Are Thai natives interested in receiving Reiki ?

Mahdrek

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, my knowledge is limited. I don't even know what HPC is. My intention is to inform, share, elucidate, and learn from others on this particular thread, and TV in General. I have fun, learn, mess around a bit in intellectual debate, but I would never indulge so much energy rebutting a thread or line of inquiry which I fundamentally reject. It would seem a bit... Foolish of me to engage to simply repudiate that which was obvious to me. If I did then digressed into ad hominen... Well, it'd be buffoonery, wouldn't it?

I accept your observation that my knowledge is limited. Wish you the best.

Frauds who peddle false hope of "cure" must always be robustly challenged.

HPC stands for " Health and Care Professions Council" The council regulates and registers QUALIFIED professionals in the UK !

All Western countries have similar arrangements for the registration and regulation of genuine , degree qualified health care professionals.

A quote from the HPC website

"We currently regulate the following professions: arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists / podiatrists, clinical scientists, dietitians, hearing aid dispensers, occupational therapists, operating department practitioners, orthoptists, paramedics, physiotherapists, practitioner psychologists, prosthetists / orthotists, radiographers, social workers in England and speech and language therapists.

All of these professions have at least one professional title that is protected by law, including those shown above. This means, for example, that anyone using the titles 'physiotherapist' or 'dietitian' must be registered with us.

It is a criminal offence for someone to claim that they are registered with us when they are not, or to use a protected title that they are not entitled to use. We will prosecute people who commit these crimes."

​One cannot help but notice the absence of "quacks" !

You make yourself more ridiculous with each post you make, or you would know the difference in primary care and complimentary therapies, the latter being the case here. Therefore would not appear on such a site and if you knew that you wouldnt make such a ridiculous statement to start with.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, my knowledge is limited. I don't even know what HPC is. My intention is to inform, share, elucidate, and learn from others on this particular thread, and TV in General. I have fun, learn, mess around a bit in intellectual debate, but I would never indulge so much energy rebutting a thread or line of inquiry which I fundamentally reject. It would seem a bit... Foolish of me to engage to simply repudiate that which was obvious to me. If I did then digressed into ad hominen... Well, it'd be buffoonery, wouldn't it?

HPC stands for " Health and Care Professions Council" The council regulates and registers QUALIFIED professionals in the UK !

All Western countries have similar arrangements for the registration and regulation of genuine , degree qualified health care professionals.

"We currently regulate the following professions: arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists / podiatrists, clinical scientists, dietitians, hearing aid dispensers, occupational therapists, operating department practitioners, orthoptists, paramedics, physiotherapists, practitioner psychologists, prosthetists / orthotists, radiographers, social workers in England and speech and language therapists.

All of these professions have at least one professional title that is protected by law, including those shown above. This means, for example, that anyone using the titles 'physiotherapist' or 'dietitian' must be registered with us.

It is a criminal offence for someone to claim that they are registered with us when they are not, or to use a protected title that they are not entitled to use. We will prosecute people who commit these crimes."

You make yourself more ridiculous with each post you make, or you would know the difference in primary care and complimentary therapies, the latter being the case here. Therefore would not appear on such a site and if you knew that you wouldnt make such a ridiculous statement to start with.

Complimentary "therapy" is by definition something provided by frauds and quacks who quickly and expertly empty the pockets of the vulnerable !

I am sure you will tell me what "primary" care is and who provides it.

Is it different from " secondary" care or "tertiary " care ?

CharlieH, I can see you feel strongly about this topic. I suppose you genuinely find this to be BS. It has been my experience that when an issue is measured by the subjective and not objective many people slime into such fields/areas because they cant quite be measured, and while overtly no harm may be done, passively they may accomplish nothing for patients seeking relief. I get it. I know you are correct about this.

Medicine, both eastern and western, has never been my source of income. I have never charged a patient for care in my life. As an aside I trained in US as Acupuncturist as well but this too became a curiosity when I then met people practiced in neidan qigong. There really are those out there with the skills I speak of. I could only hope to be someday. I am not today. I do practice on my MD fiance, who is also Traditional Chinese Medicine trained. So we have a purview into both worlds. I hold complimentary medicine has its place and when those who seek relief exhaust the western medical system, they turn with great hope to alternative care. Yes, its awful that some may take advantage, or erroneously believe they are gifted, but many do find solace and a degree of relief from such care, especially the hospice care.

I suspect it will be a long time before energy work as an alternative care subset is widely accepted, and perhaps rightly so; but it is increasing in the US.

Complimentary "therapy" is by definition something provided by frauds and quacks who quickly and expertly empty the pockets of the vulnerable !

I am sure you will tell me what "primary" care is and who provides it.

Is it different from " secondary" care or "tertiary " care ?

It seems you are now arguing for the sake of it, best you go find a mirror and carry on as your contributions here are now comical.

• Like 1

thepool- "Complimentary "therapy" is by definition something provided by frauds and quacks who quickly and expertly empty the pockets of the vulnerable !"

National Institute of Health Definition-

• “Complementary” generally refers to using a non-mainstream approach together with conventional medicine.
  • “Alternative” refers to using a non-mainstream approach in place of conventional medicine

There is no mention of frauds or quacks in any definition I could find other than your post. If your intent was sarcasm, it failed. This one little point being so incredibly wrong kinda disables you from further serious discourse. You identify yourself as singularly unable to grasp the intent of the thread. We can't stop you from posting, but the rest of us will sigh.

• Like 1

I'm gonna suffer from a terrible hangover tomorrow, so if someone could please send me some Reiki energy tomorrow around 10am (3pm in Thailand) it would be most appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its a restricted activity/job same as massage and THAI only can practice it.

If you did it it would be illegal and you certainly would not get a work permit for it.

The purpose of this thread was not to Argue over Reiki's merit or lack of as most commenters opinions obviously show.

Thank you, in between all the arguing I found what I was originally asking and that is that Thai people lean towards western medicine.

I had another question that the above quote brings to mind. What if a foreigner is married to a Thai, would it still be considered a restricted activity/job ?

Thank you

Brought my Thai wife for a session a few years back and she continues to go...says it helps

The practitioner is better looking than I am. So I asked her, 'what does it help'.

Kidding aside, I often get a mild cold after a session and am told that's a good sign (in other words, I'm energetically toxic)

Anyone who gives credence to a healing system where one can become a 'Master' after going on a course ....needs their bumps felt

You beat me to it!

Normally becoming a Master takes a lifetime.

With Reiki it takes a course.

ps it may if course likely have a placebo value, but then a red pill has more placebo value than a blue one, a large pill has more cpvalue than a small one, a yuk tasting pill is more effective than a nice one, and if you want the max effect as a physician, wear the right gear preferably with a stethoscope, and have some certificates on the wall.

Does that make Reiki worthwhile?

If you can afford it and are willing to listen to pseudo-scientific fantasy about vibrations resonating perhaps.

Edited by cheeryble

Sure, Thai enjoy that sort of thing - - I used to give free short sessions and it was always well received. Many would just fall asleep as they are already fairly relaxed. If you do reiki, you might want to ask them first. If you are trying to do it for a living, I don't think they are interested enough to pay. I live upcountry and people are always interested in any sort of faith healers and less than conventional healing. Many of them are free or ask for a small donation.

I think there used to be a group in Chiang Mai that went around to the hospitals offering free Reiki and that was well received.

If you did it it would be illegal and you certainly would not get a work permit for it.

The purpose of this thread was not to Argue over Reiki's merit or lack of as most commenters opinions obviously show.

Thank you, in between all the arguing I found what I was originally asking and that is that Thai people lean towards western medicine.

I had another question that the above quote brings to mind. What if a foreigner is married to a Thai, would it still be considered a restricted activity/job ?

Thank you

It depends. If you want to be cured of your aliment then you lean towards Western medicine. If you want Hocus Pocus then you rely on Reiki.

Anyone who gives credence to a healing system where one can become a 'Master' after going on a course ....needs their bumps felt

You beat me to it!

Normally becoming a Master takes a lifetime.

With Reiki it takes a course.

ps it may if course likely have a placebo value, but then a red pill has more placebo value than a blue one, a large pill has more cpvalue than a small one, a yuk tasting pill is more effective than a nice one, and if you want the max effect as a physician, wear the right gear preferably with a stethoscope, and have some certificates on the wall.

Does that make Reiki worthwhile?

If you can afford it and are willing to listen to pseudo-scientific fantasy about vibrations resonating perhaps.

Normally becoming a Master takes a lifetime....

you mean until someone dies? then they are a master? silly

Quackwatch says that Reiki is nonsense. I must admit, that has always been my impression too.

The Bottom Line

Reiki has no substantiated health value and lacks a scientifically plausible rationale. Science-based healthcare settings should not tolerate its use, and scarce government research dollars should not be used to study it further [8].

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/reiki.html

Quack watch is founded by a bias ex psychologist (now that's a profession that's screwed up more people then reiki I bet). The founder, dr. Barrett is anti anything not mainstream medicine and loves bashing anything that isn't the norm. Yet most of medicine has little research behind it, in fact only 15%.

We take more drugs in the US then any other country yet are rated 72nd in overall health. So before you listen or read from a site that thinks only western medicine is effective use your common sense.

That being said, reiki is not something I would agree as effective, but bottom line is that if someone thinks it helps them then they should have the freedom to use it..

• Like 1

Thank you

It depends. If you want to be cured of your aliment then you lean towards Western medicine. If you want Hocus Pocus then you rely on Reiki.

As a person who has worked in healthcare I can only think of how ignorant a statement that is. Medicine is the 3rd leading cause of preventable death and if it was THE answer, then why is the US, where they have the best medicine, the sickest industrial country in the world.

I'm not a Reiki fan, but to think modern medicine is so scientific and effective is a blatant lie.

Very few conditions are actually " cured" by medicine.

• Like 1

Thank you

As a person who has worked in healthcare I can only think of how ignorant a statement that is. Medicine is the 3rd leading cause of preventable death and if it was THE answer, then why is the US, where they have the best medicine, the sickest industrial country in the world.

I'm not a Reiki fan, but to think modern medicine is so scientific and effective is a blatant lie.

Very few conditions are actually " cured" by medicine.

Antibiotics alone have cured millions of otherwise lethal infections. Modern med. is far from perfect and corrupted by profiteering in many cases but compared to the "alternative" med.... and "energy healing" with 0% confirmed cure rate....

Quack watch is founded by a bias ex psychologist (now that's a profession that's screwed up more people then reiki I bet). The founder, dr. Barrett is anti anything not mainstream medicine and loves bashing anything that isn't the norm. Yet most of medicine has little research behind it, in fact only 15%.

We take more drugs in the US then any other country yet are rated 72nd in overall health. So before you listen or read from a site that thinks only western medicine is effective use your common sense.

That being said, reiki is not something I would agree as effective, but bottom line is that if someone thinks it helps them then they should have the freedom to use it..

The movement has been gathering steam for evidence based medicine.

It's this very movement which gathers data such as you cited for America's rating in overall health (thought they were 17th).

No-one said that conventional medicine shouldn't come under the same evidence-based scrutiny as "complimentary", and just last year the American College of Urologists was turned on it's head when PSA testing was contra-recommended for symptomless men, and suddenly it's ok to eat eggs. "Conventional" psychology has been turned on it's head with the fall of Freud's need for analysis and the rise of dealing with what's there now as in Cognitive Behavious Therapy. Benzodiazepines are now a no-no,

Assessment and re-assessment of procedures and pharmaceuticals should be an ongoing process and the above are examples of intelligent advance.

The most important thing is the scientific method and expertise in seeing error and bias and selective recall in evaluation, and this is improving constantly. Probably the first baby step is to recognize anecdote....a mainstay keeping many unconventional and some conventional practitioners in business.....for what it is, and only consider statistically valid sample sizes.......... and to realise that when someone is "cured" by something it is highly likely the natural process of healing had some or all to do with it. ("I have many people walk out if my Reiki Clinic feeling so much better" does not cut it).

Anything should be on the emperor has no clothes hit list and let them show us why they ARE wearing something.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

I know of Caucasians doing Reiki in Ko Samui, so thought it was legal , just didn't know if they had Thai clients

A foreigner can own a business and employ thai staff

If the staff were asked to do something that a foreigner would be better at such as teach english

Or for example if it was a japanease style massage then maybe a japanease person might be able to get a permit to do this

Different countries have different restrictions on visa rights

Where on samui can I get it done?

Problem is salary

Now to have a forang on the books they have to have a salary of 50 k per month and pay tax on that and the owner of the company of it is a forang one needs 2 million baht share capital per forang employed then show that the company generates enough income to pay salary to staff and yourself and pay bills and make a profit

So in a nut shell the company would have to turn over serious money just to cover costs and stay legal