Has anyone ever heard of 5 Million baht sin sod being asked before.

WayneThompson

I wouldn't pay a satang. First I would make sure the child is mine by DNA. Then I would wait until the baby is born. Then I would give the family an ultimatum. Do they want me to stick around and support the daughter and the child and help the parents a bit, or do they want me to return to my home country (bluff.)

I would continue to live with the lady unmarried (if we were in love) and continue this until either the gf or the parents agreed to a simple wedding with no bride price.

Actually I would never get married but this is what I would do in this situation.

The OP is holding all of the cards if his gf loves him.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the youngest, it will be her responsibility to take care of her parents in old age.

Such a monetary request may be a way to guarantee her ability to fulfill her obligations.

However, Sin Sod is not always required or even asked. Many parents return the money to help the newlyweds build their lives.

When I married, my wife agreed that any Sin Sod would be wasted on her parents, as they always squander every penny they receive.

I have twice married Thai women and never paid Sin Sod, instead, I built houses for the parents.

As the youngest, it will be her responsibility to take care of her parents in old age.

Such a monetary request may be a way to guarantee her ability to fulfill her obligations.

However, Sin Sod is not always required or even asked. Many parents return the money to help the newlyweds build their lives.

When I married, my wife agreed that any Sin Sod would be wasted on her parents, as they always squander every penny they receive.

I have twice married Thai women and never paid Sin Sod, instead, I built houses for the parents.

Call it whatever you choose, but you paid sin sot!!

• Like 2

Let me just add that there is no village, they live in bkk.

there are no debts. They are pretty loaded.

12 kids at 5 million a wedding? Yeah...they loaded.

In England its the womens farther that pays for the wedding

Same, same

Same, same

So you paid sin sot too DLP?? 2 houses = a bucket load of sin sot to my way of thinking.

Sin Sod in my case was the sod bit as in sod off. Thai culture but I am western and its not western culture. its to show of and mouth off to everybody how much they got. No worries if she is madly in love with you.

I offered to match what the Thai father of my wifes child gave and I did, soone baht,

Best advice is on first page buy a 5 million house and 30 year lease, then you cant be kicked out for 30 years by the other 11 circling predators.

Edited by marstons

Same, same

So you paid sin sot too DLP?? 2 houses = a bucket load of sin sot to my way of thinking.

No i have never paid sin sod. What i meant by same,same is that if you give money or give house its still the same thing

Same, same

No i have never paid sin sod. What i meant by same,same is that if you give money or give house its still the same thing

OK DLP, understood. You're not a sin sod/t sucker. Good man. Now all we have to do is educate the rest who have been or will be suckers.

We should be able to claim a percentage of whatever we save poor misguided guys.

I have a good friend, has been since we were at school together 50+ years ago, and I recall getting him off smoking when he was about 20. Almost every time I have a beer with him I jokingly remind him that he owes me half of what I saved him. Back then fags were 50 cents a pack, now $15.00, so an average of $7.75, and he smoked a pack and a half a day, so about $11.50 a day average over almost 40 years. He saved almost $170,000, and that doesn't include any earnings on that money.

I reckon if anybody on TV is saved by posters here he should kick the can for half.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Sin Sod in my case was the sod bit as in sod off. Thai culture but I am western and its not western culture. its to show of and mouth off to everybody how much they got. No worries if she is madly in love with you.

I offered to match what the Thai father of my wifes child gave and I did, soone baht,

Best advice is on first page buy a 5 million house and 30 year lease, then you cant be kicked out for 30 years by the other 11 circling predators.

No you can't be kicked out, but they sure as heck can make your life a misery.....so much so you will be begging to get out. Such laws don't protect anyone against vengeful or nasty relatives.

• 2 weeks later...

WE or they?!? I think you are dreaming when you understand that they force you to buy a house for yourself and your future wife...

You get what you negotiate. What's new?

It should be a gesture, JMHO and don't feed people's greed and give in to outlandish demands!

Certainly do not assume that the money will be there for you lovebirds to build and feather a nice nest...

I would give only 30 baht who do they think they are. They are not selling a women for business, unless she is a whole. 5 million you buy many where for many years. Use your brain and find a good traditional women.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would give only 30 baht who do they think they are. They are not selling a women for business, unless she is a whore. 5 million you buy many whores for many years. Use your brain and find a good traditional women.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably should have known better than to post on this forum. Thanks to those who provided intelligent discourse.

You have a nerve WT.

If you think that those pouring scorn on the sin sot system are not providing intelligent discourse, you deserve to be taken for a sucker......and you will be.

Edited by F4UCorsair

You have a nerve WT.

If you think that those pouring scorn on the sin sot system are not providing intelligent discourse, you deserve to be taken for a sucker......and you will be.

I have nothing against people voicing an opinion and that's what I came here for. Whilst there are some great posts if you read through the thread the majority of posts don't provide any argument with reason, context or perspective. This negates their usefulness and provides clutter when reading through.

As a Thai, I would say the amount of Sin Sod reflects the girl's social status, family background and education. If she is a well-educated from a wealthy family with a nice job then you can expect it to be in millions (or more if her family is very wealthy).

Secondly, it also depends on the boyfriend's wealth and capacity to pay for Sin Sod. If the guy is extremely wealthy, then the Sin Sod amount would be high.

If the guy doesn't have a lot of money, there really are understanding parents out there who won't rob you with the amount of dowry (there are but very unlikely if money is a prominent factor in your relationship i.e. they only like you because they think you're rich).

Keep in mind that Sin Sod amount CAN be negotiated. If you can't pay when they're asking for, then go talk to them and explain. If you really don't want to pay, then don't. As a lot of Thais believes foreigners are all rich and 5 million is nothing for you guys, in your case, I think the parents just ask 5 million because they think they can and that you will pay, given that your girlfriend is an average middle-class Thai. Yes, 5 million is way too high. Do negotiate with them.

In regards to where the money will go to, it really depends on the parents. If they are just happy for you to be together, they will probably return you the money.

I know a lot of foreigners never get the money back because especially in cases where the girl is poor because they see you as ATM.

As a Thai, I would say the amount of Sin Sod reflects the girl's social status, family background and education. If she is a well-educated from a wealthy family with a nice job then you can expect it to be in millions (or more if her family is very wealthy).

Secondly, it also depends on the boyfriend's wealth and capacity to pay for Sin Sod. If the guy is extremely wealthy, then the Sin Sod amount would be high.

If the guy doesn't have a lot of money, there really are understanding parents out there who won't rob you with the amount of dowry (there are but very unlikely if money is a prominent factor in your relationship i.e. they only like you because they think you're rich).

Keep in mind that Sin Sod amount CAN be negotiated. If you can't pay when they're asking for, then go talk to them and explain. If you really don't want to pay, then don't. As a lot of Thais believes foreigners are all rich and 5 million is nothing for you guys, in your case, I think the parents just ask 5 million because they think they can and that you will pay, given that your girlfriend is an average middle-class Thai. Yes, 5 million is way too high. Do negotiate with them.

In regards to where the money will go to, it really depends on the parents. If they are just happy for you to be together, they will probably return you the money.

I know a lot of foreigners never get the money back because especially in cases where the girl is poor because they see you as ATM.

Post # 1, contentious subject, very good, almost impeccable English, but you're Thai?

I smell a troll folks.

I'm a Thai guy and I think this is stupid. If I were a farang I wouldn't pay for this crap. Screw them. Basically they just want to rip you off and bleed you dry. #sick

And another one??

It may be time for TV mods to take a look at some of the IP addresses of those posting here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You say "Whilst we are madly in love, this is in part to keep her older conservative siblings happy."

Already doomed from the start if you are partly marrying her to keep ger family happy. Shouldnt it be a 100% bond between you and her, nothing to do with her family.

That's where you are wrong misterphil, it has everything to do with her family, she have a 100% bond to her family and 0% bond to her BF thumbsup.gif Welcome to Thailand!

Probably correct. But if so, then what is the point of getting married to a Thai

girl, if you are nothing more than a walking ATM card to be milked

and barely tolerated ??

I got married last year and went down this road too, I didn't want to offend the family and I certainly wanted to show I was committed. I ended up presenting $999,999.00THB because this is what my wife (to be) wanted on the wedding day. Key word here "presenting" The family didn't want anything but I too was very concerned. The bottom line is "how much are you comfortable with giving, knowing that you might not get it back?"

I got all back but ended up giving $100kTHB and insisted they take it. All happy one year down, family happy, wife happy and I am happy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

For movie stars and daughters of tycoons the sky is the limit but for normal middle class people 5 million is rather high. I hear reports of so and so paid a million and that seems regarded as pretty good. However, if it is just a face thing and the money is going straight back to you to help buy a house that you are planning to put the money into anyway, I don't see a problem. Otherwise, I would suggest 1 million should be the upper limit but really 300,000-500,000 should be enough. I know several guys who paid 100,000 after just telling their fiancees firmly that was all they would pay.

Realistically she is not worth anything at all on the free market now after living with a farang for years and being knocked up. Your bargaining power is higher than you think. In the worst case, just agree with your fiancee to register your marriage discretely without having a Thai ceremony. Then no need for an expensive reception or any sinsod.