Passport check on the road

I am not sure if it acceptable but I take pictures of My Passport, entry stamp and Departure Card in my phone.

If you were asked for your passport. Copies, pictures and anything else would not suffice if the person asking wanted to push the issue.

There have been cases where people had to wait at a police station while somebody brought the passport to them. Others have been fined for not having it.

There exists a lot of misunderstandings...

A valid copy should be sufficient for the first checks ( conform ministerial answers towards my minister of foreign affairs. )

Only if they (or you )are having other "difficulties" then there could be "problems"

Any person, should be able to identify himself with sufficient proof.

Always try to carry on your phone pictures with you, sent a copy to your own e-mail adress so you always have access to them.

( also handy when you lost your pasport, to obtain a paper at the police station. ) ( happend to me in BKK )

having a phone number from your local police officer and or his card might be helpful to.

Personally i travel around with only copy's

With the copy's i carry the cards from a few Thai officials, in case of.

Having photo's with you from you shaking these officials their hands is also beneficial...

I encountered once a provoked accident ( thai towards me ) didn't touch his car, but still he was screaming that i damaged his car ( old scratches and bents )

The police showed up, looked at my copy's and the cards... he did take the driver apart , verbally smacked his ears with some strong words and off the other party went.

I have been checked so often now, that nearly every police officer in the province must know me personally now ;-)

and never had any problems.

Anyhow, my two cents worth.

To be sure; ask your embassy; its them who help you when **** hits the fan.

I never ever never carry a passport

and in 13 years never been asked for it. They are a high theft item. And as soon as you hand it to someone

That means they have it and you don't. Only in the. Imagration office will I show it....$4000 onthe black market

Try section 13 of the attachicon.gifImmigration_Act_EN.pdf and a few others that come close.

There is no law stating that you must carry your passport,the law states that you must provide ID with a photo within a ‘reasonable’ time frame, so a DL would be ok

That is not exactly correct. Any other ID you have than the passport does not have any proof that you are legally in the country. The immigration act states that if you don't have that you can be considered to be in the country illegally until such time you can show it.

Most embassies recognize the need for having your passport as an ID. That is why they make exceptions (in example the UK) when applying for a new one so that you can keep it.

please point me to the law stating you have to carry a passport ???? there is no such law, this has been posted many times in the past go look it up.

try again no where does it state that you are required to carry your passport go look at the past posts on this subject also go look at the lawyers forum YOU do not have to carry you passport end of story.

If you think about it, carrying you're passport around with you all the time drastically increases the chances of you losing it plus it will get worn out and tatty which is a risk NOT worth taking.

I must admit, I have been in Thailand for 7 years and have never been asked to show proof of my ID at any time.

I may consider photocopying my passport now though and leave it in my wife's handbag just to be on the safe side - but carry my passport around with me, no way jose!!

There is no law stating that you must carry your passport,the law states that you must provide ID with a photo within a ‘reasonable’ time frame, so a DL would be ok

That is not exactly correct. Any other ID you have than the passport does not have any proof that you are legally in the country. The immigration act states that if you don't have that you can be considered to be in the country illegally until such time you can show it.

Most embassies recognize the need for having your passport as an ID. That is why they make exceptions (in example the UK) when applying for a new one so that you can keep it.

Why farang posters make this so complicated. I NEVER carry my passport with me inside the country. A passport is a TRAVEL document that is required when you pass the border. It is also a photo ID, but not more than a drivers licence.

So I have a copy of the photo page of my passport and a copy of my extension of stay. On top I always have my drivers licence with me. So I can prove who I am and that I have an extension of stay. If they want to check they can put the number of the extension in their computer and check.

I once was asked by police for my passport, here in the amphoe. I laughed and asked if they changed the borders to this place. I did not even showed the copies, as totally unnecessary. Don't accept everything. Drivers license is photo ID, enough for police. If Immigration does a check you have to show passport and visa or extension, but the copies of that are sufficient.

In someways I admire your intransigence on this because nobody has actually come up with chapter and verse on any 'law' covering this.

However, it clear even to the most myopic that the requirement has at least become a Thai 'customs and practice'.

I cannot quote the legal reference but I have supplied the GOV.UK reference of the "legal requirement". It has even found it's way into a reply, on another passport thread, from HMPO:-

Dear Mr .......

Thank you for your email of 3 April 2014 about the process for renewing a United Kingdom

passport if you are resident in Thailand.

We note that you are unhappy at having to attend the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok

to submit your application in person and then return to collect the new passport.

We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand

to retain their passport on their person at all times. In order to consider an application to

renew a UK passport Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HM Passport Office) require sight of

the original passport and any other supporting documents that may be required.

In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK

Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office

representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application

Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as

being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal

requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being

processed.

sorry but this has NO bearing on thai LAW so is pointless, and for one, I would not take any notice of UK advice as I am not from the UK.

Again I reiterate THERE IS NO THAI LAW THAT STATES YOU HAVE TO CARRY A PASSORT. In fact I believe I read a post not long ago, where the CM Immigration chief advised NOT to carry a passport around with you do a search and you will find the post.

I have become so interested in either proving (or disproving) your assertion - because no one has managed to do so yet - that I have challenged the British government to provide the legal reference that they keep referring to.

FAO - J Stanworth.

The email reply below has been circulating on Thai Visa.com - a forum where the passport changes for expats in Thailand has been healthily debated.

One issue that crops up is the statement from you as follows:-

"We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand

to retain their passport on their person at all time".

A number of people question the existence of a law in Thailand that requires UK citizens to carry their passport at all times.

As you have categorically stated that this is in fact the law, could I ask you to provide the exact legal reference covering such requirement.

Thank you

Go for it, I would like you to prove me wrong, but before that happens I would like to see it in THAI LAW NOT UK this may in effect be a ruling by YOUR government BUT will not be for ALL expats,

I am quite prepared to see you proved right.

UK has no jurisdiction in Thailand so it can only be Thai law - which will apply to all expats..

Let them come up with the evidence - if it exists. I am beginning to think it does not exist. Producing your passport if requested - yes, but a legal requirement to carry your passport - not yet proven.

Whatever, I will still carry my passport for journeys over,say, 2 hours BUT I do think it is good know EXACTLY what the law actually says.

There is a law that says you need to have ID on you at all times. This applies to everybody including Thai's.

By other laws such as the immigration act the only acceptable ID is a passport for a foreigner.

For what its worth ..

The bottom line (as mentioned above) of your 5 year Thai DL has a (Farang) ID made up of 12 x numbers starting with 00 which can be crossed checked with your in country status.

The Standard Thai ID has 13 x number so difference is obvious.

Never a problem again as mentioned above booking into hotels,banking,domestic travel etc and found recently that when asked for Thai ID/PP info on internet the above said farang number has been accepted....??(I only ever have hade a multi-non Immi "O")

There is a law that says you need to have ID on you at all times. This applies to everybody including Thai's.

By other laws such as the immigration act the only acceptable ID is a passport for a foreigner.

Not according to the domestic airlines it isn't.

Once again I see no reference for this assertion that the a passport is the only acceptable ID for a Farang....

Go for it, I would like you to prove me wrong, but before that happens I would like to see it in THAI LAW NOT UK this may in effect be a ruling by YOUR government BUT will not be for ALL expats,

I am quite prepared to see you proved right.

UK has no jurisdiction in Thailand so it can only be Thai law - which will apply to all expats..

Let them come up with the evidence - if it exists. I am beginning to think it does not exist. Producing your passport if requested - yes, but a legal requirement to carry your passport - not yet proven.

Whatever, I will still carry my passport for journeys over,say, 2 hours BUT I do think it is good know EXACTLY what the law actually says.

I know I am correct ! how's that for arrogance, living in Thailand for 14yrs I have never carried my passport and I have no intensions of doing so, I do carry my DL all time's the boss makes sure I do. If you get mugged (and I hope you do not) that's the first thing that will be taken, can get 5 to 10 thousand for it, If you ask police chiefs and I have, as plenty come in the restaurant, they will tell you, you should carry your passport but in a whisper they say don't as it will be stolen, typical Thai no straight answer, so as the Thai's say up to you.

On multiday trips and travelling "far" I have my original passport with me.

This would apply to the case described.

Here in the province I only have copies with me (and Thai DL).

Risk of loosing/theft is too much on a daily basis.

I can not believe that I could check-in at a (reputable) hotel without presenting my original passport.

Some people say Thai DL is enough?

I have only been asked once in 6 years to show my passport other than at Immigration for visa and other issues or an international flight. The one time I was asked was on a bus going to Mae Sod, near the Burma border. Luckily, I had my passport on me for that trip. However, for domestic flights and all hotels I have only shown my Thai DL and that has always been sufficient for them.

Please point me to the relevant section of the immigration act that says the only acceptable ID is a passport,

section 13 you posted earlier does not say any thing about that.

I think Maestro would be interested as I know he has been looking for this for years.

Edited by MikeandDow

For official purposes it is the only valid ID. Just because an airline accepted it does not make a drivers license a valid ID.

I would never travel the general area of where I live without having my passport with me. Much less getting on airplane to some place without it.

I think most people that complain about needing to have their passport with them has never traveled very much.

To me it is an old habit to have it with me because I have been to many different countries in my life. With several of those requiring you carry an ID with you.

For official purposes it is the only valid ID. Just because an airline accepted it does not make a drivers license a valid ID.

I would never travel the general area of where I live without having my passport with me. Much less getting on airplane to some place without it.

I think most people that complain about needing to have their passport with them has never traveled very much.

To me it is an old habit to have it with me because I have been to many different countries in my life. With several of those requiring you carry an ID with you.

It obviously does make it valid because it is 'accepted' by the airlines.

As it is accepted by every hotel in Thailand.

Not according to the domestic airlines it isn't.

Once again I see no reference for this assertion that the a passport is the only acceptable ID for a Farang....

You are correct, What ubonjoe says (There is a law that says you need to have ID on you at all times) is correct, but a DL or even a library card with a photo, by definition is ID as to the second statement this is incorrect. please show immigration section.

Dear Mr .......

Thank you for your email of 3 April 2014 about the process for renewing a United Kingdom

We note that you are unhappy at having to attend the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok

to submit your application in person and then return to collect the new passport.

We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand

to retain their passport on their person at all times. In order to consider an application to

renew a UK passport Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HM Passport Office) require sight of

In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK

Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office

representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application

Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as

being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal

requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being

processed.

The US Embassy would "seem" to disagree with the above. I recently renewed my passport at an embassy outreach in KK -- and arranged for the new book to be mailed. The embassy staffers gave me a form letter, duly signed, to show any official inquiring about my status.

" .. there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand to retain their passport on their person at all times."

Is that UK law rather than Thai law?

I'm not sure what would have happened if the police had demanded to see my passport.

• Like 1

In some places, Phuket for instance, you can't hire a bike without giving up your pp as security.

Makes it a bit hard to subsequently produce it.

Pity Thailand can't drag itself into the 21st century in this. Other, more sophisticated countries, can establish a persons status by interrogating the immigration computer systems from the roadside. In fact, in this computerised era, in many countries, often pp's don't have a visible visa nor permit and it would be impossible to know a status.

To me it does not.

How would a hotel get the info needed for their report to immigration. That requires your passport info and TM6 departure card number.

You might get away with it at a hotel that does not do the report to immigration.

"Every" hotel?? How could you possible know that?

Dear Mr .......

processed.

The US Embassy would "seem" to disagree with the above. I recently renewed my passport at an embassy outreach in KK -- and arranged for the new book to be mailed. The embassy staffers gave me a form letter, duly signed, to show any official inquiring about my status.

" .. there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand to retain their passport on their person at all times."

Is that UK law rather than Thai law?

I'm not sure what would have happened if the police had demanded to see my passport.

Obviously, UK law is not applicable in Thailand.

UK officials are 'quoting' Thai law but no one has yet been able to direct us to the relevant legal reference point ie Civil & Criminal Code etc

please point me to the law stating you have to carry a passport ???? there is no such law, this has been posted many times in the past go look it up.

Try section 13 of the attachicon.gifImmigration_Act_EN.pdf and a few others that come close.

Thank you for that info and link.

This I agree with. All Thai's seems to understand that.

By this I presume you are referring to your earlier quote of Section 13 of the Immigration Act. However this argument is problematic if you consider the case of Permanent Residents.

I have recently renewed my passport and as it is now it is completely blank. No stamps or marks at all and no TM6 attached. If I never travel, it will remain this way forever. So obviously it is completely useless as proof of my immigration status.

Section 13 mentions 3 specific circumstances under which an alien is not required to have a passport but it doesn't mention Permanent Residents whereas many other sections do specifically refer to PR.

Therefore I don't believe Section 13 can be construed as meaning a Passport is the only acceptable ID for a foreigner.

I am not sure if it acceptable but I take pictures of My Passport, entry stamp and Departure Card in my phone.

If you were asked for your passport. Copies, pictures and anything else would not suffice if the person asking wanted to push the issue.

There have been cases where people had to wait at a police station while somebody brought the passport to them. Others have been fined for not having it.

I rather have someone hold me for a while then having to drag my passport with me all the time.

I see the chance of loosing a passport a lot higher as getting locked up. I got copiers and a Thai drivers license. If locked up so be it.

• Like 1

This I agree with. All Thai's seems to understand that.

By this I presume you are referring to your earlier quote of Section 13 of the Immigration Act. However this argument is problematic if you consider the case of Permanent Residents.

I have recently renewed my passport and as it is now it is completely blank. No stamps or marks at all and no TM6 attached. If I never travel, it will remain this way forever. So obviously it is completely useless as proof of my immigration status.

Section 13 mentions 3 specific circumstances under which an alien is not required to have a passport but it doesn't mention Permanent Residents whereas many other sections do specifically refer to PR.

Therefore I don't believe Section 13 can be construed as meaning a Passport is the only acceptable ID for a foreigner.

As a permanent resident you are not even required to have a valid passport. You fall under different rules. You have a residence book. You can now even apply for a special pink ID card for those with PR.

We were stopped at a road block not far from our house. The policeman wanted to see my passport.

My wife explained that the passport was safely locked in the safe at our home.

The policeman replied " a very good place for it"

End of story !

try again no where does it state that you are required to carry your passport go look at the past posts on this subject also go look at the lawyers forum YOU do not have to carry you passport end of story.

You do like to post in an arrogant and confrontational style, don't you.

I can't refer you to the Criminal Code either but I am happy to be guided by this entry from the GOV.UK website:-

Local laws and customs

Don’t become involved with drugs of any kind. Possession of even very small quantities can lead to imprisonment. If you are found guilty of being in possession of marijuana you are likely to receive a long prison sentence and a heavy fine. Amphetamines and ecstasy are regarded as Class A drugs and possession or trafficking carries the same penalties as heroin. If you are found guilty of being in possession of 20 grams of a Class A drug at a point of exit from Thailand you will probably be sentenced to death.

It’s a criminal offence to make critical or defamatory comments about the King or other members of the Royal family in Thailand. This is known as Lèse Majesté and is punishable by a prison sentence of 3 to 15 years, or longer. Foreign nationals have been convicted of Lèse Majesté.

It is illegal to import more than 200 cigarettes per person into Thailand and this is enforced at customs at the airport on arrival; those who exceed the limit may be fined ten times the value of the items and face confiscation of the cigarettes.

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request. Make sure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport.

Personally, I have no intention of asking a highway policeman to show me the relevant legal reference before showing him my passport.

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand.

Is this valid ONLY in Thailand?

In the 'developed world' aren't any ID's necessary?

Or can they be shown after X number of hours, days, weeks, months???

I never ever never carry a passport

and in 13 years never been asked for it. They are a high theft item. And as soon as you hand it to someone

That means they have it and you don't. Only in the. Imagration office will I show it....$4000 onthe black market

"They are a high theft item."

Yes, that is true. in 1991 when I was travelling on an overland coach overnight and I left the bus just for 10 minutes to drink a coffee, I noticed after my arrival in Bangkok that my passport and Swiss driver's license had been stolen out of my travel bag which I had put on the overhead bin above my seat. Quite a story to make a police report, notify the Swiss Embassy and then obtain a new passport. For my Swiss driver's license I just got one limited for one month in order for me to obtain a Thai driver's license. Ever since, I never carry my passport with me, unless I have to go to immigration. I have a copy of my passport in my car in blown up in color showing my actual one-year visa. But I've never been asked for it in 28 years.

But to comply with the law for identification purpose, I carry my Thai driver's license with me at all times, of course.

Edited by Dario

Recently applied for an Italy Schengen Visa...they too now gone to TrendyVille

VfS says, EXPLICITLY, once you have submitted your application , your Passport will be retained for up to 15 days while visa application is processed... and in the meantime YOU HAVE NO RECOURSE TO REQUEST IT BEING RETURNED, for whatever purpose.Good morning Mr.Kafka ! So VfS + Italy Embassy steal your Passport, At Police check you have no passport. Police lock you up for 15 days??....All good fun? NOT!. No wonder I have 3 Passports! Good fun, too transferring all the stamps!!