Retirement Extension 90 Day Reporting ?

Gents,

I am trying to get to the bottom of some confusion regarding Retirement Extension 90 day reporting, my problem is as follows.

I have a friend that lost his Retirement extension a while back because he didn't report inside of the permissible window to do so, the reason he didn't report was that he had left the country and returned inside of the 90 days and assumed that would be the same as reporting.

I also have some friends here that say they never report on or about the due date if they have left and returned during the 90 days. It has been suggested that by writing your proper address on the arrival card that is the same as reporting where you live ???

I now find myself in this same situation, I am due to report on the 23rd April (tomorrow), but I left and returned on 10th March and my entry stamp says I am able to stay until the 9th March 2015 ???

I am assuming that I am going to have to head into immigration and report, what say the experts ???

Bam Bam

Edited by Pungdo

This I think you will find is not what happened. I would bet that he left without buying a re-entry permit, and this is the reason he lost his extended permission to stay.

The 90 day report is just reporting your address to the authorities each time you stay in the country more than 90 days. If you leave before 90 days are up, you have not stayed 90 consecutive days, and you have no obligation to do any report. When you enter the country again the clock starts at day 1, the day of your entry, and if you leave after 89 days, you do not need to do a 90 day report that time either.

However if you are on an extension of permission to stay you no longer have a current visa, that is, a valid permission to enter the country. Thus if you don't buy a re-entry permit, which gives you permission to enter the country and keeps your extension of permission to stay valid, you are admitted on a 30 day permission to stay visa waiver, and your year extension is cancelled.

In your situation, you need to do a 90 day report 90 days after 10th of March.

You must have either bought a re-entry permit, or you must be on a still valid O-A visa, to have been given a one year permission to stay on your return on the 10th March.

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

He did indeed have a re-entry permit, he leaves the country around every 2 months for a few days and then returns, he assumed that he could go in 90 days after returning to report, but when he did, they gave him a dressing down and cancelled his extension, he has been living here a very long time now and that was a first for him.

It could well have been just an immigration officer that got out of bed on the wrong side that day, but who knows.

So I am safe to lob into immigration on or around the 9th June ??

Bam Bam

Edited by Pungdo

This is baffling because the 90-day address report is completely unconnected with the permission to stay period and does not affect it in any way, whether you do the report or not.

Your friend did nothing wrong at all, in any case, even in the restricted matter of the 90-day address report. You simply have no obligation to do one at any time except when you have spent 90 consecutive days in the country without leaving.

Even if you fail to make the address report completely, all that happens is that you get fined 2000B, for the crime of not telling the authorities your address within the required period.

Not doing so has no effect at all on your permission to stay: they are not connected at all, and are two separate issues. Indeed the form you get after doing your 90-day report has the words "This is not an extension of stay" written in big letters on it, simply because so many people seem to think it is keeping their permission to stay alive, which it isn't. It's nothing to do with your extension.

There are people who haven't done address reports for years on end and all that happens to them is the routine 2000B fine. So I just don't get it.

In your case, whether you are on an extension with a re-entry permit, or a current multi-entry O-A visa, you have to do your report around the 10th of June.

You can do it up to two weeks before or one week after, without incurring a fine, but you have to do it.

• Like 1

Have you actually seen this canceled retirement extension of stay stamp? It has nothing to do with 90 day reporting and if you do not remain more than 90 days you do not need to submit a TM.47 report - the new 90 day counts from day of return. Perhaps he had a return date of less than 90 days but reported after it expired? You obviously do not have a retirement extension of stay from what you reported as a one year stamp on entry - that would only happen if you had a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa and made a new entry during the one year it is valid for travel.

Your 90 day report is due 90 days from your March 10 entry.

Just to clarify, the ninety-day report can be made 15 days early or 5 days late, right? If you go in six days late, you can be fined 2,000 baht if my understanding is correct. Perhaps ubonjoe could confirm this.

Just to clarify, the ninety-day report can be made 15 days early or 5 days late, right? If you go in six days late, you can be fined 2,000 baht if my understanding is correct. Perhaps ubonjoe could confirm this.

From the immigration website - "The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires."

This is baffling because the 90-day address report is completely unconnected with the permission to stay period and does not affect it in any way, whether you do the report or not.

Your friend did nothing wrong at all, in any case, even in the restricted matter of the 90-day address report. You simply have no obligation to do one at any time except when you have spent 90 consecutive days in the country without leaving.

Even if you fail to make the address report completely, all that happens is that you get fined 2000B, for the crime of not telling the authorities your address within the required period.

Not doing so has no effect at all on your permission to stay: they are not connected at all, and are two separate issues. Indeed the form you get after doing your 90-day report has the words "This is not an extension of stay" written in big letters on it, simply because so many people seem to think it is keeping their permission to stay alive, which it isn't. It's nothing to do with your extension.

There are people who haven't done address reports for years on end and all that happens to them is the routine 2000B fine. So I just don't get it.

In your case, whether you are on an extension with a re-entry permit, or a current multi-entry O-A visa, you have to do your report around the 10th of June.

You can do it up to two weeks before or one week after, without incurring a fine, but you have to do it.

"This I think you will find is not what happened. I would bet that he left without buying a re-entry permit, and this is the reason he lost his extended permission to stay."

I agree with Partington. He may not have had a valid re-entry permit or he had a single that he had already used. If the guy goes out of the country every two months or so, it sounds more like he's doing a 90 day border run, which he wouldn't need to do if he actually had an extension.

And also:

I left and returned on 10th March and my entry stamp says I am able to stay until the 9th March 2015 ???

If this is accurate, the O/P doesn't have a retirement extension, but possibly an O-A visa issued by an embassy or consulate. The renewal date on an annual retirement extension of stay is not changed each time the holder re-enters the country.

Some people are very eager to claim that immigrations has done this or that inappropriately, when the problem is that the person with the visa or the extension of stay holder has his terms and facts confused and refuses to accept that it is they who are at fault.

Edited by Suradit69

[

I left and returned on 10th March and my entry stamp says I am able to stay until the 9th March 2015 ???

If this is accurate, the O/P doesn't have a retirement extension, but possibly an O-A visa issued by an embassy or consulate. The renewal date on an annual retirement extension of stay is not changed each time the holder re-enters the country.

Some people are very eager to claim that immigrations has done this or that inappropriately, when the problem is that the person with the visa or the extension of stay holder has his terms and facts confused and refuses to accept that it is they who are at fault.

Yes that's quite right, the OP can't be on an extension, I missed that.

Gents,

I am here on a Retirement extension and I did my annual renewal on the 12th Feb, because it ran out while I was away in March, which brings up another question.

Forget for a moment that I left the country. I did my last 90 reporting on 24th Jan, I then had to renew my extension on or before the 9th March.

When I renewed it, why wouldn't my next date to report be 90 days from that, ie somewhere around the end of May, surely when I renewed the extension, it was the equivalent of reporting where I live. I thought that was what all this 90 day reporting rubbish is all about ???

While I was in there at the end of Feb, I also got a re-entry permit because I suffered the loss of time here a couple of years ago when I was on a Non-O, because I thought the re-entry permits only applied to the Retirement extension, but found out the hard way they also applied to the Non-O and lost 2 1/2 months off my last 90 days. That was a real hastle as my wife was due to have a baby in that time and I had to make a mad dash home before the baby was born, to get a new Non-O.

It was after that I went and got the Retirement extension, plus the fact I'd filled a 10 year passport in 5 years doing border runs.

Bam Bam

Only the first extension of stay counts as a 90 day report.

You need to a report 90 days from when your reported on January 24th. I assume you still have the slip in your passport.

Your report I believe is due today. You have 7 days from today (including today) to do your report which would be the 29th.

You need to a report 90 days from when your reported on January 24th. I assume you still have the slip in your passport.

Your report I believe is due today. You have 7 days from today (including today) to do your report which would be the 29th.

So I definitely have to go in now then and not 90 days from when I came back from Cambodia ???

And yes I still have the slip in the back of my passport.

Edited by Pungdo

So I definitely have to go in now then and not 90 days from when I came back from Cambodia ???

And yes I still have the slip in the back of my passport.

I was unable to discern from you posts that you had left and returned after you last 90 day report was done. I thought that info was past tense.

If you did leave and return then it will be due 90 days from the date you entered the country including that date.

• 1 month later...

Maybe a stupid question .... if you report, say, 15 days early is your next report date 90 days after THAT date i.e. 75 days after the previous report date ?

I have never reported that early, but I have in the past lost 2 or 3 days by going in early, maybe just a case of too busy or too lazy to change the date stamp, but normally it will be 90 days from the date you were due to report.

Bam Bam

Maybe a stupid question .... if you report, say, 15 days early is your next report date 90 days after THAT date i.e. 75 days after the previous report date ?

Unlike the extension of stay which starts on the same date when ever you report the 90 day report starts on the day you report.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Why would the first extension of stay count as a 90 day report and not subsequent extensions of stay? What is the difference?

This makes no sense to me. (As do many things with Thai Immigration but lets start with this one).

I see now on the Immigration website where it says the first application for extension qualifies for the 90 day report but I still fail to see why subsequent ones would not?

Edited by djhotsox

You are right. It is technically incorrect, ie in violation of the Immigration Act, that immigration counts the first extension of stay as the first notification of staying in the Kingdom longer than 90 days, but I don't think we should complain about this "dereliction of duty", as it does us no harm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app