Phuket: Alcohol sales ban for Patong this weekend

webfact

Phuket: Alcohol sales ban for Patong this weekend
Anthika Muangrod

PHUKET: -- There will be an alcohol ban this weekend in preparation for the Patong mayoral election.

Alcohol sales will be banned in Patong only starting 6pm tomorrow (April 25) until midnight Saturday (April 26).

Any violation will risk a penalty of six months in prison or a fine of B10,000, or both. While pubs and bars are not required to close, a large majority usually do.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-alcohol-sales-ban-for-patong-this-weekend-45874.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-24

Patong alcohol ban as Pian guns for mayor
Phuket Gazette

1_2014424191653750_jClRYRiDirllyVIWKyLAF
Former Patong Mayor Pian Keesin, declared guilty of vote fraud in March, will run for re-election this Saturday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- The sale of alcohol will be banned throughout Patong tonight and tomorrow (including tomorrow night) as residents go to the polls to elect a Patong Mayor and several new councilors.

Former Patong Mayor Pian Keesin will run for re-election. He will face two candidates in the race: Phuket Democrat Chalermluck Kebsab and former councilor Kittisan Kuru of the Patong Gao Na (Patong Progress) Party.

Ms Chalermluck, a Phuket native, is a veteran of island politics, who was voted to serve as a Phuket MP in 2001 (story here).

Mr Pian and five councilors – but not current mayoral candidate Mr Kittisan – were suspended from office in September last year over allegations of vote fraud in the 2012 council polls.

All six men were declared guilty on March 7, prompting the call for fresh elections to be held this weekend (story here).

Although the polls will be open on Saturday only, under election law, an alcohol ban will start at 6pm today and continue through to midnight tomorrow.

Anyone who breaks the law faces a fine of up to 10,000 baht, six months’ imprisonment, or both.

Patong Municipality Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) Poonsak Naksena, who is acting as the Patong Municipality Election Director, called on all eligible voters to turn out at the polls.

“This Saturday is our election day. Please show up as we need your votes for Patong Mayor and to fill the four vacant seats on the Municipality Council,” Mr Poonsak said.

Meanwhile, Patong will face another weekend of lost nightlife trade due to elections. The Patong by-election will be the fifth election alcohol ban in Phuket within just two months.

— Woranut Pechdee

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Patong-alcohol-ban-Pian-guns-mayor/29232#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-25

.....as can restaurants if accompanied by a meal.

Some restaurant owners don't serve alcohol for fear of police 'fines'. I well remember ordering a meal and wine at an Italian place on Nanai during a voting period. The lady presented my glass of wine and I took a sip. The Italian owner rushed over in a panic and apologised that no alcohol allowed and he removed my glass of wine. But I still had to pay for the wine - oh well, ho hum. I paid without any complaint. Mind you I never went back.

• Like 1

Difficult to explain the alcohol/elections rule to tourists, I always say that with a hangover they would vote for the wrong party or candidate.

History buffs/very old Thailand hands, do you know if ever alcohol fueled and elections related violent incidents became such a nuisance that this rule had to be put in place?

Let's hope the convicted ex mayor and scourge of Patong does not win. That guy has done nothing for Patong but turn it into a cesspool, while lining his and his son's pockets. I love his slogan, " vote for me and you'll get rich". What he forgot to add was " just like me".

• Like 1

Let's hope the convicted ex mayor and scourge of Patong does not win. That guy has done nothing for Patong but turn it into a cesspool, while lining his and his son's pockets. I love his slogan, " vote for me and you'll get rich". What he forgot to add was " just like me".

He's certainly been instrumental in holding Patong back from reaching it's full potential.

One can only wonder how many tourists do not return here now, because of his admistration, and his son's stranglehold on local transport.

They have both done huge damage to the tourism industry here, but particularly more so in recent times.

I hope the Thai people can look past a few baht in their hand today, for the greater good from tomorrow, but I doubt it.

Edited by NamKangMan

Difficult to explain the alcohol/elections rule to tourists, I always say that with a hangover they would vote for the wrong party or candidate.

History buffs/very old Thailand hands, do you know if ever alcohol fueled and elections related violent incidents became such a nuisance that this rule had to be put in place?

The idea behind the election alcohol ban obviously is that people who are sober have better judgment.

I remember that almost 20 years ago I joined some Thai friends and attended a political propaganda manifestation in Hua Hin. It was held the evening before a local election of some kind. Hundreds of tables and chairs, a big stage with people giving speeches, widely ignored by the crowd who concentrated on the free flow of Saengsom. A good time was had by all.

I can imagine the alcohol ban has something to do with this kind of vote manipulation. Get the whole village drunk and then assist them with voting. Maybe the ban is outdated or maybe it is not.

Hope yes!

Chances of happening? less than 5%