Are Thai natives interested in receiving Reiki ?

Mahdrek

Do Thai natives know about and go to Reiki practitioners ?

Seems like stupid question but I don't know Thai well and the Thai peep I have talked to were unfamiliar with it, even though Reiki was founded in Asia.

Also I know Reiki has no religious affiliations but wondering if Buddhists would not be interested< don't know much about that religion

Thank you in advance :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a restricted activity/job same as massage and THAI only can practice it.

If you did it it would be illegal and you certainly would not get a work permit for it.

Edited by CharlieH

Thank you CharlieH for bringing this to my attention, I will look into this more

Thank you arjunadawn, for all the information and wisdom :) the fact that Thai people ( sorry Thai natives was all I could think of to make title short. ) prefer western medicine reminds me of how they try to lighten their skin while Caucasians are always working on darkening theirs.

I will most likely private message you sometime :)

I don't care what quack watch has to say, I would take a Reiki session over a 1 hour professional massage any day <3

Is Reiki nonesense? "The bottom line"? Perhaps Reiki is nonsense, but it is most definitely founded on something quite real- the dynamics and interactions of energy and vibrations. Reiki did not interest me personally because it seemed too... modern and contrived. However, the Traditional Chinese Medicine and NediDan Qigong that Reiki obviously took its cue from has been practiced, observed, and colaced into a body of knowledge over thousands of years, so let me speak about this in response to Reiki nonsense. On the subject of TCM and qigong I can speak.

There are quacks throughout the world and any fool can take a reiki course then hang a sign. It in no way means this person has the remotest clue about intention, visualization, the harmonics of energetic fields, or any pathology, let alone normal body functions. Yet the underlying principles are not only sound but the reductionist materialistic religion of science can only test what it can conceive, and it is amongst the most narrow minded institutions on earth.

The entire universe, the here, the now, you, the space between you and me, the PC- all, are vibrations and waves and particles. Every atom has its frequency of oscillation that joins the caravan of molecules, the cells, and tissues, and organs, and organ systems, each with its own frequency, finding over time their collective harmony which is your own human frequency (Doubt this? Order Trifield EMF Tester which blocks all AC EMF and test yourself. This is a world class and inexpensive device that can detect a person's EMF through a wall. Did Quackwatch use this?). This is not new age crap, this is your science. Every scientific test is dubious in any regard and that is not even questionable, we only agree on the repeatable construction by consensus. It was long ago confirmed that all scientific tests are biased on behalf of the observer- the tester. Why is that, Quackwatch? Because the observer is part of the subject. (See Einstein "Spooky action at a distance").

There really are medical conditions that result from toxic energy either in the home, the workplace, the common areas, schools, and via exposure to toxic people, toxic relationships. We can meet perhaps 1/2 way and stipulate we can grasp this? Why then is it a bridge too far to imagine the near touch, the movement, the harmonic massage of an energy worker couldn't improve another's condition, even if it had a circuitous effect of the patient believing and this then allowing their own harmony and self healing?

Alloapathic medicine is reductionist and treats... what it sees as a final presentation in nearly every case. Branches, not roots, are treated and often with horrible side effects from drugs. There is no holistic approach to a person's wellness, which when well, enables most people to ward of a good bit of disease. Neither can treat all things but a wise man would render his own judgement based on both self evidence and experiential knowledge.

I have practiced both west and eastern medicine; I would always consider both depending on my patient's needs.

coffee1.gif

Another interesting article on Reiki:

Absurdist ridiculousity

OK, so I made up that phrase—which is exactly what I have in common with the founder of reiki. In 1922 Mikao Usui (JSG) fasted on a mountaintop in Japan and “received” the revelation of reiki. In other words, he made it up.

http://scienceblogs.com/whitecoatunderground/2009/03/11/reiki-still-stupid-after-all-t/

Yes, I paused in my previous comments regarding Reiki because I... had an issue with how they acknowledged this Japanese dude in a portrait before they began. That did smack of cult-like, I agree. I found it hard to accept that anything invented within this past hundred years could significantly improve upon accumulated knowledge. Something didn't feel write. I had attended the Hemisync Gateway and this Reiki was available to train one weekend. I never did it again.

I later studied Oriental Medicine and Medical Qigong and realized a wealth of information is fundamentally absent in Reiki; indeed, everything about medicine is lacking. Nevertheless, I stand by my assertion that a gifted qigong practitioner can make a difference in people's health; I have seen and felt it. Sadly there is no ability to separate the fools from the gifted. I think it is fair to say you made your point.

• Like 1

Is Reiki nonesense? "The bottom line"? Perhaps Reiki is nonsense, but it is most definitely founded on something quite real- the dynamics and interactions of energy and vibrations. Reiki did not interest me personally because it seemed too... modern and contrived. However, the Traditional Chinese Medicine and NediDan Qigong that Reiki obviously took its cue from has been practiced, observed, and colaced into a body of knowledge over thousands of years, so let me speak about this in response to Reiki nonsense. On the subject of TCM and qigong I can speak.

There are quacks throughout the world and any fool can take a reiki course then hang a sign. It in no way means this person has the remotest clue about intention, visualization, the harmonics of energetic fields, or any pathology, let alone normal body functions. Yet the underlying principles are not only sound but the reductionist materialistic religion of science can only test what it can conceive, and it is amongst the most narrow minded institutions on earth.

The entire universe, the here, the now, you, the space between you and me, the PC- all, are vibrations and waves and particles. Every atom has its frequency of oscillation that joins the caravan of molecules, the cells, and tissues, and organs, and organ systems, each with its own frequency, finding over time their collective harmony which is your own human frequency (Doubt this? Order Trifield EMF Tester which blocks all AC EMF and test yourself. This is a world class and inexpensive device that can detect a person's EMF through a wall. Did Quackwatch use this?). This is not new age crap, this is your science. Every scientific test is dubious in any regard and that is not even questionable, we only agree on the repeatable construction by consensus. It was long ago confirmed that all scientific tests are biased on behalf of the observer- the tester. Why is that, Quackwatch? Because the observer is part of the subject. (See Einstein "Spooky action at a distance").

There really are medical conditions that result from toxic energy either in the home, the workplace, the common areas, schools, and via exposure to toxic people, toxic relationships. We can meet perhaps 1/2 way and stipulate we can grasp this? Why then is it a bridge too far to imagine the near touch, the movement, the harmonic massage of an energy worker couldn't improve another's condition, even if it had a circuitous effect of the patient believing and this then allowing their own harmony and self healing?

Alloapathic medicine is reductionist and treats... what it sees as a final presentation in nearly every case. Branches, not roots, are treated and often with horrible side effects from drugs. There is no holistic approach to a person's wellness, which when well, enables most people to ward of a good bit of disease. Neither can treat all things but a wise man would render his own judgement based on both self evidence and experiential knowledge.

I have practiced both west and eastern medicine; I would always consider both depending on my patient's needs.

Wooist nonsense. seriously, why not just admit this is religious $uperstition .... Ironic that new agers always attempt to label "science" as narrow minded when ALL the miracles and advances we have made are due to science/technology.....

Wooist nonsense. seriously, why not just admit this is religious $uperstition .... Ironic that new agers always attempt to label "science" as narrow minded when ALL the miracles and advances we have made are due to science/technology.....

Perhaps at some level you are correct but the only difference here is the level of observation we each bring to our commentary. You malign that which you likely don't know, having others formulate your conclusions whereas I have practiced medicine for decades and I have seen... Something remarkably useful to people in TCM (I refrain from including Reiki in TCM).

• Like 1

For all you cantankerous naysayers out there I would point out that when we see the TCM patients the majority sound just like you- they are curmudgeons, sharpen biting, acrid, and uninformed. But they have some condition, perhaps neuralgia, peripheral neuropathy, diabetes with distal swelling, headaches, tinnitus, or any imaginable state and allopathic medicine refers them because there is nothing palliative that can be done.

These people arrive with their support person and always preface with similar comments, yet of course most people are not as flatly rude as those on TV. Some go away disappointed like the multisystems patient who expected 60 years of poor living to be corrected in one treatment. But many patients find both palliative and practical relief.

The WHO and the NIH have found numerous conditions for which TCM has been effective. I understand that energy work is a separate subset but in this too I have marveled. I am trained in medical qigong. I don't practice as my interest is adjunctive neidan, but I have seen it work. Last comment.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For all you cantankerous naysayers out there I would point out that when we see the TCM patients the majority sound just like you- they are curmudgeons, sharpen biting, acrid, and uninformed. But they have some condition, perhaps neuralgia, peripheral neuropathy, diabetes with distal swelling, headaches, tinnitus, or any imaginable state and allopathic medicine refers them because there is nothing palliative that can be done.

These people arrive with their support person and always preface with similar comments, yet of course most people are not as flatly rude as those on TV. Some go away disappointed like the multisystems patient who expected 60 years of poor living to be corrected in one treatment. But many patients find both palliative and practical relief.

The WHO and the NIH have found numerous conditions for which TCM has been effective. I understand that energy work is a separate subset but in this too I have marveled. I am trained in medical qigong. I don't practice as my interest is adjunctive neidan, but I have seen it work. Last comment.

Why not just produce some evidence which confirms the effectiveness of this junk ?

Real evidence.

That means Scientific, controlled trials, with results published in respected , peer reviewed scientific journals.

A list of say 12 links, directing us to the evidence would be very helpful.

Edited by thepool

...actually I have been around and been friends with practitioners of nearly every "modality" of "energy work" you can list. It is my near life long association with various healers, "light workers" and assorted airy fairy types on which I base my skeptecism..... they did have the good shrooms though.

The method, technique or whatever really doesnt matter in my opinion, if a person "believes" it is helping them then who are you or I or anyone to knock it. If its a matter of belief and the individual "feels" that it is helping or improving how they feel then thats all that really matters. It works for "them".

In just the same way as many other systems and techniques, including religion if it comes to that, it all depends on what you believe, call it psychosomatic if you like.

"Psychosomatic medicine is an interdisciplinary medical field studying the relationships of social, psychological, and behavioral factors on bodily processes and quality of life in humans "

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why not just produce some evidence which confirms the effectiveness of this junk ?

Real evidence.

That means Scientific, controlled trials, with results published in respected , peer reviewed scientific journals.

A list of say 12 links, directing us to the evidence would be very helpful.

Out running today but I'd like to so my best. I presume your request for 12 links is bases on the assumption they can't be provided. That's the uncomfortable nature of opening our mouth and confirming we are foolish. Since running I'll just cite one link which cites 25 references. A person could search these links, but your aim is not actually the pursuit of knowledge, it's protesting there's anything outside your "box" or worldview.

http://www.item-bioenergy.com/infocenter/LegitimacyofEnergyMedicine.pdf

I was surprised to find this so easily, however, there are many ethnomedical studies which describe the multitudes of peoples throughout the world that rely on such medical modalities. As energy healing is a shared meditative experience... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18697618

See Energetic Imbalance- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24761185

Ethnomedical modality- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22745613

Self qigong- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24199969

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22990723

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23609463

Was someone actually interested, I would direct them accordingly. Having said this, I remain skeptical that any person could just attend a weekend course and be effective. Taoist and Buddhist medicine have countless billions over the years who believe. It is a modern staple that science can be used to support any position. However, I'd rather live in a world of possibility rather than confinement.

Your observations remains, obviously, irrelevant.

• Like 2

http://www.thehealingtrust.org.uk/node/134

"Oh yea.... Well your a... ...."

These are the protestations of the intellectually defeated. Good day!

Another " Quack " site . !

Are these "trained" Quackers" registered with the HPC ?

Have a glance at the website and tell which category of health care profession these "healers" are to be found !

http://www.hpc-uk.org/

Edited by thepool

http://www.thehealingtrust.org.uk/node/134

"Oh yea.... Well your a... ...."

These are the protestations of the intellectually defeated. Good day!

Another " Quack " site . !

Are these "trained" Quackers" registered with the HPC ?

Have a glance at the website and tell which category of health care profession these "healers" are to be found !

http://www.hpc-uk.org/

HPC is neither comprehensive nor complete, thinking that any or all practitioners needs to be or should be listed there only shows your limited knowledge.

Edited by CharlieH

My aunt is a so-called Reiki healer. She has reached the level that makes her able to provide remote healing. I guess that means she can send energy to anyone, anywhere :)

I believe she has paid around 20.000 NOK (100.000 THB) to reach this level, which is insane!

A few years ago, i struggled with a neuropathic disorder called trigeminal neuralgia, and she offered me a free healing session. I said why not.. send me some energy.

Needless to say, this didn´t work at all.. What worked was having a minor brain surgery a few months later :)

Yes, my knowledge is limited. I don't even know what HPC is. My intention is to inform, share, elucidate, and learn from others on this particular thread, and TV in General. I have fun, learn, mess around a bit in intellectual debate, but I would never indulge so much energy rebutting a thread or line of inquiry which I fundamentally reject. It would seem a bit... Foolish of me to engage to simply repudiate that which was obvious to me. If I did then digressed into ad hominen... Well, it'd be buffoonery, wouldn't it?

I accept your observation that my knowledge is limited. Wish you the best.

Yes, my knowledge is limited. I don't even know what HPC is. My intention is to inform, share, elucidate, and learn from others on this particular thread, and TV in General. I have fun, learn, mess around a bit in intellectual debate, but I would never indulge so much energy rebutting a thread or line of inquiry which I fundamentally reject. It would seem a bit... Foolish of me to engage to simply repudiate that which was obvious to me. If I did then digressed into ad hominen... Well, it'd be buffoonery, wouldn't it?

I accept your observation that my knowledge is limited. Wish you the best.

Frauds who peddle false hope of "cure" must always be robustly challenged.

HPC stands for " Health and Care Professions Council" The council regulates and registers QUALIFIED professionals in the UK !

All Western countries have similar arrangements for the registration and regulation of genuine , degree qualified health care professionals.

A quote from the HPC website

"We currently regulate the following professions: arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists / podiatrists, clinical scientists, dietitians, hearing aid dispensers, occupational therapists, operating department practitioners, orthoptists, paramedics, physiotherapists, practitioner psychologists, prosthetists / orthotists, radiographers, social workers in England and speech and language therapists.

All of these professions have at least one professional title that is protected by law, including those shown above. This means, for example, that anyone using the titles 'physiotherapist' or 'dietitian' must be registered with us.
It is a criminal offence for someone to claim that they are registered with us when they are not, or to use a protected title that they are not entitled to use. We will prosecute people who commit these crimes."
​One cannot help but notice the absence of "quacks" !
Edited by thepool