Fatal Bangkok crash: Teenager sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for reckless driving

webfact

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from the wife's facebook and her coven's topic of shrill chatter coming in from the garden about this topic, I don't think the Thai people are going to let this nonsense happen for much longer....

Was about time. wasn't it? I hope they'll go after this judge and al other bastards, freeze their assets and hang em' high.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure whats happened here, i have been reading repeatedly on TVF for the past few weeks about how the courts need to be respected and their virtuosity in Thailand.

And people have been denying the existence of the amart or upper crust untouchables.

Yes, they exist. Another prominent example would be wealthy senior PTP cabinet member Chalerm, whose son Wanchalerm got away with shooting a policeman in cold blood several years ago. Why do the Red shirts tolerate that?

I think you are missing the point being made. Lots of wealthy/connected people of all political stripes, police, military get off very lightly from serious charges. The point was nothing to do with political affiliation, it was asserting that the judges/courts are beyond influence or reproach which has been repeatedly punched out on here in recent weeks, when they are clearly not up above influence or dare i say bias and corruptibility.

Unless the law in Thailand distinctly differentiates between punishments that are given to people with money/connections, and those without, then the judges are clearly making decisions based on 'other' influencing factors.

You mean monetary factor first right?

This is one of the reasons there is so much sarcasm on here towards Thais and Thailand.I think I am almost immune to it now,but then again tomorrow is another day with more surprises.Disgusting.

Looks like the last bit of credibility they had is down the drain now.

Oh the irony; Red Bull rich kid kills a cop drunk driving and gets off. Thai cops teen daughter kills a van full of people, and gets a slap on the wrist. Thailand, the hub of justice..............

And what happened to that teenage boy that cut the girl in half with daddy's Porche?

Oh the irony; Red Bull rich kid kills a cop drunk driving and gets off. Thai cops teen daughter kills a van full of people, and gets a slap on the wrist. Thailand, the hub of justice..............

And what happened to that teenage boy that cut the girl in half with daddy's Porche?

I think the Girl was from Laos so possibly the judge ordered the police to throw remains back over the border and then he put on a round of beers at his local.

That person must have been really high up somewhere, as it was hushed up even more than the others.

Given that the laws are written in this country by those who are most likely want a get out of jail free card for them and their families should something go awry, i cant help but feel there must be some clauses/loopholes in the law which allow for the judges to exercise some type of wriggle room in these cases of high profile persons, whilst not flagrantly ignoring the law should God forbid someone have the audacity to question them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure whats happened here, i have been reading repeatedly on TVF for the past few weeks about how the courts need to be respected and their virtuosity in Thailand.

And people have been denying the existence of the amart or upper crust untouchables.

Yes, they exist. Another prominent example would be wealthy senior PTP cabinet member Chalerm, whose son Wanchalerm got away with shooting a policeman in cold blood several years ago. Why do the Red shirts tolerate that?

If you think Chalerm is amaart, you don't understand class structures.

The

He is a rich and powerful man whose son got away with murder. If you want to split hairs, go ahead.

I think you are missing the point being made. Lots of wealthy/connected people of all political stripes, police, military get off very lightly from serious charges. The point was nothing to do with political affiliation, it was asserting that the judges/courts are beyond influence or reproach which has been repeatedly punched out on here in recent weeks, when they are clearly not up above influence or dare i say bias and corruptibility.

Unless the law in Thailand distinctly differentiates between punishments that are given to people with money/connections, and those without, then the judges are clearly making decisions based on 'other' influencing factors.

You were having a dig at people who have recently been saying that the decisions of the courts need to be respected and you're saying you weren't referring to the current anti-government group? OK whistling.gif

Anyway, I am not missing the point you say you were trying to make. I am pointing out that there are rich and influential people on both sides of the political divide, and they often literally get away with murder. Has nothing to do with whether they are "amart" or "phrai" or any labels. It has to do with money, not social class.

This is one of the reasons there is so much sarcasm on here towards Thais and Thailand.I think I am almost immune to it now,but then again tomorrow is another day with more surprises.Disgusting.

Many valid points but such sentences would not occur without the other parties (deceased families) accepting money in lieu of losing their loved ones. Words like "takes two

to tango" and "double edged sword" come to mind. Even many false convictions in developed countries where men are cleared by dna evidence after many years in prison.

Hopefully the girl will have learned valuable lifelong lessons othar than money can do anything?

The Bangkok Post yesterday had an explanation for why she is continuing to appeal the verdict; normal practice, delay and then delay some more since time is your friend when being sued

"The victims' families have filed lawsuits seeking 120 million baht in compensation, but the Civil Court has temporarily suspended the case pending a final criminal ruling"

Laura Bush, the wife of George W. Bush, ran a stop sign as a teenager in Texas and killed the driver of another car, who apparently had previously been her boyfriend. It's not known whether LB was drunk at the time since she was never tested for alcohol and, indeed, was never charged at all in the accident. Pretty much the same story as here.

Many valid points but such sentences would not occur without the other parties (deceased families) accepting money in lieu of losing their loved ones. Words like "takes two

to tango" and "double edged sword" come to mind. Even many false convictions in developed countries where men are cleared by dna evidence after many years in prison.

Hopefully the girl will have learned valuable lifelong lessons othar than money can do anything?

I don't known if any money has already been paid to the relatives of the deceased. What I believe is happening is that the relatives are taking the girl to court, civil/criminal I don't know, with the intention of suing the family for a large sum of money, and this is one of the reasons that the girl continues to appeal her sentence, as until her conviction is finalised the relatives case cannot proceed, in other words this is a delaying tactic.

Lets hope the girl has learned a lesson, though not likely.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

nine lives were lost and many more affected , The girl who caused all this will have to live with that for the rest of her life. A tragedy all around.

What would be the justice of destroying the young girls life also by sending her to jail?

I have a 18 year old daughter, she is a good girl, but occasionally talks on her cellphone while driving,

I hate to tell you,

but your kids do also. and dare speculate that you your selfs do also.

I wonder what your position in this would be if it was your daughter or if it was you.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Don't worry, she will be given a royal pardon on HM King's birthday 5th December this year. Another 500 bath "under the table" to the guy at the transportation office and she is back on the road again. Amazing Thailand coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You were having a dig at people who have recently been saying that the decisions of the courts need to be respected and you're saying you weren't referring to the current anti-government group? OK whistling.gif

Anyway, I am not missing the point you say you were trying to make. I am pointing out that there are rich and influential people on both sides of the political divide, and they often literally get away with murder. Has nothing to do with whether they are "amart" or "phrai" or any labels. It has to do with money, not social class.

Agree which is why i say in my post " Lots of wealthy/connected people of all political stripes, police, military get off very lightly from serious charges."

10 pages of cursing this girl and not a single comment about the van driver who cut her off while driving a van full of kids without seatbelts and with nowhere near a legal amount of tyre tread.

The van driver wouldn't have lost control if the van had sufficient tyre tread, they wouldn't have been thrown out of the van to die if they were wearing seatbelts and she wouldn't have hit the van if it didn't cut into her lane in front her.

vs

She wouldn't have hit the van if she hadn't been speeding.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have some liability here, but the only reason she is being held entirely liable is because her family can afford to pay compensation. There's no point blaming a van driver who can't pay out.

• Like 2

Laura Bush, the wife of George W. Bush, ran a stop sign as a teenager in Texas and killed the driver of another car, who apparently had previously been her boyfriend. It's not known whether LB was drunk at the time since she was never tested for alcohol and, indeed, was never charged at all in the accident. Pretty much the same story as here.

17 years ago a 20 year old boy took his truck around a hair-pin turn in the road a over twice the speed limit. He didn't make the turn and ended up crashing. End result: he walked away with out a scratch and my only daughter dies.

The kid got a ticket and had to pay a fine of $400 for reckless driving. I took him to civil court and he pleaded bankruptcy.

Twisted justice isn't just for the rich, although they get their disproportional share.

Now he's a 37 year old man with children of his own. Maybe their is a psychological justice that I'm not aware of. I wonder if he'll very let his daughter drive with a teenage boy at the wheel?

17 years ago a 20 year old boy took his truck around a hair-pin turn in the road a over twice the speed limit. He didn't make the turn and ended up crashing. End result: he walked away with out a scratch and my only daughter dies.

The kid got a ticket and had to pay a fine of $400 for reckless driving. I took him to civil court and he pleaded bankruptcy.

Twisted justice isn't just for the rich, although they get their disproportional share.

Now he's a 37 year old man with children of his own. Maybe their is a psychological justice that I'm not aware of. I wonder if he'll very let his daughter drive with a teenage boy at the wheel?

If you had got a judgment against, even if you were not able to collect on it because he had no assets at the time, the judgment is normally good for twenty years. "Revenge is a plate best served cold." In any case sorry to hear that your family was similarly victimized.

If you had got a judgment against, even if you were not able to collect on it because he had no assets at the time, the judgment is normally good for twenty years. "Revenge is a plate best served cold." In any case sorry to hear that your family was similarly victimized.

I don't think I'll ever 'get over it', but over time I've gained a certain level of acceptance...and even forgiveness. I've learned that if I hold on to it too tightly, the only one that gets burned is myself. Some things you just need to let go of in order to get on with your own life. But it is a life-changing event. And regarding forcing the kid into bankruptcy? I didn't against my attorney's recommendation. I didn't see how making his life difficult was going to serve any purpose. Would it bring my daughter back? No. So I let that go too. I'm not a revengeful person. Don't need that particular karma hanging over my head.

Edited by connda

I don't think I'll ever 'get over it', but over time I've gained a certain level of acceptance...and even forgiveness. I've learned that if I hold on to it too tightly, the only one that gets burned is myself. Some things you just need to let go of in order to get on with your own life. But it is a life-changing event. And regarding forcing the kid into bankruptcy? I didn't against my attorney's recommendation. I didn't see how making his life difficult was going to serve any purpose. Would it bring my daughter back? No. So I let that go too. I'm not a revengeful person. Don't need that particular karma hanging over my head.

I don't think you have to worry about Karma. Karma is in a cosmic trance. It's spaced out.

Ever notice any of the alleged evil psychopaths in Thailand, or elsewhere in the world for that matter, meeting head-on with Karma? No - very unlikely.

Why? Karma is wishful revenge, and it's not going to do your job of setting things right as you see them.

Life isn't fair unfortunately; best get used to it....

You can drive a car at 18 and ride a motorcycle at 15 (engine size doesn't matter, my neighbour's 16 year old has a 650) in Thailand with a pretty easy test maybe time to toughen it

But seriously, she probably was hacked off about the restriction of not being able to drive until age 25. Now that's a real killer!

Hahaha.funny. As if she'll take any notice of that ruling.

Edited by johninbkk71

@jingjoke, on 25 Apr 2014 - 14:17, said:

I don't think you have to worry about Karma. Karma is in a cosmic trance. It's spaced out.
Ever notice any of the alleged evil psychopaths in Thailand, or elsewhere in the world for that matter, meeting head-on with Karma? No - very unlikely.
Why? Karma is wishful revenge, and it's not going to do your job of setting things right as you see them.
Life isn't fair unfortunately; best get used to it...

I took the word 'fair' out of my personal dictionary long ago.

Edited by connda