Why no diesel cars?

lorus59

Back to the OP's question I would put the lack of availability of diesel cars down to lack of information/education on the part of consumers which leads to a lack of demand coupled with economies of scale for the main Japanese manufacturers. The Vios (as do many models) only comes with one engine choice which dates back to the Soluna. As many posters have said in the world's 2nd largest market, the EU, diesels are a popular choice

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that if one of you guys wanted to undertake the "education campaign", and guaranteed one of the local manufacturers minimum sales of 5K units/month, they'd do a production run for you :P

Does anyone here actually think that these big, global manufacturers are completely missing the market here?

I'm sure that if one of you guys wanted to undertake the "education campaign", and guaranteed one of the local manufacturers minimum sales of 5K units/month, they'd do a production run for you tongue.png

Does anyone here actually think that these big, global manufacturers are completely missing the market here?

How can they miss the market if they make it? As if there would be any choice.

Edited by I knew this would happen

I'm sure that if one of you guys wanted to undertake the "education campaign", and guaranteed one of the local manufacturers minimum sales of 5K units/month, they'd do a production run for you tongue.png

It's a hotly competitive market with plenty of players - if there was an opportunity to increase sales by offering lower-end diesel engined passenger cars, surely they would take it (especially the tier-2 brands).

There's no doubt the mainstream brands are watching Benz and BMW sales closely, but haven't yet seen a solid business opportunity in their own segments.

The other factor at play here is the slow, but sure, electrification of the passenger car market.

Edited by IMHO

It's a hotly competitive market with plenty of players - if there was an opportunity to increase sales by offering lower-end diesel engined passenger cars, surely they would take it (especially the tier-2 brands).

There's no doubt the mainstream brands are watching Benz and BMW sales closely, but haven't yet seen a solid business opportunity in their own segments.

The other factor at play here is the slow, but sure, electrification of the passenger car market.

For me it looks like everyone is selling the same with just a different badge on it. Noone of the big players has ANYTHING that is outstanding from the masses?! Imagine a Jazz with a small turbo petrol engine like VW or Ford have got it, like 1.4 140 HP 250NM = FUN. I bet the Thais would love it! But why does noone try to sell something "new"?

Merc, BMW, VW may be interesting but that´s a very small segment of the market.

I agree that Thais will prefer the hybrids over the Diesels, just like the Japanese. And someday soon the Diesel won´t be able to compete with the hybrids anymore anyway and loose ground.

Edited by I knew this would happen

For me it looks like everyone is selling the same with just a different badge on it. Noone of the big players has ANYTHING that is outstanding from the masses?! Imagine a Jazz with a small turbo petrol engine like VW or Ford have got it, like 1.4 140 HP 250NM = FUN. I bet the Thais would love it! But why does noone try to sell something "new"?

Merc, BMW, VW may be interesting but that´s a very small segment of the market.

I agree that Thais may prefer the hybrids over the Diesels, just like the Japanese.

It's not just the consumers that prefer hybrids, it's also the government - in the form of tax legislation (EV's and hybrids have "only" 10% excise tax). Same goes for fuel - E85 and NGV are the types subsidised by the government (and supported by excise tax breaks) for use in passenger cars.

• Like 1

I knew this would happen, on 29 Apr 2014 - 10:22, said:
Ace of Pop, on 28 Apr 2014 - 16:14, said:

Perhaps there are folks who don't like the Sound of them. Im one.thumbsup.gif

The only downside of a Diesel yes. Of course I´m in love with everything that has 6 cylindes +, but I also really like Diesel cars for some reason, maybe cause I grew up in the countryside and developed some passion for tractor sounds. biggrin.png

But I think Vdub did an ok job with the sound design on the new Golf VII GTD 184. A great car, was at the dealer for a test drive.

I Worked with Diesel to,in retirement i prefer a whisper to a clatter, plus i hate all the power at the bottom end and no wide rev band. Rented an Oiler 1.8 Fiesta 20 odd years back ,and there seems no improvement today.

There's simply no need for the main players to invest in the R&D and marketing for a diesel as they're already profitable with their (mainly) one petrol engine model only range. Ford used to offer a diesel Focus but no longer do so. If one major manufacturer was to offer a diesel then the rest would follow suit. As IMHO pointed out there is also no tax incentive for manufacturers.

• Like 1

Because Toyota Thailand etc. would have to tool up for diesel production. Costs money. Ford tried with Focus TDI not sure how many of you guys bought one of those!

If Fiesta diesel came here. Toyota and Honda would go broke!

The previous model Focus diesel is a good example. Anyone know how well they sold when new compared to the normal Focus? They were not cheap to buy new but resale values were pretty good so someone must like them.

Seems the Focus diesel did not do well enough for Ford to continue with diesel versions of either the new Focus or Fiesta.

Because Toyota Thailand etc. would have to tool up for diesel production. Costs money. Ford tried with Focus TDI not sure how many of you guys bought one of those!

Ford sold the Econetic Fiesta in Australia for around 2 years - it hardly sold, and that's a market that has become very open to diesel passenger cars over the past decade.. Plus it also meant the loss of a "halo" model for Ford (it held the title of most fuel efficient car in AU) - so Ford obviously weren't too sad to see it go.....

The previous model Focus diesel is a good example. Anyone know how well they sold when new compared to the normal Focus? They were not cheap to buy new but resale values were pretty good so someone must like them.

Seems the Focus diesel did not do well enough for Ford to continue with diesel versions of either the new Focus or Fiesta.

No sales numbers for diesel-only, but I do recall Ford saying that the runout they did (which was a big discount - around 200K for memory) dragged on for months longer than they though it would...

I don't understand. So Ford tried with the Focus, which was not a success, but the Fiesta would be such a success it would knock Toyota and Honda of their shoes?

The only downside of a Diesel yes. Of course I´m in love with everything that has 6 cylindes +, but I also really like Diesel cars for some reason, maybe cause I grew up in the countryside and developed some passion for tractor sounds. biggrin.png

But I think Vdub did an ok job with the sound design on the new Golf VII GTD 184. A great car, was at the dealer for a test drive.

A diesel doesn't have to sound all bad wink.png

• Like 1

A diesel doesn't have to sound all bad wink.png

Sounds exactly like a truck.

This is how it ought to sound:

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Perhaps more to the point is ....why is there such a price difference in Petrol and Diesel? I bet they cost the same to make...just ripping-off the majority of people who use motorcycles...

there is a subsidy (they call it that) on diesel, commercial reasons / vehicles.

Anyway, I thought motobikes got great gas mileage, how much does it cost to fill a tank?

Perhaps more to the point is ....why is there such a price difference in Petrol and Diesel? I bet they cost the same to make...just ripping-off the majority of people who use motorcycles...

Sure is more expensive to manufacture a diesel engine compared to a mainstream TH market gasoline engine.

Diesels have much stronger/heavier block and head construction, a commonrail system, a turbocharger, an intercooler, and in some cases a particulate filter and an adblue system - all of which a gasoline engine doesn't have.

Higher end gasoline engines with direct injection and turbos and/or superchargers get closer to matching the production costs of diesel though, but they are normally only found in cars from brands that already sell diesel passenger cars in TH ;)

there is a subsidy (they call it that) on diesel, commercial reasons / vehicles.

Anyway, I thought motobikes got great gas mileage, how much does it cost to fill a tank?

A typical fuel injected 110-125cc Honda scooter gets around 50-55 KM/L, non Fi versions about 5-10% worse. Not that outstanding, considering the next wave of eco cars will do >= 25 KM/L.

Taxation Policy.

According to the Thai Gov Petrol and Diesel both cost around 26 baht/L to make.

There is no subsidy on Diesel, just less tax.

Edited by Jitar

Taxation Policy.

Taxation or sibsidy, same nett result

Sent from my LG-P970

Superb, used as intended. In a Truck.!!!

Not so fast Ace...:

Diesel Supercar Has 190-MPH Top Speed, 2,000-Miles Per Tank

The 6.6-liter turbo-diesel V8 puts out 395 horsepower, and an immense 700 pound feet of torque. It can get from zero to sixty in just 3.7 seconds, on its way to a top speed of 190 mph, making it the fastest diesel car in the world. It can also go 2,000 miles on a single tank of diesel.

01-Magna.jpg

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/diesel-supercar-190-mph-top-speed-2-000-170002134.html

• Like 2

Taxation Policy.

Nothing technically stopping motorbike manufacturers from making E85 compat bikes either (which is subsidised), especially the FI models.

• Like 1

Superb, used as intended. In a Truck.!!!

Not so fast Ace...:

Diesel Supercar Has 190-MPH Top Speed, 2,000-Miles Per Tank

The 6.6-liter turbo-diesel V8 puts out 395 horsepower, and an immense 700 pound feet of torque. It can get from zero to sixty in just 3.7 seconds, on its way to a top speed of 190 mph, making it the fastest diesel car in the world. It can also go 2,000 miles on a single tank of diesel.

01-Magna.jpg

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/diesel-supercar-190-mph-top-speed-2-000-170002134.html

Hmm.. The back of that car (especially the rear windows) looks suspiciously like a female body part.. Camel toe any body?