Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

I will be going down from Pai to Chiang Mai next month (Sunday 11th) for a celebration. It is our wedding anniversary on the 11th and my birthday on the 15th.

I would like somewhere nice to take the missus for a meal and maybe a Guinness. Exactly where where is O 'Malleys (for a boy from the bush), I know where Tha Pae gate and the airport are and usually manage to find Lotus but where is the pub with lots of beer?

Thanks,

Colin

You get a decent Guinness at "The Queen Vic" in Chiang Mai as well.. http://www.queenvictoriainnsthailand.com/Q...angmaiindex.htm

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be going down from Pai to Chiang Mai next month (Sunday 11th) for a celebration. It is our wedding anniversary on the 11th and my birthday on the 15th.

I would like somewhere nice to take the missus for a meal and maybe a Guinness. Exactly where where is O 'Malleys (for a boy from the bush), I know where Tha Pae gate and the airport are and usually manage to find Lotus but where is the pub with lots of beer?

Thanks,

Colin

You get a decent Guinness at "The Queen Vic" in Chiang Mai as well.. http://www.queenvictoriainnsthailand.com/Q...angmaiindex.htm

Foods meant to be top notch there as well.

Too right there's nothing wrong with it..It's blooming great..

IMHO the Guinness at the Laughing Leprechaun takes some beating and the food is some of the best western grub in town - just a shame that it has a tendency to be very quiet . . . . maybe we can do something about that! :o

JxP

And last but not least, the "Guinness" on tap was sublime..Great atmosphere to boot..

You're into your Malaysian stout then? :o

I have found the atmosphere to be pretty good in there at times to be fair.

I am an Aussie not a pom, i don't sweat the small stuff. If it tastes good, it is good.. :D

I can see why you wouldn't, hailing from the land of xxxx and fosters. :D

Malaysian Guinness?:D If you call it Royal Stout then that is good stuff but no need to mock the real black stuff :D

What's the shelf life of a keg of Gunness if you only sell a couple of pints a night ?

Ask Wetherspoon. Apparently he buys it cheap near the end of its shelf life and then sells it cheap because he knows it will shift.

Good excuse to finish the keg off yourself if you're only selling a couple a night :o

And last but not least, the "Guinness" on tap was sublime..Great atmosphere to boot..

I am an Aussie not a pom, i don't sweat the small stuff. If it tastes good, it is good.. :bah:

I can see why you wouldn't, hailing from the land of xxxx and fosters. :o

Malaysian Guinness?:D If you call it Royal Stout then that is good stuff but no need to mock the real black stuff :bah:

Sorry cobber dont touch xxxx or fosters, and i dont know another Aussie that does.. We export all our rubbish to the UK as you did with us some 200+ years ago.. :D VB (Victoria Bitter) , Coopers pale ale, boags premium, emu export, cascade etc ,etc, real beer for real men.. :D :D and we like it cold not room temp...whats that all about ??

What's the shelf life of a keg of Gunness if you only sell a couple of pints a night ?

Guinness told me that in Thailand you must sell a keg within 5 days so the shelf life is bugger all. That is why a) most pubs don't sell it and :o in the ones that do sell it and don't have the throughput the quality is sometimes ropey.

The shelf life in Europe is much longer but then everyone has a refrigerated celler.

VB rocks :o

Too right. Unfortunately i can't seem to find one around the traps lately. Downunder has ordered but no delivery yet, same with Rimping who i used to by cases from.. Ah well Asahi is the closest you can get here at the mo..Goes great with "pizza"..

post-31110-1171591531_thumb.jpg

I am an Aussie not a pom, i don't sweat the small stuff. If it tastes good, it is good..

Malaysian Guinness? If you call it Royal Stout then that is good stuff but no need to mock the real black stuff :bah:

Sorry cobber dont touch xxxx or fosters, and i dont know another Aussie that does.. We export all our rubbish to the UK as you did with us some 200+ years ago.. :D VB (Victoria Bitter) , Coopers pale ale, boags premium, emu export, cascade etc ,etc, real beer for real men.. :D :D and we like it cold not room temp...whats that all about ??

Yeah, I've seen that stuff in UK pubs... all the women drink it. Real beer, real men? Oz? bit of a misnomer there me thinks. All a bunch a lager louts the lot of ya :D About the best drop in that part of the world is Speights and that's NZ :bah:

Myth about the warm beer btw.. your embarrasing yourself now. Granted there are one or two that are served at room temp for maximum flavour for the codgers, but everything else is served appropriately - we do have fridges. ;)

I am an Aussie not a pom, i don't sweat the small stuff. If it tastes good, it is good..

Malaysian Guinness? If you call it Royal Stout then that is good stuff but no need to mock the real black stuff :bah:

Yeah, I've seen that stuff in UK pubs... all the women drink it. Real beer, real men? Oz? bit of a misnomer there me thinks. All a bunch a lager louts the lot of ya :D About the best drop in that part of the world is Speights and that's NZ :bah:

Myth about the warm beer btw.. your embarrasing yourself now. Granted there are one or two that are served at room temp for maximum flavour for the codgers, but everything else is served appropriately - we do have fridges. ;)

I thought this thread was “Red Lion & O’Malley’s” Why the diversion to promote Queen Vic (vested interest?) & Guinness

You're into your Malaysian stout then? :D

I can see why you wouldn't, hailing from the land of xxxx and fosters. ;)

Yeah, I've seen that stuff in UK pubs... all the women drink it. Real beer, real men? Oz? bit of a misnomer there me thinks. All a bunch a lager louts the lot of ya :bah: About the best drop in that part of the world is Speights and that's NZ :o

Myth about the warm beer btw.. your embarrasing yourself now. Granted there are one or two that are served at room temp for maximum flavour for the codgers, but everything else is served appropriately - we do have fridges. :D

I thought this thread was “Red Lion & O’Malley’s” Why the diversion to promote Queen Vic (vested interest?) & Guinness

Why not.?? Does it really matter..?? :o And no, i have no vested interests other than i like the place.. Is that a crime ?? Cheers..AT

Edited by Austhaied

You're into your Malaysian stout then? :D

I can see why you wouldn't, hailing from the land of xxxx and fosters. ;)

Sorry cobber dont touch xxxx or fosters, and i dont know another Aussie that does.. We export all our rubbish to the UK as you did with us some 200+ years ago.. VB (Victoria Bitter) , Coopers pale ale, boags premium, emu export, cascade etc ,etc, real beer for real men.. :D :D and we like it cold not room temp...whats that all about ??

Myth about the warm beer btw.. your embarrasing yourself now. Granted there are one or two that are served at room temp for maximum flavour for the codgers, but everything else is served appropriately - we do have fridges. :D

Why not.?? Does it really matter..?? :o And no, i have no vested interests other than i like the place.. Is that a crime ?? Cheers..AT

Yeah, who gives a smeg who we mention. You need comparisons to know how <deleted> the former are/were :o

Hello

I am in Chiang Mai. Can someone direct me to the Red Lion.

thank you in advance

Chiang Mai is a good startng point. The Red Lion is on Loi Kroh road but after you have crossed Chang Klan (the night Bazaar road). Its about 80 yards up on the right.

Hello

thank you in advance

You could always just go straight to Tuskers (cold, cold beer Lao) and loads of it.. :o ,great atmosphere, decor etc.. Then ask the lovely staff for directions to the RL.. :D

Ok Ok, I am probably the last one to know and . .. but where is Tuskers??

Hello

thank you in advance

You could always just go straight to Tuskers (cold, cold beer Lao) and loads of it.. :o ,great atmosphere, decor etc.. Then ask the lovely staff for directions to the RL.. :D

Ok Ok, I am probably the last one to know and . .. but where is Tuskers??

Here..

post-31110-1172067866_thumb.jpg

Hello

thank you in advance

Chiang Mai is a good startng point. The Red Lion is on Loi Kroh road but after you have crossed Chang Klan (the night Bazaar road). Its about 80 yards up on the right.

Tusker, I assume your directions originate from heading east on Loi Kroh Rd from the Khlong end? Not so long ago the Red Lion was on the left side of Loi Kroh about 50-60 mts past Changklan Rd. Are you saying it has now moved into the car park on the right side of the road? That's news to me, but I've been away for a short while.

The car park has been built over, just so you know. :o

Has Matthew opened his new bar yet. Last I heard was about 12months ago.

Red lion is still in its old position on the LEFT. Yes mathew has opened his new place with a strange name I can never remember and it does not help that the new place (ex Rock Hard) has no name board/signs!!

Never good to display your incompetence in public :o

Apologies for not knowing my left and right, no deliberate misdirection intended just general uselessness.

Feel free to come into Tuskers and take the piss anytime but anyone who comes in this Friday night and mentions this thread and my directional ineptitude can have their second drink on me by way of recompense to the bored.

Never good to display your incompetence in public :D

Apologies for not knowing my left and right, no deliberate misdirection intended just general uselessness.

Feel free to come into Tuskers and take the piss anytime but anyone who comes in this Friday night and mentions this thread and my directional ineptitude can have their second drink on me by way of recompense to the bored.

Done! :D:D:o

That is a kind and delightful offer, Tuskers, but I feel compelled to add that, in my humble opinion at least, one in no way needs to be bored in order to be able to enjoy thoroughly your most pleasant establishment! :o

The car park has been built over, just so you know. :D

Has Matthew opened his new bar yet. Last I heard was about 12months ago.

Red lion is still in its old position on the LEFT. Yes mathew has opened his new place with a strange name I can never remember and it does not help that the new place (ex Rock Hard) has no name board/signs!!

ralph fitch i believe. supposed first british man in chiang mai or something :o