received a text from Bangkok Bank-hopefully a mistake

Maybe just go to a nearby branch, or ATM, and check your recent account activity? Or update your passbook. As it is you are flying blind

I did find out the vendor where the charge was put through. It is an European travel website--never heard of it and used it for booking air ticket.

Sorry, is this a new charge? Or one of the previous two? How did you get this detail?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: This morning when I woke up, I had received another message giving me another OTP code for a purchase requested at 5:00am...sleeping again. I immediately called the bank, gave the prior investigation code number and was told "someone probably made a mistake entering their phone number....just wait until the bank calls you"

Orchidlady, two days ago on the 27th in the wake of the prior fraudulent charges, you posted as follows:

The account is frozen the card has been cancelled.

So, at this point, have you already obtained from the bank a new/replacement debit card that's valid? Or you only have the supposedly cancelled/frozen original card?

Normally, once an account is frozen and a card cancelled, the bank certainly would not allow any subsequent charges against an already cancelled debit card number.

Also normally, you can immediately check any recent transactions for your account by using the BKK Bank automated phone system, just call in, enter your card and PIN number, and use the menu system. Of course, if you had online banking, you'd likewise be able to do the same from any computer or smartphone/tablet.

But if your account and/or card is really frozen as you said, then the bank's systems may not allow access through the normal means. Normally in such cases, the bank will simply cancel the fraud involved card, but the underlying account remains open and active. In this case, only you are going to know exactly what the bank has done with your account and its related debit card.

I would also have thought that any existing IPay registration for a card would likewise die in the event that particular card and number have been cancelled.

Waiting until mid May to go to your home branch, regardless of your work obligations, sounds like a very poor way of dealing with your apparent problems, especially if you're still at risk financially.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

May I suggest that after you get this corrected to make a few changes.

Don't use your Visa Card for ATM Machines unless it is a real emergency. Get 2 separate cards from your bank. One for bank withdraws and ATM's only, with a much lower daily limit, and a separate Visa Card, which you use very sparingly. For reasons I will explain now.

Most people use their Visa Cards carelessly when they come Overseas. Or should I say like they do back home. I should know as I was one of them. Now I am going to tell you not to do this anymore and why. But first how people use them here and back home.

You go to a restaurant in Pattaya and flash your Gold Visa or Platinum Card to show everyone you have money. I prefer Gold as to me it looks better, but either is an instant $5,000 in credit, or more, if you are worthy. You are now off to buy a pair of running shoes with this card, and your groceries. You line up ahead of everyone at the front desk of a 3 Star Hotel flashing your Visa Card again. Showing everyone you could afford a nicer hotel but decided on this one as you now expect better service and no hassle with Room Service.

Hell! You (meaning all people in general and not you personally) would even pay the Tuk-tuk Driver with your Visa Card if he would accept it! But did you ever stop to think of who you are giving this Gold Card to, and the information he or she can get from that? Of how much money $5,000 is to them? Or even to sell this information for $100 so someone else can copy your Card with a Counterfeit one, and with a little practice writing your name on the back use anywhere? Probably not as I didn't. I thought Computer Chips was supposed to correct that! But if this is what you do you will get cheated one day for sure.

Until I smartened-up to this I had this happen to me quite a few times, as I had travelled a lot. But most recently about 5 years ago it happened to me twice in about 6 months in Thailand. The first time I was as I described and used my card everywhere. But after that I realised I needed to be more careful so would only use my Visa for major expenses, like Hotel Rooms, Air Plane Tickets, and such.

But for Thailand this was not good enough. I was sure the first time was some culprit in a small restaurant I had only visited once as his prices were sky high and realized he was a tourist trap. But it wasn't him. It was the least obvious one of all to me. It was the nice hotel I stayed in 2 times in a row. It was surprising but not difficult to figure out as I only used my new Visa Card at this one place (again). But again the information was stolen and someone in the USA was trying to buy computer equipment with it from a computer company, which did not exist.

I don't need to tell you what a pain it is to be away and find out someone is using your Credit Card like it was water. To explain all this to your bank hoping they believe you. It was easy in my case because as I was talking to the bank someone was in a different country trying to use it at the exact same time. Can't win a LOTTO but can have this happen to me day in and day out. Also the stress of cancelling your card and then waiting for a new one. The expense of having it couriered to you as you are away from your home and the bank won't send it anyplace else. Say a few "Hale Marys"' every time you stick your ATM Card in the machine as if it gets stuck or something goes wrong, then you are really screwed.

But I have smartened-up to this and I have never had a problem since. I only use my Visa Card in one place which is the bank. But also always at the say bank and never more than 1 time a month. From that card I have never had a problem pulling out at least 150,000 Baht although I have pulled more at one time. That is what I use to live on. If I ran short I used to use my Bank Card for the ATM but don't do that anymore unless it is an emergency. I used it one time on Soi 7 and the bastard got stuck and didn't come back.

Sure, go to the bank that owns the ATM Machine and they will give it back to you. Well that is just false security and B.S.! They will not give it back to you! They will give it back to your bank, which doesn't help if you are over here and they are over their. So after dicking around for a day and angry I had to order a new one from the bank vowing to never use it in an ATM Machine again either.

I have only had small troubles using Cash Only at hotels, including 5 Star Hotels, but none that are not easily fixed. I just tell them how my card was abused by a hotel and tell them I now refuse to use it their. Strange how they are all so understanding of this, as if they do that themselves. I then show them my Visa Card, but don't give it to them. I just put a deposit down in cash, which is usually less then the room price, and then no problem with charging to your room or room service.

I suppose renting a car without Visa may be a problem. I don't know as I never had to do that yet. But for the small amount of times I would rent a car, the chances are very little that it would be the time it was abused. But if I did have to use my Visa it would be the only place that month so I could track them down. I have used my card with air lines like Lufthansa, but again rarely and never a problem..

I never use Visa in an ATM because I.used it once in the Barcelona Airport, after I missed my flight, and after I put her in...She No Come Back! Do you know what it feels like to be in a strange country where everyone around you can't understand a bloody word you are saying, with no place to sleep that night and perhaps enough money to buy a hamburger? Well not good! But after sitting in despair for about 15 minutes, and trying to figure out what I will do next, I saw my Visa Card pop back out. So that will be the last time she will ever see a machine again!

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would use a Cell Phone to do there banking? Unless you are some Commodity Trader who is making several trades day and on the go all the time. I use Online Banking from the Internet. I shift money around different accounts, pay Visa, buy stocks, and everything else this way. I can see what I am doing, and go back in history for years, so I don't need to wait for a text message to tell me all my money is gone, But then now I only use my Visa Card once every two months, don't shift money around too much, or trade too many stocks, and don't use my Bank Debit Card at all. So why would I need a cell phone to check my bank account while I am relaxing having beer or eating out? . .

OK, I do use verified by visa so I had signed up for iPay

But, you didn't know what you had signed up for.......including the OTP feature?

In the past I have made maybe 1 purchase a month using verified by visa.

Well, if that was truly a Verified by Visa purchase, meaning it was online, and with a vendor signed up for VbV -- then you would have gotten the OTP to conclude the purchase. Presumably this wasn't the case (i.e, actually not an online purchase, or vendor was not registered with VbV) -- or otherwise why would you have started this thread due to the complete surprise (and non understanding) of the OTP you received at 2:30AM? Or, you did understand the OTP system -- but it didn't compute as to why you received one when you hadn't made an online purchase?

If the latter, all's I can say is -- Duh.

Sounds like you're an excellent candidate for 'cash and carry only, ' like Goldbuggy. However, in today's world, navigating completely without plastic would be too tedious -- unless you live under a bridge.

Sorry for the jabs -- but just too many loose ends on this thread.

The card was frozen, I can't make any purchases with it, take money out of my atm(Have to go in person) and I thought the account was frozen. This was the 3rd unauthorized withdrawal and was done after the card was frozen.

I am being sent all over N Thailand to teach basic English skills to Thai teachers. I am in seminars for 10 hours except lunch. up country out in the boonies then I come back to Bangkok for half a day to 1 day. Then I go out again for another week or so. I am not back in Bangkok until May 7 this trip. which i why I am limited to talking to them on the phone. My latest calls to 1333 line results in them telling me to wait until the investigator gets in touch with me. I was told the name of the website the unauthorized charges went through to. Tomorrow I am going to leave early for lunch and start up late so I can look for a branch and go inside to withdraw my cash.

I don't use a US Bank card here.I had charges made to my credit card on my first trip to Thailand 7 years(while I was flying back to US) so I have used mostly cash. When I have to use credit card ( I use the visa on the debit card_ to buy air tickets, pay for hotels) and occasional online purchases from "deal websites" in Bangkok so maybe once or twice a month the card is used...otherwise I have paid cash.

Edited by orchidlady

The card was frozen, I can't make any purchases with it, take money out of my atm(Have to go in person) and I thought the account was frozen. This was the 3rd unauthorized withdrawal and was done after the card was frozen.

Not familiar with "frozen." In the US, upon fraudulent activity, the card is "cancelled," which completely precludes any further transactions against that card.

But, any unauthorized withdrawals after you reported fraud, and thus had the card "frozen" (again, whatever that means.....), should not be your responsibility. If that turns out not to be the case, please let us know -- and we'll go picket the buggers.

Do you have a bank account in the US? Can you get a credit card from them? Suggest you do.

When I have to use credit card ( I use the visa on the debit card

Debit cards, although able to be used exactly like a credit card, are more bothersome in fraud situations.

http://www.flyerguide.com/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Can't imagine what problems you had seven years ago with a "credit" card -- unless you're actually talking about a "debit" card used in the credit mode. Much easier to refund a credit card's credit -- than restock your depleted bank account tied to a debit card.

you had at least indicated back then that you were setting your POS to off then.

Nope, never did it. At least I've never used the 1333/Call Center before.

I might have made this change/request in person when I got my new chipped Be1st card, and changed my mobile number? But I don't think I did then either.

The good news is that my PoS is set to zero, now I just have to confirm that by trying a purchase.

When the wife and I opened another Bangkok Bank joint account late last year during the application process they asked what limits you want set on the debit card for POS and ATM...it's a couple of boxes that are checked on the application form.

Smart and prudent move...

Then, once you've done that, as I have also, anytime you might want to use the card for an online purchase or actual POS purchase, you can just call Bualuang Banking and use their automated phone system to change the setting, and then change back to NO POS when done.

It's a bit of a hassle. But it's better than having your BKK Bank (or other Thai bank debit) card lost or stolen, and having bunches of swipe and sign purchases used to steal your funds -- which the bank is unlikely to reimburse you for.

UPDATE I received a partial refund of the money taken out of my account. I say partial because the explanantion given to me by the bank call center (and verified by Thai native who is also fluent in English) is that Visa refunds the money based on equivalent amount in dollars and then it's converted to baht (even though my account is in baht). So I got back about 90%. They said i can contact Visa to complain about the shortfall due to conversion. I know the first time(and only time I had a similar problem with US credit card during my first trip to Thailand) the US bank refunded the exact amount taken out (fraudulent cash advance in Spain) even if charge was done in foreign country--currency conversion was not used as in this case. Has anyone had a similar experience with Visa reimbursement?

I got a new card, set POS limit to zero and will receive an sms for all card usage. They admitted the verified by visa only works if the online merchant follows through with the process.

• Like 1

OP, good call taking the money out of the account immediately. In Thailand need to have a plan to protect yourself financially, hopefully before you even come here.

You need to protect yourself first, then let the bank deal with the fraud on their own timeline. When something like this happens, immediately transfer all money out of that account to another one of your bank accounts which you don't even carry the atm card (the account you use for savings as no one in Thailand would ever carry an atm card around with their life savings attached to it!). Right away your money is protected, case 90% closed. Now wait for the investigation.

Also, never ever use a debit card for any kind of purchases in Thailand. You've probably noticed you don't need to enter your pin when making a purchase here. Someone could easily just keep swiping your card. For routine purchases here use cash, or online a Thai credit card is ok (not an atm card!), just don't have such a high limit that if it gets compromised it hurts you financially. If that still worries you the best way is to use your credit card from back home since that offers first world protection of fraudulent purchases.

Either way, this thread is a lesson to everyone here to never leave any excess cash in an account that you have an atm card for or make online purchases with. Simply keep your savings in a separate account, even in another bank, and transfer funds into your spending account as needed. Then you can sleep well at night.

• Like 1

Smart and prudent move...

Then, once you've done that, as I have also, anytime you might want to use the card for an online purchase or actual POS purchase, you can just call Bualuang Banking and use their automated phone system to change the setting, and then change back to NO POS when done.

It's a bit of a hassle. But it's better than having your BKK Bank (or other Thai bank debit) card lost or stolen, and having bunches of swipe and sign purchases used to steal your funds -- which the bank is unlikely to reimburse you for.

Well John I guess OP has proved as has often been said on here you have no idea what you are talking about. You have zero first hand experience of how Thai banks handle fraud.

You must have posted hundreds perhaps thousands of times that Thai banks offer "no protection" and "Visa's zero loss policy does not apply in Thailand" and "banks are unlikely to reimburse you" for fraud etc etc etc despite people working in the banking industry here telling you otherwise.

What really is a shame is that you actually drive away the people who know what they are talking about. You were a major contributor in the BKK Bank guys stopping posting on here - who might have otherwise been able to help OP.

I wish you would stop posting such cr*p. Your misinterpretations and misunderstandings are a disservice to many.

Perhaps you'd like to explain how Thai banks that offer "zero protection for fraud" and are "unlikely to reimburse you" have reimbursed OP?

Edited by fletchsmile

I never said Thai banks never reimburse in cases of fraud. I have said, many times, they have no legal requirement or guarantee to do so, unlike in the U.S. where that protection is part of federal law.

And, the forum pages here are filled with reports by TV members, not by me, who have had their Thai cards compromised and been turned away by their Thai banks when seeking compensation.

Good on the OP here, if the circumstances and/or her own efforts were successful in getting most of her money back.

It's only unfortunate that that kind of success seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, especially in individual cases -- as opposed to systemic ones like when they uncover clear cases of ATMs being compromised and numerous victims.

It's only unfortunate that that kind of success seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, especially in individual cases -- as opposed to systemic ones like when they uncover clear cases of ATMs being compromised and numerous victims.

There you go again. You just cant help yourself can you?

It s like a variation on a combination of autism and Tourret's syndrome. Narrow obsessive focus with ill founded insults about Thailand and banking. Plus something you really know very little about.

You need to get out in the real world more and meet real people.

You cant extrapolate what you read on Thai Visa or hearsay and bar stories as being an accurate reflection of life in Thailand and how the country works

There are thousands of cases of fraud and banking issues and believe it or not they dont all get posted on TVisa or websites.

It s just plain rubbish to say that getting reimbursed and fraud protection is the exception rather than the rule.

Fletch :)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by fletchsmile

So, since you're so well informed, please do post here any BOT or Bangkok Bank policy, since that happened to be the bank in the OP's case, that spells out just how Thai cardholders are protected.

I've been here for years, and through all these forum debates, and have never seen a single such thing.

So, since you're so well informed, please do post here any BOT or Bangkok Bank policy, since that happened to be the bank in the OP's case, that spells out just how Thai cardholders are protected.

I've been here for years, and through all these forum debates, and have never seen a single such thing.

Oh well if you haven't seen it and it's not on Thai Visa then it can't exist can it? laugh.png

You should listen to yourself sometimes. "You've been here for years and in all these forum debates..." You're living in dreamworld and need to get out more.

Do you really think Thai Visa is the place where Thai banking experts come to discuss and debate banking issues? I can count on one hand the number of people working for Thai banks that actively post on here. Two perhaps if we count people that have stopped posting

Yes I know you've been here for years, I remember you arriving. I remember meeting you once as well not long after you'd arrived. I've also read the misinformation and misunderstandings you've contributed to over the years. You started with statements like "no protection", then "little or no protection" and slowly amend your phrases as you slowly learn a little more, with your attitude of once you've seen it or read it now it's real whereas previously it wasn't

As I've posted before there's loads of info out there. But you're not going to find it sat in front of a computer googling English and reading websites.

As for links, as you seem to have a lot of time on your hands to continuously cast the same aspersions:

- If you insist on reading as your sole source: even read things like the Thai Civil and Commercial and Code in English, you'd realise that when you make statements like banks not accepting responsibility for their employees who commit fraud etc, you're just talking rubbish. Then FIBA 2551 as basic grounding. These are just the tip of the iceberg tho'

- One would have thought by now that you'd realise the majority of legislation and notifications is in Thai. Just because you aren't aware of it, or can't read it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For example you should notice that the English version of the FCC has very little compared to the Thai version of the website:

http://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialLiteracy/Pages/index.aspx

http://www.bot.or.th/Thai/FinancialLiteracy/Pages/index_o.aspx

- If you want specific subjects, the BOT's Thai website has a world of information on different topics in Thai.

- You also need to understand that all Thai regulations don't come in a single book there are new regulations, updates, notices and announcements come out all the time - and no not always in English either. When you say little or no consumer protection had you read announcements like the following summary of updates?:

http://www2.bot.or.th/fipcs/Documents/FPG/2551/ThaiPDF/fiba_notification(new).pdf

Even you can see the odd word like "consumer protection". What then happens is they refer to other announcements and other regulations. You won't get anywhere near this stuff googling English and reading Thai Visa

So that should get you started.... Perhaps if you spent more time understanding Thailand and learning the language you'd spend less time insulting things you know little about.

Fletch :)

You're good at throwing a lot of text and links at the wall, but obviously not so good at answering either of the challenges I offered above:

--post BKK Bank's cardholder liability policy, and/or

--post any BOT regulation pertaining to cardholder liability.

In the past, apart from anything occurring here on ThaiVisa, I've spoken on the telephone with fraud staff at BKK Bank, and was told by the individual I spoke with what I've often recounted here: the bank's general policy is that cardholders are responsible for any expenses prior to them reporting their card lost or stolen.

Your banking buddies at one point promised to share the bank's cardholder liability policy here, but they never did. Despite repeated requests. The fact that such a policy can't be found anywhere on the bank's website, at least in English AFAIK, is telling in and of itself.

And, as regards the BOT, some time back prior to their launching their Consumer section, I also reached out to their staff by telephone with the same question re their policies. I spoke with a supervisor there who promised to check on the subject and contact me back. I waited the requested time for a call that never came. Called back, and could only leave messages. Did that several times. Still never got any call back.

It kind of gives the impression that cardholder liability in Thailand isn't something these folks are particularly anxious to talk about.

You're good at throwing a lot of text and links at the wall, but obviously not so good at answering either of the challenges I offered above:

--post BKK Bank's cardholder liability policy, and/or

--post any BOT regulation pertaining to cardholder liability.

In the past, apart from anything occurring here on ThaiVisa, I've spoken on the telephone with fraud staff at BKK Bank, and was told by the individual I spoke with what I've often recounted here: the bank's general policy is that cardholders are responsible for any expenses prior to them reporting their card lost or stolen.

Your banking buddies at one point promised to share the bank's cardholder liability policy here, but they never did. Despite repeated requests. The fact that such a policy can't be found anywhere on the bank's website, at least in English AFAIK, is telling in and of itself.

And, as regards the BOT, some time back prior to their launching their Consumer section, I also reached out to their staff by telephone with the same question re their policies. I spoke with a supervisor there who promised to check on the subject and contact me back. I waited the requested time for a call that never came. Called back, and could only leave messages. Did that several times. Still never got any call back.

It kind of gives the impression that cardholder liability in Thailand isn't something these folks are particularly anxious to talk about.

Well I've given you the means to start educating yourself...

I'm well aware that whatever is posted you'll nit-pick some minor detail and misinterpret or misread it as you have hours to spend doing so. Or shift the argument slightly as above.

From my perspective I'm happy I understand the way things work and feel no need to waste time satisfying you on each and every minor point. It also feels like trying to teach advanced mathematics to a five year old in a different language, with the kid being deliberately difficult and insists they already know it all already because they read it on the internet somewhere.

What I occasionally do from time to time is add some balance to your ridiculous statement like "getting compensated by fraud being the exception rather than the rule", "little or no protection", "banks accept no responsibility for fradulent employees" add nauseum. It perpetuates myths and untruths that are not in the interests of people living in Thailand and posting on TV when trying to make the right balanced decisions for them and lives here. The BKK bank guys you often criticise actually tried to do more in their own time and were under no obligations. Unfortunately you can't see a good thing when you see it.

You forget some people on here just genuinely post to try and help others, and don't have time to spend hours anally beating dead horses. There's no obligation for anyone to bother with you at all. You're just not that important. Get over it.

As to why BKK Bank didn't post things you'd have to ask them. If you were half way decent at building relationships and trust you'd get or already have an answer to that, even if it had to be offline. If I had to guess it would be either: 1) they decided you weren't worth the hassle as whatever they post you will dispute. As you are aware they frequently raised that in the past. 2) They got blocked in some way, eg by compliance on getting clearance to post on an unregulated website. Banks have strict internal policies on what can be publicly disclosed (sometimes by regulators also) as well as where. Furthermore even released with the best of intentions there are people like yourself that could potentially abuse that information, misuse it etc. Clearance is often needed as banks can't have just anyone posting anything anywhere. Perhaps even a combination of the two.

Personally I don't need to see BKK Bank's policies anyway. What they described is similar to other banks processes and procedures and my own professional and personal experiences. That you've no first hand experience of this or don't believe it is simply your problem.

Your last sentence is almost accurate, I'd just change it a little to say people don't want to talk to YOU about it. I can fully see how anyone you approach would do their best to just git rid of you. In a Thai context Thais often don't want to engage in conflict, and will often try and take the most comfortable route for everyone. On the other hand you thrive on conflict and arguing particularly on minor details, so no surprise you struggle getting your answers. You haven't worked it out yet that people just think you're not that important to waste time on.

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

Fletch, more of your same style.. a lot of personal insults...and no useful information. You have quite a habit about that. Seems you really don't like to discuss the issue of consumer rights in the world of Thai banking.

Unlike you, I had quite a good and extended conversation with the BKK Bank fraud department, and they answered my question as I explained above. And what they said, fits together with the other bank policies I've previously posted -- that Thai banks generally have policies to hold the cardholder responsible for charges up to the time they report a card lost or stolen. But yes, as the OP case indicates, they also will make exceptions if convinced the circumstances warrant it.

For me, I prefer told hold and use bank cards such as those from the U.S., where the policies start out presuming in cases of fraud that the cardholder is the victim (not the perpetrator) and generally are aimed at restoring the loss, as opposed to the opposite in the Thai case where cardholders have to beg and plead with the banks here in hopes of getting anything restored.

As for the BOT, it apparently hasn't dawned on you that Thai government bureaucrats aren't the world's most responsive or helpful individuals as a general rule, especially to average citizens and farangs. And that trait seems to be particularly true among bankers.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Fletch, more of your same style.. a lot of personal insults...and no useful information. You have quite a habit about that. Seems you really don't like to discuss the issue of consumer rights in the world of Thai banking.

As for the BOT, it apparently hasn't dawned on you that Thai government bureaucrats aren't the world's most responsive or helpful individuals as a general rule, especially to average citizens and farangs. And that trait seems to be particularly true among bankers.

Not really my fault if you can t follow the useful hints and links.

I referenced you two of the most important pieces of legislation for understanding banking and company law as a foundation to build on.

Then explained how legislation is somewhat additive and not all in a single place or book. Somewhat like US tax law.

One of the other links is the most recent update that summarises a list of the most important notifications and updates in the last couple of years including consumer protection. Including links to the actual notifications text. I happened to be using so had at hand. Should you start looking at some of the legislation you d see links references and footnotes to other key docs and preceding key legislation.

On another link it gives an idea of what FCC have been working on and their knowledege resources they are starting to produce.

As for BOT they have come a long way in the last 17 years I ve been dealing with them. They have some very intelligent and helpful people there these days. Of course you need respect and tact among other qualities in dealing with them, so I can understand how your experience differs.

Fletch:)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by fletchsmile

Finally received a call from the investigations person at BK Bank. She told me the money was refunded after I found out about 8 days ago by going into the branch. Her story about the difference in the money taken out vs what was refunded was that the merchant refunded the money in dollars and then it was converted to baht. I asked about Visa's zero liability policy and she couldn't explain.I said the vendor should suffer any currency conversions when they don't use verified by Visa . They obviously have a name for the issued plane tickets. She also couldn't explain how two transactions were taken out of my account on the same day but I only got one OTP code. I was told before it was due to Visa requiring money to be paid in dollars and my Thai friend was told the same line.

She also couldn't explain how two transactions were taken out of my account on the same day but I only got one OTP code.

....... because those two transactions involved merchants who had not signed up for VbV, i.e., purchases *could* be made with them without the need for the OTP. But you got the one OTP for a third purchase the thief tried to make (unsuccessfully, obviously) with a merchant signed up for VbV. What's so hard to understand about that?