Cost of sinking a borehole for water

HughJass

to be honest mate, the thai family should know this,

but ill bite,

we went down to 18 mtrs and 28 mtrs for our on our farm and it cost about 6,000 ech bore hole,

a good pump is about 5 to 6k

piping well i dont know how far your going but its not expencive,

by the way the pump price is for an automatic

Get a good well. In thai they call them a "big well" or an "air well" as the rigs use air to remove the dirt and rock, not water.

Cost of the well will be about 30,000 to a depth of about 60 meters. Then you'll have the cost of a good submersible at about 18,000 for a Mitsubishi 1-1/2 hp 4" pump.

Best way to go if you don't want headaches in the future.

If you don't care about the headaches because they will be someone else's, you can cheap out on the well for about 15,000, he'll drill to about 30 meters, he'll use the lightest casing he can buy, the size of the hole as it gets deeper will get smaller so that in the end your 4" will be lucky to get a 3" submersible down it, or worse than that, you will only be able to get a 2 " pipe down it and have to pump with a surface pump which will probably run dry during the dry season as the static water level of the well drops. The surface pump will run you 4000 baht and you can use some farmers iron buffalo to run it.

I have both kinds of these wells and wells in between these so I know what I am talking about. We drilled 7 wells last year and used 5 contractors.

• Like 1

Why is the price range so great.....excluding any foreign surcharging...we have had a quote from 70k to 150k, pump supplied, drilling down to 40/60m in the area they say.

Are we talking different sizes as I am talking the bigger casing, cannot recall size now, but much bigger than 4 inch.

foreign surcharging....as you put it, would be the likely cause.

If you want to know other reasons, you'll need to get the company/driller to spec the well and equipment, or spec it yourself and have them quote on it.

foreign surcharging....as you put it, would be the likely cause.

If you want to know other reasons, you'll need to get the company/driller to spec the well and equipment, or spec it yourself and have them quote on it.

Foreigner was not involved re quotes....thai on thai and a local restaurant owner up the road paid 120k.

Wow, you guys sure are paying a lot for holes in the ground.

A 4" diameter x 30M deep bore hole should only cost 4K-6K, and a submersible pump to suit around 6K as well. Even if it does die and the pump becomes irrecoverable for whatever reason after a few years, you can do it all over again 10 or more times for the prices being paid in this thread w00t.gif

A 4" diameter x 30M deep bore hole should only cost 4K-6K, and a submersible pump to suit around 6K as well. Even if it does die and the pump becomes irrecoverable for whatever reason after a few years, you can do it all over again 10 or more times for the prices being paid in this thread w00t.gif

Paying a lot for the service, machinery and equipment to dig the hole in the ground. The price for a well varies a lot from area-to-area in Thailand. In Chiang Rai, a Thai family was quoted B13,000 for a complete well with pump -- not sure how deep the well was going to be. In the Pattaya area, the going price is from B85,000 to B130,000 for a 4" diameter 50+ meter well, submersible pump and 1 year warranty, not including the cost to bring the water into the house from the well. In my case, last year I paid B100,000 for the well and pump and B8,000 to lay the pipe and line for the floating switch to bring the water to my holding tank. It took three full days, with 2 guys and a truck with digging equipment, to dig the well. While there is most likely a "farang premium" in the price, Thais in the area pay a similar price for wells if they want them. The guy that dug the well is now quoting B10,000 for the annual maintenance to clean and service the well and pump, which seems high as it is only about a 1.5 to 2 hour job -- TIT.

Paying a lot for the service, machinery and equipment to dig the hole in the ground. The price for a well varies a lot from area-to-area in Thailand. In Chiang Rai, a Thai family was quoted B13,000 for a complete well with pump -- not sure how deep the well was going to be. In the Pattaya area, the going price is from B85,000 to B130,000 for a 4" diameter 50+ meter well, submersible pump and 1 year warranty, not including the cost to bring the water into the house from the well. In my case, last year I paid B100,000 for the well and pump and B8,000 to lay the pipe and line for the floating switch to bring the water to my holding tank. It took three full days, with 2 guys and a truck with digging equipment, to dig the well. While there is most likely a "farang premium" in the price, Thais in the area pay a similar price for wells if they want them. The guy that dug the well is now quoting B10,000 for the annual maintenance to clean and service the well and pump, which seems high as it is only about a 1.5 to 2 hour job -- TIT.

If in that situation , I think I'd offer the hometown drilling guys a holiday to Pattaya rather than paying those kinds of prices ;)

Frankly, I find that hard to believe.

I live in the land of the broke Thai farmer. I have personally seen the lowest price in the area of 12,000 baht. Well was 4" at the top, but you couldn't get a 3" submersible deeper than 8 meters. It works, because the pump only puts out 1" (40 l/min).

You"re right about the pump.....if you buy 3" and chinese made - 4500 baht last year.

Frankly, I find that hard to believe.

I live in the land of the broke Thai farmer. I have personally seen the lowest price in the area of 12,000 baht. Well was 4" at the top, but you couldn't get a 3" submersible deeper than 8 meters. It works, because the pump only puts out 1" (40 l/min).

You"re right about the pump.....if you buy 3" and chinese made - 4500 baht last year.

It appears to be one of those things that if you don't know what the price should be, they just make it up ;)

There is something very different about the prices quoted...size and everything must be, also capacity.

I am talking large casing and flow and ability to pump and irrigate....not just fill up a water tank with a nice little pump.

Absolutely no way a good professionally produced bore would/could cost under 10k.

Not possible when you have 4 guys and a air drill rig running for 2 days plus the cost of pump ,pipes etc.

Unless your in beach sand,

I paid 150k Pranburi two wells 75 metres and 80 metres deep, it was meant to be one well but he said flow was only 500litrs but when we checked we got over 1000, the other well is 4000 litres an hour. Included a "Franklin" pump which in fact is a hybrid, a real Franklin motor with a another companies pump stuck on, confrimed by Franklin USA.

Thie was 12 months ago

Our land is rock not soft clay.

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...