Going Back to Nothing and Nobody.

Banzai99

A sad story,but i am not sure about this off the books with the credit card thing,mind you if he has no money they can't get any i spose,what else can he do,live on the beach in Pattaya,going back is the best option,he is lucky he has freinds like you who are willing to help,really don't know why people open bars here,they always seem to fail.

Money owed on credit cards or loans from banks or finance companies are unsecured debts. If six or more years pass without a payment, the statute of limitations kicks in and the debt is unenforceable. The Limitation Act prevents collection of these debts after six years of non-payment as long as the creditor doesn't have a judgment against the person who borrowed the money, and the person hasn't written to the creditor in those six years acknowledging the debt. Any bad credit reports should also be wiped off Credit Agencies files, but I don't trust these buggers to do it, so chasing them and threatening to report them to TSO also stands.

Some agencies buy these non collectible debts for pennies and issue threats, In such cases inform The Trading Standards Office and tell the police that you are living in fear. If contacted by one of these scum outfits, say nothing, try and get a recording if they phone you etc.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP is a habitual troll. No way this story is at all true.

True. But it has provided 150 posts of entertainment.

To be fair, the scenario described is not so far-fetched. We had a German guy who clearly had mental health problems - and no money - his Thai wife had cut him off and he had no relatives in Germany.

The German embassy were no use at all even though the guy needed to 'get in the welfare system' back home. I suspect that the British embassy would be no use either in the OP's scenario.

Don't know what happened to him in the end - the last I heard he was threatening to walk into the German embassy and cut his wrists.

Friend of mine recently flew back to London. Was very ill with cancer, in fact, he died just last week. He eventually managed to get to the nearest hospital to LHR. They admitted him and were giving him palliative care. By some kind of luck, a friend of his was contacted and took care of him till the end.

However, the stark reality of his situation is that he died a pauper. He was still working offshore when he became ill. His wife had to sell his car to get the ticket home. He had no money for treatment. No idea where his money went. Now she is left picking up the pieces, usual for many people. No money, no will, no nothing. He has a few thousand baht left from the sale of his car, she has no access to any of it.

Friend of mine, but an <deleted>, really

The OP is a habitual troll. No way this story is at all true.

True. But it has provided 150 posts of entertainment.

And a surprisingly amount of good information springs up from the responses of many troll posts.

• Like 1

Friend of mine recently flew back to London. Was very ill with cancer, in fact, he died just last week. He eventually managed to get to the nearest hospital to LHR. They admitted him and were giving him palliative care. By some kind of luck, a friend of his was contacted and took care of him till the end.

However, the stark reality of his situation is that he died a pauper. He was still working offshore when he became ill. His wife had to sell his car to get the ticket home. He had no money for treatment. No idea where his money went. Now she is left picking up the pieces, usual for many people. No money, no will, no nothing. He has a few thousand baht left from the sale of his car, she has no access to any of it.

Friend of mine, but an <deleted>, really

If they were legally married and he paid National Insurance Contributions she will be entitled to at least a Bereavement Payment.

I don't understand the confusion in this problem....he has nothing...nobody....no place....no money.....the solution to this total life of freedom would seem to be to slit ones throat and move onto the next new life....afterall....it will certainly be better than anything anyone could have here.....of course if you are like most minded people....locked into the thought that everything in this world is all there is....well, then yeah, go crazy and go to prison....after all, for people trapped in a world that they can only experience with their 'eyes'....one prison is as good as another

• Like 1

http://heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/what-we-do/returning-to-the-uk-from-abroad/

There is this, but I certainly wouldn't want to be reliant on it on arrival. I think basically you are looking at the 6 month "window" to get listed with some sort of social welfare.

From the little experience I've had with social services, you really do need to have someone advocating on your behalf and pushing the case.

Maybe the "Shelter" housing charity could provide some help.

Does he have no one at all, even someone to just keep up the pressure and make sure he can get the basics, before he falls through the cracks.

Good luck to your friend, not a pleasant scenario to be facing.

Thanks mate, really helpful.

Cheers.

Im sorry cant help Banzai , i hope someone can . Please members lets not go after this guy about blowing his cash etc.etc. some positive advice would be nice just wish i could hand some out.

Gl to your friend OP hope it turns out ok.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would you want to wish good luck to a common thief and fraudster.

There is no badge of honour in screwing credit card companies for a debt that the rest of us honest citizens finish up paying for.

People like this are irresponsible and the dregs of society.

He must be very proud that after 63 years of his life he cannot afford a pot to p!ss in.

From the tone and wording of your reply, it sounds like you are a certified genius who may also be a Nobel Prize winner. So I am very keenly seeking further clarification on this statement: "a debt that the rest of us honest citizens finish up paying for." I am not being sarcastic or facetious, I am just unaware of how superior human beings, like you and me (I am going to order a t-shirt with the term "Honest Citizen" written across it as soon as I finish this post!), end up directly paying for the debts of "the dregs".

I hope you answer, as there aren't many of us left in this world, so I hope that we can build rapport on this particular thread, as I have both literally and figuratively been aching to engage with a near-deity like yourself for many, many years. If you like, I will wash your feet in my very own gastric acid if and when we eventually meet in person. This is so exciting for me—thank you so much sir! licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

A sad story,but i am not sure about this off the books with the credit card thing,mind you if he has no money they can't get any i spose,what else can he do,live on the beach in Pattaya,going back is the best option,he is lucky he has freinds like you who are willing to help,really don't know why people open bars here,they always seem to fail.

Money owed on credit cards or loans from banks or finance companies are unsecured debts. If six or more years pass without a payment, the statute of limitations kicks in and the debt is unenforceable.

Unless the debts are Scottish in which case they're statute barred after 5 years.

Money owed on credit cards or loans from banks or finance companies are unsecured debts. If six or more years pass without a payment, the statute of limitations kicks in and the debt is unenforceable.

Unless the debts are Scottish in which case they're statute barred after 5 years.

Is this true?? So this means the debt is forever owed, right? Sorry, I might have misunderstood the terminology. "Statute barred"?

Edited by tookwan cottage

The credit card scam has been going long enough! they start out as unsecured loans expiring in a few years, until some one decides to take it to court and get a judgment. then it has turned into a secured loan and the company credit or bank then can go and attack any other assets you have to pay for the credit card debt as it has now been secured and a judgment has been recorded, the debt is enforceable for a period of up to 9-11 years as it is now not unsecured. meanwhile we all think that because it is an unsecured debt we get a higher rate of interest.. not so

Is this true?? So this means the debt is forever owed, right? Sorry, I might have misunderstood the terminology. "Statute barred"?

'Statute barred' means that they're not enforceable. Unsecured debts in Scotland are unenforceable after 5 years rather than 6 years as in England and Wales.

• Like 1

The credit card scam has been going long enough! they start out as unsecured loans expiring in a few years, until some one decides to take it to court and get a judgment. then it has turned into a secured loan and the company credit or bank then can go and attack any other assets you have to pay for the credit card debt as it has now been secured and a judgment has been recorded, the debt is enforceable for a period of up to 9-11 years as it is now not unsecured. meanwhile we all think that because it is an unsecured debt we get a higher rate of interest.. not so

This is an Australian reference, so I apologize if the question is unsuitable, but is superannuation considered "other assets" they can go after?

Statute barred means the statute of limitations has kicked in. Recovery of debts such as credit card or unsecured loans are no longer enforceable provided certain criteria are met. If a debtor hasn't paid anything for 5-6 years AND you haven't contacted the creditor AT ALL, or acknowledged anything from them, then basically you don't have to pay because the debt is now 'statute barred'. Someone might contact you with all kinds of threats, but just ignore them. Also, it must be wiped off your credit history file, but you might need to remind them.

Statute barred doesn't apply to court orders, government taxes etc.

• Like 1

'Statute barred' means that they're not enforceable. Unsecured debts in Scotland are unenforceable after 5 years rather than 6 years as in England and Wales.

Thank you kindly for this. Not because it applies to me, but because it flies in the face of the "stingy" stereotype that is applied to Scots—most often by mediocre dullards. This may also be a further reason to vote for Scottish independence!

Edited by tookwan cottage

Statute barred means the statute of limitations has kicked in. Recovery of debts such as credit card or unsecured loans are no longer enforceable provided certain criteria are met. If a debtor hasn't paid anything for 5-6 years AND you haven't contacted the creditor AT ALL, or acknowledged anything from them, then basically you don't have to pay because the debt is now 'statute barred'. Someone might contact you with all kinds of threats, but just ignore them. Also, it must be wiped off your credit history file, but you might need to remind them.

Please accept my gratitude for this reply! It always leaves me with a smile when I can sense the intelligence in a post (this is not sarcasm, BTW!) smile.png

Spot on.

For clarity, court orders obviously include CCJs (I doubt there will be any in this case). Fraud is not statute barred but the credit card companies would not pursue this after this length of time. The debts are long written off.

this is useful re Limitation Act 1980.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/25%20EW%20Time%20limits%20for%20recovering%20debts/Default.aspx

Even if they got a CCJ they would need the court's permission to pursue it if they'd made no active attempt to collect in the previous 6 years and courts take quite a dim view of trying to revive old CCJs.

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

Even if they got a CCJ they would need the court's permission to pursue it if they'd made no active attempt to collect in the previous 6 years and courts take quite a dim view of trying to revive old CCJs.

Hard to make an active attempt to collect when someone has p!ssed off to Thailand with their money biggrin.png

As said, the initial lack of contact would most likely NOT have resulted in CCJs being obtained - on cost grounds alone.

After a very good run in Thailand this drunk and thief needs to get his act together and stop feeling sorry for himself. Remember mate YOU made a mess of it so stop feeling sorry for yourself and p*** o** home. Don't come the "I don't know anybody in the UK" routine, that's the first thing the authorities will ask you and don't think you'll get a nice pat on the shoulder and a car waiting to take you to a nice gaff. The authorities will be desperate to unload you. As for the credit cards, yes maybe you'll never pay the money back but there are no limitations on fraud in the UK.......you're going down mate once your name pops up on a computer somewhere.

Why the anger?

Perhaps you worked your arse off in the UK for 40 years then came here when you retired and wish you had come earlier?

Thank you kindly for this. Not because it applies to me, but because it flies in the face of the "stingy" stereotype that is applied to Scotsmost often by mediocre dullards. This may also be a further reason to vote for Scottish independence!

I'd encourage it, won't be no real loss to either country.

After a very good run in Thailand this drunk and thief needs to get his act together and stop feeling sorry for himself. Remember mate YOU made a mess of it so stop feeling sorry for yourself and p*** o** home. Don't come the "I don't know anybody in the UK" routine, that's the first thing the authorities will ask you and don't think you'll get a nice pat on the shoulder and a car waiting to take you to a nice gaff. The authorities will be desperate to unload you. As for the credit cards, yes maybe you'll never pay the money back but there are no limitations on fraud in the UK.......you're going down mate once your name pops up on a computer somewhere.

He won't be going down for bad debts at worse some agency might try to chase him for money he doesn't have and credit blacklist him for credit he will never have. As for the money that's water down the drain.

I feel for this guy, take the ticket and the 20.000 baht overstay, arrive back in the UK there is help for people in his posistion, listen I have been stuck out here for 18months came out here with promises being made by a cousin of mine, promises were not kept, so have been stuck up here in Issan and I am a Women all alone, thank goodness for the amamzing Issan people who have fed me and taken care, I have had the most amamzing experience, more than any Farang Women could imagine, I am nearly 60, at last raised the money for my overstay and a ticket out of here, I have no one or nowhere to go but I am leaving on 6th May, tell him to take this and get back to the UK as for his credit cards etc after 7years it will be wiped off, he is still young enough to return and start again as long as he doesn't hit the bottle.................

Help in the UK awaits, please use these services:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/services-and-facilities/social-care

Good Luck

Thanks a lot, good info, much appreciated.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Of all the posts I cannot believe that only one suggested getting a job. Unless he has some physical impairment he should be able to work and straighten out his life. Does the European and UK social welfare systems completely ignore personal responsibility as a virtue.

63 years old is not exactly the most desirable age for employers especially 63 year olds with no address

Dye his heair, tie it back, some boot polish and a red dot.....7/11 material I hear easily.

• Like 1

In a sense we all go back to nothing and nobody in the end it is just he might get there a bit earlier than most or quicker than he would like. Good monks have nothing but the robes they're in and their alms bowl and if they are doing it right can be very happy or more appropriately beyond happy so in the end it all comes down to a state of mind.

• Like 2

http://heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/what-we-do/returning-to-the-uk-from-abroad/

There is this, but I certainly wouldn't want to be reliant on it on arrival. I think basically you are looking at the 6 month "window" to get listed with some sort of social welfare.

From the little experience I've had with social services, you really do need to have someone advocating on your behalf and pushing the case.

Maybe the "Shelter" housing charity could provide some help.

Does he have no one at all, even someone to just keep up the pressure and make sure he can get the basics, before he falls through the cracks.

Good luck to your friend, not a pleasant scenario to be facing.

Orrrr, you could tell him to black up and develop a Somali/Congolese accent.

• Like 1

Further to my previous post on this subject, and despite the negative reaction of some, I note the British Embassy Thailand web site states the following for what they are NOT able to help with . . .

• get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money
  • make travel arrangements for you, find you work, accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf
  • get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters
  • renew or replace a full British passport

You can see from this list that it does not specifically exclude being repatriated.

They have a Consular Services number at 023058333, which I phoned today and asked for advice for the case of a British National in Thailand without any funds or family to support him in the UK, who has also overstayed his Thai Visa.

It turns out that this number is routed to a call center in Hong Kong, but the Consular Official I spoke to advised that the person contact this number and they would "see what they could do."

In other words, there was no outright rejection of any request for help.

So I would advise the person to phone this number as a first step.

• Like 1