Bid to remove anti-lese majeste 'trash' will likely backfire

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

reform is needed in many areas and this is top of the list - the Queen in England is much loved and admired and does not need this sort of antiquated censorship

Even many republicans think she does a good job it's just how she got it that they don't like.

It does have an advantage over having a president in that it's non political. The strength of the monarchy in any country is down to the current monarch which is why there's no need to protect the UK queen from criticism and in fact attempts to do so would do more harm than good as I believe is the case in Thailand.

The lese majeste and the views of this group seem as if they could be lese majeste in themselves if HM speech in 2005 is taken into account. there is even a book which is unofficially banned due to it's content but an official ban isn't possible due to it having the blessing of the king. i wonder if this group or any of those that support the LM laws have ever been polite enough to ask the king for his opinion?

I've never approved of the constant use of the king for political ends and this does seem to have been something the democrats are guilty of. I think the LM should be dropped as with a popular king this would be the best time.

very good post and EXACTLY what it is - the quicker they drop this draconian law the better and it will not harm HM one iota as he is loved despite the LM law not because of it

Zieg Heil!

my thoughts exactly when i read that quote on people being trash.

Shows what certain levels of Thai society think about others.

Didn't Plod say something similar about protesters in Chiang Mai last year ?

Yes, Plod called environmental activists opposing the government's conduct under the "flood-prvention" budget "rubbish".

They set the tone - now the orchestra is growing and we all have to listen to the noise coming out from the darkest corners.

• Like 1

it just underlines how backward and ridiculous Thais are ,stuck in another era ,pitiful fools for all to see

Speaking of pitiful fools for all to see

You choose to live here even though you don't like the culture.

What holds you the ease of access to women. I would say drugs but they are probably just as easy where you come from.

LM law is NOT part of the Thai culture get that part right. A law is one of many, individually a law is not a cultural ingredient.

It is indeed a backward step to enforce LM in the modern world, it is simply incorrect,has even been said as much by the highest in the land who in fact encouraged the opposite. See 2005 birthday HRM speech....

Interestingly from 2006 on it has ballooned. From 1990 to 2005, the Thai court system only saw four or five lèse majesté cases a year. From January 2006 to May 2011, however, more than 400 cases came to trial, an estimated 1,500 % increase. For example, there were 478 cases in 2010 alone.

Not exactly a step forwards or listening by Thailand methinks

Read my previous post where I admitted it was Draconian. I did not say remove it and leave the King wide open to any rumor or form of disrespect that is acceptable in England. Respect for the monarch is indeed a part of the Thai culture. In England just having a Queen or King is part of the culture. Not respecting them is not.

@moonao

You

Ummm, sorry to burst your bubble but ThaiPBS reporters think otherwise.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mongkutwattana-director-says-armed-forces-pledged-provide-security-protection

Me:

Yes, but that does not mean he is linked to suthep's pdrc. What this guy is promoting has nothing to do with the pdrc. I don't like suthep or his pdrc but I can see he is nothing to do with this fanatic.

Alrightly then... the anti-government movement this doc is a part of is not linked to Sutheps PDRC... whatever you say, mate. rolleyes.gif

Why do I get the impression you would oppose any group that insists on the PTP red shirts to pay the rice farmers what they are owed.passifier.gif

it just underlines how backward and ridiculous Thais are ,stuck in another era ,pitiful fools for all to see

What holds you the ease of access to women. I would say drugs but they are probably just as easy where you come from.

LM law is NOT part of the Thai culture get that part right. A law is one of many, individually a law is not a cultural ingredient.

It is indeed a backward step to enforce LM in the modern world, it is simply incorrect,has even been said as much by the highest in the land who in fact encouraged the opposite. See 2005 birthday HRM speech....

Interestingly from 2006 on it has ballooned. From 1990 to 2005, the Thai court system only saw four or five lèse majesté cases a year. From January 2006 to May 2011, however, more than 400 cases came to trial, an estimated 1,500 % increase. For example, there were 478 cases in 2010 alone.

Read my previous post where I admitted it was Draconian. I did not say remove it and leave the King wide open to any rumor or form of disrespect that is acceptable in England. Respect for the monarch is indeed a part of the Thai culture. In England just having a Queen or King is part of the culture. Not respecting them is not.

Many do, many don't, many are simply ambivalent.......British culture is the freedom to choose, without fear.

[quote name="bulekee" post="7724165" timestamp="1398217710

Where is Oliver Cromwell when you need him?

Cromwell was a regicide and butchered Catholics in Eire. Personally speaking I hope he's screaming in the worst pits of hell.

Cromwell was a round head, the local version had a square head.

The Army's role in Thailand is to protect the King, and by inference the country. So Lese majeste is simply one of their prime motives. To protect the King against slander and libel. It does however deprive them (the royal family) of feedback from their actions.

@moonao

You

Ummm, sorry to burst your bubble but ThaiPBS reporters think otherwise.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mongkutwattana-director-says-armed-forces-pledged-provide-security-protection

Me:

Yes, but that does not mean he is linked to suthep's pdrc. What this guy is promoting has nothing to do with the pdrc. I don't like suthep or his pdrc but I can see he is nothing to do with this fanatic.

Alrightly then... the anti-government movement this doc is a part of is not linked to Sutheps PDRC... whatever you say, mate. rolleyes.gif

Why do I get the impression you would oppose any group that insists on the PTP red shirts to pay the rice farmers what they are owed.passifier.gif

Probably because your comprehension skills need improvement

Cant really debate or discuss this with you much as id love to, there are also mirrored draconian forum laws that prohibit a really sensible breakdown and discussion of respect and position etc.

If you put "Thammasat University Massacre" into google images search you can see what these sort of views can ultimately lead to. Be warned though they are truly horrific and serve to remind us on what sort of powder keg Thailand is ultimately sitting on.

This Retired General/ Doctor/ Lese Majeste Zealot probably reckons that they could get away with that again.

What he hasn't realised is that if they do he could well end up being chased down a Bangkok boulevard by a bunch of blokes from Isaan waving machetes. Which would be a bit of a shame wouldn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

reform is needed in many areas and this is top of the list - the Queen in England is much loved and admired and does not need this sort of antiquated censorship

Even many republicans think she does a good job it's just how she got it that they don't like.

It does have an advantage over having a president in that it's non political. The strength of the monarchy in any country is down to the current monarch which is why there's no need to protect the UK queen from criticism and in fact attempts to do so would do more harm than good as I believe is the case in Thailand.

The lese majeste and the views of this group seem as if they could be lese majeste in themselves if HM speech in 2005 is taken into account. there is even a book which is unofficially banned due to it's content but an official ban isn't possible due to it having the blessing of the king. i wonder if this group or any of those that support the LM laws have ever been polite enough to ask the king for his opinion?

I've never approved of the constant use of the king for political ends and this does seem to have been something the democrats are guilty of. I think the LM should be dropped as with a popular king this would be the best time.

It is a crazy law where people are being punished for apparently sleighting something that is beyond being slighted and needs apparently no protection, and has asked not to be protected in this manner.

If you put "Thammasat University Massacre" into google images search you can see what these sort of views can ultimately lead to. Be warned though they are truly horrific and serve to remind us on what sort of powder keg Thailand is ultimately sitting on.

This Retired General/ Doctor/ Lese Majeste Zealot probably reckons that they could get away with that again.

What he hasn't realised is that if they do he could well end up being chased down a Bangkok boulevard by a bunch of blokes from Isaan waving machetes. Which would be a bit of a shame wouldn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As.long as all he ends up with is a spanked back side , that would be enough. He's a maniac. Not much more to say than that.