Top Gear producer admits Jeremy Clarkson's 'slope' remark WAS joke about Asian man

webfact

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what? Thais don't need or listen to 'farang' rules or opinions...... <deleted>off those who complain. Western entertainment is not your draw. We don't have soaps which people copy, with ghosts and goolies, and other ancient &lt;deleted&gt;...... get a life and accept sanook sanook once in a while........ a passive joke is a passive joke.... ........ if you don't like it... don't aim to become a 1st world &lt;deleted&gt; ry.

Making a mountain out of a molehill, is what comes to mind.

His 'slope' remark is one of his more tame remarks. Not sure what all the fuss is about. And who the #@%*& is Somi Guha. Never heard of him (her?).

The funny thing is even if silly little "lady" wins the case which is highly unlikely, the BBC and Top Gear have got more publicity/marketing for the show than they would have got for the £ 1.0 million she is trying to get out of them, further if she does get the money will she give it to person to which the remark was directed at, will she donate to a charity ?......one suspects she is money grubbing failed actress

At the beginning of the show people are warned that some people may find things offensive, which I think puts the BBC clear from a legal perspective

So what? Thais don't need or listen to 'farang' rules or opinions...... <deleted>off those who complain. Western entertainment is not your draw. We don't have soaps which people copy, with ghosts and goolies, and other ancient <deleted>...... get a life and accept sanook sanook once in a while........ a passive joke is a passive joke.... ........ if you don't like it... don't aim to become a 1st world <deleted> ry.

If I had known that word while I wa building this place in Chiang Mai I probably would have used it more than once when I came upon the construction nightmares I had to either try to rectify or ignore and move on as could not be changed / corrected ..... so he said something rude because of a bridge badly constructed ... @!!! Pluuuease !! Patience is a virtue but her it is a science ....

Slope - dink - gook. All from the same era. All insults.

As is "farang."

What goes around, comes around.

Dear Lord - it's Groundhog Day.

How about people should grow up instead of blowing up things for the sake of creating an argument.

Thais, gays and Jews seem to be very experienced at that.coffee1.gif

Edited by JesseFrank

Slope - dink - gook. All from the same era. All insults.

As is "farang."

What goes around, comes around.

Dear Lord - it's Groundhog Day.

How about people should grow up instead of blowing up things for the sake of creating an argument.

Thais, gays and Jews seem to be very experienced at that.coffee1.gif

If you want a forum where you approve of what people say best to start your own.

They knew it was a racist term when they used it. Thus Richard Hammond's attempt to explain that the bridge went from right to left. What I find more interesting is the reaction of a lot of people on here.Example" I've never heard of the term before so therefore it is not racist."

I think a lot of you are trying to convince yourselves more." I live in Thailand therefore I am not racist." You know in your hearts though you truly are.

They knew it was a racist term when they used it. Thus Richard Hammond's attempt to explain that the bridge went from right to left. What I find more interesting is the reaction of a lot of people on here.Example" I've never heard of the term before so therefore it is not racist."

I think a lot of you are trying to convince yourselves more." I live in Thailand therefore I am not racist." You know in your hearts though you truly are.

Clarkson, certainly gives us a good lesson in, 'How to Insult and Abuse Your Hosts in One Easy Step.'

What a lot of rubbish over nothing, great he has made a lot of money, good luck to him, wish I had made more. He is entertaining, a lot more than some of the American rubbish we get, and he used a word that means just about nothing to most people other than yes it slopes. I bet few Thais even watch the program and are certainly not affended by the word. I asked a few locals and they had not got a clue to what I was talking about. There are a number of Thai words that when translated into English are rude to Farangs but you don't see them jumping up and down.

Desperate old man looking for a bit more publicity...

Jeremy Clerkson is a desperate old man? Realy? The Jeremy Clerkson in his mid 50's, worth millions, fronts the most exported TV show in the world of all time, been all over the world with his mates getting paid silly money to have a laugh and do whatever he wants... You mean that guy, right? Yeh. Desperate. Personaly I pity the fool. Poor bloke.

Yes that desperate old man. Uses carefully contrived 'controversial' remarks that appeal to those who think that insulting others is a replacement for humour.

So if any of my friends refer to me as a 'Sweaty' ( Sweaty Sock -- Jock ) I should get upset and sue them. !!!!

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

"Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing. "

... which will come as a big surprise to mathematicians, engineers, scientists, ...

The bigoted old moron who's the subject of this thread (and the vast majority of the people on the planet) are not in the US and I sincerely doubt you're qualified to speak on behalf of the 320 million who are.

"I never heard that term being used by anyone."

You do at least share Jeremy's perspective on the world and beyond:

20narc-isists%252520universe_thumb%25255

Edited by Suradit69

So you are a foreigner in someone elses country and you decide to call a local by a derogatory term ... on camera to boot , knowing it will be broadcast world wide - very classy....

Oh , but you didnt know it was derogatory !

Nor did your friends or the film crew .

Nor did the Editor or the Sound Director !

Even the Producer didnt know that!

Sure , I believe ya...

Edited by zaZa9

And if you turn the sound up of the Top Gear Video you can hear the Asian muttering to himself "Gweilo" meaning foreign devils.

Problem is "Slope" is not a term used in the UK to describe Asians, it is a term used by Americans and Australians. We use a different term popularised by Prince Philip.

In the UK we used the term "Slope" to describe someone who avoids hard work. This comes from the Army term "Slope Arms" (Shoulder Arms) meaning that the soldier carries the weight of his rifle on his shoulder. So a soldier who slopes off does not carry his weight (rifle) and is avoiding work.

During the Vietnam war ,the "slopes" dinks and gooks and viets,japs.... were all aiming at us soldiers ,not for laughing but to kill them .( and visa versa)

Surely the slopes had some other names for us soldiers,maybe called them "falang"?

Was this racism? Not at all ,us soldiers called german soldiers "jerry",and there was no race difference at all.

So dont com crying about racism all the time !

In fact racism is a very rare fenomen ,were you really hate another race for whatever stupid reason .

99% of us wont mint to sleep with a beautiful vietnamese ,congolese,birmese,thai........so 99% is not racist.(nor were us soldiers during the war!)

So put Jeremy Clarkson in bed with some other race ladies and let him prove he is not a racist !

And let them all shut up and ban the word "racism" ,hitler is long gone and the few that think like him are hard to find .coffee1.gif

Desperate old man looking for a bit more publicity...

Jeremy Clerkson is a desperate old man? Realy? The Jeremy Clerkson in his mid 50's, worth millions, fronts the most exported TV show in the world of all time, been all over the world with his mates getting paid silly money to have a laugh and do whatever he wants... You mean that guy, right? Yeh. Desperate. Personaly I pity the fool. Poor bloke.

Yes that desperate old man. Uses carefully contrived 'controversial' remarks that appeal to those who think that insulting others is a replacement for humour.

So if any of my friends refer to me as a 'Sweaty' ( Sweaty Sock -- Jock ) I should get upset and sue them. !!!!

Of course, the sweaty,s are always on the look out for making a quick buck, after all wasn't copper wire discovered when 2 sweaty,s starting fighting over a penny

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

They sure did when I lived there, but not really derogatory - more like wop or Jew, not considered insulting by most people.

I used to wonder what it meant until I was on a bus in Vietnam and looked out the window and saw a bunch of peasants wearing sloped hats. I got up and yelled to my friend, "I finally know why they call them slopeheads!" Luckily, no one but us could speak English.

4039364743_a853e0d639.jpg

The term dates to BC (Before Coneheads)

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

As Briton, I can also say I have never heard it used.