Has anyone ever heard of 5 Million baht sin sod being asked before.

WayneThompson

So my GF is pregnant and so we decided its a good time to get married. Whilst we are madly in love, this is in part to keep her older conservative siblings happy. She is 30 and the youngest of 12. Her mother is still around but her father is deceased.

She has told her family of our plans and they have come back saying they want me to pay 5 million baht sin sod. I think this is to buy a house in Bangkok with so that we can live there.

Has anyone heard of this amount before?

I've lived in Thailand for a few years and I've never heard of it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I understand it "sin sot" is based on her station in life. Just how rich is the family? I'd say they would have to be very well off if they are asking for 5M. Also, she should have never been married before or have kids. Her age can also comes into play.

Yes, if the family is honest, then you should get much of that money back, but if they buy a house and put it in your wife's name then you can kiss that money goodbye if you divorce. If you can't easily afford 5M then you shouldn't be paying that much. For 5M she and her family better be pretty "hi-so".

I'm sure you know you can't own land, but you can own a house as long as you can prove it by paperwork; receipts and such.

Good luck.

cheesy.gif Five Million Baht That is nothing but a Joke Is she a Superstar with A TV program then maybe 5 million

Offer them 200,000 and be done with it. They see Farang and Think RICH FOREIGNER .

All I can say is if you pay 5 million your stupid. 100,000 is average and 200.000 is very generous I know I married Thai with Masters degree and she comes from a Good upper class Family

Good luck cheesy.gif

Edited by realenglish1
  • Like 1

Would you buy your wife back home?

Sinsod put woman in a position to be negotiated over by the family, even if they call it culture it's bad!

You can get legally married at the local tessabaan office for 300 Baht if I remember right. You will need proof of you embassy that you are entitled to marry (single or divorced). With the right documents it's done in half an hour.

This is so annoying.........Yeah its all well and good to show off huge amounts of sinsod at a wedding whether for real or just for show but the reality of it when a farang is involved is that it sets dangerous precedents..

Once 1 pays then every local village girl wants the same regardless of social standing.

My ex's family asked me for 1,000,000 to marry her and even though yes they were a decent family and she was well educated and in the police it just seemed a crazy amount to ask. Seems 1 mill is the new round figure they all aspire to.

But 5,000,000 wow! that really is a figure you should be wary of, if they really intend to purchase a house with it then make damn sure you have a good lawyer set something up for you for if thing go pear shaped.

If you really cannot afford to lose that money i would advise you to think twice. Speak to your gf, if she really loves you then she should help you with her families demands. If she does not then i would run a mile as it sounds like a setup.

Edited by pacman32

Marry her outside of Thailand. That confuses the whole sin sod bs.

5 million is about 5 million more than I paid.

If you aren't trolling us, her family is trolling you.

Gooooood Luck mate!....you will need it by the sounds.

She is used goods,pay nothing,what are they gunna do.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif Five Million Baht That is nothing but a Joke Is she a Superstar with A TV program then maybe 5 million

Offer them 200,000 and be done with it. They see Farang and Think RICH FOREIGNER .

All I can say is if you pay 5 million your stupid. 100,000 is average and 200.000 is very generous I know I married Thai with Masters degree and she comes from a Good upper class Family

Good luck cheesy.gif

200,000 he wishes

12 sibling plus 1 mam works out at nearly 400000 each...............

why do i get the feeling its still april 1st clap2.gif

You say "Whilst we are madly in love, this is in part to keep her older conservative siblings happy."

Already doomed from the start if you are partly marrying her to keep ger family happy. Shouldnt it be a 100% bond between you and her, nothing to do with her family.

• Like 2

Blindly being ripped off.. If a thai is killed in a road accident the family receive thb50,000. To wed one whom you've already got pregnant should be nothing like 5m.

Ask how they have arrived at such a figure.....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1