Reckless maintenance caused accident during parachute drill in Phetchaburi

webfact

So much for preventive maintenance!

Don't these clowns have any safety systems operating that work?...I mean....cadets jumping out of a plane and no checks on equipment condition....!

I think here that preventative maintenance is taken that your prevent any maintenance taking place.

As usual only half the story with regard to negligence. Both victims would have known in the first 3 to 4 seconds of free fall so why did they not deploy their reserve chutes. Lack of proper training and assesment at jump school.

Both victims died as a result of professional negligence on behalf of both the instructors and maintenance staff. Both groups are culpable. Not just the typical poort maintenance but also inadequate training.Furtheremore the Jumpmaster also has a responsibility to ensure that all equiptment relevant to deployment on the aircraft is fully functional, however this does not include the individual parachute static line draw cords.

Possibly the unfortunate cadets had only 3 to 4 seconds of total fall, let alone free fall.

Can't recall reading just how high the jump aircraft was when the cadets exited the plane. unsure.png

From 1000 ft you have 8 seconds of free fall give or take. This jump I believe was from 1200 ft so some extra time there. Close to ten seconds would be more correct. Minus the last three seconds of which deploying the reserve is far too late. That gives you 7 seconds to react. And that is a hell of a lot of time to carry out the malfunction drill. Provided one possess the correct training.

I witnessed a young man on only his second jump. I was on the DZ and he had a total malfunction at 1000 ft [ We learnt later that his static line was severed by his shadow jumpers D bag during a sim doors exit.] This guy had it out with at least 500 ft to spare. Difference in quality of training, equipment and aptitude of participants I would say makes the difference.

• Like 2

I presume the "static line" is the line fitted inside the aircraft that parachutists clip onto before jumping out.

Maybe the person who condemned the line in the first place should have taken a penknife to the line.

The 'static line cable' is the steal webbed cable inside the aircraft. The actual 'static line' is the yellow 2000 lb breaking strength line the jumper hooks on to the static line cable, which runs all the way down to the tie offs on the back of the pack tray.

I was a Maintenance Coordinator for many years in the USA and I was always up to date on preventive maintenance. For the most part Thaiand gets an F grade when it comes to preventive maintenance, many home owners would rather let outside wood on a building rot, instead of painting it to last longer.

Nothing better than getting one's malfunction drills down pat during ground training before going up. Saves lives ! wai.gif

What is unusual about this incident is 2 deaths in close proximity, both blamed on improper maintenance. I'm wondering if there was any malfunction training...or even capewells/reserves?

God help them if ever a 'real ' war started. Half of the Military would die from internal screw ups before they ever met the enemy and more than half of the 'Generals ' would be on Planes heading as far away from Thailand as possible.

And based on the fact that 1/2 the Thai army are generals, that would just leave a few thousand generals and no-one to order around.

In the UK, if there's a parachute malfunction and a person dies, parachute packers are immediately removed from duty and placed on a charge of manslaughter until an investigation has been concluded.

They will be court-martialled if it is thought the incident was due to their negligence.

Further, during training, all packers have to jump with canopies they have packed themselves,. That keeps them on the ball!

It was the static line cable which failed. The assembly consists of a 3/16 inch diameter steel multistrand cable. On each end a forkend connector is swaged onto the cable. Because this is a specific length - to suit attachment to the aircraft structure strong points - it must come as an assembly under a specific Part Number.

The photographs shown to the media shortly after the incident showed that the cable had fractured at the entry point of one of the fork connectors. The cable was frayed but discoloured and looked to me as if it had been heated suggesting an unauthorised repair

Swaged cable ends are common in aircraft much used in flying control runs and other applications and, subject to periodic inspection have an excellent safety record. But any form of repair by reswaging or welding is prohibited.

The description 'reckless maintenance' is misleading. It seems that new or serviceable cable assemblies were available yet the installed cable was not replaced. If the installed cable was recorded as requiring replacement then for the para drop mission it should not have been accepted by the crew especially the jumpmaster.

As with all things here, there is more to this than is being revealed.

People know that one of those who died had previously complained about the behavour of the instructor, causing the instructor to be docked promotion points and having to repeat a class that they had already taught?

People know that one of those who died had previously complained about the behavour of the instructor, causing the instructor to be docked promotion points and having to repeat a class that they had already taught?

Given what we know about so many Thais and both the propensity toward violence and cheapness of human life, I think this is probably the most important point.

Just like all other disasters and fatal accidents, wait for something to happen first, then fix the problem. It seems to be in our culture. Or are we incapable of understanding the words “Preventative Maintenance”? or are we just too lazy or too busy playing on our tablets or sending messages on our mobile devices?

The failure to do the right thing before someone is killed happens in every culture, just plain incompetence and being lazy is the usual reason.

Except in Europe where it has gone too far,, preventative laws are put in place through fear of chipping a nail.

Another sad story this week.

RIP the 2 cadets.

If Thais could follow the international safety regulations these accidents would never happen.

Thai airways is Thai owned with an excellent reputation , they have to follow the rest of the world regarding maintenance or else they will not be allowed up in the air . I just wish others could open their eyes and start to think about safety first in this country.

Theres much more to this.

The cable shown is 10mm stainless....looks as though the swage failed.....but it only really pulls the rip cord....does not take full body weight....also....unless its been seriously stressed......interesting they display the break......

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app