Clarification Sought

I hoping I may get clarification on procedures and documentation for retirement in Thailand. Before anyone mentions Google etc., I have looked and getting conflicting information.

I recently obtained a “Non Immigrant O-A multiple entry” visa in Australia (based on retirement). On the original list of requirements, it stated it was valid for 12 months but I had to report every 90 days, so far so good. When I picked my passport up from the Thai consulate (Sydney), I asked if it was for 12 months and was informed no, it is for 90 days but if I go to immigration at the end of 90 days, they will extend it for a further 90 days. I was going to ask the following questions, but could see he was getting annoyed so reframed.

Is there any procedure on arrival (Bangkok) to follow?

Do I need a return ticket, or is a one-way flight OK with this type of visa?

Do I have to leave the country (border run) to get the 90-day extension?

What documentation is required, if any, when obtaining a 90 day extension?

As I have no desire to do border runs (if required). Is it feasible to apply for a 1-year retirement extension after 60 days?

Thanks in advance, Bill.

Are you sure you have a Non Imm O-A Visa?

If so you will get 12 months stay on arrival.

You just report your address to Immigration every 90 days.

Do a border run just before it expires and get another 12 months.

If you have a Non Imm O Visa you will only get 90 days on arrival

It cannot be extended by 90 days.

It can be extended by 12 months if you qualify financially.

A return ticket is not needed.

It appears to be the usual incorrect info that you were given by an official Thai consulate.

If you have non-oa visa you will be stamped with a one year permit to stay on entry. There is nothing more needed than your passport and the arrival card you fill out on entry.

You will then need to make the first report of staying 90 days in the country 90 days after you enter the country. At most offices you just fill out a TM47 form and present it along with your passport to your local immigration office (some want passport copies and etc). You can also mail in your reports to most immigration offices. Info here on immigration website: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Thank you for your replies.

The visa is defiantly a O-A visa (Multiple Entry). I too thought I only had to report every 90 days. As mentioned, I assume I was given the wrong information at the consulate (they weren't very helpful)

My mind is at ease now

Thank you once again, Bill.