Older Americans repatriating to the USA -- where is good?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, are you thinking of leaving us .? thumbsup.gif

Hopefully, not soon.

I like to have good options.

I've been checking out options for years. Now I'm thinking the USA should be included in the options.

Joking aside, if I had the cash I would love to live in the USA. Keys for me, I felt at home, and I am English............w00t.gif

Yes it's difficult for non-USA people to retire there as expats. There is no retirement visa for them. I don't know why. There really should be. If rich countries like Australia have that option, certainly the USA should.

Fort Worth Texas? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that option myself. coffee1.gif

Fort Worth ... A very hi-so place with lots of cultural venues... plus on the flip side - it is called 'Cow Town' - the place where the West begins... North Side is Rodeo central ... also some great restaurants... Learn to 'Boot Scoot' - country western dance... TCU offers some great college football (American football of course).

OP, are you thinking of leaving us .? thumbsup.gif

Hopefully, not soon.

I like to have good options.

I've been checking out options for years. Now I'm thinking the USA should be included in the options.

Joking aside, if I had the cash I would love to live in the USA. Keys for me, I felt at home, and I am English............w00t.gif

Yes it's difficult for non-USA people to retire there as expats. There is no retirement visa for them. I don't know why. There really should be. If rich countries like Australia have that option, certainly the USA should.

The USA sells holiday "time shares" on a daily basis to Brits, sooooooooooooo don't really understand why not. After all the USA is FULL of Mexicans with noooooooooooo problems.......sad.png

The USA sells holiday "time shares" on a daily basis to Brits, sooooooooooooo don't really understand why not. After all the USA is FULL of Mexicans with noooooooooooo problems.......sad.png

Yeah but Latino migration is different. Not coming to retire generally. You can buy real estate and live in the USA for six months of the year, right? To me it's crazy not to offer a retirement visa to wealthier foreigners.

It's funny that this topic has come up at this time, when I'm considering a move back @ 67years mostly because of the heat and 13 years as a 2nd class citizen with less rites than a paroled felon.

If I were single, I would seriously consider getting a mid sized Air stream and see all the places mentioned. Call me 'trailer trash', but I have spent a year doing that in the Pacific northwest and it was a cool way to travel and live.

Or maybe if I was a little more adventurious a move to South or Central America as there are lots of countries that are much cheaper, have easier paths to permanent residency and some even offer citizenship. Ecuador is top of my list in South America as the cost and quality of living is on par with Chiang Mai and it is very expat friendly with many choices of climates from the warm coast line to the high Andes...............lots to choose from.

A great resource for anyone wanting to compare places abroad go to http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Ecuador

But, for better [and worse], I'm not single and have to think of places that my Thai family would be easy to adjust to and I've gone full circle and now aiming at Hawaii [big Island] where I spent 25 years before becoming an Asian Addict. Yeah, most costs are higher, but at my age it's more about quality of life and Hawaii has probably the cleanest environment and choice of weather of any places mentioned in the OP.

Edited by jaideeguy

I'm happy some people are interested in this topic. When starting topics, one never knows if there is going to be any response at all.

I would, however, suggest that discussion of non-USA destinations would probably better be discussed here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706247-retirement-if-not-thailand-where/?p=7474870

Mexico is an interesting retirement destination of course, and available to most nationalities. (But they have raised their financial requirements SIGNIFICANTLY!)

For good or bad, retiring to the USA is a more limited scope so mostly only about Americans.

Edited by Jingthing

One of the major reasons for repatriating when older would be do to health care and old age related issues , and with that in mind I Think Florida would be the best choice.

because of it's large numbers of retirees here , Hospitals are second to none, and there are many support services for the elderly,

There is no State income tax, and property tax are low, In Florida there is the Homestead Exemption Act, where your first home is considered your homestead and:

1. "Florida property tax homestead exemption reduces the value of a home for assessment of property taxes by $50,000, so a home that was actually worth $100,000 would be taxed as though it was worth only $50,000.But more importantly , your tax can not increase more than 3% per year"

More specifically, Palm Coast , located 20 min south of St' Augustine and 30 min north of Daytona, 10 min drive from the beach, located in Flagler county

Flagler county was the fastest growing county in the US back when real-estate was booming, and it was hit very hard when real-estate crashed, consequently, there is a large number of new homes available as foreclosure or distress sales at a very reasonable price. A less than 10 year old home 3 bdr 2 bth,1800 aq ft of living space can be had for about $120,000

It is a very safe community . centrally located, (1 hr to Jax., 30 min to Daytona, 1:30 to Orlando) has two asian markets, one of which is very big, and has 3 Thai restaurants and a large Thai communitya

I maintain a residency in the area, so if any one needs further info , feel free to PM me

• Like 1

It is funny & maybe just coincidence but,

I have been hearing quite a few folks say they are moving back to the USA recently.

I just returned from a 3 week US visit after being here in Thailand for a few years.

It was nice & as others have said prices have kind of evened out making many spots

not expensive & in some cases many things/goods are actually cheaper than LOS

Services are still crazy high of course due to wages being so much higher.

Two things that definitely are not cheaper are electricity & eating out....wow

• Like 1

I am a 25 year resident of Northern Florida. I like the area around Gainesville. After several extended volunteer stints in Thailand, I decided to move here 10 years ago because I was having more fun here than there. I was already reasonably proficient in Thai language before moving. I have good medical insurance here in Thailand. I will consider moving back to Florida when Thailand is no longer fun which I don't see as imminent.

Yeah, eating out in the US and most places is always much more expensive and electricity is a factor too, but to be honest, I prefer eating at home from my garden and electricity costs can be lowered even to the point where it can be a source of income if you invest in solar cells. My friend in Hawaii just invested $20K and got tax rebate and in 2 years will pay off his investment and be selling his juice back to the company and making a profit as well as getting free juice.

Two things that definitely are not cheaper are electricity & eating out....wow

I all depends in the market you re in. I maintain homes in Both Florida and New York

New York is outrageously expensive and I would not be there if it was not for work , It costs me $30 a day just in road tolls,to commute to work every day,

In Florida electricity is fairly inexpensive, I average $160 a month with central A/C running 24/7 for 2/3 of the year.

Also because of the lifestyle here in FL , there are many restaurants competing for business, consequently prices are very competitive, we always joke with my wife that it is often cheaper to eat out than to cook at home, If one chooses wisely where they eat, you can have a good meal for $ 10-15. each

on a side bar ,

Many other things are also less expensive in the US than in Thailand, such as Cars, electronics, and clothing

• Like 1

I agree crime is an issue in any American city. As far as American culture, that's one reason I like somewhat big cities with at least a good dose of INTERNATIONAL diversity. For example, a case of a really big city, the INTERNATIONAL suburban areas in N.E. Atlanta are quite interesting. Large populations of Koreans, Chinese, all kinds of Latin Americans, etc along with their supporting businesses. You really can kind of live "abroad" at home!

OK, most people know about Atlanta but I don't think most people know about these interesting nearby SUBURBS. (Also bargain real estate.)

http://www.knowatlanta.com/features/international_atlanta

Buford Highway: Atlanta’s International Corridor
Traversing Buford Highway—six lanes stretching from the shadows of Midtown skyscrapers to Gwinnett County—is like hop-scotching the globe without a passport or the accompanying jet lag. This busy road connects dozens of ethnic communities where immigrants live, work, shop and play together.

In fact, Buford Highway has the highest concentration of ethnic-owned businesses—mostly mom-and-pop shops—in the Southeast, thanks in large part to MARTA rail and bus proximity. Signs are in English, Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese; Hispanic cooks often work in Taiwanese kitchens.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Great topic Jing. I'm 61, not working, and I'll file for retirement early at 62. Come 65 I might consider the states again as well. Many factors to weigh, and some of them may change as the years go by.

I was back in the states for three months recently to take care of family matters. Given my concern that any sort of medical emergency could hurt my cash reserves, I signed up for health insurance in North Carolina. $575 a month.facepalm.gif There are a number of areas in the states I would consider living in, but health insurance costs prevent me from even considering it. At 65, with Medicare, that will not be the huge issue that it is at present. Though do note, that Medicare is not free, and another one of those factors that will bear keeping an eye on.

I agree crime is an issue in any American city. As far as American culture, that's one reason I like somewhat big cities with at least a good dose of INTERNATIONAL diversity. For example, a case of a really big city, the INTERNATIONAL suburban areas in N.E. Atlanta is quite interesting. Large populations of Koreans, Chinese, all kinds of Latin Americans, etc along with their supporting businesses. You really can kind of live "abroad" at home!

I agree the shine has gone off places like Thailand, for many reasons, including being no longer cheap places. As far as crime in Latin America, it is a turn-off, especially great places like Brazil. In the US, it really it true that you have access to the best possible products and services at the lowest prices of anyplace worldwide for the quality.

Regarding diversity, it's true you can get that in many SUBURBAN US areas now, where in years past, that used to be a large city urban feature.

If I ever repatriated, it would be to a warm climate, and really I am a Western US person, so would have to be Arizona, Nevada or California. If budget were a big consideration, I would probably consider New Mexico somewhere nice. Also a great place for what if offers.

Food is a big priority to me. If you live in a decent sized U.S. area, you'll have access to at least DECENT versions of a wide range of "ethnic" options and also great sources of all kinds of ingredients. Move to most places in Latin America outside of the greatest cities and your options for range of decent ethnic options (other then the native) becomes much more limited (same limitation in Thailand).

Food is a big priority to me. If you live in a decent sized U.S. area, you'll have access to at least DECENT versions of a wide range of "ethnic" options and also great sources of all kinds of ingredients. Move to most places in Latin America outside of the greatest cities and your options for range of decent ethnic options (other then the native) becomes much more limited (same limitation in Thailand).

The problem with food in the US, is that it seems like the whole country has been taken over by McFood chains of all sorts, huge restaurant chains that though serving good food in many cases, is too homogeneous. It seems that great ethnic and other restaurants are still mostly concentrated in major urban areas, though there are also good restaurants and pop up in the least likely suburban strip malls too.

The problem with food in the US, is that it seems like the whole country has been taken over by McFood chains of all sorts, huge restaurant chains that though serving good food in many cases, is too homogeneous. It seems that great ethnic and other restaurants are still mostly concentrated in major urban areas, though there are also good restaurants and pop up in the least likely suburban strip malls too.

Yes that might indeed be true for most of the USA but there really are exceptions and interestingly often in the SUBURBS. The same phenom happened in the suburbs of Washington D.C. -- rather a haven for ethnic food lovers.

Not an option $ wise, but on the topic of food and South America, Sao Paulo has more Japanese than any other city in the Americas. Lots of wonderful Japanese restaurants.

Not an option $ wise, but on the topic of food and South America, Sao Paulo has more Japanese than any other city in the Americas. Lots of wonderful Japanese restaurants.

Yes of course, that would be a GREAT city and also of course not a typical retirement destination for Americans. More for working/business though. Same with Italian food in Buenos Aires ... but good luck with their Chinese food (yuck).

OK, sorry, back to the U.S.S.A. por favor!

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I spent several years doing business and traveling monthly to Sao Paolo, and what you say is true. I was amazed at the number of expat Japanese there, just loads of them. All seemingly completely integrated, speaking native quality Portuguese.

A larger city in the U.S.A. typically has decent options of a WIDE , global range. Not just one or two "other" good options.

Thailand whine -- I'll never understand why good Malaysian, Cambodia, and Burmese food is so rare to find here. Imagine the USA where it was hard to find Mexican food!

Edited by Jingthing

If I were on a budget, Orlando would fit the bill.

Plenty of cheap property to buy or rent, not to mention trailer parks.

Cost of living is reasonable.

As for the poster suggesting Texas.

If I owned Hell and Texas, I would live in Hell and rent out Texas.

That's funny.

Trailer parks? Oh please I hope not ... but it beats the streets!

If I were on a budget, Orlando would fit the bill.

Plenty of cheap property to buy or rent, not to mention trailer parks.

Cost of living is reasonable.

As for the poster suggesting Texas.

If I owned Hell and Texas, I would live in Hell and rent out Texas.

That's funny.

Trailer parks? Oh please I hope not ... but it beats the streets!

If you want the heat and humidity of Thailand then try Orlando. Awful.

Yes of course, that would be a GREAT city and also of course not a typical retirement destination for Americans. More for working/business though. Same with Italian food in Buenos Aires ... but good luck with their Chinese food (yuck).

OK, sorry, back to the U.S.S.A. por favor!

Getting off topic a bit, but yes, the food options in Buenos Aires are horrible. One of the main reasons, among others, that I left. If you desire a steady diet of red meat, spuds, pizza, pasta and ham and cheese sandwiches then you'll be delighted.biggrin.png

• Like 2