PM points finger at political turmoil for sluggish economy

Lite Beer

PM points finger at political turmoil for sluggish economy

BANGKOK, 21 April 2014 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has indicated that the prolonged political standoff has undermined confidence in all sectors and it will worsen the economy.

The PM on Monday said she was concerned about the Thai economy after she learned that many key economic indicators in February 2014 had dropped, especially household spending, private investment and industrial production due to decreasing confidence. As for the export sector, it might not be able to make up for shrinking domestic demand while tourism started to send negative signs, Ms Yingluck said.

The prime minister added that she had assigned the Thailand Board of Investment to urgently grant incentives to investors and called on all sectors to help restore Thailand’s political stability for better investor confidence. Ms Yingluck said however that she believed there was still a chance for the Thai economy to expand this year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-21 footer_n.gif

Suthep has damaged the country tremendously in his all out war against Thaksin , especially the economy

things like democracy, the economy, lives, and national unity are right at the bottom of his priorities in his mad obsession with his power grab

Maybe she should point her finger at the reason for the political turmoil.

JF. This is what it is all about, these handful of posters arguing the toss about Suthep-elections Abhisit-thugs-fascists -democracy.

What in hell has any of this got to do with the governments atrocious governing. PTP self inflicted the probs themselves, NOT one of these pro posters could argue with that, BUT THEY DO. as they say-"it's all my eye and Betty Martin." BS

• Like 1

Let's not forget your government's extreme incompetence and corruption too. whistling.gif

Would any another government in LOS be corruption free...........?...................coffee1.gif

The next one I hope not, but will attack it's governance if it is-whoever governs, this is what posters should be doing --not trying to shore up a regime.

The economy was in a tail-spin when your brother's populist policy chickens came home to roost. Which in fact is one of the major factors in the political upheaval.

So in a way YL is right albeit she got it upside down.

The reasons for the economic slump are the same reasons for the political unrest.

• Like 1

Suthep has damaged the country tremendously in his all out war against Thaksin , especially the economy

things like democracy, the economy, lives, and national unity are right at the bottom of his priorities in his mad obsession with his power grab

Yes Yes we know you want a Dictatorship!!

• Like 2

Let's not forget your government's extreme incompetence and corruption too. whistling.gif

Would any another government in LOS be corruption free...........?...................coffee1.gif

Dont remember Abhisits being that corrupt - but you know best son!!

This woman really has no clue as to what she is doing. Even her advisors are clueless and incompetant. I hope that the time of the PTP will be over shortly, so that a party with more grasp of mind and willingness to govern this country can get it out of the bloody huge hole that this party has dug it into in such a short time. I am not anti-north or north eastern people and I am not a follower of the BKK elite but for I would just like the countries government and its policies get a good kick up the arse and less corruption seen on the tv and every day of life. Long live the King!

• Like 1

I think the PM is wrong. If the government was allowed to go on, stealing from the country in the term of massive loans after loans, it will cause the economy to collapse. She needs to get a grip on reality.

• Like 1

It seems that Suthep campaigning to "bring down the government," prevent elections, fight against legitimate election results in spite of his efforts to prevent them would be sufficient for any sane person to recognize the cause of economic hardship in Thailand, apart from global economic fallout.

The one that takes the cake in traumatizing Thailand was Suthep's campaigning and pounding the table for an "appointed committee of select insider" to run the government while they, the 185 insiders determine what reform should be all about. Just pick up a back copy of this Thai newspaper and see any front page for the last six months and you can quickly determine the reason for the Thai economic breakdown.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has admitted that the ill-advised (vote buying) populist policies, corruption, incompetence and lies perpetrated by the Thaksin-run Governments have undermined confidence in all sectors and will continue to worsen the economy.

• Like 1

Maybe she should point her finger at the reason for the political turmoil.

All she has to do is point straight forward whilst looking in a full sized mirror for the answer. Even she is capable of doing that!!!

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has admitted that the ill-advised (vote buying) populist policies, corruption, incompetence and lies perpetrated by the Thaksin-run Governments have undermined confidence in all sectors and will continue to worsen the economy.

Don't you ever get tired of the oh so clever "False Headlines" post?......................................... I know I do.

Don't you ever get tired of the oh so clever "False Headlines" post?......................................... I know I do.

Not really when it corrects an otherwise misleading or incorrect headline.

I'm personally more tired of all the lies and corruption and incompetence from the Thaksin side of things.

• Like 1

Whoever said '' hindsight is 20/20 '' never met the caretaker PM nor her fellow incompitents. Big brother is the same way in his assisment of the present situation, although it has been played out on his watch before (just a much smaller scale) '' Learn by your mistakes '' also seem foreign to the Shin household, eventually they will find something they are good at, doubtfull if it will meet the legality test of any country, but what the hell, they seem bent on self desruction so let them blather.

Edited by slapout