Vendor Killed By Drunk-Driving MBK Manager

Lite Beer

not just one... tons and tons and tons of incidents with cars, motorbikes, guns etc. where the rich Ammart's kids stomp all over Thailand like some Roman General uninterested in their carnage because of WHO they are

THIS is Thailand's problem "krenge jai" your 'betters' and if you can't see that then you are amazingly naive - his relatives COMMENT was:

"explaining that she does not want the incident to make it to the news as she is a high-ranking military officer"

as for your:

"just because one poor person in an old Mercedes crashed while drunk"

I am SPEECHLESS

I'm sorry but if you think the driver is upper class them you're amazingly naive. His car can be obtained with a 10,000 baht/month loan + service, insurance, etc, 25,000 baht tops per month, his job would pay around 150k/month and his highest connection is an non-specific "high" ranking military officer.

Tons and tons? We're talking about 3-5 incidents per year, out of 25,000 road casualties per year, or 0.016%. There are problem people in all classes of society, based on statistics, wealthy people are greatly underrepresented as the cause of road casualties. Why? Of course they are, they have more to lose.

The media selectively publishes when wealthy people are at fault because it makes sales, poor people love reading this stuff. Your lack of critical reading skills combined with your obvious jealousy of the wealthy are the root of your beliefs. They are not backed with facts.

hang on wprime he is manager of mbk shopping mall,don't tell me he is skint.

He's far from skint being a member of the 'illustrious' Krairiksh family and connected to the Bulakul family of MBK.

These people are seriously Bangkok High Society and hopefully they will"look after"the family of the deceased, during which time he will be introduced to less comfortable accommodation for a while at His Majesty's pleasure.

Just as well he wasn't driving a pink Bentley.

Condolences to the victim and family.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 2

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He must have been very drunk if he was worried about the state of his car,as it is an obvious write off,i guess he will be fined,pay compo and that will be it.

Wow i did not realise that they write cars off in Thailand. I was once in a smash in car my friend was driving , severe damage side impact and two broken ribs, the car is now in immacualte condition and has been returned for other family memebers to drive. Yes, in the UK the car would have been a write off, as mine once was with a broken head light wing and bumber after another car slid into it one snowy morning, but in Thailand it would take a real mangle to write it off, and i do not think this damage is enough in Thailand, going by past experience .

• Like 1

Disgusting... being more concerned about the car and the reputation than the poor man who died.

I experienced this once: a family had bumped a motorcycle driver of his bike. The family stayed in the car and even locked it with no attention to the victim on the motorbike. I went to help bit I am disgusted at this behavior...!

His insurance company will pay for all damages up to the insured amount. And maybe some other restitution will be paid. And that will be the end of it.

Really the way it should be I think. This man will never forget this, and it will haunt him. Forever. No sense and damaging more lives by dragging it out. Like some places in the world. Past is past.

If it was in the west you'd be right. He'd never forget but TIT and Thais DO forget.

They have this uncanny gift to block bad things out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The "gift to be able to block" things out is part of basic Buddhist training. A bad hash-up by some one who is not qualified to talk about Buddha Dhamma would be something like - don't dwell on the past you can not change it, don't dwell on the future because you are not able to predict it - dwell in the present so that you can be mindful of what you do. Understand the senses and the sense gates, be aware of inputs from the senses, address and understand, control the sense gates and return to a state of mindfulness in the present, Add in the 4 Noble truths, 8 Fold path and the 4 sublime states and you would have a basic understanding.

Thai people deal with death not because they are any less than human, rather that they understand their "humanity" better than most westerners. If the drunk actually remembers his precepts then he would be able to apply this - the family of the deceased will have no choice but to deal with the ramification.

Having said that family (with a broad definition) is more important to most Thai people and the culture than it is to most westerners. Remember that this is not the west, where the family would have support and assistance from the government

Absolute B'S... look at the bull!

Black Mercedes = @#$hole. Add a red plate and means huge @#$hole. Every close call I have had in driving in BKK has been with Rich jerks in German cars. No matter. The rich can still kill whoever they want in Thailand. Hope some day people driving cars that could pay for 500 medical operations for the poor will become targets.

I resent that you judge rich people and Mercedes drivers as being jerks just because one poor person in an old Mercedes crashed while drunk.

Just a jealous penniless .....

Seems most things have been covered, but i can only speak as i find, and from all the Thai's that i've met, its more common and seems socially acceptable to drink and drive than to not. Some may disagree, but I REITERATE it's only as i find.

• Like 2

"I heard him ask how his car is, whether the police are taking care of it, and whether the police have already towed the car to the police station."

It doesn't look like there was much left of his Benz from the picture. Certainly nothing that could be towed.

she does not want the incident to make it to the news as she is a high-ranking military officer.

From which point on in life do these clowns consider themselves 'untouchable'? Sergeant, Major, Colonel?

Hi So's...............from birth!

RIP to the gentleman who was working hard to support his disabled brother. My prayers are with his poor family who must be devastated.

The killer should get fifteen years at least, as it is not only "reckless driving", if he was too drunk to speak or stay awake then his decision to go racing around in his car is beyong reckless, it is murderous.

Owning heavy furniture is not murderous, but if I get drunk and start throwing furniture from a high balcony, this is murderous as there is a good chance of somebody being hurt or killed because of my actions. If somebody was killed I would expect to do time for manslaughter at least, and my feelings of remorse when I sober up don't mean anything. Alcohol is an adult drug, and if you take it you are expected to be of adult age and to behave like an adult, with adult rules and consequences.

• Like 1

His insurance company will pay for all damages up to the insured amount. And maybe some other restitution will be paid. And that will be the end of it.

Really the way it should be I think. This man will never forget this, and it will haunt him. Forever. No sense and damaging more lives by dragging it out. Like some places in the world. Past is past.

and why show Thais what happen to people who drink ?

hide every thing is you way, and you will receive some back pocket money for keeping quiet

and Insurance companies do not pay out on accidents if the drive is drunk

they will wipe this and except no responsibility

You must work for PTP as this is their motto

MBK executive held for killing vendor
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- An MBK mall executive was arrested for killing a street vendor and injuring a garbage collector in an alleged drunk-driving incident in Bangkok early yesterday.

Following the accident report shortly after midnight, police arrived at Hua Med Alley on Chakkrawat Road in Samphanthawong district and found the body of street vendor Somchai Kampiewphan, 57, an injured city employee Thaweep Saenkham, 27, near a garbage truck.

MBK Group's Decoration Department executive Chaidole Krairiksh, 61, was arrested at the scene.

His Mercedes Benz sustained damaged to the front.

Chaidole had a blood-alcohol level of 97mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood and has been charged with drunk driving causing death and injury.

Police said the Mercedes crashed into the garbage truck's rear.

Chaidole said he blacked out while driving home from a party.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-20

Unbelievable!! 97mg out of 100mg. He should have passed out before getting in the car. So much for responsible drinking. In my opinion no bail!!!

But after his wife's statement and pushing her Military Rank it is not likely.

My heart goes out to the niece and her disabled father, now because of this ass*ole their future is going to be very hard.

Difficult to say from a photo, but even if they scrapped it for parts he'll still get around 500,000 baht for it so considering the car's value of 1.1M that's only 600,000 baht of damages.

I'm curious as to what parts you think are worth 500k on this vehicle?

You'll be amazed at the prices in Thailand. Used parts, particularly for older German cars are far more expensive than they would be in your home country as a lot of the shops use them in their repairs as new parts can be prohibitively expensive.

I wouldn't be that amazed as I traded in sending old Volks back to the UK before the pound went down the toilet in 2010 ish. Believe me when I say, its worth nowhere near that, cars are expensive because of the 200% import tax but parts are less so.

Chassis/vin number might be worth a bit it the wrong hands though.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Insurance companies will pay out if the driver is drunk? I think you might be mistaken there.

I think your'e right here.....he will pay compensation and what ever other costs......

I doubt he'll be locked away, but likely get a suspended sentence.....

He wont forget it completely, but it will become unimportant to him when the case is settled........definately will not haunt him forever......!

Won't forget it?

he doesnt even remember it now as he was asleep when it happened

Edited by Scarpolo
  • Like 1

If it was in the west you'd be right. He'd never forget but TIT and Thais DO forget.

They have this uncanny gift to block bad things out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The "gift to be able to block" things out is part of basic Buddhist training. A bad hash-up by some one who is not qualified to talk about Buddha Dhamma would be something like - don't dwell on the past you can not change it, don't dwell on the future because you are not able to predict it - dwell in the present so that you can be mindful of what you do. Understand the senses and the sense gates, be aware of inputs from the senses, address and understand, control the sense gates and return to a state of mindfulness in the present, Add in the 4 Noble truths, 8 Fold path and the 4 sublime states and you would have a basic understanding.

Thai people deal with death not because they are any less than human, rather that they understand their "humanity" better than most westerners. If the drunk actually remembers his precepts then he would be able to apply this - the family of the deceased will have no choice but to deal with the ramification.

Having said that family (with a broad definition) is more important to most Thai people and the culture than it is to most westerners. Remember that this is not the west, where the family would have support and assistance from the government

Nice own goal.

don't dwell on the future because you are not able to predict it

The common practice of selling future predictions of all kinds in Buddhist temples, show exactly how open to interpretation ‘noble truths’ in Buddhism are for most Thais.

• Like 1

A female relative of Mr. Chaidole later arrived at the police station and expressed her willingness to pay any compensation to Ms. Yaowalak. She also asked the reporters not to photograph Mr. Chaidole, explaining that she does not want the incident to make it to the news as she is a high-ranking military officer.

Do I detect a bit of Hi-So here? Totally disgusting. I hope it is on every television station news report and in every newspaper front page.

Photos of both of them I hope....MBK manager & the hi-so high ranking military officer.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

smile.png)...They're in a different world......terrible self serving people.....rich and trash!

rich and trash?

A clever joke about the truck yah?

Now you're talking rubbish and a load of garbage?

Room for one more in Singapore.

If you've got the money there always is.

Wouldn't Singapore refuse entry to a foreigner who's just recklessly killed another person while driving drunk?! It's not like Singaporeans don't read the news.

Have you been asleep all the years you have been here? Did you not follow the antics of the Red Bull heir who killed a policeman while drunk driving and fled to Singapore to avoid prosecution? Singapore did not refuse entry to him.

• Like 1

Room for one more in Singapore.

If you've got the money there always is.

Wouldn't Singapore refuse entry to a foreigner who's just recklessly killed another person while driving drunk?! It's not like Singaporeans don't read the news.

Have you been asleep all the years you have been here? Did you not follow the antics of the Red Bull heir who killed a policeman while drunk driving and fled to Singapore to avoid prosecution? Singapore did not refuse entry to him.

It's a little off-topic, but did he actually flee to Singapore, or was he allowed to leave Thailand? The police or court didn't take his passport, did they? He wasn't convicted of a crime, so why would Singapore refuse him entry?

This guy may be in a similar situation, but I don't think he has quite the socio-economic status as the Red Bull heir. He is up the ladder, but he is still a paid employee, although he is probably very well paid. He may be able to pay his way out of this, but he is far from untouchable, IMO.

Move along everyone. This is Thailand and Chaidole will never set foot inside a prison. He fell asleep behind the wheel and looks like he's dozed off again in that photo at the police station. So he can't recall a thing and therefore, conveniently for him, won't suffer any guilt or remorse.

His hi-so relative has already pointed out her senior military connections in a veiled threat to Somchai's niece. Somchai's family might not dare press charges against the killer.

Chaidole's family are wealthy and comfortable enough to overcome any legal difficulty. Any compensation payment will be like small change to them, it won't hurt them a bit. Chaidole's insurance company will foot the bill for a shiny new Merc and he'll be driving around on a street near you before you know it.

Did the Honda girl who sent those minivan passengers tumbling off the expressway go to prison? Remember the Mercedes killer who ploughed into a crowded bus stop? The Red Bull heir living it up in Singapore? The list is endless .....

This is Thailand.

• Like 1

I agree pay restitution to the family say 5 or 6 mil

Then THROW the useless ass in prison for say 5 or 6 years