Becoming a farmer in Thailand...

djayz

@ Red Bull. How many ponds do you have? And how big are they length, width, depth? How much land do they consume?

Do you feed only "fish food"? Or do you supplement with restaurant scraps as well?

Thanks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ Red Bull. How many ponds do you have? And how big are they length, width, depth? How much land do they consume?

Do you feed only "fish food"? Or do you supplement with restaurant scraps as well?

Thanks.

9 ponds on 11 rai land, 8 rearing ponds and 1 pond for water reserve. Another 4 ponds (rental) on 10 rai land, 3 rearing pond and 1 pond for water reserve. Smallest 25m x 25m x 2m (water depth @ 1.5m-1.8m), medium 1000sqm, large 1.5 rai - 2rai.

Only commercial pellet feed... grade A and grade Premium only. Betagro or CP feed only...

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by RedBullHorn

Thanks.

9 ponds on 11 rai land, 8 rearing ponds and 1 pond for water reserve. Another 4 ponds (rental) on 10 rai land, 3 rearing pond and 1 pond for water reserve. Smallest 25m x 25m x 2m (water depth @ 1.5m-1.8m), medium 1000sqm, large 1.5 rai - 2rai.

Only commercial pellet feed... grade A and grade Premium only. Betagro or CP feed only...

oh. I thought you said 500,000 off of 2 rai. Does that mean that you are earning 500, 00 per 2 rai of water? or what? I'm a bit confused now.

Why do you have a reserve? Can't you just pump out of a well?

Thank you. How long have you been at this?

Thanks.

oh. I thought you said 500,000 off of 2 rai. Does that mean that you are earning 500, 00 per 2 rai of water? or what? I'm a bit confused now.

Hi...don't be confused...i said 500k+ off 2 rai/year NETT. Confirmed.

You asked how many i have ? The above post stated my operations size. I made about 1.2mil per year on my property alone, if i add rental ponds, plus addition 400k per year... total is 1.6mil/year NETT.

Wells are not reliable... I would very much like to cash in on the reserved ponds...wouldn't i ? But safty net come first...learnt from experiance. Save me many time... :)

Since year 2000 untill now...full time started on year 2007 March...

Edited by RedBullHorn

Considering that " farming and agriculture" are on the list of restricted occupations here in Thailand I don't think that career is viable for a farang

Even if you could get away with "hobby" farming I am sure that if you were even the least bit successful your farmer neighbors would rat you out in a heart beat

The OP also forgot to mention his visa status !

Disagree.

Immigration and the local Plod are not the remotest bit interested in a Felang working on his house or his farm. 10 years of doing ALL the tractor driving on my 64 rai plantation confirm this. Allegedly NK immigration even have photos of me driving my old Ford tractor - they think it's hilarious. Plod give me a big wave on the tractor, even bigger waves driving the E Ten into town. Neighbours even ask for the odd bit of advice, as my trees are superior to all the locals.

Don't worry - chill, enjoy and get on with your life.

After having read some of the negative comments posted here I was a bit down and didn't bother to check my account for a few days. Your post has really cheered me up. Thanks.

Dear OP, ignore most of the knowitall advice on this site, they are full of it. The place to take your soil sample is the สถานีพัฒานาที่ดิน am sure there is one near you. Most of what you mention in your post is viable. The price of the land is expensive you are paying, over the odds you are paying.Also the land would be better to manage as one parcel. You could also rent land, much cheaper, but I understand the meaning of Home as you mention I grow veg all the year round here in Mahasarakarm I have 4 ry with my own water suply, also raise fish, chickens and ducks. Wont get rich but very satisfying and fun. Give it a try, dont listen to the Tossers on here. all the best. JD

Thanks JD... this cheered me up too...

Just a few words.

Check around at prices of a lot of different pieces of land. Thais will stick it to you if they can. Beware. Get knowledgable about the price of land before you buy anything.

Consider anything that you do buy "not yours" because there is a high probability of it being that way if things go south with you and your gal.

Give up the idea of 4 rai producing enough to live on and enough to purchase more land with the prices that you are quoting. You'll be lucky to survive on 4 rai IMO.

You can do a lot (I do) without interference from authorities. Always keep informed about law and what you can and cannot legally do here. It COULD" come down to that.

I farm here. It is nothing like I thought it would be. Growing shit and selling shit are different animals. If you don't have a market for your product and a way to sell it without getting hosed by someone in the middle, you are just another poor Thai farmer.

If you truly love the land like you say, then do it for love. I'd keep money out of it without a good well thought out plan of how you are going to profit.

I've got a hundred and three rai of planted sugarcane, a tractor, a house, all the irrigation equipment that you would need, in Isaan that I would sell tomorrow if I could. Interested?

Thanks for the advice and offer.

To be hones, that's way too much land for me. Way more than I ever want. Good luck with the sale though.

4 rai of land.

Many Thai Farmers have 4 rai of land or less. They belong to the second poorest people in Thailand. Now, Farang comes along and wants to do better !

And (quote) "but she isn't living up to my expectations." Before something get's off the ground, OP is already crying out for a good lawyer!

No further comment needed.

Cheers.

1. I never said I wanted to do "better". Please go back and read my original text.

2. I'm not "crying out" for a lawyer, I simply want to be sure of the legal situation and have all documents in place before I pay.There's nothing wrong with looking for "advice", legal or otherwise.

Go back to your beer bar and finish your beer.

Your decision to engage in such an endeavor must have it's roots in a beer bar. Nobody in a sober state of mind would even consider it.

Don't forget to click off the lights by leaving for home.

Cheers.

Nope, 100% sober. Enjoy your beer.

Jake,

your house is there...ie. the place guarded in a sense.

your water supply is there.

not to mention that you invested to building, and invested to pigs and feed...not that little bit.

a wife who support you, and whom you trust.

vs. OP

money for 2+2 rai, and about it, hoping to maybe buy some from the profits later.

a girlfriend whom he has little to no trust, see proposed land arrangement.

do you see some difference?

How did you come to the conclusion that I don't trust my partner? I've been with her for 7 yrs. now and I trust her 100%, but that's not going to stop me from getting legal advice and drawing up a contract. I trust my current employer also, but I have a contract with them too.

"Better to be safe than sorry".

4 rai of land.

Many Thai Farmers have 4 rai of land or less. They belong to the second poorest people in Thailand. Now, Farang comes along and wants to do better !

And (quote) "but she isn't living up to my expectations." Before something get's off the ground, OP is already crying out for a good lawyer!

No further comment needed.

Cheers.

1. I never said I wanted to do "better". Please go back and read my original text.

2. I'm not "crying out" for a lawyer, I simply want to be sure of the legal situation and have all documents in place before I pay.There's nothing wrong with looking for "advice", legal or otherwise.

Go back to your beer bar and finish your beer.

Your decision to engage in such an endeavor must have it's roots in a beer bar. Nobody in a sober state of mind would even consider it.

Don't forget to click off the lights by leaving for home.

Cheers.

Wa#nker.

I'm pretty sure he isn't hearing that for the first time in his life.....

all of us wish you luck in your adventure.

Yes, there are potholes in that road ... some of us are trying to point them out to you.

I'm heavily involved in the Farm in Thailand ... though I don't own one, I live (currently) at my gf's Parents Farm.

the Farming folk here are a great bunch, happy to pass on their experiences ... especially to newbies.

sometimes these tips are bought together.

Here is one thread you might like to read ...

I’ll kick it off with this …

On a positive note there are the health benefits of a small Farm holding.

The Farm style where you have some space around you, a large vege patch and maybe a pond for some fish and more then one fruit tree.

Surely the heath benefit of living on a ‘Hobby Farm’ outweighs any argument that is put that the ‘Farm’ is profitable.

Hopefully you are exercising more working the small Farm holding, eating your own produce … a general sense of well-being.

Maybe you think … Farm profit … goof.gif

But you will live to a ripe old age to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Your story to tell …

you can read it from this clickable link ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/571599-a-farming-myth/

Thank you, much appreciate the kind words and the link. Best regards.

Thanks.

You asked how many i have ? The above post stated my operations size. I made about 1.2mil per year on my property alone, if i add rental ponds, plus addition 400k per year... total is 1.6mil/year NETT.

Wells are not reliable... I would very much like to cash in on the reserved ponds...wouldn't i ? But safty net come first...learnt from experiance. Save me many time... smile.png

Thank you for your info.

That said, make sure everything you do in Thailand is a hobby.

Thailand and Thais are for play, leave everything serious to you far, far away. smile.png

I disagree. I see Thailand as a land of opportunity.

I left the UK 16 years with F all and now have a big house fully paid for and 3 businesses which earn good money for minimu personal work.

With all the beaurocracy back home I could have set none of them up so all the scaremongers on here warning about work permits and the dangers of being ripped off are just regergitating stuff they have heard about but not tried anything themselves.

OK Pattaya, Puhket and Bangkok are full of bent cops and dodgy people etc after a quick buck but we are talking about Issan here which is a laid back easy going place where no one gives a stuff what I get up to as long as I don't go looking for trouble.

I think anyone with their heart in the right place, a good dose of common sense and a bit of determination can really build a great life for themselves here.

Thanks.

Wells are not reliable... I would very much like to cash in on the reserved ponds...wouldn't i ? But safty net come first...learnt from experiance. Save me many time... smile.png

Wells. Submersible pumps in wells are reliable if you have a good well to start with. I'd just have 2 wells rather than lose on the ponds that are being used for water reserve. Just my opinion.

Question: is there a thread/topic where you go into detail about your operations? I would like to know more, but don't want to bother you if you've already posted it all up.

Thanks again.

DR

Thanks.

Wells. Submersible pumps in wells are reliable if you have a good well to start with. I'd just have 2 wells rather than lose on the ponds that are being used for water reserve. Just my opinion.

Question: is there a thread/topic where you go into detail about your operations? I would like to know more, but don't want to bother you if you've already posted it all up.

Thanks again.

DR

Well water still need to be brought up and rested in a reserve pond for aging or to...so call "let the water breath a bit"...something like opening a bottle of wine. People not into this trade as deep as people like me wouldn't know as much. A water reserve pond can feed many other ponds at one go, can't do that with a well or wells. The flow is too fast for the wells to cope or handle. I can place 5 x 5" longtail pipe pump and feed water to 5 ponds during an event of emergency, i can't stick 5 longtail pipe into well though.

How much does it cost to install a 4" submersible pump ? It's alright if i am doing a small pond but then again, who need an expensive electric submersible pond for just a small pond ? In term of business wise, it's not worth the margin. I have 6 sets of longtail pipe with Honda GX200 engine pumps, for the past 5 years it never let me down...still working since my last harvest and still working today pumping water from the stream preparing the ponds for new batch coming in next month on the 3rd...

My topic is "My catfish farm operations"

Related posts in "fish farming 201" by David48.

Edited by RedBullHorn

About how many rai to become close to fully self-sufficient for 2 people, an average man and woman?

Besides the meat and animals, so only veg?

Might give it a go in 30 years time when I'm in my 60's. Would still wanna pop down to Lotat for the chicken breasts and milk.

About how many rai to become close to fully self-sufficient for 2 people, an average man and woman?

Besides the meat and animals, so only veg?

Might give it a go in 30 years time when I'm in my 60's. Would still wanna pop down to Lotat for the chicken breasts and milk.

im 53, still fit , healthy,, and still work,

but take it from me i wish i had started our farm 20yrs ago,,

jake

Thailand and Thais are for play, leave everything serious to you far, far away. smile.png

I left the UK 16 years with F all and now have a big house fully paid for and 3 businesses which earn good money for minimu personal work.

With all the beaurocracy back home I could have set none of them up so all the scaremongers on here warning about work permits and the dangers of being ripped off are just regergitating stuff they have heard about but not tried anything themselves.

OK Pattaya, Puhket and Bangkok are full of bent cops and dodgy people etc after a quick buck but we are talking about Issan here which is a laid back easy going place where no one gives a stuff what I get up to as long as I don't go looking for trouble.

I think anyone with their heart in the right place, a good dose of common sense and a bit of determination can really build a great life for themselves here.

I actually agree.

+1.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've only been here 4,5 years and haven't tried my hand at being self-employed, I can see where you're coming from and agree with you.

In a developing economy, there can only be an upward trend for those who work-hard, take risks, endeavor and are down-to-earth.

Good luck to you. Thanks for sharing.

Although I've only been here 4,5 years and haven't tried my hand at being self-employed, I can see where you're coming from and agree with you.

In a developing economy, there can only be an upward trend for those who work-hard, take risks, endeavor and are down-to-earth.

Good luck to you. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone that thinks Thailand is only for play...well, they obviously have not been around much, but it is good to have people like that so they and those that believe them, stay away.......and often they are here for just one thing....something they could not get back home as it was either unobtainable because of their personal habits, or they could not afford it...

Edited by Showbags

• 1 year later...