Beerlao (dark) in Isan

latelyo

The law is 1 liter of alcohol. Customs combines wine, spirits AND beer as alcohol. You can only bring into Thailand 3 cans at 330 mi .

Include in this you can only bring in 200 cigarettes 1 carton. Over here at Chong Chom Border Crossing and the Ban Krut local border market I have seen fines of 15,000 to 50,000 baht imposed on the spot. I have also witnessed, numerous arrested up to 12 persons at a time, being checked into the spacious and beautiful Kap Chong Cross Bar Hotel over these charges, Thai and Farang. Up to you.

I've been to the Ban Kruat market (Cambodia side) a few times and you can bring 1 litre of spirit or 1 bottle of wine AND 4 x 330 ml cans of beer. I have mates who go every week and do this...I've had my bags checked a few times and always no problem...

Also know of at least 8 that went there and were not to bright and it set them back up to 50k.wink.pngfacepalm.gif

Play it by the rules and your OK.thumbsup.gif

Edited by khwaibah

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beer Lao ('ordinary' and dark) made an appearance in Makro Ubon a week ago. Will have gone by now (i bought the only case of beer lao dark plus one of the three cases of ordinary - and i'm not telling you where i live!).

Maybe Makro will get some more - the cashier staff looked at it like it had arrived from another planet.

995 for the ord and 1115 for the Dark.

Outside Inn also had a few bottles on sale on Saturday, but Ubon Hash got most of thosetongue.png

[Those who come on the next few Ubon hashes may see a guest appearance of the ordinary - I'm keeping the Dark for me alone - gerroff!]

• Like 1

The law is 1 liter of alcohol. Customs combines wine, spirits AND beer as alcohol. You can only bring into Thailand 3 cans at 330 mi .

Include in this you can only bring in 200 cigarettes 1 carton. Over here at Chong Chom Border Crossing and the Ban Krut local border market I have seen fines of 15,000 to 50,000 baht imposed on the spot. I have also witnessed, numerous arrested up to 12 persons at a time, being checked into the spacious and beautiful Kap Chong Cross Bar Hotel over these charges, Thai and Farang. Up to you.

I've been to the Ban Kruat market (Cambodia side) a few times and you can bring 1 litre of spirit or 1 bottle of wine AND 4 x 330 ml cans of beer. I have mates who go every week and do this...I've had my bags checked a few times and always no problem...

Also know of at least 8 that went there and were not to bright and it set them back up to 50k.wink.pngfacepalm.gif

Play it by the rules and your OK.thumbsup.gif

I saw with my own mince pies only yesterday normal beer lao 55 baht a pop in Tops Central Plaza Udon .

I saw with my own mince pies only yesterday normal beer lao 55 baht a pop in Tops Central Plaza Udon .

Someone said they have them in Tops Ubon also - at 60 baht a bottle. Maybe that was dark, can't remember what was said (had consumed a few myself by then!)

Edited by SantiSuk

Beer Lao ('ordinary' and dark) made an appearance in Makro Ubon a week ago. Will have gone by now (i bought the only case of beer lao dark plus one of the three cases of ordinary - and i'm not telling you where i live!).

Maybe Makro will get some more - the cashier staff looked at it like it had arrived from another planet.

995 for the ord and 1115 for the Dark.

Outside Inn also had a few bottles on sale on Saturday, but Ubon Hash got most of thosetongue.png

[Those who come on the next few Ubon hashes may see a guest appearance of the ordinary - I'm keeping the Dark for me alone - gerroff!]

I bought the last case of ordinary beer Lao in Makro on Sunday. Hope they'll get more, and dark in soon! burp.gif

• Like 2

As you know I had been tempted to go back in and buy the last two myself when I got the first two loaded up in the motor, Bergen. Good to see the last one went to a loving homethumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Beer Lao, the typical the grass is always greener at the other side syndrome.

No doubt beers from even less developed countries than Thailand like Lao or Cambodia MUST be better, only because they are from another country and limited available here cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I bet expats onthe Laovisa forum crave for a Chang beer

No doubt beers from even less developed countries than Thailand like Lao or Cambodia MUST be better, only because they are from another country and limited available here cheesy.gif:cheesy:

There is no Thai beer similar to Beerlao dark...
Very true. I have tried the Cambodian dark beer (ABC) and whilst it's a welcome change to Thai lager (Leo/Chang/Archa) it is no match for BL Dark IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bought dark Beer Lao in Tops Central Plaza Ubon today Saturday at 11.00, and they had the ordinary one also! burp.gif

Bergen that stuff must move fast, i went there today hoping for a case and was informed its sold out.

I ended up getting a few bottles of German wheat beer @ 160 baht per bottle, it was a bad move as after drinking this brand will be a big issue to return to the Leo.

I ended up getting a few bottles of German wheat beer @ 160 baht per bottle, it was a bad move as after drinking this brand will be a big issue to return to the Leo.

Just take 2 days off and then make a 5 km run in the bright sun - you'll like any cold beer tongue.png

Bye,

Derk

As a possible alternative, Frank at Livin in the Past, Sisaket does a very nice German dark beer (in can) which works out about as cheap as BL dark. It's a very nice beer too!

• Like 1

As a possible alternative, Frank at Livin in the Past, Sisaket does a very nice German dark beer (in can) which works out about as cheap as BL dark. It's a very nice beer too!

I second that, if it's the same as the one that Norbert at Pizza4U was selling (until I and a few others drank it all!). I think that Norbert and Frank share supplies of 'difficult to source' stuff. I think we will have to label them the Sisaket German bar mafialaugh.png.

btw Dilligad, ABC from Camby is a stout - different drink to dark lager - more like a Guiness and a good one at that. Each to his own on taste; my take - both are classy beers in a SE Asian sea of industrial alcohol rubbish. That said, my hash motto is 'any beer is better than no beer'.

Am currently staying with sister in Cambridge. On non-hash days I run/walk there and back the mile each day to 'The Pint Shop' in the centre of town. 20 real ales from around the UK changing every few days and all beautifully kept. Eat yer hearts out!

• Like 2

I second that, if it's the same as the one that Norbert at Pizza4U was selling (until I and a few others drank it all!). I think that Norbert and Frank share supplies of 'difficult to source' stuff. I think we will have to label them the Sisaket German bar mafia:lol:.

btw Dilligad, ABC from Camby is a stout - different drink to dark lager - more like a Guiness and a good one at that. Each to his own on taste; my take - both are classy beers in a SE Asian sea of industrial alcohol rubbish. That said, my hash motto is 'any beer is better than no beer'.

Am currently staying with sister in Cambridge. On non-hash days I run/walk there and back the mile each day to 'The Pint Shop' in the centre of town. 20 real ales from around the UK changing every few days and all beautifully kept. Eat yer hearts out!

Hi Santi

Its in red and black tins and called something like Oettinger. If you like a dark beer, watch out for 'Hopback Entire' in your Pint Shop. Brewed in Salisbury, its a personal favourite of mine. See you at Franks some time!

Keep on running !!!

Its in red and black tins and called something like Oettinger. If you like a dark beer, watch out for 'Hopback Entire' in your Pint Shop.

Well in Germany Oettinger is known as one of the cheapest brands available and few people would recomend to waste the time drinking it bah.gif

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

STOP PRESS:

Fresh supplies in Makro Ubon - dark and standard. Bergen beat me to it this time and got the first three cases. I got another three 24 hours later. Still 6 or 7 boxes of dark (ThB 1,145) and 2 or 3 of standard lager (ThB 1,080) left as of 12 noon.

Hopefully it goes quickly (so Makro is encouraged to keep a stock)! TOPS seems to think they can rip-off Dark drinkers btw. It costs 36% more to buy Dark by the bottle in TOPS compared to the case price of one bottle (only 22% more to buy standard by the bottle in TOPS).

Edited by SantiSuk

STOP PRESS:

Fresh supplies in Makro Ubon - dark and standard. Bergen beat me to it this time and got the first three cases. I got another three 24 hours later. Still 6 or 7 boxes of dark (ThB 1,145) and 2 or 3 of standard lager (ThB 1,080) left as of 12 noon.

Hopefully it goes quickly (so Makro is encouraged to keep a stock)! TOPS seems to think they can rip-off Dark drinkers btw. It costs 36% more to buy Dark by the bottle in TOPS compared to the case price of one bottle (only 22% more to buy standard by the bottle in TOPS).

Has anyone spoke to them about ordering regularly as I'd buy a few boxes per month if I thought I wouldn't be wasting a journey to Ubon for a "no show"

Tell that Viking to stop his pillaging please!!!!

Edited by DILLIGAD

I'm not sure if Makro thinks that way in regards to re-ordering. I've run into a couple of instances where I would buy certain products during my weekly shopping spree only to find the following week its not there anymore. So I figure they will have it the week after...then I am sure they will have it by the 3rd week out of stock. Then I give up and go to the customer service desk and ask when they will receive the product again. The answer I got twice already was that the product doesnt sell, so they don't reorder. Eventhough I have been buying it the past months :).

Anyways, what I am saying is, that eventhough some demand is there, it does not guarantee that Makro will reorder.

I will try the BeerLao Dark and possibly add it on our Beerlist and then talk to the customer service staff and see if I can help convince them to order it on a regular basis. :)

Give them a call. http://www.beerlao.la/beerlao/eng/main.php

Main office for Thailand.

For overseas markets, Beerlao is now available in 17 countries worldwide.

1. Thailand

Company name: Carlsberg Thailand

Address: 12th Floor, Park Ventures Ecoplex, 57 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Patumwan, Bangkokarrow-10x10.png 10330, Thailand

Phone : +66 2108 2219 :106

Fax : +66 2108 2319

Contact person: Mr. Jacob Vigso Hermansen

Email: [email protected]

I called them yesterday, understood that they sell only to big operators, Makro, Big C etc. They told me to go to Makro....

That does not seem to be a functional email address.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Never seen it in Ubon or Sisaket Makro (but it probably goes within minutes!)

I agree, I live in Sisaket and I don't recall seeing it in Makro, or anywhere else actually, but there is a distributor near my house in Nongkrok who delivers alcohol to local businesses , however the only boxes of beer I have seen there seem to be CHANG and ARCHA, but I will call in there tomorrow and ask them and will get back to you. (if you turn left just past the Tree House Hotel, and before the aquarium on the right, follow that road for about three quarters of a mile and the warehouse is on the left and side )

This is an e-mail from April 28, 2014 regarding wholesale purchases of Beer Lao

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Punchat Srinakorn <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your interesting in our beers!

- We have only 330ml Bottle size for Beer Lao Lager and Beer Lao Dark

- MOQ deliver to Buriram is 330 cases, yes you can combine Lager and Dark

- Prices, Lager = 907.75 THB, Dark = 940.50 THB exclude VAT7%

- At Buriram, there is no any Beer Lao dealer.

I hope this email will be helpful for your decision

Regards,

Punchat Srinakorn (Pun)

+66 92 326 2662

Dear +++,

- Yes minimum order is 330 cases

- Now we are running out of stock of Beer Lao, the next lot will come on early of May, that mean you will get a fresh beer that produced in May

- And for the first shipment, you will get a beer within three days after I get paid from you

Thank you

Punchat Srinakorn (Pun)

+66 92 326 2662

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supply Chain Analyst

CB DISTRIBUTION CO LTD (Carlsberg Thailand)

12th Floor, Park Ventures Ecoplex | 57 Wireless Road

Lumpini, Patumwan | Bangkok10330 | Thailand

Phone +66 2108 2219| Fax +66 2108 2318

No doubt beers from even less developed countries than Thailand like Lao or Cambodia MUST be better, only because they are from another country and limited available here cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There is no Thai beer similar to Beerlao dark...

There are no Thai beers at all, Thai 'beer' are all gassy lagers, Lao dark is a far superior drink in all respects, 53 baht in foodland, tops is expensive. Anyone seen lao gold or that other one lan on sale here?

Edited by jacky54

Foodland please come to Ubon. Hardly worth buying by the case for casual drinkers if single bottles are only 11% marked-up.

The last two times I have been in Makro buying Beer Lao I have been approached by Thais on my way to or at the check out or in the car park by people interested in its availability. Not long before some local beer distributor cottons on to the potential demand. I see more and more bars and restaurants stocking it on a full-time or occasional basis this year. Trouble is that every entrepreneur knows that once they do it every distributor will do it. I wonder if Carlsberg would offer a sole distributorship for a limited time, province by province, to kick start broader distribution and marketing.

A bit ironic that Carlsberg BIA (boring industrial alcohol) are the importer!

• Like 1

STOP PRESS:

Just left there at Noon, I pulled 4 box of the dark. 1 x Box of Dark & 2 x Box of Light left. They are not sure when the next batch will arrive.