Fees at private schools set to rise this year

Lite Beer

EDUCATION
Fees at private schools set to rise this year
Supinda na Mahachai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Ceiling on tuition rates lifted to account for 'soaring inflation'

Parents will have to fork out Bt1,000 to Bt2,000 more for their children's education at private schools in the upcoming academic year. The increase is in response to a decision by the Private Education Commission to raise schools' tuition ceiling for the first time in 10 years.

"The new rates will take effect at more than 3,000 private schools from the 2014 academic year onward," Office of Private Education Commission secretary general Bundit Sriputtangul said yesterday.

He spoke after emerging from a commission meeting chaired by caretaker Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang.

"The hike is necessary in the face of soaring inflation and the government policy to give at least Bt15,000 monthly salary to bachelor's degree holders," Bundit said.

The new maximum tuition rates at private schools are: Bt14,900 for pre-primary and primary levels; Bt17,780 for secondary level; and from Bt19,910 to Bt29,970 for vocational education that is equivalent to senior secondary education level.

They are calculated based on the research by the Office of the Education Council, which was announced in 2010.

While tuition is completely free at state schools, private schools charge parents some money as government subsidies cover just 70 per cent of the aforementioned rates.

Before the hike, the ceilings were Bt13,260 for pre-primary level; Bt12,960 for primary level; Bt15,652 for junior secondary level; Bt15,952 for senior secondary level, and Bt16,222 and Bt22,000 for vocational education that is equivalent to senior secondary education level.

Increase 'tolerable'

Bundit said parents usually paid Bt3,000 a year to private schools if their children were in pre-primary or primary education levels, and Bt2,000 a year if their children were in the secondary education level.

"With the hikes, they only need to pay just between Bt1,000 and Bt2,000 more," he said.

Private schools would be required to clearly list education charges they will collect ahead of the new semester.

"This way, parents can decide whether they should send their children to private schools," Bundit said.

He said civil servants could also get partial reimbursement for their children's tuition fees.

"With the increased ceiling of tuition fees, the reimbursement ceiling will also go up by Bt400," Bundit pointed out.

The Office of the Educational Council had also been assigned to estimate the new maximum rate for tuition as relevant authorities hope to come up with an amount that best reflects current circumstances.

"This means if the council releases the new rates, the tuition ceilings at private schools may go up again," Bundit said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-19

... as I have noted in previous comments, it is clear that, at a time when numerous countries around the world are enjoying a period of recovery, the incompetence of this government is continuing to have severe impacts on every single sector of the Thai economy ...!!

• Like 1

I contribute to the schooling of my best friend's two daughters, who attend schools here in the capital. I will pick up this extra fee, but I will do so knowing that it is fundamentally due to mismanagement not necessity. I do see the investment in their education as a worthwhile one, but I would feel happier handing over the extra loot if I had confidence in how the economy is being managed, or had greater faith in the people running it.

In addition to my kids I have 3 other kids that I help with their education

I should really thank the PTP government for giving me the joy that helping these kids brings - their families are rice farmers .....

• cost per ecach kid is:
  • fees 1600 pa
  • insurance 250 mth
  • bus 250 mth
  • pocket money 100 wk
  • other expenses include school uniform ...

tablet cause the government did not provide as promised

These fees are still inline with what I have been already paying at our private school for pre-primary. Did they jump the gun last year, or can I expect a 'revised' fee schedule to come home with junior? From what I see its only babysitting anyway at this level, K2 this year.

Oz

Everyone hates the rice subsidy, but why does not one complain about subsidizing private schools? The line in the story was "While tuition is completely free at state schools, private schools charge parents some money as government subsidies cover just 70 per cent of the aforementioned rates."

70 percent.

Just 70 percent!! And "some money" my butt! At my school, parents pay 48k per year. If the government subsidizes the school at 70% this means the taxpayers are funding rates that are higher than international schools.

Subsidizing private schools is absolutely foul, and makes the rice scheme look like shoplifting. We are talking about literally billions of baht a year being paid to private institutions.....

<deleted>?

• Like 2

Please tell me where those private schools are at such cheap tuition costs!

The ones I know start at 200k to 1mb per year.

I'm guessing the article is talking about private govnt dependent schools which rely upon huge goverment percentage handouts to be financially viable.

The schools you mention as having fees of 200k - 1M are private independent schools.. i.e. international schools, such as ISB or St John's, which rely upon no goverment help.

There's a big difference between the definitions of dependent and independent concerning private school status.

Some nonsensical posts with political commentary that is not appropriate to the topic have been deleted along with replies. Please stick to the topic.

When prices rise, then the costs for schools rise. Whether the increase is justified or not, I don't know, but I do know that food costs for a lot of schools is much higher than it was before.

I also know that labor costs have increased. We used to have a bevy of cleaning ladies and gardeners. These have been drastically reduced and the teachers are required to clean not only their classrooms (which they were always required to do), but the corridors as well. The grounds staff have been greatly reduced as well.

In the past year the quality of the food deteriorated and then the quantity was reduced for both teachers and students. Eventually teachers were told no more free food.

A lot of other private schools have been cutting back on costs in a variety of areas. I interview a lot of teachers and many have reported various cost-saving methods. Some cost savings are wise, others are foolish.

• Like 1

There are some private schools in BKK that are that cheap. Many are still less than 20,000 after the increament - my daughter's school increased by 1,000 and it's still under 20,000. Lots of foreigners in BKK - even members of this forum - have their kids attending such schools, but for pride would not admit knowledge of their existence.

State Schools - free

Private Thai Schools - priced as shown in the OP

Rip off "International Labelled Schools" mostly used by falangs and some Thais

I'd suspect there is dual pricing going on in private schools

There are some private schools in BKK that are that cheap. Many are still less than 20,000 after the increament - my daughter's school increased by 1,000 and it's still under 20,000. Lots of foreigners in BKK - even members of this forum - have their kids attending such schools, but for pride would not admit knowledge of their existence.

Would you mind sharing the names of some of the reputable ones especially in the northern Bangkok area? It's an educational washing machine out there. Thanks in advance.

Everyone hates the rice subsidy, but why does not one complain about subsidizing private schools? The line in the story was "While tuition is completely free at state schools, private schools charge parents some money as government subsidies cover just 70 per cent of the aforementioned rates."

70 percent.

Just 70 percent!! And "some money" my butt! At my school, parents pay 48k per year. If the government subsidizes the school at 70% this means the taxpayers are funding rates that are higher than international schools.

Subsidizing private schools is absolutely foul, and makes the rice scheme look like shoplifting. We are talking about literally billions of baht a year being paid to private institutions.....

<deleted>?

Before you have a heart attack , go back and reread the OP. The subsidy is 70% of the "allowed" ceiling. As an example let's use 15,000 baht times 70% equals 10,500 baht or basically the same as the state sends to public schools. All the extras: Air-con, swimming pools, English Programs. foreign teachers, etc., etc, are added on top and are paid totally by the parents. So a school that charges 45,000 baht gets 10,500 from the gov't and rest is the responsibility of the parents. Remember these parents are also tax payers and should receive equal benefits. ...but by all means let's eliminate private schools then we can pack in 70 kids into classrooms sized for 35 and be able to afford that high speed train for Chinese fruit and veggies.

Would you mind sharing the names of some of the reputable ones especially in the northern Bangkok area? It's an educational washing machine out there. Thanks in advance.

My daughter has attended Attamit which is near Rachayothin since K1, she is now in P4 for the new year. We've been happy with her progress, and the school is generally well run, with a decent English Program and a settled teaching staff. The ESL teachers have all been there for many years. Think it is around 70k plus, all the other bits such as transport etc. My daughter has been very happy there.

My daughter has attended Attamit which is near Rachayothin since K1, she is now in P4 for the new year. We've been happy with her progress, and the school is generally well run, with a decent English Program and a settled teaching staff. The ESL teachers have all been there for many years. Think it is around 70k plus, all the other bits such as transport etc. My daughter has been very happy there.

Thanks for this. ;)

I taught at 4 schools in Bangkok, bilingual/international and one in Phuket, then retired 4 years ago. I know all to well how much of a scam these schools in Thailand are, hireing unqualified Filipino teachers at 13,000B a pop, copying all the school books for the students, which is against the law, serveing sub standard food for lunches, and using lots of Burmese labor. It's big business and the owners are rakeing in the dough.

• Like 1

Raising school rates due to soaring inflation??? The caretaker MOC said the annual rate in March this year was 2.11%!

If they want to raise tuition for the first time in 10 years, fine, they should, but I would think at least they could come up with reasons that agree with the government figures.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I might be from a spoiled part of the world, where in 2013, almost 75% of people graduation from, what would be a "high School"(and almost EVERYBODY go to "High School" in Scandinavia) in the USA, goes on to a completely free university, with one of the highest standards in the world.

Properly something resulting, in making us among the best educated nation on the planet (there a little difference in what results OECD, WHO, etc. surveys end up with)

To be honest, i know, that i'm no didactics expert. But this is one of the reasons, that i know, makes me have to return to my native country, at one point. Is if i have children.

IMHO the education level here is simply, so low standard, even in the "famous" schools - i've met and debated teachers from these schools, that would not graduate high school, in my native country, and at the prices the more upmarket schools charge, its a farce.

I would not push my children through a Ph.D if they did not have the ability - but a 3+2 year master-degree, is a must in my eyes. Especially where the world is going, to succeed you need to be educated. (procentage wise, please drop the "this billionaire left school a 13 years old, stories.)

Even countries like USA, England, and other big European countries have a scary low percentage, of the population holding a decent master degree.

I might be from a spoiled part of the world, where in 2013, almost 75% of people graduation from, what would be a "high School"(and almost EVERYBODY go to "High School" in Scandinavia) in the USA, goes on to a completely free university, with one of the highest standards in the world.

Properly something resulting, in making us among the best educated nation on the planet (there a little difference in what results OECD, WHO, etc. surveys end up with)

To be honest, i know, that i'm no didactics expert. But this is one of the reasons, that i know, makes me have to return to my native country, at one point. Is if i have children.

IMHO the education level here is simply, so low standard, even in the "famous" schools - i've met and debated teachers from these schools, that would not graduate high school, in my native country, and at the prices the more upmarket schools charge, its a farce.

I would not push my children through a Ph.D if they did not have the ability - but a 3+2 year master-degree, is a must in my eyes. Especially where the world is going, to succeed you need to be educated. (procentage wise, please drop the "this billionaire left school a 13 years old, stories.)

Even countries like USA, England, and other big European countries have a scary low percentage, of the population holding a decent master degree.

I agree with most of your post. I don't agree with the scary low percentage of masters degree holders, though. Surely, there are more jobs/careers across the spectrum that do not benefit in any significant way from such education. Also, there is not a great correlation between masters degree holders and job/career performance. If a person decides to continue learning into his/her adulthood, that is as good as any masters degree.

A while back this was posted in the forum:

BANGKOK, Jan 9 – Thailand’s spending on education, representing 4 per cent of gross domestic product or 20 per cent of the national budget, is the highest in the world, according to research findings by Mahidol University.

The National Children and Family Development Institute which conducted the study on Thailand’s educational system concluded that spending on fundamental education is as high as Bt35,000 per person per year while parents have to pay on average Bt25,000-35,000 per student each year for added extras.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695289-thailands-educational-spending-highest-in-the-world/

It may be of interest to some of our posters.

• Like 1

The article itself has a confusion of figures - thanks to some posters for clarifying what the journo is really talking about! smile.png

However, where do Thai private schools with an English Programme fit into this scheme?

I have taught in such EPs and they are generally terrible, however, I have found a very good school near me that is managed by the local university. Their fees last year were about B 100k per year - and every teacher was a native English speaker.

Also, my experience of knowing students in so-called government private schools is that parents are tapped for a lot more money than the official fees. A few are academically very good - a few - but the parents of poor students who get in on scholarships are suddenly faced with having to borrow to support the school's "extra-curricular" activities.

It's sad that everything in this place is a rip-off, from kindergarten upwards.