Confused about non-immigrant visas

Hello,

I'm preparing a guide about Thailand, but 'm extremely confused about non-immigrant visas.

As far as I understand, to get a 1 year ED visa, first you get a single entry 90 day visa, then you get a 1 year visa but every 90 days you need to go immigration and pay 1900 baht, right?

Is this also the case for 1 year O, O-A and B visas? Or do holders of those visas need to do a visa run every 90 days? Or do they just need to go to immigration every 90 days for address check?

I really appreciate some help, thanks a lot already.

These visas are only issued for 90 days if you have a multiply entry then you must leave the country every 90 days to activate the next 90 days. O-A visas can be issued for up to 2 years the 1rst year you need to report to immigration every 90 days. One can leave the country as often as you like the 1rst year and every re-entry you are stamped in for another period of one year, before the end of the 1rst year leave the country a few days before it expires and you are now allowed entry for one year but you will need to have a re-entry permit the second year if not and you leave you will be stamped back in on a 30 day visa exempt stay, you will need to report to immigration every 90 days.

• Like 1

Non immigrant visas can be issued as single entry or multiple entry. A single entry will be valid for 3 months and a multiple entry for one year from the date they are issued. Most non immigrant visas only allow a 90 entry. A non immigrant OA visa allows for a on year entry.

Visas cannot be extended. A visa will give a person a permit to stay on entry. A permit to stay can be extended.for various lengths dependent upon immigration. rules. They can be for 90 days up to one year.

An non immigrant ED visa entry extension of stays length can be vary dependent upon the course of study and local immigration rules. For language school studies some locations only give 90 or 180 days up to one year. For university studies they are normally done for one year or for the the length of the course of study.

A non immigrant O visa entry can typically can be extended based upon retirement, marriage to a Thai, having a Thai child, being a dependent of a extension holder or being a volunteer worker. With the exception of volunteering these are normally one year extensions of stay.

Any non immigrant visa entry permit to stay can be extended for various reasons under police order 777/2551.

• Like 2

Non immigrant visas can be issued as single entry or multiple entry. A single entry will be valid for 3 months and a multiple entry for one year from the date they are issued. Most non immigrant visas only allow a 90 entry. A non immigrant OA visa allows for a on year entry.

Visas cannot be extended. A visa will give a person a permit to stay on entry. A permit to stay can be extended.for various lengths dependent upon immigration. rules. They can be for 90 days up to one year.

An non immigrant ED visa entry extension of stays length can be vary dependent upon the course of study and local immigration rules. For language school studies some locations only give 90 or 180 days up to one year. For university studies they are normally done for one year or for the the length of the course of study.

A non immigrant O visa entry can typically can be extended based upon retirement, marriage to a Thai, having a Thai child, being a dependent of a extension holder or being a volunteer worker. With the exception of volunteering these are normally one year extensions of stay.

Any non immigrant visa entry permit to stay can be extended for various reasons under police order 777/2551.

"A non immigrant O visa entry can typically can be extended ..."

"Any non immigrant visa entry permit to stay can be extended ..."

From the way the O/P worded his question it appears he is confusing visas and extensions of (permission to) stay. Just to emphasize what Ubonjoe has stated, it's not the visa that's being extended. You get a visa from an embassy or consulate. Assuming you have a visa from an embassy or consulate you present that to Immigrations at your point of entry to the country.

Immigrations will then usually grant you permission to stay in the country and indicate for how long. In some cases you can apply to get an extension of (that permission to) stay from Immigrations. In some cases you need to leave the country and re-enter in order to get a new permission of stay, but Immigrations is granting or extending your permission to stay, they are not extending your visa and they are not issuing you a new visa.

If you need to have an non-imm O visa to apply for an extension, under some circumstances you can apply to Immigrations to change your entry stamp to create the legal fiction that you entered on a non-Imm O, but they do not issue you with a new visa that could be used to enter the countr

Not sure what purpose will be served by a new guide written about Thailand by someone who seems to have a tenuous grasp of the facts.

• Like 2

Why always thise questions here about diff. Visa. You always get confusing and sometimes wrong answers. If You want correct answers, there is only one way. Look up the embasy or cosulate of Thailand in your own Country. Thats the only way.

Why always thise questions here about diff. Visa. You always get confusing and sometimes wrong answers. If You want correct answers, there is only one way. Look up the embasy or cosulate of Thailand in your own Country. Thats the only way.

Not so.

I know a bit more than the Thai embassy in my home country...

• Like 1

On the Thai embasy website in Denmark You can find explanation on All visa possibilities in english. You can find information elsewhere. The problem With this site is You nerver know, who is right and to beleive. Thats my point.

On the Thai embasy website in Denmark You can find explanation on All visa possibilities in english. You can find information elsewhere. The problem With this site is You nerver know, who is right and to beleive. Thats my point.

Yup! Absolutely right. I would recommend a good long read of the Hull UK consulate web site.

If the OP is indeed preparing a document of some sort to help the uninformed, why is he asking questions here?

As others have said, forums occasionally carry useful and accurate information but unless you can differentiate between that and the totally uninformed opinions/BS of many of the contributors the OP would be well

advised to visit the official web sites for his information.

• Like 1

I know the Thai embassy in Copenhagen have wrong info when telling about different visas. Things like you must have a copy of your flight ticket to apply/get a non immigrant visa.

gezgin-rocker the TRUTH is that this is a confusing topic and as Niel-SK notes "The problem With this site is You never know, who is right and (who) to believe". - That's his point and he is partially right.

Immigration rules vary on the basis of your citizenship, what passport you hold and your residential status in the country you apply from and with the Royal Thai Embassy you apply at. So sound advice for your guide would be to "contact the Embassy where you intend to apply for the Visa". If your guide is intended to give advice on how you can stay in Thailand if you fall in love with the country, the culture or one of the amazing Thai citizens who live here - then you are on a very different mission and that becomes another set of issues.

So before you even start on ThaiVisa trying to get information on this subject be warned you may have to present your comprehensive Business Plan for your Guide to some members to convince them that you have thought in through and that you do know slightly more than Sierra Foxtrot Alpha. Stick around before this post is out - you, and others who put their little input in, in the hope that they are going to help you, will receive much stronger rebuke than that.

That said - there is a real wealth of experience and good advice available from some of the Senior Members here BUT if your situation is different from the norm or you come across an Immigration Department in Thailand that decides to place a slightly different spin on it the "law" as it is interpreted by them - the information you give, based on what you eventually put in your guide, will be worth SFA.

Sadly as Niel SK has already noticed when some people post stuff based on their own humble experience - then some regular posters (who I call the "grumpy old men") actually claim they "haven't a clue" - "don't know what they are talking about" or more amusing that they are "being untruthful and making it up". This leaves others reading the topic in a real state of confusion. Occasionally the original question posted degenerates into a slanging match between various members in an exchange, that has very little to do with the original topic, and more to do with previous on-line (and personal) confrontations between them. This in then even more confusing for the casual person logging on to find a way to get back into Thailand without having to engage in disruptive 90 days Visa runs.

Good luck with your guide.

• Like 2

From my own personal experience being under 50 and not qualifying for a retirement visa.

O- visa is granted for a period of 12 months. You can leave and come back into Thailand as many times as you like during the 12 month period with each entry gaining you 90 days. It is not compulsory for you to stay 90 days each time thus the word multiple entry. On the expiry of each granted 90 days you must do a visa run and leave the country eg Cambodia to receive another 90 days. One month prior to the 12 months visa expiration you can apply for a marriage visa with the appropriate paperwork that contains a financial statement of money being in a Thai bank account for 3 months not falling below 400,000 Baht, a marriage certificate, proof of residential address, photos of you and your wife within the place of residence and a map of where the residence is. You submit the documents and your passport to immigration for approval. Yes they take your passport from you. Should you divorce though whilst on a marriage visa it becomes null and void and I belief you have a very short period of time to exit the country because you are no longer married.

Other members might be able to suggest more about extensions regarding O-visa's before resorting to a marriage visa and what happens if you divorce whilst being subject to a marriage visa's cancellation.

Second option if below 50 years of age.

One month prior to your O-visa expiring you apply to a school to learn Thai. You pay your fees and within that month the school arranges your paper work and a letter from the Education Ministry confirming your student status. You then leave Thailand and apply for an ED-Visa at that countries Thai Embassy or Consulate. When it is granted you come back into Thailand and the initial 3 month Ed-visa labelled in your passport is stamped "Used". Depending on your schools policy, 20 days prior to the Ed-visa expiring they organise supportive documentation for you to take to immigration before the end of the 90 days. If it is in order, immigration extend your ED-visa for another 90 days for a fee of 1900 Baht. This process is repeated every 90 days. You only ever need to leave Thailand once to achieve an ED-visa. They suggest a one year visa but that is really only applicable to your school tuition fees. You are only ever good for 90 days each time. When your initial 15 months (initial 3 + 12) is up, you pay your fees and it then becomes every 12 months and the school just keeps supplying you with the appropriate immigration paper work. For you to leave Thailand at anytime during these 90 days you will need a re-entry visa. If you are going to leave Thailand multiple times during a 90 day period you will need a multiple re-entry. If you are only going to leave once, then a single re-entry is sufficient. Remember everything about ED-visa's rotate around 90 days. You must apply during each 90 days for the extention. If you are out of the country whenever any of your 90 days expire, customs will give you a 30 day tourist visa upon your arrival back into Thailand. In other words you let it expire and you need to reapply for an ED-Visa. There are no financial statements required or any other supportive documentation other than your passport and a lease proving your residential address. Marital staus is not applicable. They will ask for an estimated monthly budget on the application but you don't need to prove it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by aussiejon1604
  • Like 2

wow, I was away from the net for a day & I'm quite surprised to find that many replies. I came here from thorn tree forum, I was fed up with some regulars there always ruining the subject. I see that here people are genuinely trying to help, and even when criticising me, showing an alternative way at the same time. that's a nice change.

so thanks everybody for replies. and zaZa9 & konarain, that document is perfect, thanks a lot for sharing it.

have a nice day everybody.

Edited by gezginrocker

"One month prior to the 12 months visa expiration you can apply for a marriage visa..."

If you leave and re-enter a day before the visa expires you get another 90 days. If done right, you can get almost 15 months out of a multi entry Non O Visa.

"You submit the documents and your passport to immigration for approval. Yes they take your passport from you".

A little misleading. Yes, they take your passport. They put a stamp in it and hand it back to you. They don't keep your passport.

• Like 1

You might find some useful info about visas on some embassy and consulate websites,

But nothing about extensions of stay and other immigration issues. Which is part of what the OP was asking about.

Yes, exactly. Embassies and consulates have nothing to do with granting, denying or extending permission to stay in Thailand, which is essentially what the O/P was asking about.

A visa may expedite getting you into Thailand, but your entry and your stay here is totally governed by Immigrations. not by embassies or consulates, and certainly not by what may or may not be accurate and up-to-date information posted on an embassy website, in a language foreign to the person posting it.

• Like 1

does anybody know how much centre link pay out for aussie pension,when I retire to Thailand with my thai wife, cant seem to get any sense out of centre link on this subject. cheers.

You should have a look at this topic about Oz pensions and/or do a post on it with a question. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/163135-australian-aged-pension/page-40

"One month prior to the 12 months visa expiration you can apply for a marriage visa..."

If you leave and re-enter a day before the visa expires you get another 90 days. If done right, you can get almost 15 months out of a multi entry Non O Visa.

"You submit the documents and your passport to immigration for approval. Yes they take your passport from you".

A little misleading. Yes, they take your passport. They put a stamp in it and hand it back to you. They don't keep your passport.

Yes your right. You can get almost 15 months out of your O-visa if you time your visa runs well. I should have been a bit more specific in my description when referring to its "issued 12 month validity". A marriage visa does need to be applied for 1 month prior to its total expiration validity.

As I didn't go ahead with applying for a marriage visa when my O-visa expired, I am guilty of repeating what a visa consultant had said to me. I thought it a little too strange to be handing over your passport in this manner. Thanks for clarifying.

"A marriage visa does need to be applied for 1 month prior to its total expiration validity."

Normally an extension can be done any time within the last 30 days of your permission to stay.

It is often recommended that you do the extension early in the 30 day period in case there are problems, but it's not required. You can apply on the last day.

When the accept the app they'll give you a 30 day 'under consideration' stamp. When you go back then, they normally give you the remainder of the years extension.

• Like 1

"A marriage visa does need to be applied for 1 month prior to its total expiration validity."

Normally an extension can be done any time within the last 30 days of your permission to stay.

It is often recommended that you do the extension early in the 30 day period in case there are problems, but it's not required. You can apply on the last day.

When the accept the app they'll give you a 30 day 'under consideration' stamp. When you go back then, they normally give you the remainder of the years extension.

Just wondering then....

If you don't do it within the last 30 days to give yourself time for clarification in case of problems and you do leave it until the last day, what happens to your visa should you find you do have problems? EG. Supplying a bank letter declaring your balance that isn't dated within the last 24 hours of your application. I have heard that some officers can be particular about this with a retiree friend having such an issue and forgetting to supply his bank book thinking his bank letter would have been sufficient.

Is an extension of stay based on marriage basically what is known as a "marriage visa"?

Can anyone clarify what actually happens to you if you divorce whilst living here under the marriage criteria?

Edited by aussiejon1604

There is no marriage visas.

There are non-o visas based upon marriage or extensions of stay based upon marriage.

A person married to a Thai or has a Thai child has the advantage of being able apply for a 60 day extension if things go wrong and they cannot get there one year extension of stay done in time.

• Like 2