Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

had the misfortune to visit both establishments during the week and wish I hadn’t. In the “air-conditioned” (for that read new open plan system with no wall between the bar and the “outside” seating area tho there is a door!) I was eventually served by the surliest staff I have found in a long time only to be assaulted by two rug rats about 3yo who apparently belong to the staff. They had those annoying squeaky shoes on and just ran up and down. My pleas to the staff to have them sit down were treated with total ignore. Bye Bye Red Lion. No sign of the Scouse boss

So next stop O’malleys. Big mistake. Two of the young girls were very nice but useless and “Rose” lives up to every comment I have read on this forum. No sign of the Canadian Boss. After two beers and three attempts to get food I gave up, went round the corner and got beer from a Thai bar and ate from a passing cart.

How either establishment gets customers I do not Know.

Later in the week I went to UN Irish Pub, True Blue and the Laughing Leprechaun . What a change. Friendly attentive staff, Good food and the Boss in attendance in allthree plus operatingAir Conditioning in the last two. Willbe going back to them again

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can't please everyone.

Matthew and Kevin the ex partners of the Red Lion are both decent folks and I hope they prosper in their seperate establishments.

The True Blue always reminds me of a waiting room in a bus station.

Lamphun. Why insult the bus station waiting rooms, I've been in a few nice ones. I agree the "interior decorator" did not do much of a job during the rebuild but the food is good and cheapish.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if either of these two highly commented upon establishments will be serving Turkey tomorrow??? After all if folks had not come from that side of the pond, there would not be a Thanksgiving Day tomorrow......????

I hope they do not try and do an American Thanksgiving Dinner....

Really I just missed the thread and was sad to see it fall so far back....

remember it has a cult following

Turkey and Kool Aid [Grape] the number 1 cult drink of choice

:o:D:D

So next stop O’malleys. Big mistake. Two of the young girls were very nice but useless and “Rose” lives up to every comment I have read on this forum. No sign of the Canadian Boss. After two beers and three attempts to get food I gave up, went round the corner and got beer from a Thai bar and ate from a passing cart.

How either establishment gets customers I do not Know.

Was in O'Malley's on Friday night the place was packed but unfortunatley no staff. Scott the owner was in a daze, waited 15 minutes and left having still never got served!

Excellent way to lose money :o

Brilliant resurrection Gonzo :D It's great to have the thread back

Wili either if these two establishments be doing a gala dinner for Chinese New Year? I know it's early but it pays to plan ahead.

I believe that O'Malleys have the ability to put on a good Christmas spread (I have eaten there a lot in the past and never found the food wanting)

BUT who really wants their Christmas day fcuked up by a surly cow like jug ears.

Not me. I can't really understand why Scottie does not send her packing (in all the posts on this thread there has not been a solitary poster who has had an even close to nice word to say about her) :o

Does anyone know if either of these two highly commented upon establishments will be serving Turkey tomorrow??? After all if folks had not come from that side of the pond, there would not be a Thanksgiving Day tomorrow......????

Just been in True Blue and they are advertising a full turkey dinner for 220baht for Thursday. Looks good to me

Brilliant resurrection Gonzo :D It's great to have the thread back

Wili either if these two establishments be doing a gala dinner for Chinese New Year? I know it's early but it pays to plan ahead.

I believe that O'Malleys have the ability to put on a good Christmas spread (I have eaten there a lot in the past and never found the food wanting)

BUT who really wants their Christmas day fcuked up by a surly cow like jug ears.

Not me. I can't really understand why Scottie does not send her packing (in all the posts on this thread there has not been a solitary poster who has had an even close to nice word to say about her) :o

I only get into the joint every 3-4 months or so and I have always found her to be MOST welcoming,friendly,talkative and attentive.......

Usually its about one in the morning and not too busy but always makes for a pleasant end stop to the day before staggering back to me "long lam"...for the very very..last one....hic.

I think this is my cue to tell again about the great staff at Queen Victoria Inn and the relared place (Club House?) on Loi Kroh.

Not saying these are 100% perfect, but in some areas they're among the best in Chiang Mai.

That said, I once walked into O'Malleys in the afternoon, and staff were very friendly and helpful. (Chances are though there's a day and a night shift)

OK daft question. Where is the Queen Victoria? I live in Chiangmai and I want a place to hang out when I am not working. A place with NO hassle.

I think this is my cue to tell again about the great staff at Queen Victoria Inn and the relared place (Club House?) on Loi Kroh.

Not saying these are 100% perfect, but in some areas they're among the best in Chiang Mai.

That said, I once walked into O'Malleys in the afternoon, and staff were very friendly and helpful. (Chances are though there's a day and a night shift)

OK daft question. Where is the Queen Victoria? I live in Chiangmai and I want a place to hang out when I am not working. A place with NO hassle.

Walk through the Chang Phuak (moat) Gate towards Rachawithi Rd and its on your left hand side ...cant miss it. :o

The True Blue always reminds me of a waiting room in a bus station.

You don't look at the Mantle piece when you're stoking the fire.... :o

What fire ?

I searched and searched every last part of my grey matter to say something remotely funny at this.......couldn't!

So you must be Scottish. :D

Queen Victoria is here, on Prapokklao Road, left side before you get to the Thai Airways building when coming from Chang Phuak Gate:

post-6796-1164251554_thumb.jpg

Click to enlarge (slightly :o )

Edited by chanchao

Just been in True Blue and they are advertising a full turkey dinner for 220baht for Thursday. Looks good to me

The Olde Bell IS doing a thanksgiving dinner but at 495 Baht a throw. No sign of the Red Lion or O'malley's advertising Thanksgiving

The Olde Bell IS doing a thanksgiving dinner but at 495 Baht a throw. No sign of the Red Lion or O'malley's advertising Thanksgiving

Maybe they have nothing to give thanks for ????

:D

I suppose but I made friends with the staff there which is why I have company even if I go alone. It can get busy at times though - especially on the pool competition night...

Far better when Yoshie ran it as the "Voodoo Lounge" not that was raw excitement every night :D

However, times change :o

Was that four or five years ago? I think I remember it being better back then than now. Somehow it just seems a bit sanitised now than back in the days of old.

I suppose but I made friends with the staff there which is why I have company even if I go alone. It can get busy at times though - especially on the pool competition night...

Far better when Yoshie ran it as the "Voodoo Lounge" not that was raw excitement every night :D

Was that four or five years ago? I think I remember it being better back then than now. Somehow it just seems a bit sanitised now than back in the days of old.

Anybody know how long is Yoshie's banishment from CM supposed to be???

Until he pays off all the people he ripped off and the local & farang mafia contracts are lifted

Edited by scottie dog

Until he pays off all the people he ripped off and the local & farang mafia contracts are lifted

I would hope you are speaking from personal first hand knowledge, and not many hand hearsay. I have know Yoshie, and the then Bua for a number of years and in fact have advanced him money many times towards the end of his stays, when he had over flashed, and never once did he stiff me... Those who know him, know how he would come in flush and go out flat....

In fact I had heard, and this could be many hands later, that he was owed a sizable amount of money from a deal on the Voodoo.....

I also had heard that it was the police who suggested he not come back to Chiang Mai.....but that is also not first hand.....

Well Yoshie, whereever you and Bua are ]separate I know] , thanks for all the entertainment and wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.

:D:D

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I would hope you are speaking from personal first hand knowledge, and not many hand hearsay. I have know Yoshie, and the then Bua for a number of years and in fact have advanced him money many times towards the end of his stays, when he had over flashed, and never once did he stiff me... Those who know him, know how he would come in flush and go out flat....

In fact I had heard, and this could be many hands later, that he was owed a sizable amount of money from a deal on the Voodoo.....

I also had heard that it was the police who suggested he not come back to Chiang Mai.....but that is also not first hand.....

Well Yoshie, whereever you and Bua are ]separate I know] , thanks for all the entertainment and wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.

I have and he did. He was running a property rental pyramid scam which went all wrong, as all pyramid schemes do. He is NOT welcome in CM. No that is wrong, many, who he ripped off would like to get their hands etc on him. I hope I am talking about the same US man who claimed to be an air engineer working for Air America, or similar. Did he have a small (gotee) beard ?

I have and he did. He was running a property rental pyramid scam which went all wrong, as all pyramid schemes do. He is NOT welcome in CM. No that is wrong, many, who he ripped off would like to get their hands etc on him. I hope I am talking about the same US man who claimed to be an air engineer working for Air America, or similar. Did he have a small (gotee) beard ?

They are 10 a penny in C.M.

Australian Morris - the male nurse - is STILL looking for Yoshie! :D

Let him look on....just another reptile :o

Which "him" are you referring to, Yoshie or Morris

I am confident he is referring to the latter and I would tend to concur with his description.

and a quote from a preceeding post.....

I just wonder who this might be referring to :D

Edited by john b good

I am confident he is referring to the latter and I would tend to concur with his description.

I didn't know Morris very well.

We took the RSA English teaching course together in Bangkok in about 1995 and I ran into him now and again in Chiang Mai when he owned True Blue. He always seemed pleasant to me. :D

and a quote from a preceeding post.....

I asked the question of "which him" to the poster. How can you assume to know which "Him" and on what basis are you attacking Morris. It was Morris and many other bar owner/property renters who were ripped off by Yoshie. Please substantiate your comment or withdraw it.

I just wonder who this might be referring to :D