i become a daddy!

Crazy chef 1

Congrats,your life will never be the same but very different in a very positive kind of way.

Make sure you and your wife are a team in raising your child together,you have lots of time to talk about it.

No amount of planning will be sufficient,every child is unique and i wish you happy times.

Congratulations.

Thailand is great for most child rearing expenses. Food, accomodation, clothes and transport are all cheap.

Where I find problems and concern is in education and medical.

I'm taking my boy to Australia for his primary school education. Also the health welfare in Aus is a bonus even though it is wise even there to take out health insurance.

I don't care about him growing up bilingual. He can learn while he is a teenager when we return here.

Am also a father (4 boys) and when I was about to become one in Thailand for the first time, I consulted an Expat I knew who had single handedly put all of his nine kids thru Uni. He said don't bother telling them how to be, it doesn't work. However you want them to be, then you be like that and they will surely follow.

I also think we shouldn't hide the realities of life from kids. After all, we are trying to help them become independent in society and telling untruths or hiding reality isn't doing them any favours.

Embrace the experience of fatherhood and remember to "let go" a little when the time comes.

• Like 1

"How to rise a child?"

Personally I'd let the wife take care of it. They are after all women and have rised kids for a very very long time, and they are good at it.

but like in the other thread i don't want to raise my baby completely Thai way there MUST be a balance.

any suggestions?

• Like 1

Congrats OP.

"how to raise a child tri- lingual"

What we do.

I only speak English to her. My family too when they are here or on skype a few times a week. DVD's etc. are also in English.

My wife only speaks Thai to her. Neighbours and Thai friends too. Her school will mainly be in Thai until about the age of 8 or 9.

Wife's family only speak Japanese to her when they are here, on Skype most days, or when we go to Japan.

• Like 1

"How to rise a child?"

Personally I'd let the wife take care of it. They are after all women and have rised kids for a very very long time, and they are good at it.

but like in the other thread i don't want to raise my baby completely Thai way there MUST be a balance.

any suggestions?

Be involved as much as you can in everything that is going on. :)

The most important part which is reserved for you, you have already done! tongue.png

Now relax after that "hard" part. wink.png

All will come in his place without much thoughts. I have 5 boys, (2 in my home country, 3 in Thailand), one more child now arriving.

• Like 1

Congratulation man.

Don't worry at all about 3 languages just love your kid so much, and show him/her : he/she can rackon on you anytime.

The kid is the largest happyness and no-one will love you like your child.

• Like 1

You are worrying about your child's linguistics right now... wait until you find out that your wife is no longer interested in any sexual contact. That is when the misery really starts.

And why is that happening?bah.gif You know more about the reason of that factor? blink.png