A truly unbelievably Thai story!

ppmacready

It's not unbelievable at all to anyone who thinks that Thais are simply ordinary people with all the quirks and fallibilities that the rest of us have.

Agreed. I've always said that, in my experience, Thais are just like real people.

Good story.

In my experience it depends where you find the taxi driver (or the other way around). If you take a taxi from lower Sukhumvit then more often than not you are going to get a driver who is trolling for the biggest fare they can get because they know that a tourist will pay an extortionate fare, whereas if you take a taxi from outside of the tourist areas then you will almost definitely get a normal driver who will use the meter without question.

Here's why; last week I went to Dusit Zoo with my son, we left at the gate that a regular taxi dropped us off at in the morning but there was only 2 taxis waiting, so I go to the first in the queue (which had his light on) and said in Thai that I wanted to go to Panthip Plaza (which I know is probably a 50 baht fare) he says "200 baht", I say (in Thai) "is your meter broken?" and he says "200 baht", so I say "of course not" and I say his cab number out loud as if I am going to call 1584 on him and I go to the second taxi in the queue. Immediately behind me is an older expat with a young Thai lady, he says to the taxi driver in English "Central Word", the taxi driver says "300 baht", the expat says "let's go".

As long as there are naive people who pay whatever the drivers want and there are no fear of repercussions to the drivers for refusing fares then there are always going to be a lot of taxis in tourist areas that refuse to take passengers on a regular fare, this is why a lot of foreigners think that ALL taxi drivers are crooks, they are not and the majority of them are hard working and honest, you just haven't been outside of the areas where the crook mafia taxi drivers work.

Edited by KunMatt

Why "unbelievably" in the title"

One day I forgot 1000 € in an envelope moving from one bungalow to another, the owner, an old gentleman brought it back to me, you can count, he told me.

Never did I thought one second "unbelievable" because he was a Thai man, for although I would have done it myself it does not means I am superior or better than most Thai people.

In my experience it depends where you find the taxi driver (or the other way around). If you take a taxi from lower Sukhumvit then more often than not you are going to get a driver who is trolling for the biggest fare they can get because they know that a tourist will pay an extortionate fare, whereas if you take a taxi from outside of the tourist areas then you will almost definitely get a normal driver who will use the meter without question.

Here's why; last week I went to Dusit Zoo with my son, we left at the gate that a regular taxi dropped us off at in the morning but there was only 2 taxis waiting, so I go to the first in the queue (which had his light on) and said in Thai that I wanted to go to Panthip Plaza (which I know is probably a 50 baht fare) he says "200 baht", I say (in Thai) "is your meter broken?" and he says "200 baht", so I say "of course not" and I say his cab number out loud as if I am going to call 1584 on him and I go to the second taxi in the queue. Immediately behind me is an older expat with a young Thai lady, he says to the taxi driver in English "Central Word", the taxi driver says "300 baht", the expat says "let's go".

As long as there are naive people who pay whatever the drivers want and there are no fear of repercussions to the drivers for refusing fares then there are always going to be a lot of taxis in tourist areas that refuse to take passengers on a regular fare, this is why a lot of foreigners think that ALL taxi drivers are crooks, they are not and the majority of them are hard working and honest, you just haven't been outside of the areas where the crook mafia taxi drivers work.

Well while it is true that charging without meter is unfair but the fact of the matter is you can reject them and that you don't have to take their cab at all. That older man paid 300 cos he could well afford it. It's also true that during periods like songkran you pay the fare without meter. I did this a number of times. Once in a tuk tuk from silom to ratchada 200 bht i think. I was with thai friends too didn't make a difference.

Well while it is true that charging without meter is unfair but the fact of the matter is you can reject them and that you don't have to take their cab at all. That older man paid 300 cos he could well afford it. It's also true that during periods like songkran you pay the fare without meter. I did this a number of times. Once in a tuk tuk from silom to ratchada 200 bht i think. I was with thai friends too didn't make a difference.

No. It is against the law for a taxi to refuse a passenger in Thailand and not use the meter, that is why there is a number to call to report a taxi driver that does this so multiple infractions would see him suspended.

Being able to afford paying multiple times the real price is irrelevant, they are metered taxis and should use the meter. Instead they charge tourist an extortionate fare which is why this is much more common in tourist areas as I explained.