`s just a wonder that it works sometimes : 5555555555 The Thai do not know better, and they do not listening to anybody telling them how it`s done in the civilized world. ha, ha, ha, ha 5555

• Like 1

Why do the not put the power lines underground ? As they do everywhere in the modern world.

One explanation I've heard is because of Thailand's unusually high water table, making underground installation problematic.

Was hit with a storm yesterday afternoon near Khamcha-ee Mukdahan with cyclonic winds that I would estimate between 120-160 km/h that lasted an hour I have got rubber trees down everywhere and the clean up is still going on

A little bit of hail in it too. Quiet a few houses in the village had there roofs removed.

Storm only about 2km wide but did some damage.

OK, it was "stormish".

Disagree.

I have travelled Europe, Asia and Middle east wide. Lived for decades near the North Norfolk coast in the UK, where we had many winter gales and storms off the North sea. Nothing, but nothing came close to a storm i experienced here in Udon province about 5-6 years ago. Annually we have some nasty summer thunder storms in NE Isaan and every year i lose at least a couple of our mature rubber trees. 3-4 years back, in another bad storm, our area was on national tv, hundreds of rubber trees down. Strange, devastation in one one place, 300m down the road nothing, then repeat.

I don't know of course, but what is being described in various posts here sounds like what we call a tornado. It can be very narrow, taking out some things while leaving others next to them untouched. It can lift up from the ground and then touch down again, doing damage only where it touches down. It might travel along the ground at 20-30 kph.

If strong enough it can lift trees by the roots and toss other things around. There is usually hail associated with them. They can lift the roof off one house, but not touch the houses on either side. The damage is in a row.

They can also be quite wide, maybe up to 1/2 km, but the damage is still limited to their width, and to where they actually touch down.

Again, what would I know about these Isaan storms?

Why do the not put the power lines underground ? As they do everywhere in the modern world.

Outside of cities the vast majority of power lines in the UK are overground. A country most regard as quite modern.

Here in Australia most power lines are above ground.