Pro-Govt lecturer loses contract with Chulalongkorn University

webfact

This is so red shirt like. They always blame others or say there's a conspiracy when something goes against them. How about you really ARE 'average' as an academic and you deserve to be shown the door?

Maybe some other second string university will take you. RBAC maybe?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its an open secret that chula supports the yellow bullies.

one day its the thugs in the protest groups bashing their opponents on the street, next day its a boss firing someone for holding a different political opinion.

nothing new really, just the typical intolerance of these fascist yellow shirt people on display once again

"Academic freedom" at the nation's premier institution of higher learning...

" Ms. Suda added that she is determined to continue her political activism despite the university's decision. "

Then it seems she will be happier. ( As well as perhaps some of her students ).

"university has decided otherwise, citing her "average" academic performance"

Next time I loose a contract because our product isn't good enough, I will also complain that it is because of my political opinion or because of my skin color or because of my religion or just because I am too handsome.....

And most probably she mixed lecture and propaganda.......

" Ms. Suda added that she is determined to continue her political activism despite the university's decision. "

Then it seems she will be happier. ( As well as perhaps some of her students ).

Next time I loose a contract...I will also complain that it is because I am too handsome.....

A cross we must both bear as we flit from contract to contract...

This is so red shirt like. They always blame others or say there's a conspiracy when something goes against them. How about you really ARE 'average' as an academic and you deserve to be shown the door?

wow, hook line and sinker, the gullibility of some posters on the internet never ceases to amaze me

• Like 1

I see parallel in the removal of Thawil and Suda except that Suda has no friends in the courts.

Shes no fool. All she has to do is find one other lecturer with an average review and she has a case. Since when is average a reason to fire someone anyway.

If they have been discriminatory they deserve the book thrown at them. Disgusting.

• Like 2

The university informed you that your contract would not be renewed, because of your average academic performance, not because of your political views. So why are you making it political?

Because, the university has apparently not had any issues with the continued employment of lecturers who have performed at a standard lower than this person: That's part of the story that was not mentioned.

I have no issue with a university not renewing a contract. i wish they could do it with some tenured profs. Unfortunately, the process of the non-renewal was not managed properly and the issue of political bias has been raised.

wow, hook line and sinker, the gullibility of some posters on the internet never ceases to amaze me

I'm never amazed when the red apologists here on TV come out to defend one of their own, no matter how ridiculous it is. These people keep repeating the same mantra till they actually believe their own BS. thumbsup.gif

The university informed you that your contract would not be renewed, because of your average academic performance, not because of your political views. So why are you making it political?

Because, the university has apparently not had any issues with the continued employment of lecturers who have performed at a standard lower than this person: That's part of the story that was not mentioned.

I have no issue with a university not renewing a contract. i wish they could do it with some tenured profs. Unfortunately, the process of the non-renewal was not managed properly and the issue of political bias has been raised.

Oh really? So which lecturer do you know in Chula who has continued to keep his or her job when they have performed a lower standard? Seriously, do you have have any proof or are you just taking the word of the person who lost her contract? I'm pretty she's a great judge on who's performing well and who's not! clap2.gif

Oh really? So which lecturer do you know in Chula who has continued to keep his or her job when they have performed a lower standard? Seriously, do you have have any proof or are you just taking the word of the person who lost her contract? I'm pretty she's a great judge on who's performing well and who's not! clap2.gif

Well, that is likely to be her case. I can't wait to have the assessment ratings and system for Chula blown out into the public domain.

Could be hilarious to watch.

Hi Eric,

the article mentioned that Ms. Suda the leader of the Declaration of Street Justice group. Do you know something about this organisation?

I´ts a shame that this forum is not about open minded communication or plurality of opinion. It´s seems that some "government haters" are more brainwashed, primitive and manipulative than the reds.

Tom

Chula is hotbed for anti government academics. No wonder she was singled out and ostracized at the very first chance by the administrators. Shameful act.

Hi Eric,

the article mentioned that Ms. Suda the leader of the Declaration of Street Justice group. Do you know something about this organisation?

I´ts a shame that this forum is not about open minded communication or plurality of opinion. It´s seems that some "government haters" are more brainwashed, primitive and manipulative than the reds.

Tom

Chula is hotbed for anti government academics. No wonder she was singled out and ostracized at the very first chance by the administrators. Shameful act.

Tom, Declaration of Street Justice group was formerly known as Release of Political Prisoners Groups. Formed to voice concerns for prisoners human rights abuses and amnesty for political prisoners. The group recognized and agree with the Nitrat Law Group on A112 reform which may not be acceptable to the Chula board.

Agreed with you that it seem the more educated PDRC supporters seem to have a short fuse and not engage in meaningful rebuttal.

Or there again, her performance is not acceptable and she didn't get her contract renewed. Rather than dispute this she claims persecution.

She should first show why she believes her performance to be greater than that deemed by the university.

It's like Yingluck saying she's being treated so terribly unfairly - but can't be bothered to counter facts with facts.

The situation of other people is irrelevant. You can't expect the "I'm only average but they're old" to hold water. Indeed ageism is now against the law in many countries.

You'll be hard pushed to find anyone with harder anti PTP views than me.

However, the dismissal of a university lecturer where there is even a suggestion that politics is at play is a serious matter and deserving of an independent review.

As an aside, I'd also like to see an investigation into the appointment of PTP supporters into key positions at provincial universities and the ensuing dismissal of lecturers who have anti government political views.

Political interference in accademia is a very serious matter with far reaching impacts on society - this case and others like it deserve independent review.

I agree. The conduct of these institutions is pathetic. But look at the doctors last week costing up to Suthep.

These.people are thoroughly unprofessional. But they are pooyais who demand respect when in reality they are selfish intellectual ninnies.

I know that it is almost unheard of in Thailand.

But is it possible the University is lying?

They could be lying. Or they could be telling the truth and this lecturer is the one who is lying or thinks too highly or herself.

They could be lying. Or they could be telling the truth and this lecturer is the one who is lying or thinks too highly or herself.

How do they have any lecturers if they only keep the above average ones? That's a maths question by the way.

Edited by Thai at Heart

How do they have any lecturers if they only keep the above average ones? That's a maths question by the way.

How do you know this lecturer is even 'above average'?

average thats way to bright for a pro government supporter surely..w00t.gif

Your post clearly demonstrates that she is way above your level. That is further evidenced by your abject failure to comment on what, if true, is blatant corruption in the university: "What is worse than my case is ... some senior lecturers in the bureaucracy who can simply extend their own working contracts endlessly," Ms. Suda told Khaosod, "They can get the retirement money and still receive salary from the university." Do you condone that practice?

And above yours if you believe what she says or is reported.

average thats way to bright for a pro government supporter surely..w00t.gif

Your post clearly demonstrates that she is way above your level. That is further evidenced by your abject failure to comment on what, if true, is blatant corruption in the university: "What is worse than my case is ... some senior lecturers in the bureaucracy who can simply extend their own working contracts endlessly," Ms. Suda told Khaosod, "They can get the retirement money and still receive salary from the university." Do you condone that practice?

If she is on a contract and not tenured then the university has the right not to renew that contract without giving a reason.

That they gave a good reason is enough.

They actually don't HAVE to renew the contract at all. Ask any contract worker that and you will get the same answer.

This is wrong. If her performance was "average," then it's similar to the other average instructors at the university. As is clear from my posts addressing PTP governance, I find much to criticize, there. But firing people for political beliefs at a university is downright wrong and diminishes the credibility of the institution--if that is what happened, here. Thailand needs a transparent tenure system to fight corruption in education, as similar reforms are needed to fight corruption in government and business. It doesn't matter what color shirt the victim is wearing.

She wasn't fired. They simply didn't want to renew her contract.

She was NOT employed by the University but merely had a yearly contract which wasn't renewed.

Tough. Ask any contractor about contract renewals and they will tell you that for a couple of months before the renewal date you are actively looking for work.

I quote that from being a contractor for 10 years and working with them for 10 years before that.

As a contract worker there is NO job security which is why you get paid more money.

If you want job security then work directly for the university and get paid less and a better chance of keeping your job.

Stop whining about how hard done by you are and go find another job.

Edited by billd766

This is wrong. If her performance was "average," then it's similar to the other average instructors at the university. As is clear from my posts addressing PTP governance, I find much to criticize, there. But firing people for political beliefs at a university is downright wrong and diminishes the credibility of the institution--if that is what happened, here. Thailand needs a transparent tenure system to fight corruption in education, as similar reforms are needed to fight corruption in government and business. It doesn't matter what color shirt the victim is wearing.

She was NOT employed by the University but merely had a yearly contract which wasn't renewed.

Tough. Ask any contractor about contract renewals and they will tell you that for a couple of months before the renewal date you are actively looking for work.

I quote that from being a contractor for 10 years and working with them for 10 years before that.

As a contract worker there is NO job security which is why you get paid more money.

If you want job security then work directly for the university and get paid less and a better chance of keeping your job.

About 99 percent of all contracts at Thai universities are rolled over automatically--until you hit age 60. You don't even need to publish to keep a job, here. Teaching at a university is not the same as being a plumber or some IT consultant. If you don't understand that, there is no need talking with you.

It's not really about her but the university. We know there's no security with a contract like this and if they didn't renew it because she wasn't good enough then fine. If it was because of her political views then I don't think that's how a university should behave.

• Like 1

Toimross posted

Doh

Because the university supports the Dems Tom - put the leo bottle down and quit playing the denial game ... there you go

• Like 1

How do you know this lecturer is even 'above average'?

They claim she was average. I never said she was above average.

Well average didn't cut it. She should just go quietly and save herself the embarrassment.