Going Back to Nothing and Nobody.

Banzai99

I know a guy from the UK, , he has nothing back in the U.K., after some disastrous relationships a failed Bar business and a severe alcohol problem, he has nothing here either.

He would be better off in the UK for sure but he is scared to go back as he has nothing or nobody back there, plus he took out unsecured bank loans maxed out his credit cards etc before he left UK, he has been in Thailand for 15 years and is 63 years old.

A few friends and I are willing to buy his ticket back to UK and give the 20,000 Baht for his overstay.

He's worried about what he will do when he gets to Heathrow, does anybody have knowledge of a scenario such as this ?

I've suggested he do a spot of Air Rage and get arrested at the airport on Arrival, he's a nasty drunk so should be easy, he'll get arrested straight off the plane, go to court and get prison time, but, he'll be straight back in the system and be able to get help immediately, get sorted out, medical check, get on benefits etc whilst in Prison.

He won't get arrested for Credit Card fraud and as its been too long, he got just about every Credit Card Possible and took cash advances just before leaving, so it was Fraudulent, but after a period of time, it's off the books.

It's probably not the best idea, but I don't know other alternatives, he's gonna arrive with some pocket money, about 50 Pounds, that's all, and he has no idea where to go or what to do, he has no Family to help him, and nobody else.

There must have been many guys going back to the UK with nothing over the years, is there help available at Heathrow airport ?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sad story,but i am not sure about this off the books with the credit card thing,mind you if he has no money they can't get any i spose,what else can he do,live on the beach in Pattaya,going back is the best option,he is lucky he has freinds like you who are willing to help,really don't know why people open bars here,they always seem to fail.

• Like 2

Contact Citizens Advice Bureau. The nearest to Heathrow is only 3 miles away (google it). They will give all the info.

In order to receive benefits immediately he will have to satisfy 'habitual residence' Do not suggest 'air rage' or to visit the CAB in drunken state.

• Like 2

By reading your OP.....and your many previous 1's.......inconsiderate people are only willing help inconsiderate people, springs to mind.......

Better you try to help ....with your friends....Tia Pugh....or other young children in need in Thailand

yeah sad innit...circa 50k baht for a drunk to get home.....but a dying child ?....zip

By reading your OP.....and your many previous 1's.......inconsiderate people are only willing help inconsiderate people, springs to mind.......

Better you try to help ....with your friends....Tia Pugh....or other young children in need in Thailand

yeah sad innit...circa 50k baht for a drunk to get home.....but a dying child ?....zip

In fairness, I think 25,000 Baht will cover it.

Unless they were thinking of sending him back first class.

Not very helpful post.

Thanks anyway.

• Like 1

Im sorry cant help Banzai , i hope someone can . Please members lets not go after this guy about blowing his cash etc.etc. some positive advice would be nice just wish i could hand some out.

Gl to your friend OP hope it turns out ok.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would you want to wish good luck to a common thief and fraudster.

There is no badge of honour in screwing credit card companies for a debt that the rest of us honest citizens finish up paying for.

People like this are irresponsible and the dregs of society.

He must be very proud that after 63 years of his life he cannot afford a pot to p!ss in.

He screwed up, of that, there is no doubt, but that's life.

Do you know if there is a facility at Heathrow to help the people who return with nothing ?

In fairness, I think 25,000 Baht will cover it.

Unless they were thinking of sending him back first class.

Cheapest one way direct, gotta make sure he gets off in London and not do his Air Rage with a break in Moscow or the Middle East !! facepalm.gif

• Like 1

http://heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/what-we-do/returning-to-the-uk-from-abroad/

There is this, but I certainly wouldn't want to be reliant on it on arrival. I think basically you are looking at the 6 month "window" to get listed with some sort of social welfare.

From the little experience I've had with social services, you really do need to have someone advocating on your behalf and pushing the case.

Maybe the "Shelter" housing charity could provide some help.

Does he have no one at all, even someone to just keep up the pressure and make sure he can get the basics, before he falls through the cracks.

Good luck to your friend, not a pleasant scenario to be facing.

Sad situation, but he hasn't really helped himself has he ? It is also a little hard to believe that at his age he has no contacts left in the UK.

If I can help a little with the credit card issues. When I lived in Manila, I had a HKSBC Visa card issued in HK where I held an account with them. I also had an Amex gold card issued by another institution.

Basically when moving to Manila, I opened another account with a local bank but kept my HSBC account open, but with very little cash in it. If I used my Visa card, then I simply transferred cash from Manila to my HK account. I had a situation where even though not leaving the Phippines my Visa card was hit with over 100 USD in Jakarta. I immediately informed the HKSBC and sent them copies of my passport showing I had not left Manila and my card must have been scammed.

The HK bank refused to believe me and insisted on payment. When I refused I had a very official letter saying that my HK account would be frozen and my card cancelled. And that is what happened.

I then took my Amex card to Amex in Manila, told them my problem and asked them to take back and cancel my card. They told me no need you don't owe us anything and your card will not be cancelled.

Five years later after totally forgetting the previous issue with the HKSBC I successfully opened another account with them and got an offer of a credit card.

I later found that all these bank freezes etc expire after five years. With this in mind and as long as this guy keeps a low profile if he goes back to the UK, I don't think he will have any banking issues

• Like 1

The OP and his friends are to be congratulated for taking up a collection to buy the bloke a ticket, pay his overstay and send him back to blighty where there is a safety net for the bloke. Here, he's vulnerable, at risk, and eventually will have health problems that will create a financial burden for Thai society. It's not the responsibility of the Thai people to care for people in this situation.

The OP may wish to refer to a thread that ran a few weeks ago about a man in a similar fix. Several good resources in the U.K. were mentioned, plus tips on how to manage the exit process out of Chiang Mai for someone who is old and frail. Fortunately, it seems this man is still fairly healthy.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719757-6-years-overstay-and-about-to-fly-back-to-the-uk-for-76-year-old/?hl=%20overstay

Just make sure his flight arrives during working hours or it could complicate thing even more if arriving in the evening with nothing open etc.

A) Social services

B) Citizens advice

C) Fake health (heart) problem for free transport and a night in hospital

D) Go smack a Copper in the mouth. (not recommended).

Edited by CharlieH

You sound like my ex wife!

Anyway, I wish the guy luck, it is a terrible predicament but look at the positives.

-He has good friends here to help.

- Itss Summer in Uk

- Thousands do what he has done

- His debts are aged so written off legally.

- He has nothing to lose

Go back and talk to those who know how to play the systems. Many do and they dont even have the passport that you have.

Good Luck

7 years is the limit in the uk for credit card debt.

But remember he doesn't owe the original bank anything.

This would of been sold on to various debt collectors to attempt to collect payment. The bank would of sold the debt a long long time ago.

Oh and I have more sympathy for the guy than i have in my little finger for banking system that make billions by overcharging and useing other peoples money to make the billion dollar profits.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So are you condoning such behavior of " getting back at the banks?" so if every one will think

and act like you think, what will be left of our banking system? could we ever be trusted by

the banks again for any credit what so ever?

• Like 1