Confused about non-immigrant visas

After reading all the messages & the word document I'm still quite confused, this is a really complicated subject. But I think this is the info I need:

O (Marriage): Given as 90 days in home country, can be extended to 12 months in Thailand. Need to go immigration every 90 days.
O-A (Retirement): Given as 12 months in home country. Need to go immigration every 90 days in Thailand.
O (Other): Given as 90 days single or 12 months multiple entry. Need to do a visa run every 90 days for multiple entry.
ED (Education): Given as 90 days ih home country. Needs to be extended at immigration every 90 days during the period of education.
B (Business): Still not sure
Btw, some people have told me I shouldn't be asking questions here, instead I should contact the embassy in my country. Actually I did that before opening this subject. I am from Turkey, so I contacted the embassy in Ankara & required info about non-immigrant visas. Today finally I got a mail from the Thai person responsible for visas. He only told me to look at www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123, the same address given above, nothing else. So this is the only help you can get from embassy. And there isn't any info about visas on the embassy web site, which is a shame. I've written a guide about visas thanks to this topic, so I've mailed it to the Thai guy & asked him if he can read it & tell me if the info is correct or not. I hope this works.
Edited by gezginrocker

You are still implying that visas are extended the way you wrote it. Only a permit to stay can be extended.

All non immigrant visas are issued upon the basis of something. An O visa can be based upon marriage, retirement , volunteer work, to stay with family and etc. The are not called marriage visas, retirement visas, work visas and etc. It is the same for extensions of stay you obtain at immigration..

A OA visa is issued as a multiple entry and is valid for one year and gives a one year entry each time it is used. By making an entry just before the visa expires it is possible to get almost 2 years of stay out of it. After the visa expires a re-entry permit is needed to keep the permit to stay from the last entry valid.

A permit to stay from a ED visa entry can be extended for up to one year dependent upon the course of study and the location where the extension is applied for. That can be 90 or 180 days or one year.

A non-b visa can be issued based upon different reasons. Work, teaching, business, being an expert, investment and etc

The same for all extensions of stay listed in police order 777/2551's various clauses.

• Like 2

ubonjoe, you're right, I should make my guide more clear about terms like the actual visa, permit so stay, extension of permit to stay etc. looks like I over simplified it above. thanks again, you're of great help.

mario2008, yep I have mentioned the mail option as well. but thanks for reminding it anyway.

• Like 1

What if someone with a multiple entry visa wants to leave the country before their 90 days is up? does that shorten the length of the visa because the individual didn't wait the full 3 months to leave? or is that where the re entry permit comes into play?

Also, if an extension of stay is a year and you have to show they bank statement, what good is it over a multiple entry which as said before, if used right will get you 15 months

What if someone with a multiple entry visa wants to leave the country before their 90 days is up? does that shorten the length of the visa because the individual didn't wait the full 3 months to leave? or is that where the re entry permit comes into play?

Also, if an extension of stay is a year and you have to show they bank statement, what good is it over a multiple entry which as said before, if used right will get you 15 months

No, a re-entry permit is normally of no use with a Multiple Entry Non Immigrant Visa up until your Visa's 'Use Before' date.

Every time you enter Thailand with a valid Multiple Entry Non Immigrant Visa (i.e. before your Visa's 'Use Before' date) you will typically get a 90 day entry.

A Re-Entry Permit is only of use to preserve a permission to stay date on re-entry, if the visa itself is now expired (after 'Use Before' date), in this case the re-entry permit serves to preserve the original 'Admitted Until' date on your passport stamp on exit/re-entry to Thailand.

• Like 1

1. With a one year multiple entry visa, you can leave the country as many times as you like. It will not shorten the visa.

2. With the extension of stay you don't have to leave Thailand. With the non-O multiple entry you have to leave Thailand every 90 days. You also have to get it outside Thailand. And it's more expensive.

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1