Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hear anything about one of the subjects of this thread expanding to the famed Thapae gate area to a place recently gone into refurbishment?????

Would that be True Blue?

Don't be shy about further dirty details!

Word I got is that the owner J , thought it may be healthier for him to go back to the land of the UK Hilltribes....and if what I heard is true, one of the owners of the topic of this thread is or has already taken over ....

If there is any truth to the story, there seems to be some very slimey slimey going on that caused the lad to withdraw funds and relocate......

Then again TIT

Aren't we talking about health problems ? I don't quite see the owners of the Red Lion or O'Malleys as Mafia types. In any event that location has been blighted by car exhaust fumes ever since they restored the city wall at Thapae Gate.

I have heard from one of Scottish Johns friends that he had a double whammy over the last weekend with the discovery thet his manager had wiped out his local accounts, his car (conned him into taking a loan from the Mafia) when he thought he was signing the receipt for the first 30,000 baht payment to him for the sale of HIS car for 120,000 baht (arthur daley could not have done it better) at the same time as he received very bad news from home. It would appear that he is not coming back any time soon and has asked kevin from Red Lion to help run or dispose of the place in order to pay the outstanding bills and help the staff. There would appear to be no truth in the rumour that Kevin "muscled" his way in, I gather he was asked and glady agreed to help.

Anyone hear anything about one of the subjects of this thread expanding to the famed Thapae gate area to a place recently gone into refurbishment?????

Would that be True Blue?

Word I got is that the owner J , thought it may be healthier for him to go back to the land of the UK Hilltribes....and if what I heard is true, one of the owners of the topic of this thread is or has already taken over ....

If there is any truth to the story, there seems to be some very slimey slimey going on that caused the lad to withdraw funds and relocate......

Then again TIT

Aren't we talking about health problems ? I don't quite see the owners of the Red Lion or O'Malleys as Mafia types. In any event that location has been blighted by car exhaust fumes ever since they restored the city wall at Thapae Gate.

I have heard from one of Scottish Johns friends that he had a double whammy over the last weekend with the discovery thet his manager had wiped out his local accounts, his car (conned him into taking a loan from the Mafia) when he thought he was signing the receipt for the first 30,000 baht payment to him for the sale of HIS car for 120,000 baht (arthur daley could not have done it better) at the same time as he received very bad news from home. It would appear that he is not coming back any time soon and has asked kevin from Red Lion to help run or dispose of the place in order to pay the outstanding bills and help the staff. There would appear to be no truth in the rumour that Kevin "muscled" his way in, I gather he was asked and glady agreed to help.

Seems like a lot of facts there, but the answers are jumbled.......wrong statements with the wrong answers.....anybody talk to Freddie the cook , then ask him about the paper he was given by John at the time of John's departure.... might put a different light on things..... I could also be led to believe that the lease payment may be going up......

Funny how quite a few know what really went down and choose to be quiet about it..... so I guess silence is golden.....

Freddie your faith will see you through...believe in it.....

GB

Would that be True Blue?

Then again TIT

..... I could also be led to believe that the lease payment may be going up......

GB

That would not surprise me at all.

The rent on the whole building plus the bar at the back was only 15,000 Baht a month. For a location as prime as True Blue and bearing in mind the size of the premises it really should be more like 35-40 !

Okey dokay

post-6321-1172859291_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of a menu in Japan which was Steamed Fish with Shit Mushrooms (shitake?) :o

Other one was in Phnom Phen for Deep Fried Crap, should have been Crab but we weren't game to order it just in case. :D

I was thinking about this and it made me remember some of those memorable signs and menus that abound in Asia.

I would love to see a collective list of great moments in Signage - we could give it a start with the above and perhaps move it to the greater forum depending on the response we get.

Not local signage, but some amusing ones in here:

http://engrish.com/category_index.php?category=Signs/Posters

The Writers Club in Ratchadamnern is my favourite watering hole. It's a bar and restaurant - tho not a bargirl type bar. More for intelligent conversation than crumpet.

The Number 1 Club is too crowded thesedays, after their advertising campaign, plus toward the end of my period there (2005-6) the girls were really piling the pressure on to buy more drinks - obviously a management policy.

One place to avoid IMO is the Siam Cafe in Loi Kroh, where I spent 2 days eating, bringing guests (hundreds of baht spent) and wi-fi-ing recently. At the end of the second day my bill was 360 baht; they refused to give me any change from my 1000! On enquiring the girl (Wa) said it was her birthday.

I took this to be a typical Thai joke - until several minutes went by and still no change.

I then grabbed 500 baht off the till, and asked for the rest, please.

They sent me next door to talk to their 'manager'. The 'manager' said he had nothing to do with the Siam Cafe. Back I went and asked why they'd lied. No reply - their English became very bad at this point.

In the end they KEPT my remaining 140 baht as a (previously unmentioned) 'electricity charge' for my laptop.

I have been going to the Siam Cafe for 2 years and have always tipped generously. But no more.

Would that be True Blue?

Then again TIT

Seems like a lot of facts there, but the answers are jumbled.......wrong statements with the wrong answers.....anybody talk to Freddie the cook , then ask him about the paper he was given by John at the time of John's departure.... might put a different light on things..... I could also be led to believe that the lease payment may be going up......

Funny how quite a few know what really went down and choose to be quiet about it..... so I guess silence is golden.....

Freddie your faith will see you through...believe in it.....

GB

Which answers are jumbled what are the wrong statements with the wrong answers? What is significent about this paper that John gave him (he didn't it was left behind for him) the rent was pre-paid and the contract is a rolling contract with another 18 months left! Where are you getting your info from - a glass ball.