Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

I'd never heard of Ralph Fitch but courtesy of google;

At this time links between the Burmese capital, Pegu, and the Lan Na capital, Chiang Mai, were strong. Fitch may not have known it, but Nandabayin's palace, built by his father, Bayinnaung, was the great Kambawzathadi (now under reconstruction by the Burmese authorities) where King Mae Ku (1551-1564), the last independent ruler of Lan Na's Mangrai Dynasty, lived out his days as a prisoner in a gilded cage, a royal residence with a double-tiered roof provided as a courtesy by his conqueror, King Bayinnaung. Nor was Fitch likely to have known that a section of the New City wall, as well as one of the New City's twenty gates (the easternmost gate of the southern wall) had been built with funds subscribed by the City of Chiang Mai, and that as a consequence it was called Chiang Mai Gate.

Fitch did know, however, of Chiang Mai's existence, though he styles the city 'Jamahey'. At the time of his visit to Pegu, Chiang Mai was ruled by King Nawrahtaminsaw (1578-1607), son of the deceased King Bayinnaung and younger brother of King Nandabayin. The intrepid representative of London's Levant Company set out for Chiang Mai in late 1586. His report, albeit relatively short, is the earliest description we have in English of the Lan Na capital. As such, it bears recounting in full and comparison with what we know both of Chiang Mai in the time of Nawrahtaminsaw and the city as it is today

Ralph Fitch and Chiang Mai

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this time links between the Burmese capital, Pegu, and the Lan Na capital, Chiang Mai, were strong. Fitch may not have known it, but Nandabayin's palace, built by his father, Bayinnaung, was the great Kambawzathadi (now under reconstruction by the Burmese authorities) where King Mae Ku (1551-1564), the last independent ruler of Lan Na's Mangrai Dynasty, lived out his days as a prisoner in a gilded cage, a royal residence with a double-tiered roof provided as a courtesy by his conqueror, King Bayinnaung. Many of the locals called this domicile, 'The Spotlight'. Furthemore, the mamasan, rich bitch , who started the Fitch Itch, and is reported still pumping iron at a famed Night Market location to this day. Nor was Fitch likely to have known that a section of the New City wall, as well as one of the New City's twenty gates (the easternmost gate of the southern wall) had been built with funds subscribed by the City of Chiang Mai, and that as a consequence it was called Chiang Mai Gate.

Fitch did know, however, of Chiang Mai's existence, though he styles the city 'Jamahey'. At the time of his visit to Pegu, Chiang Mai was ruled by King Nawrahtaminsaw (1578-1607), son of the deceased King Bayinnaung and younger brother of King Nandabayin. The intrepid representative of London's Levant Company set out for Chiang Mai in late 1586. His report, albeit relatively short, is the earliest description we have in English of the Lan Na capital. As such, it bears recounting in full and comparison with what we know both of Chiang Mai in the time of Nawrahtaminsaw and the city as it is today

Was the Spotlight around in those days...... any real old timer out there????

At this time links between the Burmese capital, Pegu, and the Lan Na capital, Chiang Mai, were strong. Fitch may not have known it, but Nandabayin's palace, built by his father, Bayinnaung, was the great Kambawzathadi (now under reconstruction by the Burmese authorities) where King Mae Ku (1551-1564), the last independent ruler of Lan Na's Mangrai Dynasty, lived out his days as a prisoner in a gilded cage, a royal residence with a double-tiered roof provided as a courtesy by his conqueror, King Bayinnaung. Many of the locals called this domicile, 'The Spotlight'. Furthemore, the mamasan, rich bitch , who started the Fitch Itch, and is reported still pumping iron at a famed Night Market location to this day. Nor was Fitch likely to have known that a section of the New City wall, as well as one of the New City's twenty gates (the easternmost gate of the southern wall) had been built with funds subscribed by the City of Chiang Mai, and that as a consequence it was called Chiang Mai Gate.

Was the Spotlight around in those days...... any real old timer out there????

The Spotlight hadn't opened then but some of the girls working there now were already on the game. There were quite a few topless bars around town though.

I vaguely remember Ralph Fitch. He didn't make much of an impact on the social scene as the locals were appalled at his attitude to personal hygiene.

Sounds like the original back packer. Back then Europeans only washed once a year. Did he carry a change of clothes ? The whiff must have been pretty bad :o

Some would say that little has changed over the years. Ralph was often spotted around town sitting at food shops drinking the same glass of water all day and annotating a parchment copy of a book called "Ye Olde Lonely Planet". Totally unaware of the other patrons scrambling to get upwind.

The car park has been built over, just so you know. :o

Has Matthew opened his new bar yet. Last I heard was about 12months ago.

I go by there often in the afternoon and there is still no sign up and it is never open. I occasionally see one of the safety doors rolled up as I have for the last year and 1/2, but otherwise, no sign of life.

I have eaten at O'Malleys twice in the last week....simple morning fare, a breakfast sandwich one day and the omlette the next. Both were good and I also had good service. I will be returning again.

But as I read thru this thread I don't think this is the right place to post this ! :o Everything seems pretty far off topic now ! :D

and about the time that I think this thread is finally dead it suddenly springs to life again ! :D :D

Hello

I am in Chiang Mai. Can someone direct me to the Red Lion.

thank you in advance

You could always just go straight to Tuskers (cold, cold beer Lao) and loads of it.. :o ,great atmosphere, decor etc.. Then ask the lovely staff for directions to the RL.. :D

Ok Ok, I am probably the last one to know and . .. but where is Tuskers??

The obvious answer is to go to the Red Lion, have a cold whatever and ask their staff for directions :D

Never good to display your incompetence in public :o

Apologies for not knowing my left and right, no deliberate misdirection intended just general uselessness.

Feel free to come into Tuskers and take the piss anytime but anyone who comes in this Friday night and mentions this thread and my directional ineptitude can have their second drink on me by way of recompense to the bored.

Sounds like a good idea to me - didn't make it last weekend - got waylaid and well laid instead

I meant to ask this and not sure if this is going to contravene the forum rules but can you post your menu up here for us to check it out. I can't remember what you have on offer food wise.

Anyone hear anything about one of the subjects of this thread expanding to the famed Thapae gate area to a place recently gone into refurbishment?????

From what been said the real story behind this would rival the Anna Nicole Smith Saga going on in the US and Bahamas.....

If there is any truth to the story...... I hope the new owner ????? is fair and square with the old staff....

May just be that the thread topic will have to add a new member.

Life goes on...... maybe Good luck John Boy

Anyone hear anything about one of the subjects of this thread expanding to the famed Thapae gate area to a place recently gone into refurbishment?????

Would that be True Blue?

Don't be shy about further dirty details!

Word I got is that the owner J , thought it may be healthier for him to go back to the land of the UK Hilltribes....and if what I heard is true, one of the owners of the topic of this thread is or has already taken over ....

If there is any truth to the story, there seems to be some very slimey slimey going on that caused the lad to withdraw funds and relocate......

Then again TIT

Would that be True Blue?

Word I got is that the owner J , thought it may be healthier for him to go back to the land of the UK Hilltribes....and if what I heard is true, one of the owners of the topic of this thread is or has already taken over ....

If there is any truth to the story, there seems to be some very slimey slimey going on that caused the lad to withdraw funds and relocate......

Then again TIT

Go on let it out...Red Lions Mr M or O'Malleys Mr S ???? Just what CM needs, another UK themed pub..

Would that be True Blue?

Then again TIT

Aren't we talking about health problems ? I don't quite see the owners of the Red Lion or O'Malleys as Mafia types. In any event that location has been blighted by car exhaust fumes ever since they restored the city wall at Thapae Gate.

Okey dokay

post-6321-1172859291_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of a menu in Japan which was Steamed Fish with Shit Mushrooms (shitake?) :o

Other one was in Phnom Phen for Deep Fried Crap, should have been Crab but we weren't game to order it just in case. :D

Re- True Blue

Well if John has split the scene it might give the rest of us a chance in the Irish Pub Quiz Night. The boys at the bar were winning every week even with Sandy handicaping their answers.

Sorry Crow Boy didn't see your post.

Edited by lamphun

Never good to display your incompetence in public :o

Apologies for not knowing my left and right, no deliberate misdirection intended just general uselessness.

Feel free to come into Tuskers and take the piss anytime but anyone who comes in this Friday night and mentions this thread and my directional ineptitude can have their second drink on me by way of recompense to the bored.

Sounds like a good idea to me - didn't make it last weekend - got waylaid and well laid instead

I meant to ask this and not sure if this is going to contravene the forum rules but can you post your menu up here for us to check it out. I can't remember what you have on offer food wise.

Ok as per my posting from last week I went up to Tuskers and had a beer or three - got my second one free despite being a week late. Tuskers now has Singha which I appreciate although it seems you guys prefer Beer Lao(sy) Can't understand why but each to their own.

Food - I had the Thai burger for dinner and let me preface my review by the following caveat. For those of you who like sloppy, greasy cheeseburgers that fall to pieces in your hands and leave you covered from head to arse in grease you are going to HATE this one. The burger is not going to satisfy anyone who likes a half kilo of ground beef on a sweet bun either. The burger is smaller than the average "larger" American style appetite would expect - think Thai meal here not Chicago all you can eat style.

My burger came neatly presented with fresh salad and fries. It has a mild oriental flavour with lime zest which again helps to clean any fat in the patty. I liked it and for my taste it beats hands down the offerings from CM Saloon, Dukes, and Mikes which are the more traditional "greasy spoon" variety. At 150 Baht a pop it is not something to grab on the way home to soak up the beer but for a satisfying meal over the bar it gets my thumbs up.

FYI the menu is limited but for a good reason, they are waiting for the clientele to expand and to test what people like and want to eat. If they go full hog and set up a menu of say the Duke variety then they run the serious risk of having too much food on hand and it not being fresh. I think it is a wise decision but some of you will undoubtably prefer a more extensive selection.

I think this is a good bar and hope they get the support they need. There are way too many bars and restaurants in CM and the majority of them are on the downside of crap. Tuskers is trying to raise the standard but without parking and frontage is going to be difficult.

Okey dokay

post-6321-1172859291_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of a menu in Japan which was Steamed Fish with Shit Mushrooms (shitake?) :o

Other one was in Phnom Phen for Deep Fried Crap, should have been Crab but we weren't game to order it just in case. :D

I was thinking about this and it made me remember some of those memorable signs and menus that abound in Asia.

I would love to see a collective list of great moments in Signage - we could give it a start with the above and perhaps move it to the greater forum depending on the response we get.