Farang slandering by Thais

Cow San Load

If they know you can speak Thai then they say nothing, if they know you are a "stupid farang" then they witter on about us to their hearts content. Bless. A clue to those who don't speak Thai just listen for the word "farang", they can't take a breath without saying the word.

But you can't speak Thai can you, or at least not beyond the very basic....and I mean basic. Hard to think of any other reason for coming out with such an asinine comment. Or maybe it's just the company you keep. Speaking personally after years of travelling into work on the skytrain,+ years of using the bus before the skytrain was built, whenever I heard the word "farang" used in a derogatory sense it was often deserved.

I wouldn't say "basic" Thai after spending the best of the last ten years or so either visiting or living there but I'll bow to your greater wisdom.

Wow!! now we are talking about language proficiency based on the number of years a person has spent in a country.

Now let us be clear about something. How does one become good in a language? Other than using it everyday they go to school and have teachers teach them on a language. How do you think an illegal immigrant's standard of english is if he has stayed in the US for say 15 years? Do you think he would have learned some shakesphere while being an illegal immigrant in the US? Sad to say i can fanthom your standard of thai would be something like that illegal immigrant has learned. I can easily bet you did not actually go to a university or some place of learning to know more about thai language but your knowledge of thai language from your years of living in thailand has been from hearing how low-so thai ppl speak right?

That isn't anything different from someone living in a US ghetto for say 10 years. Suppose i told you hey i have lived in the US for more than 10 years i beez writing like dis talking about hoes and guns and misspelling words would you think i could be an authority on the thai language?

Let us just be honest a student who has never even stepped foot in thailand but learns about the thai language and the thai script from competent teachers has a probably a better grasp of thai compared to some farang who has lived in thailand for years but has 0 formal training in thai.

It applies to all languages. Put a person with 0 knowledge in english and get him to live in some ghetto neighbourhood would you say he is an expert in english language when he goes Yo yo yo yo where dem hoes at.

Can you repeat that in Thai.....my wife didn't understand what you were saying

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mr. World Wide,

Do you know how many words Thais use that sound like thd word farang and yet have no relation to the definition you are familiar with. Perhaps you over heard two people talking about the newest big red gum, or perhaps they just ate some french fries at Mcd's or perhaps they were discussing the high cost of asparagus in the local market. Or perhaps they were talking about the weird white guy staring at them!

not so...they are actually talking about us (and you). The french fries at Micky D's are just not that popular.

When one Thai asked for a coca cola and a papaya salad, the other one said..."hey..you eat like a farang...do you want fries with that?"

I don't think so

Funnily enough I was recently given some fried chicken at a ceremony, by a Thai man who asked, humorously, if I wanted french fries with that. He knew he was taking the piss...and so did I!!!! Never called me farang though.

I've been here 80 years. Fluent in Thai for 60 of those years. I've never once heard Thais slander farangs. Perhaps you're hanging around with whores and those educated to the age of 7 months?

You are not sober, are you ?

If he's been here 80 years he's earned the right to be permanently drunk!

• Like 1

Secondly we all need to know that it occurs everywhere. The thai kid and the thai people living in say australia aren't having a good time either. They are being called sons of whores and all sorts of racial slurs.

Where the f$332k did you live must have been a choice part of town, and sons of whores is not a normal australian saying.i think bullshit

OP, have you any idea about the slander that is being said about you by your fellow country men?

Yes, I know, a strange question, and only asked as I am continually amazed and astounded by the small talk I overhear in ex-pat 'locals' about the rumours concerning members of their communities. 100% of the time about members who are not present to defend themselves.

Having on numerous occasions been privy to the true stories sparking the rumours and hearing the different stages of speculation that have been reached before unbelievable conclusions, leaves me in no doubt that creative imagination is bountiful in the LOS.............wink.png

99% slander. Before being concerned about what the natives are saying, I would be more concerned about what my 'friends' are saying................thumbsup.gif

Agreed, the Thais slander the so-called "Kii Nok" [white trash] Farangs, and rightfully so, that hang around red light areas such as Nana and the like. Degenerates. The thing is the people that hang around those places [i.e. sex-pats/torurists] assume all Western males do the same and think that Kii Nok is a term applied to all Farangs. Basically, the white trash doesn't realize it's white trash. I regularly slag off Farangs like that simply because you see so many of them here. My ex-landlord [an American guy] was shocked to find out I had never slept with a hooker. At first he thought I was having him on. He's actually married as well. Total loser. They're all the same and such an embarrassment and there's loads of them here on Thai Visa regularly pontificating about a country and people they know nothing about.

I've been here 80 years. Fluent in Thai for 60 of those years. I've never once heard Thais slander farangs. Perhaps you're hanging around with whores and those educated to the age of 7 months?

You are not sober, are you ?

Sir Stephen Tracy, so a group of young lads/tourists that come to Thailand to let their hair down and visit "Nana and the like" are degenerates and/or white trash???? Maybe that's not your way of enjoying yourself but to brand anyone that does as a degenerate is pathetic. Get over yourself jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

Edited by InTransit
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Every day I stay in Thailand, I feel dumber and dumber. I think it is not entirely my own fault. Our reputation has been gutted, and we have all been reduced to the lowest level by people that come here and toss their well earned cash in the charity basket at Club Soi Farang.

I'm the same....everyday I stay in Thailand I feel dumber and dumber. Eventually, I suppose, I will reach an appropriate level of stupidity that will enable me to understand what is going on

or get citizenship quick smart...

Thank you. Have almost 50 in and speak near no Thai. The Thai people I know in Thailand and in other parts of the world, whatever their level, they slander not. The Farang all seem to have monopoly on the cry baby and complaint department. We get what we give and it doesn't matter where we are. Enjoy your life. Said it before will say it again. Most all Farang could not last one week being Thai or any S.E. Asian at any level of achieviement.

Edited by nithisa78

its 2 hard to say that thais are the ones slandering.. bc In my opinion, there are a ton of people here from other ctrys.. cambodia, vietnam, etc..

In the short time i hve been here, ( go ahead and attack me for my ignorance bc i havent been here long enough to make a good opinion )., I have encountered some true asses, mainly (motorbike taxis), and when i have strolled into a bar where it was clearly a place i should not be and an uneducated person that was really drunk and wanted to kill me bc i was farang. They told me to my face, which i didnt react , sat down and had a drink and left.

By far, there is way more + than negative here. It just truly weighs on what situation you have put yourself in.. Many thais have helped me and been very nice. Some have pissed me off. I think this can hold true for most ctrys. I would say that the less educated a thai is, th more opt he is to to be negative but I get the best service in some of the more local joints. In the upper scale places, i get the worst service. I also think this is different to every area of town in bkk.

Maybe its just how you present yourself and it clearly helps if you can speak and understand thai. Just hearing farang, is not a bad thing. I think some people from outer bkk, clearly think it is ok to say. I clearly dont give a shit if they say it.. you can tell if someone is being negative or not.. what it boils down to is,,, u need to come to the fact that you are a "farang", you are in their ctry.. taking advantage of being here and try to give back in the best way u can. it doesnt mean giving tips, which u should when necessary. but buying a meal or giving giftsto the people that do help u.. be positive man..

it is different here than your ctry and always will be, try and look at the +.. maybe if there is way too much slandering,, step back and maybe look at yourself and how you are presenting yourself

• Like 1

its probably equally as true then

that they viewed her as a paid for woman,

as, why else would she be with an american that didnt speak thai

another way of saying, without enough baht, they knew they had no shot.

hey like that for a song

copywrite:

if you dont have any baht,

you dont't have any shot

if you dont have any baht

you dont hane any shot

if you had the right baht

then you would surely have a shot

but you dont have any baht

so the answer will be, NOT

baht baht baht - baht barbara ann

baht baht baht - bah barbara ann

Barbara ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Take my handdddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Barbara ANNNNNNNNNN

if you dont have any baht,

then you dont have any shot

Baht baht baht, baht barara ann

and I havent even smoked

Dont give up your day job mate.

• Like 2

First we have to determine what "slandering" means. Let's be honest about this. We all know farang have a different tolerance level compared to asians and we all know even being called a farang is a racial slur to some farangs here. Of course back in farang land they call thais all sorts of names like "asian" I don't know man perhaps asian should be considered a slur and gook and so on.

Secondly we all need to know that it occurs everywhere. The thai kid and the thai people living in say australia aren't having a good time either. They are being called sons of whores and all sorts of racial slurs.

Thirdly we need to know that in asian countries people in general don't try to <deleted> with you if you leave them alone. This is very important because it is different in farang countries. There is a specific term in the UK that they call "taking the piss" out of someone. This is where they purposely provoke someone and when someone retaliates they go oh it's only a joke! Just look at the huge number of these prank video ppl all of them come from farang countries. Like just for laughs for example. You're supposed to laugh along with them after getting pranked by them. The fact of the matter is if you react to someone especially in a disrespectful way don't get upset if he doesn't react the way you expect him to and by and large asians leave you alone if you don't provoke them.

Lastly we will be hearing of some farang complaining oh you know we have this anti-racism thing for these poor minorities in farang countries and you all know that racism is a much bigger thing in farang countries compared to asian countries for obviously very good reasons. Then we will have farangs comparing you know the c0ck sizes like saying their farang countries are better than thailand but yet for some unknown reason still choose to reside in thailand.

It is very similar to the first class passenger on the plane for example suddenly decides to go sit in the economy class section of the plane and then complains why aren't they giving first class service in the economy section.

I still stand by my 1st point. Hypersensitive farangs complaining but don't have a probleming dishing it out much worse when thais visit their countries.

Right on, mate! I live in Asia for that very reason. I do not enjoy being messed with for no apparent reason. And I have no interest in either perpetrating or being part of someone else's 'joke'. Farang do this because they are miserable and are only satisfied when making other people miserable. Moreover they are cowards who hide behind statements like, 'Oh, it was only a joke' when it comes time to pay the piper. Face it. In all the ways that count, the Asians (decidedly not a slur) are superior.

• Like 1

First we have to determine what "slandering" means. Let's be honest about this. We all know farang have a different tolerance level compared to asians and we all know even being called a farang is a racial slur to some farangs here. Of course back in farang land they call thais all sorts of names like "asian" I don't know man perhaps asian should be considered a slur and gook and so on.

Thirdly we need to know that in asian countries people in general don't try to <deleted> with you if you leave them alone. This is very important because it is different in farang countries. There is a specific term in the UK that they call "taking the piss" out of someone. This is where they purposely provoke someone and when someone retaliates they go oh it's only a joke! Just look at the huge number of these prank video ppl all of them come from farang countries. Like just for laughs for example. You're supposed to laugh along with them after getting pranked by them. The fact of the matter is if you react to someone especially in a disrespectful way don't get upset if he doesn't react the way you expect him to and by and large asians leave you alone if you don't provoke them.

Lastly we will be hearing of some farang complaining oh you know we have this anti-racism thing for these poor minorities in farang countries and you all know that racism is a much bigger thing in farang countries compared to asian countries for obviously very good reasons. Then we will have farangs comparing you know the c0ck sizes like saying their farang countries are better than thailand but yet for some unknown reason still choose to reside in thailand.

It is very similar to the first class passenger on the plane for example suddenly decides to go sit in the economy class section of the plane and then complains why aren't they giving first class service in the economy section.

I still stand by my 1st point. Hypersensitive farangs complaining but don't have a probleming dishing it out much worse when thais visit their countries.

Your definitely suffering severly from Victor Meldrew syndrome. Take some more meds mate ....

I get slandered a lot worse by some certain sheeple who dislike my honesty in this 'ere forum. Thai people do say some nasty things about foreigners, my ex girlfriend was Thai but didn't look it so a lot of Thais said very nasty things right in front of her about me and her. Made her very upset. Made me angry when she told me what some of them said, some of it is funny though. One time some shelf stacker in a supermarket was bragging to the girl on the checkout 'Yeah the falang is big but I bet my penis is bigger than his'. This kind of thing happens a lot, not slander exactly but racism and oneupmanship does.

• Like 1

I get slandered a lot worse by some certain sheeple who dislike my honesty in this 'ere forum. Thai people do say some nasty things about foreigners, my ex girlfriend was Thai but didn't look it so a lot of Thais said very nasty things right in front of her about me and her. Made her very upset. Made me angry when she told me what some of them said, some of it is funny though. One time some shelf stacker in a supermarket was bragging to the girl on the checkout 'Yeah the falang is big but I bet my penis is bigger than his'. This kind of thing happens a lot, not slander exactly but racism and oneupmanship does.

that is sad my friend, and sux that you had to go through that.. but in all honesty.. we all have our own conclusions by our own experiences. I dont think its endemic to thailand. Its fair to say that for sure it happens here but you are in their ctry and whenever there is an anomaly such as someone different there is always going to be negativity somewhere. Its like dating a black girl in the south. It is different. You, I assume are white, and prob perceived as superior in thailand to most..There is a severe class system here. Im sure some thais get pissed at this and jealousy can bring out some bad comments im sure. Many ctrys or places will kick your ass for being foreign or dating one of their own. Especially , when the $ is involved within the dating system , such as thailand.. Just the way it is..

I dont mean to be negative to your comment. I date a girl and she is perceived as chinese and I hve not hd a lot of bad comments, but I have had my fair share when I have been alone..I say &lt;deleted&gt; it and its their karma/not mine. good luck buddy.. I hhad way more problems in hawaii than here in dating local girls. I look about as farang as they get,, "haole"..

• Like 1

Its that farang kii nok' look that put most ppl off.always look like Mr. Big and say please and thankyou.LOL

i agree, u hear it but you smile and act like u dont care, while being humble, smile, and just act like you are above it.. not being loud and arrogant helps as well..also helps with replying to something in thai and let them know you understand what thy are saying with a smile..

Isn't the word farang slanderous in itself? It's not meant to be a compliment.

Thais teach their young to identify farang and to stay away. I've had 3 year olds (maybe younger) pointing and saying farang! farang! Then the mother grabs them and ducks out of sight.

No matter now the PC crowd tries to spin this, Thais use the word farang as a demeaning way.

I'm the same....everyday I stay in Thailand I feel dumber and dumber. Eventually, I suppose, I will reach an appropriate level of stupidity that will enable me to understand what is going on

Don't be so hard on yourself. You were this dumb when you first got here.