Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

If you look at close up photos of where the rear shock mount is located, you can see all three 125cc bikes have different transmission cases.

In particular the X-Max has no radiator on the right side like on the Nouvo and Tricity, it is located up front.

6.jpg

So beyond compression; I guess each of these Yamahas has totally different engines.

The EU/UK website says X-Max is priced at 3999 pounds, Tricity is 3399 pounds but has 3 wheels.

So it makes sense that extra 600 pounds gets you more performance.

The Tricity would cost a lot more with the X-Max engine and the frame would need to be rearranged or longer to fit the front radiator.

I suppose the product planners will make faster Tricities in the future but for now they are selling the extra wheel, not performance.

Edited by ttakata

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you look at close up photos of where the rear shock mount is located, you can see all three 125cc bikes have different transmission cases.

In particular the X-Max has no radiator on the right side like on the Nouvo and Tricity, it is located up front.

6.jpg

So beyond compression; I guess each of these Yamahas has totally different engines.

The EU/UK website says X-Max is priced at 3999 pounds, Tricity is 3399 pounds but has 3 wheels.

So it makes sense that extra 600 pounds gets you more performance.

The Tricity would cost a lot more with the X-Max engine and the frame would need to be rearranged or longer to fit the front radiator.

I suppose the product planners will make faster Tricities in the future but for now they are selling the extra wheel, not performance.

Just found,The modern and economical engine is a long-stroke 2-valve design for good acceleration from low speeds. Priority in its development was inner-city use, and obviously top speed is lower than for example an X-Max which has a more expensive 4-valve design. Tricity features Yamaha’s YMJET-FI system with an extra air passage directly to the injector to improve combustion efficiency. The system uses 3D digital mapping and controls both fuel injection and ignition timing, and includes a 3-way catalyser built into the muffler. Fuel consumption is remarkably low.

Tricity... I don't like the look of it. Make the driver look... errr... "overly cautious" for staying polite.

And the reason why I prefer the Nouvo Elegance over the PCX is squeezing between stopped cars in traffic as well as squeezing into tight parking spaces.

So the tricity gets a triple no from me.

Except for a shorter braking, I can't see the alleged security improvement. Does really so many of you fall over with their bike?

BTW... Synthetic or regular oil? Advice?

If you ask for it, here my advice: regular "Jaso MB" oil (for automatic engines). Change it regularly and you are fine. I use Yamalube for my Nouvo SX, but any brand name oil should do it.

I know someone that didn't change his Nouvo Elegance's oil for 3 years of regular use!

That makes me think regular oil is OK at the recommended intervals but if you want to splurge on synthetic; no harm there.

Tricity... I don't like the look of it. Make the driver look... errr... "overly cautious" for staying polite.

And the reason why I prefer the Nouvo Elegance over the PCX is squeezing between stopped cars in traffic as well as squeezing into tight parking spaces.

Except for a shorter braking, I can't see the alleged security improvement. Does really so many of you fall over with their bike?

Awesome!!

I never even considered either of the bikes you talked about. The Tricity is the only scooter I considered as the others look like toys to me.

Next bike will be a Lifan 200 Cross.

After that an import cruiser.

Which shows.... We all have different tastes in bikes.

Awesome!!

I never even considered either of the bikes you talked about. The Tricity is the only scooter I considered as the others look like toys to me.

Next bike will be a Lifan 200 Cross.

After that an import cruiser.

Which shows.... We all have different tastes in bikes.

I agree with both you guys.

I guess I'm less concerned about how I look to others than you though, Man.

Being 'over cautious' (chicken-shiit? ) seems okay considering the objective dangers associated with riding here.

Over the years I've dumped my rides many a time... got me there!.

Hopefully never again.

Agreed, my SX is swell for lane cutting, as are any of the narrower rides.

My TC is a tub.

Cannot man-handle it is the parking structure for beans.

But smooth on the road; a trade-off I guess.

We are truly blessed with having so may great inexpensive options.

"...3D digital mapping..."

I wonder what that means.

2D digital mapping is where ignition timing and volume of fuel injected are determined by two data inputs (rpm and throttle position most commonly).

3D digital mapping is where ignition timing and volume of fuel injected are determined by more than two data inputs, Addition data inputs used could include oil temperature, air temperature, rate of change of throttle position, manifold vacuum etc etc.

The list of potential data inputs in a 3D system is huge but on a Yamaha Tricity it is likely to be a simple system,

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you have some bad luck with tires.

I think in my entire life over 2-300K miles I've only had 2 car tires get punctured, one valve blow out, and 2 bike tires get punctures.

Once a year would drive me nuts.

On a different note, here's my mileage report using a free app called Fillup on Android.

Seems to fluctuate a lot since my riding can get aggressive.

My tires are always at the recommended or higher psi.

I am lucky my Michelin Citygrips and 90 degree tire valves were properly installed and keep most of their pressure.

In 1 month I think I lose ~3-5psi.

post-91685-0-33841300-1415762512_thumb.p

is there any up-sell to flog a tyre-rotation every 10,000? w00t.gif

Probably few TCs have reached 10,000km yet in Thailand.

The front tire diameter differs from the rear.

If a front tire flattens, you could use the same method to reach a garage as you would use on a 2-wheeler.

I've never had a tire blow on the Tricity nor any other vehicle I've operated since 1965.

Wow!!

I blow (or lose total pressure) at least one a year!!

(yes I maintain them and check pressure weekly)

I was following a truck once that blew a tire.

Loud & hunks of rubber flying everywhere.

Blowing a tire and losing pressure by leakage are definitely not the same thing.

I've never had a tire blow on the Tricity nor any other vehicle I've operated since 1965.

Wow!!

I blow (or lose total pressure) at least one a year!!

(yes I maintain them and check pressure weekly)

I was following a truck once that blew a tire.

Loud & hunks of rubber flying everywhere.

Blowing a tire and losing pressure by leakage are definitely not the same thing.

I have done both.

Come out from work to a flat, and blown a tire at speed. ( a bit scary)

Type 3 - Private three-wheel vehicle: This licence is issued to those who wish to drive three-wheel vehicle

Type 6 - Motorcycle: This licence is issued to those who wish to drive motorcycle.

license is acceptable for a TC, is it acceptable for a Nouvo?....... No idea that is why I am asking.. anyone with a TC has a Type 3 or a Type 6 Licence ?

Ignis: Looking ay my motorcycle DL, I can't find any 'Type 6' designation thereon.

What document are you referencing?

JD: I agree with you but curious about the source of information you used to come to the opinion.

I've heard that side-cars are not really legal either.