Passport check on the road

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've only been up to Issan once. There was a checkpoint somewhere around Buri Ram. Although I was only a passenger, I was asked for my passport.

In the end, since there was nothing else to fault us for, the Thai driver was fined 200 baht for driving with the headlamps on in the daytime.

Wow! Fined for driving with headlights on in the day time? In Canada your fined if you don't have daytime running lights on. I think your driver got scammed.

• Like 1

There is no law stating that you must carry your passport,the law states that you must provide ID with a photo within a ‘reasonable’ time frame, so a DL would be ok

According to the Lawyer of this forum is certainly is.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/712871-carrying-original-passport/

That is his opinion, it is not based on LAW, there is no Thai LAW which states that you must carry your passport.

Carrying your passport with you at all times is a risk for it to be lost or stolen. With the recent news that Thailand is a hub for false passports carrying it and having it lost/stolen will only make the the hub larger.

• Like 1

i rode around bangkok on my motorcycle for 6 years with a Nevada drivers licence before I got my Thai licence. Of course I was stopped by the police every now and then, and it was never about the licence, it was about me giving them a few baht.

I am sure I am way more likely to get hit by a car on my bike than busted for not having my passport. I guess a few horror stories of people not having the correct ID exist, but in general I say don't worry too much about it, especially if you have a Thai DL.

• Like 1

There is no law stating that you must carry your passport,the law states that you must provide ID with a photo within a ‘reasonable’ time frame, so a DL would be ok

and the tv disclaimer is at the top of this forum

A ticket for having headlights on during the day? There are cars that automatically have them on during the day for extra safety. Tingtong! w00t.gif

all motorbikes have them on automatically too

You're never going to win an argument over legal technicalities with a policeman. The US Embassy will issue its citizens a 'passport card' that is supposed to be sufficient for domestic travel in Thailand. I carry a laminated copy of the picture page of my passport. Never had a problem when producing this. When I travel domestically on airlines I use a driver's license or my State ID card. Again, no problems. Personally, I don't like the chance of my passport being lost or stolen when going about my usual business. I guess it's a crap shoot when hitting a police road block.

It is quite possible they are looking for certain individuals, otherwise at the same time, checking for 'overstay' and hideaways in general.

Sad they can't be as serious about taking speeding vans and semi-conscious bus drivers off the roads.

I've only been up to Issan once. There was a checkpoint somewhere around Buri Ram. Although I was only a passenger, I was asked for my passport.

In the end, since there was nothing else to fault us for, the Thai driver was fined 200 baht for driving with the headlamps on in the daytime.

fined 200 baht for driving with the headlamps on in the daytime ???

Putting on your headlights at daytime is smart, so you can be seen, especially by people here in Thailand who normally enter a busy street 90% without looking if vehicles are approaching. This is now compulsory in Switzerland. we get fined if we don't put on our headlights during day time! I'm always driving with my headlights on. If police talk about my headlights, I explain and never have any problem with this. I'm just trying to protect me and my passengers as well as people on the road.

What a difference of thinking between Thai and Swiss police forces! I'm not trying to just defame the Thais, but I'm speaking out of 28 years living and driving in Thailand.

Edited by Dario

This argument comes up frequently here and It always provokes very strong opinions one way or the other.

In my almost 24 years of living and working in Bangkok, the only people I know of that routinely carry their passports are members of Thaivisa. In real life I can't think of a single foreign friend or associate that does that.

I don't know what that means, if anything, but it's a fact.

That is his opinion, it is not based on LAW, there is no Thai LAW which states that you must carry your passport.

If, however, the police have the right to detain you until you produce your passport, then your argument here is just silly.

Even if there is no statute specifically stating such, a failure to produce can result in summary imprisonment.

Sounds like a legal requirement to me.

Section 13 says nothing about carrying your passport at all times.

That is not exactly correct. Any other ID you have than the passport does not have any proof that you are legally in the country. The immigration act states that if you don't have that you can be considered to be in the country illegally until such time you can show it.

Most embassies recognize the need for having your passport as an ID. That is why they make exceptions (in example the UK) when applying for a new one so that you can keep it.

please point me to the law stating you have to carry a passport ???? there is no such law, this has been posted many times in the past go look it up.

Try section 13 of the attachicon.gifImmigration_Act_EN.pdf and a few others that come close.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If youre understanding of the question:

"Is it required by Thai law that a foreigner have their original passport on them at all times?

-and the answer to that question:

"Yes this is the case as the police need to verify your identification and current valid visa".

is that there is no such law - I rest my case.....

How can the brownshirts check if you have legal visa or not if you cannot present them your passport?

And they do have the right to do check your id and visa if not at all time so at most occations.

I carry a DL only,never been asked for a passport in Isaan in all the nine years living here. Some new scam maybe,too few foreigners here, got to think up a new source of income.

It had never happened to me either until this year......I'm a regular traveller from Buriram down to Pattaya & this one bunch of KORAT police are the only ones to have asked for my passport AFTER showing them my Thai driving licence

I'd like to Thank the OP for posting his experience.

We have several road blocks up around here,

but I've just been lucky to go past them,

while the Police were taking a break.

I certainly don't wish to be caught off guard,

and regardless of the laws,

the Police always manipulate the laws to serve their intentions,

as we are guests and have no rights to question their authority or translation of what they wish to enforce at a given time.

Can only hope this doesn't continue to be the norm,

as carry documents around on a daily basis isn't the easiest thing to do,

for an extended period of time.

For me, that being 14 years & counting...

"Putting on your headlights at daytime is smart"

Of course it's smart, and it's been my habit for 15 years, but it is in fact against the law here for cars and trucks (even though required for motorcycles). Since that incident I have seen a policeman on television who explained that daytime headlights are reserved for processions accompanied by police, e.g. tour bus groups or government vehicles. Like the funeral processions seen in western countries.

I don't think it's crazy, just old-fashioned and uninformed.

I always carry a high res. color copy of my passport in my wallet. I have been asked for it many times, and the color copy always works. I would recommend this. Who wants to carry around the original. I refuse to do that, and have never had an issue. I have used it to rent cars, check into hotels, etc. This in combination with a thai drivers license should always be enough. They are more than likely trying to round someone up.

I all the "excitement" my post seems to have got lost"

Here is a repeat

"You may be right !

That will not prevent the police from detaining someone until proof of legal stay is provided in the form of a passport !"
edit
s+pellng

Yes, in most cases the law is what the guy in the brown uniform believes it to be. You might, at a later date, dispute his interpretation in a court of law, but even if you win, it'll be a Pyrrhic victory if you've already spent time in a police lock up.

And, in recent times and in various parts of the country a state of emergency has been in effect. Pretty sure if a state of emergency exists the police would have the legal authority to demand your passport as proof that you are in the country legally.

Whether or not you want to worry about it is up to you. I've never been asked by the police (aside from at Immigrations) to see my passport, but that doesn't mean it won't happen sometime. I carry it with me in a passport holder bought from Boots that also holds my credit cards, etc. The holder is bulky enough that it's a bit of a struggle to get out of my pocket so it's not likely to be removed easily by a pickpocket.

I drove a car for about 50 years and never had an accident and almost never was asked to show my driver's licence, but I still paid for insurance every year and always carried my licence. It's a personal matter of weighing potential risks against perceived costs.

Edited by Suradit69

I all the "excitement" my post seems to have got lost"

Here is a repeat

"You may be right !

That will not prevent the police from detaining someone until proof of legal stay is provided in the form of a passport !"
edit
s+pellng

Yes, in most cases the law is what the guy in the brown uniform believes it to be. You might, at a later date, dispute his interpretation in a court of law, but even if you win, it'll be a Pyrrhic victory if you've already spent time in a police lock up.

And, in recent times and in various parts of the country a state of emergency has been in effect. Pretty sure if a state of emergency exists the police would have the legal authority to demand your passport as proof that you are in the country legally.

Whether or not you want to worry about it is up to you. I've never been asked by the police (aside from at Immigrations) to see my passport, but that doesn't mean it won't happen sometime. I drove a car for about 50 years and never had an accident, but I still paid for insurance every year.

50 years and no accident? That's pretty impressive! I've driven for about 30 and couldn't count them.

That is not exactly correct. Any other ID you have than the passport does not have any proof that you are legally in the country. The immigration act states that if you don't have that you can be considered to be in the country illegally until such time you can show it.

Most embassies recognize the need for having your passport as an ID. That is why they make exceptions (in example the UK) when applying for a new one so that you can keep it.

please point me to the law stating you have to carry a passport ???? there is no such law, this has been posted many times in the past go look it up.

Try section 13 of the attachicon.gifImmigration_Act_EN.pdf and a few others that come close.

Section 13 looks to me like it refers to people entering the Kingdom, not those already here on a temporary stay.

I would like to get any document that unequivocally states the position on carrying passports. If I can get that, I will print out the Thai version and keep that copy in my car.

In someways I admire your intransigence on this because nobody has actually come up with chapter and verse on any 'law' covering this.

However, it clear even to the most myopic that the requirement has at least become a Thai 'customs and practice'.

I cannot quote the legal reference but I have supplied the GOV.UK reference of the "legal requirement". It has even found it's way into a reply, on another passport thread, from HMPO:-

Dear Mr .......

Thank you for your email of 3 April 2014 about the process for renewing a United Kingdom

passport if you are resident in Thailand.

We note that you are unhappy at having to attend the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok

to submit your application in person and then return to collect the new passport.

We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand

to retain their passport on their person at all times. In order to consider an application to

renew a UK passport Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HM Passport Office) require sight of

the original passport and any other supporting documents that may be required.

In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK

Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office

representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application

Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as

being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal

requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being

processed.

In someways I admire your intransigence on this because nobody has actually come up with chapter and verse on any 'law' covering this.

However, it clear even to the most myopic that the requirement has at least become a Thai 'customs and practice'.

I cannot quote the legal reference but I have supplied the GOV.UK reference of the "legal requirement". It has even found it's way into a reply, on another passport thread, from HMPO:-

Dear Mr .......

Thank you for your email of 3 April 2014 about the process for renewing a United Kingdom

We note that you are unhappy at having to attend the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok

to submit your application in person and then return to collect the new passport.

We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand

to retain their passport on their person at all times. In order to consider an application to

renew a UK passport Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HM Passport Office) require sight of

In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK

Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office

representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application

Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as

being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal

requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being

processed.

sorry but this has NO bearing on thai LAW so is pointless, and for one, I would not take any notice of UK advice as I am not from the UK.

Again I reiterate THERE IS NO THAI LAW THAT STATES YOU HAVE TO CARRY A PASSORT. In fact I believe I read a post not long ago, where the CM Immigration chief advised NOT to carry a passport around with you do a search and you will find the post.

Dear Mr .......

processed.

sorry but this has NO bearing on thai LAW so is pointless, and for one, I would not take any notice of UK advice as I am not from the UK.

Again I reiterate THERE IS NO THAI LAW THAT STATES YOU HAVE TO CARRY A PASSORT. In fact I believe I read a post not long ago, where the CM Immigration chief advised NOT to carry a passport around with you do a search and you will find the post.

I have become so interested in either proving (or disproving) your assertion - because no one has managed to do so yet - that I have challenged the British government to provide the legal reference that they keep referring to.

FAO - J Stanworth.

The email reply below has been circulating on Thai Visa.com - a forum where the passport changes for expats in Thailand has been healthily debated.

One issue that crops up is the statement from you as follows:-

"We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand

to retain their passport on their person at all time".

A number of people question the existence of a law in Thailand that requires UK citizens to carry their passport at all times.

As you have categorically stated that this is in fact the law, could I ask you to provide the exact legal reference covering such requirement.

Thank you

• Like 1

Section 13 looks to me like it refers to people entering the Kingdom, not those already here on a temporary stay.

I would like to get any document that unequivocally states the position on carrying passports. If I can get that, I will print out the Thai version and keep that copy in my car.

Section 13 has no bearing on this discussion, if you do a search you will see that there is no documents stating a position "on carrying a passport", its only opinion's, believe me I would like a copy to do the same,

I was on bypass rd. Near Kon Kaen, and was fined 100 baht for having my lights on, very hard to explain , research shows that is safer, lol , most of the time in Isaan if they see a Farang they wave u through, every once in a while they ask for license, and I hand them international license, and then I'm on my way...

Dear Mr .......

processed.

I have become so interested in either proving (or disproving) your assertion - because no one has managed to do so yet - that I have challenged the British government to provide the legal reference that they keep referring to.

FAO - J Stanworth.

The email reply below has been circulating on Thai Visa.com - a forum where the passport changes for expats in Thailand has been healthily debated.

One issue that crops up is the statement from you as follows:-

"We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand

to retain their passport on their person at all time".

A number of people question the existence of a law in Thailand that requires UK citizens to carry their passport at all times.

As you have categorically stated that this is in fact the law, could I ask you to provide the exact legal reference covering such requirement.

Thank you

Go for it, I would like you to prove me wrong, but before that happens I would like to see it in THAI LAW NOT UK this may in effect be a ruling by YOUR government BUT will not be for ALL expats,