Thailand upgrades quality of Hom Mali rice

Lite Beer

Are they talking about grain type of % non broken rice ???

I wanna know who gets paid for breaking percentages of rice. Or is this another child labour advantage pi**take nobody's ware of? cheesy.gif

sorry.. wai.gif

It is really astonishing, how little some farangs know about rice, rice processing, rice quality specs etc.

When rice is harvested, these is a brown skin around, therefore called "Paddy rice

At a rice mill, that skin is removed, called Polishing. Also discoloured etc rice grains are removed by a sortex system. This does NOT go with very careful hands, but with high speed machinery, with result.. some grains might break of a part be split off.

I would advise to search a little at Internet, or try to visit a rice processing unit.

I presume the laughing symbol is for your own stupidity ?

• Like 1

What the heck is the actual difference supposed to be between 100% Grades 1, 2 and 3??

And no, I'm not looking for any snarky, weevil responses... facepalm.gif

I want to advise you to visit some websites of rice mills.

Or see the official Thai standards

Standard for Rice CODEX STAN 198-1995, Thai governmental rice standards: normal, aromatic TAS 4001-2008 and Hom Mali TAS 4000-2003 and agricultural practices TAS 4400-2009. See also company standards Riceland. For documents, see here. Additional info: see here and for port authorities EU for rice and rice products from China: here

More, WFP spec 15%; Thai 25%; THAI and CAMBODIA WHITE RICE 35%; Vietnam 15 %; Vietnam 25 %, Betuco

Edited by puipuitom

Standard for Rice CODEX STAN 198-1995, Thai governmental rice standards: normal, aromatic TAS 4001-2008 and Hom Mali TAS 4000-2003 and agricultural practices TAS 4400-2009. See also company standards Riceland. For documents, see here. Additional info: see here and for port authorities EU for rice and rice products from China: here

More, WFP spec 15%; Thai 25%; THAI and CAMBODIA WHITE RICE 35%; Vietnam 15 %; Vietnam 25 %, Betuco

Only very pity, no contaminations or microbiological properties are standarised.

I think in this about

1) heavy metal contaminations, like Aluminium: < 10 ppb, other heavy metals: Lead: Pb < 0,2 mg/kg, Cadmium, Cd < 0,2 mg/kg (ppm), Arsenic ( As) see see EU 1881/2006 –annex

2) pesticide residues see Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs) of pesticides EU: 395/2005 + amendments and annex gives the consolidated version, and relevant mycotoxinen like Aflatoxine B1 ≤2,0 ppb, sum B1 , B2 , G1 , G2 ≤ 4,0 ppb; Ochratoxine ≤ 3 ppb

3) Microbiologic values :

Aëroob plate count : ≤ 100.000 kve/gr

Yeast : ≤ 1.000 kve/gr

Mold cfu/g : ≤ 200

Bacillus cereus cfu/g : ≤ 200

S. aureus cfu/g : ≤ 200

Enterobacteriaceae : ≤ 1.000 kve/gr

Coliformen : ≤ 1.000 kve/gr

Salmonella spp. cfu/25 g. : Not Detected

Clostridium perfringens : ≤ 100 kve/gr

I never forget a trip with several European buyers to several rice mills.

At one quite some birds inside. One of the buyers said in German, so many could understand, but probably no Thai: Do you see that bird over there: it has bird flue. Some of its droppings enters a pack and arrives in a house for elderly people. A few days later one dies, 10 sick, and .. is traced back to YOUR pack of rice used that week.

Later at another rice mill. A dog was dropping a "sausage" on top of a pile of paddy rice. No Thai moved. All my buyers moved.. towards the mini van.

They've either created a slightly lower grade in order to make the highest grade appear like an even higher grade, or what has always been their highest grade was diluted and now it isn't. Either way it's a scam.

I may just be a touch skeptical, but this would be a good way to move some less than top quality rice. Its just too coincidental to do this when they have a rice mountain.

Or maybe just to be "seen" as doing something the help the industry that they have nearly destroyed

You are implying, that this government has done something wrong? w00t.gif

Costas,

The way the government is now openly being corrupt, without trying to be devious, hopefully suggests that they know the end is nigh. But what's next, is the big issue. It's hard to believe that there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency to solve the economic and political impasse. Meanwhile both the farmers and the economy slide further into debt.

It's been upgraded because they say so and they hope they can charge more as a result. Unfortunately Vietnam now produces the same stuff in better quality and at lower prices than Thailand which has given up its prime export position due to Thaksin's asinine attempt to corner the world rice market. Now the buyers have got used to Vietnamese and Indian rice and won't pay more for inferior or the same quality Thai rice any more. Jasmine rice is also grown in the US. Efforts to patent it have, unsurprisingly, been unsuccessful any more than patenting Granny Smith apples would be. Rice is rice and it's a commodity.