Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ignis: Looking ay my motorcycle DL, I can't find any 'Type 6' designation thereon.

What document are you referencing?

JD: I agree with you but curious about the source of information you used to come to the opinion.

I've heard that side-cars are not really legal either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

Bikes sold originally with a sidecar are legit. Aftermarket additions, not so much.

I applied for a tuktuk license several years ago and I was refused.

Ignis; from your link:

There are ten types of driving licence issued in Thailand. Seven main types are listed and explained below. [2]

• Type 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year. Licence holders are not permitted to drive outside the country.
  • Type 2 - Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have possessed Temporary Licence for a period of one year. This licence is valid for a period of five years. Private Lifetime Car is no longer issued to new applicants but remains valid to existing holders.
  • Type 3 - Private three-wheel vehicle: This licence is issued to those who wish to drive three-wheel vehicle, commonly known as Tuk-Tuk.
  • Type 4 - Commercial Car: This licence is issued to those who wish to commercially operate private car such as taxi and other privately owned taxi.
  • Type 5 - Commercial three-wheel: This licence is issued to those who wish to commercially operate three-wheel vehicle such as Tuk-Tuk drivers.
  • Type 6 - Motorcycle: This licence is issued to those who wish to drive motorcycle.
  • Type 7 - Road work licence: This licence is issued to road construction vehicle drivers.

If I'm not mistaken there exists a temporary and a 5-year motorcycle license, which does not jive well with Wiki's list. Are they both Type 6?

JD: All the ones I've seen seem to be aftermarket additions.

Edited by papa al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well this bike seems to be rolling out in Europe/Australia now so you can enjoy some English reviews.

I still like my bike but I hope more aftermarket parts come out.

I'd still like to get a nicer muffler but not liking what is available now.

Still no stem that allows MX bars on it like the PCX; I want to put on higher bars since I raised my seat.

These Ohlins rear shocks seem like overkill at 16K thb.

http://www.kdprojectracing.com/product/1278/ohlins-yamaha-tricity-2

Would be really sweet if someone made aftermarket wheels but there would have to be a lot more sold worldwide before someone makes those.

It would be ridiculous and I wouldn't buy them, but maybe someone would make spinners if the hip-hop/rapper crowd likes them.

Edited by ttakata

I haven't looked at any mods yet. I was over at CRMA today and a man on a bicycle stopped me to ask about the Tricity. I let him take it for a spin and he loved it. (found out after that he is the new C.O. there. Always nice to meet new friends:)

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the BB kit is in the silly price range.

Anyway, my stock bars felt low because I raised my seat a lot.

So I solved my problem instead of waiting forever for a custom stem to hit the market.
This is all possible since some Thai guy figured out a TTX stem fits on this bike.

http://www.tricitythai.com/forum/index.php?topic=121.0

His TTX stem and cover look too high for my liking.

So I looked at the parts catalogs (just search the web) of the Fino and TTX and they share the same steerer (notice the strange cross bar in the stem that centers it to the steerer).

The Fino's stem looks shorter in the catalog so I took a chance and ordered it along with the clamps, bolts, Fino bar, etc. (~1500b total @ Yamaha Square).

The Fino bar was a waste of money, it is way too low.

NOTE: you need a spacer the same height as the welded on one in this pic. Why a Fino stem has only 1 spacer welded on is a mystery.

2014-12-11214829.jpg2014-12-11214747.jpg2014-12-11214728.jpg

These handlebars are "Racing Boy Transformer" (3650b @ Likit Racing) and quite awesome for finding many bar positions since each side has 4 axes of rotation and 2 of width!

They fit any 7/8"/22mm/standard bar clamps.

In a very narrow position they barely clear the bodywork and it rode dangerously twitchy.

So with 1" bar risers (Racing Boy, 900b) I can adjust width fully with no fear of messing up the body.

At full bar width the ends of the grips are about the same width as the passenger pegs extended.

So I figure the bars and pegs being the same width would give me the best odds of not scraping a car but I still go fast between stopped traffic.

I re-routed the throttle cables above the frame to get more slack but don't feel like getting longer custom brake lines so left them alone.

So these pics show the grips sitting as high, wide, and far back as they can go without affecting the lines.

2014-12-17134736.jpg2014-12-17134817.jpg2014-12-17134826.jpg

The cut up Fino plastic stem cover isn't a perfect fit but being black it's not too bad.

Although I can ride the bike as shown; I will extend all the wires to get those connectors below the bodywork.

2014-12-17134754.jpg2014-12-17134744.jpg

These have to be the best handlebars for smaller bikes because you can really dial in the grip location.

These pics are maximum width so these bars would probably feel narrow on a big dirt bike, but you could always just replace the clamp tube with a wider one to make it work on any bike.

• 2 months later...

I got the Michelin City Grip and have no complaints.

I don't ride mine aggressively so can't imagine ever losing grip with these tires.

The Tricity may come with ABS soon, sort of an odd choice when so many 2 wheel Yamahas could use it more.

Not sure if all of them as it says limited edition.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/2014/product.php/type/automatic/title/Yamaha%20Tricity%20(2015)(ABS%20Edition)

I guess ABS can't hurt but will have to see what it does to the price.

It's great to see trickle down technology.

A 125cc with ABS; didn't see that coming.

I wonder when bicycles will have ABS since they often cost more than a bigbike.

Thanks, I will take a look.

I need tires and a cargo box. I am doing longer trips than I expected to :)

I suggest the bigger top boxes since even my Givi e55 poses no hindrance to getting through traffic.

Problem is the e55 is overpriced junk because it has plastic locks that let the box open and lots of ABS trim that cracks easy.

Maybe a big Shad or Coocase is better.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a call from Yamaha.

Recall has been issued for the gas cap.

BTW the gas cap replacement took as long as I expected.

About 2 minutes to record it in my book and I was finished.

• 2 months later...

This is not a reply it is more like a about experiences with the Tricity

We were travelling with our Tricity for 5 days doing a roundtrip to Nongkai – Chiang Kan – Loei – and up through the mountains through the Nam Nao National Park – Chumphae – Nong Bua Lamphu _ Udon and back home. The trip covered 1000km.

Originally we wanted to pass to Lao and travel up to Luang Prabang...but

over 2 hours we were running from border office to office, filling papers and had finally to accept that the Lao people do not let us in......It was a show of many, many office people doing nothing, knowing nothing and finally they said.....motorbikes with less than 250cc cannot go into Lao, big bikes would be no problem. Next time I will have to take the car. So we spent our time and our money in Thailand LoL.

We followed the Mekong up and had some really nice days in the mountains. It was spectacular and travelling out in the nature and stopping for sightseeing is easier than with a car...we will do it again.

We travelled with two bags and the total weight of the two of us was something around 160kg.

Positiv: The disk brakes, I had to brake because of a stupid dog from 80 kmh down to 30kmh in wiff and it was no problem at all. The handling on rough roads is classes better and safer than with one of the normal small bikes.

Because of the room in front it was easy to carry my wifes bag between my legs...with a PCX I would not know were to have the thing.

Negativ: With our weight the rear shocks are too weak and hit often through.

Passing a truck was always a little tricky...above 80kmh there is not much coming and with our weight more than 85 kmh go only downhill.

So I want to have the shocks changed and I as well want to have a tuneup done. The problem...I do not know any shop in the Isaan around Udon or Sakhon doing such a thing...if somebody could help I would appreciate it.

This is not a reply it is more like a about experiences with the Tricity

We were travelling with our Tricity for 5 days doing a roundtrip to Nongkai – Chiang Kan – Loei – and up through the mountains through the Nam Nao National Park – Chumphae – Nong Bua Lamphu _ Udon and back home. The trip covered 1000km.

Originally we wanted to pass to Lao and travel up to Luang Prabang...but

over 2 hours we were running from border office to office, filling papers and had finally to accept that the Lao people do not let us in......It was a show of many, many office people doing nothing, knowing nothing and finally they said.....motorbikes with less than 250cc cannot go into Lao, big bikes would be no problem. Next time I will have to take the car. So we spent our time and our money in Thailand LoL.

We followed the Mekong up and had some really nice days in the mountains. It was spectacular and travelling out in the nature and stopping for sightseeing is easier than with a car...we will do it again.

We travelled with two bags and the total weight of the two of us was something around 160kg.

Positiv: The disk brakes, I had to brake because of a stupid dog from 80 kmh down to 30kmh in wiff and it was no problem at all. The handling on rough roads is classes better and safer than with one of the normal small bikes.

Because of the room in front it was easy to carry my wifes bag between my legs...with a PCX I would not know were to have the thing.

Negativ: With our weight the rear shocks are too weak and hit often through.

Passing a truck was always a little tricky...above 80kmh there is not much coming and with our weight more than 85 kmh go only downhill.

So I want to have the shocks changed and I as well want to have a tuneup done. The problem...I do not know any shop in the Isaan around Udon or Sakhon doing such a thing...if somebody could help I would appreciate it.

A tuneup can be done at Yamaha dealers.

You can ask around at bike shops that do racing mods but be careful about your warranty

You could mail order the parts or find local dealers of these shock brands.

I'm sure these shocks may work well.

http://www.auto2speed.com/product-th-1064216-6035333-%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%8A%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%84YSS+G+Plus+TRICITY++%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%86%E0%B9%86%E0%B9%86.html

I can guarantee these are as good as suspension gets for this bike since this brand is on most top level racing bikes.

http://www.kdprojectracing.com/product/1278/ohlins-yamaha-tricity-2

• 2 weeks later...

Original seat is very uncomfortable for me. I am 186 cm tall/80kg. Have anybody this accessory seat? http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/pl/products/scooters/new-mobility/tricity.aspx?view=accessories&partcode=2CM-F47C0-00-00&year=2015

I am not sure how much for it in thailand, but in europe it is very expensive, so I hope it is not only different cover, but completely different seat.

Sounds like me .... wish I was that young again! lol Anyhow, good news just picked up a new genuine Yamaha TriCity Euro stock seat which had just arrived as a spare part designed for my size butt aka v2.0 from dealer.

Where can I buy seat like yours?

Today I'm getting the computer switched to increase performance and fuel approx. 20 percent ... so I'm told ... and a custom variator to bump the takeoff considerably. The computer removes the electronic restriction and improves the fuel mix. The aftermarket on this bike is huge. I'll report the differences. Also available is a larger windshield and an engine upgrade to ... wait for it ... 158cc. Apparently the custom store owner said his last customer almost had a heart attack when he picked up as the bike wanted to do a wheel stand when taking off. Insane.

I want increase acceleration (a lot if it is possible). What do you think I should do first? Maybe buying 158 ccm kit is the best way? (but it sounds expensive). Now my tricity is 100% original, I didn't change anything yet.

Edited by ThomasVoland