Why do so many TV users dislike Thailand so much and yet stay?

beb

Thailand has so much to enjoy.

It also has a very big cesspool which attracts the flies of the world.

Sadly the smell of shit can sometimes permeate and invade the senses, making it hard to enjoy good things when overcome by it.

If you want a "real" cesspool, just visit Soho in London. No country is innocent from P4P.

Casting the first stone springs to mind while reading some of the replies on here, and it reminds me that some people despise for the benefit of others what they secretly wish to have in their own life.

Seriously..you think those of us that talk down about certain sides of Thailand really infact secretly wish to have it in our own lives..?

Are you on planet earth or what...?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a "real" cesspool, just visit Soho in London. No country is innocent from P4P.

Casting the first stone springs to mind while reading some of the replies on here, and it reminds me that some people despise for the benefit of others what they secretly wish to have in their own life.

Seriously..you think those of us that talk down about certain sides of Thailand really infact secretly wish to have it in our own lives..?

Laura are you really that naive?

http://rollingout.com/culture/15-religious-leaders-who-were-caught-in-sex-scandals/

15 Religious Leaders Who Were Caught in Sex Scandals
  • Like 1

It is just a normal man living in Asia. The term is used disparagingly by jealous folks from other parts of the world with more parochial life styles.

You think it's normal to pay for sex?

Not everyone here shares your lifestyle.

Sex is always paid for. It just isn't always with money.

rolleyes.gif That ole chestnut....

Another one,

To all apparent beauties blind, each blemish strikes an envious mind

• Like 1

I love the argument some studs use "sex is always paid for".

Sent from my c64

That's what I told Rupert. His latest cost him 56 billion baht. smile.png That Rupert he's the man. Mel Gibson you know that girl married him for his looks and personality. His last divorce only cost 1 and a half billion baht.

Want to hear about Tom Cruise?

You right man. Only losers pay for it.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Monogamy has nothing to do with this.

One can be polygamous without contributing to the exploitation of another human being - regardless of whether or not they actually believe themselves to be exploited.

Hell, I'm ain't monogamous either but I satisfy my appetites with women who aren't forced by job description of financial imperative to accommodate me. This is how I rolled back in the UK and it's how I roll here

Anyway this is all largely moot. In a decade's time, I would hope that Thailand will be creating opportunities for young people that mean they don't have to demean and degrade themselves servicing the odious appetites of depraved Western men for a pittance.

American troops wrote home in such colourful terms about being propositioned by **********s and “good-time” girls in the West End of London that the US military demanded action be taken to curb the “debauchery”. So bad was the West End considered to be that US troops who caught venereal disease became known as “Piccadilly commandos”.

Leicester Square at night is the resort of the worst type of women and girls consorting with men of the British and American Forces. At night the Square is apparently given over to a vicious debauchery.”

Canadian soldiers fathered an estimated 23,000 children in wartime liaisons.

By Lewis Smith

The Times

Do you find it ironic that the old geezers retiring to Thailand today were born during or directly after the above occurred during WWII?

Reading about Thailand written by Portuguese and French sailors in the 1500's gives the same impression. Coming to Thailand for a good time is nothing new.

When I first got to Thailand one went to Hong Kong for a good time if you were rich and Bangkok if you were poor. Not much has changed except they don't pee in the elevators in Singapore much anymore.

If Thailand has not changed much in the last 500 years I doubt if another ten will make much difference.

I also doubt that the morals of the next generation will be much better than the "great generation" that endured the depression, WWII and the ladies of London. biggrin.png

Self-serving drivel

I don't find it ironic because I doubt they were crawling down Wardour Street in nappies propositioning streetwalkers with a handful of shillings but, of course, I could be wrong. Try it now, tell me how much it costs.

The same will happen here eventually whether you accept it or not.

Sent from my c64

That's what I told Rupert. His latest cost him 56 billion baht. smile.png That Rupert he's the man. Mel Gibson you know that girl married him for his looks and personality. His last divorce only cost 1 and a half billion baht.

Should have told Rupert you had it all sussed and he should come to Nana with you and pay for it... Thanks for the tip

Sent from my c64

http://rollingout.com/culture/15-religious-leaders-who-were-caught-in-sex-scandals/

YOu dont think i can walk out my door right this second and get sex? I wouldnt even need to pay..like some.

I could hope into a bar, give a guy a nice smile, whisper in his ear that im horny, and id be on my back (or whatever position i fancy) in a heartbeat.

..no, im not envious that others choose to live a debauched lifestyle. If i wanted it, i could have it.

Stop being so naive.

YOu dont think i can walk out my door right this second and get sex? I wouldnt even need to pay..like some.

I could hope into a bar, give a guy a nice smile, whisper in his ear that im horny, and id be on my back (or whatever position i fancy) in a heartbeat.

..no, im not envious that others choose to live a debauched lifestyle. If i wanted it, i could have it.

Stop being so naive.

Oh come on. It's obvious that the quote you were talking about, "Seriously..you think those of us that talk down about certain sides of Thailand really in fact secretly wish to have it in our own lives" was not about women. It is also obvious I was not talking about women.

• Like 1

Sent from my c64

Should have told Rupert you had it all sussed and he should come to Nana with you and pay for it... Thanks for the tip

Sent from my c64

If you read the story that caused him to get a divorce I think he would agree with you. Do you have any idea who he married or what caused his divorce? I don't care how rich the dude is 56 billion baht is not chump change.

Sent from my c64

You forgot Tiger Woods!

You're kidding yourself if you think everybody aspires to the whoremonger lifestyle. Pity, laughter or embarrassment are more likely reactions.

San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen, writing about the UN, said "the United Nations was founded at Sally Stanford's whorehouse,"

Not only the United Nations but wars have been fought over and countries governed by ladies of the night.

What is the oldest most profitable profession in the world?

Pity, laughter or embarrassment of whom? wink.png

• Like 1

The classic "You pay for it one way or another" must have gotten old by now, surely?

It's pathetic and is used by hard up guys who need to make themselves feel better about what they're doing out here.

It's as if they'd have us believe that all they're doing is cutting out the courtship, the dinner dates, the cinema and all the other stuff to get right down to the nitty-gritty

That's BS - they've just got little or no choice and contrary to what many might think, it's not that they're unattractive, it's just that they're bereft of qualities that make women interested in sleeping with them

• Like 1

The classic "You pay for it one way or another" must have gotten old by now, surely?

It's pathetic and is used by hard up guys who need to make themselves feel better about what they're doing out here.

It's as if they'd have us believe that all they're doing is cutting out the courtship, the dinner dates, the cinema and all the other stuff to get right down to the nitty-gritty

That's BS - they've just got little or no choice and contrary to what many might think, it's not that they're unattractive, it's just that they're bereft of qualities that make women interested in sleeping with them

Tiger Woods, Hugh Grant, Charlie Sheen, Eliot Spitzer, Jerry Springer, Eddie Murphy, Wayne Rooney, Boy George, David Beckham, Silvio Berlusconi.

http://radaronline.com/photos/they-paid-for-sex-25-shocking-celebrity-prostitution-scandals/photo/571308/

This is a question that I've had ever since I moved to Thailand but it usually raises its head in forums on other topics and it never seems to be a good time to broach the subject on those threads. But I am genuinely curious about this topic and hope that somebody here can give me some insight.

Ever since signing up for ThaiVisa, the one thing that strikes me is the large number of people on here who seem to genuinely despise Thailand, the Thai people, the Thai police, the government and on and on. I've lived in many foreign countries and we all have our quibbles about things we don't like but I've never been in a country where so many people who made the decision to move to a country, decide to stay while complaining so much. I mean, it's really confounding.

I certainly have my problems but none are very great and I know I'm making trade offs by living here. So I'm not some Pollyanna who just things are awesome all the time.

Can somebody explain to me, and I think a lot of others, why you remain in Thailand if you are so unhappy here? Are you unable to move? Do circumstances make it impossible to return to your home country and take you family?

And if you can't go home, why not move to another country that is perhaps a better fit?

Every time I come on Thaivisa I find myself asking this question but I never actually asked it (I don't think) so I would really appreciate it if somebody could give me some insight that perhaps I am missing.

Thanks.

People here are not so whiney as you might think, they just go mad when they play politicians. On the other hand, that is the fun part, well for me it is, making jokes on the haters, chanting for the Poop (not the Pope)....all the fun we have!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Another question could blame the host country: why can't Thailand attract and retain [well adjusted, polite, smart, successful, culturally sensitive, younger, richer, etc.] farangs?

It can - I know plenty of people here that fit that description. They just don't post here, probably because it has a reputation as a den of whinging whoremongers.

Of course we have our own anecdotes suggesting there are some. However, I would have to strongly disagree with the implication that these chaps are the majority. There are places in Asia where these guys gravitate in higher as percentage numbers. Singapore is one, China is another. Japan, Korea ditto.

There's some reason why Thailand cannot attract and retain a high enough number of these kinds of people to change the (earned) perception. I suggest it's the Thai state and culture that should have some considerable blame placed with it.

This question, by the way, is one the apologists have no answer for.

And, I should add, to be clear, some percentage of these falangs would never be the type that Thais are trying to attract. But, I suspect many here might be quite different if they believed that the Thai state truly welcomed them and their families and treated them fairly under the law and had immigration policies that made them feel secure. Why learn a damn hard language, for instance, if you might not be admitted into the country next year?

I fully agree with your last comment.

I'm a small entrepreneur, and if I felt there is a reasonable chance I can do business here and compete under the same terms as Thais, I would most likely invest my time and money here. But hearing all the stories about biased laws, corruption, lack of decency, etc, I just "give up" and put my efforts elsewhere.

So I live here knowing that I can't earn my money here, and can't ever become a citizen or even a permanent resident, so there is very little incentive to integrate. Just live my life in a parallel universe to the Thais, with the exception of female companionship which is the most positive side of life here.

• Like 1

Of course we have our own anecdotes suggesting there are some. However, I would have to strongly disagree with the implication that these chaps are the majority. There are places in Asia where these guys gravitate in higher as percentage numbers. Singapore is one, China is another. Japan, Korea ditto.

There's some reason why Thailand cannot attract and retain a high enough number of these kinds of people to change the (earned) perception. I suggest it's the Thai state and culture that should have some considerable blame placed with it.

And, I should add, to be clear, some percentage of these falangs would never be the type that Thais are trying to attract. But, I suspect many here might be quite different if they believed that the Thai state truly welcomed them and their families and treated them fairly under the law and had immigration policies that made them feel secure. Why learn a damn hard language, for instance, if you might not be admitted into the country next year?

I'm a small entrepreneur, and if I felt there is a reasonable chance I can do business here and compete under the same terms as Thais, I would most likely invest my time and money here. But hearing all the stories about biased laws, corruption, lack of decency, etc, I just "give up" and put my efforts elsewhere.

So I live here knowing that I can't earn my money here, and can't ever become a citizen or even a permanent resident, so there is very little incentive to integrate. Just live my life in a parallel universe to the Thais, with the exception of female companionship which is the most positive side of life here.

Thailand is chocked full of foreign owned businesses and investors and foreign managers and people who have gained permanent residence.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

Edited by thailiketoo

Thailand is chocked full of foreign owned businesses and investors and foreign managers and people who have gained permanent residence.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

Perhaps you can enlighten me about this huge number of permanent residents, as I haven't met any of them yet. Everyone I know has to renew his visa at least once a year.

As for businesses, I am aware there are multinational companies here, but I am not on that scale yet.

As for successful small businesses, owned by foreigners, I haven't encountered them, although I assume some do exist. And most are either registered on the wife's name, or some Thai partner's name, or otherwise work outside the law, and this is just not my style...

There are enough places where they let you do business and compete fairly, without putting all those obstacles in front of you...

Edited by soomak

Perhaps you can enlighten me about this huge number of permanent residents, as I haven't met any of them yet. Everyone I know has to renew his visa at least once a year.

As for businesses, I am aware there are multinational companies here, but I am not on that scale yet.

As for successful small businesses, owned by foreigners, I haven't encountered them, although I assume some do exist. And most are either registered on the wife's name, or some Thai partner's name, or otherwise work outside the law, and this is just not my style...

There are enough places where they let you do business and compete fairly, without putting all those obstacles in front of you...

I listed the permanent residence link above. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

The American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand has 700 members. I don't know how many the British Chamber has but they have been here since the 1940's so I assume a lot.

As far as I know you can own a business but not the land except in some circumstances but that's another discussion. Since I'm an American I use the Treaty of Amity.

I know hundreds of people who own their own business. Take a ride through an industrial estate sometime. An American named Bill did pretty well with a $2,000 loan 30 or so years ago. Now his company is called Minor international I think. It's called Minor because he wasn't 21 when he started the company.

I guess it makes more sense if you see the dinners, dates etc as simply something you endure in order to get to the sex - rather than actually enjoying the company of a woman outside the bedroom as well as in.

Yes, like at home, no difference!

Yeah. Nothing like a stroll down Soi Cowboy to soak up the 'culture', eh?

I have never been to Soi Cowboy or Khaosan road. I think those are tourist places. The last time I was a tourist in Bangkok neither existed as they now are.

So does your cultural experience stem from when exactly?

You know how it's easy for young children to pick up another language? Same thing culture. I was a child when I first came to South East Asia. I grew up here and then went back to the West. Lets say my hero's were not cowboys; I leaned towards Yul Brunner types. My father had a couple of mia nois and so did Eisenhower, Kennedy and Roosevelt and my favorite Bill Clinton all had a bit of Thainess to them.

Why do so many users dislike Thailand but stay?

Again I ask you to pinpoint posts where there may have been an indication of that.

You believe in absolutism, old fashioned black and white. Probably have lived by that code your entire life. I bet that little personality quirk must have cost you a few friends or even relationships.

Thank god there are more mature people than you around that understands the difference between criticism and all out bashing.

So does your cultural experience stem from when exactly?

You know how it's easy for young children to pick up another language? Same thing culture. I was a child when I first came to South East Asia. I grew up here and then went back to the West. Lets say my hero's were not cowboys; I leaned towards Yul Brunner types. My father had a couple of mia nois and so did Eisenhower, Kennedy and Roosevelt and my favorite Bill Clinton all had a bit of Thainess to them.

Why do so many users dislike Thailand but stay?

Again I ask you to pinpoint posts where there may have been an indication of that.

You believe in absolutism, old fashioned black and white. Probably have lived by that code your entire life. I bet that little personality quirk must have cost you a few friends or even relationships.

Thank god there are more mature people than you around that understands the difference between criticism and all out bashing.

Sorry I thought you were asking, "So does your cultural experience stem from when exactly?"

The rest I don't know what you are talking about. If you like Thailand, that's cool. I don't care one way or the other.

It is viable to have a business here in Thailand particularly one that is labour intensive. What most don't get is that having your main market as Thailand will probably end in tears. I have been manufacturing here for about 5 years and very profitably at that, but my market is not Thailand, it is my home country of Australia. As for the business environment, I find it little different to home as long as you play by the rules. Go into competition with a local Thai company in their market and I am sure things are different.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It is viable to have a business here in Thailand particularly one that is labour intensive. What most don't get is that having your main market as Thailand will probably end in tears. I have been manufacturing here for about 5 years and very profitably at that, but my market is not Thailand, it is my home country of Australia. As for the business environment, I find it little different to home as long as you play by the rules. Go into competition with a local Thai company in their market and I am sure things are different.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And treat the staff better than they would be if employed by a Thai company and pay them a decent wage.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I listed the permanent residence link above. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

The American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand has 700 members. I don't know how many the British Chamber has but they have been here since the 1940's so I assume a lot.

As far as I know you can own a business but not the land except in some circumstances but that's another discussion. Since I'm an American I use the Treaty of Amity.

I know hundreds of people who own their own business. Take a ride through an industrial estate sometime. An American named Bill did pretty well with a $2,000 loan 30 or so years ago. Now his company is called Minor international I think. It's called Minor because he wasn't 21 when he started the company.

I read the permanent residence thread:

It does not give you the right to work in Thailand, or own land, and actually doesn't give you any real advantages from my POV. You just pay 190K baht and go through many hoops, but at the end of day you have practically the same rights as a guy on retirement or marriage visa.

According to this thread, only 200-300 people per year to go through this process, and it sometimes takes years to be approved (people that done it in 2006, got approved in 2012...).

On the other hand, my cousin, which has a Canadian passport thanks to her mom (which was born there), is now getting a Canadian PR permit for her husband. After he gets it, he will be able to work, own a business, own land, and have similar rights to Canadian citizens, with the exception of voting.

My aunt (the one which was born in Canada), has moved to Vancouver a year ago with her husband. He wasn't born in Canada, but he is now a Canadian citizen thanks to his wife.

As for businesses, I read the info 3+ years ago, when I moved here. The ownership laws, business culture, judicial system, corruption, quality of work force - everything I read led to one conclusion: do your business elsewhere.

But again - if your mind is set to telling us what a great country this is - so be it, to each his own...

It does not give you the right to work in Thailand, or own land, and actually doesn't give you any real advantages from my POV. You just pay 190K baht and go through many hoops, but at the end of day you have practically the same rights as a guy on retirement or marriage visa.

According to this thread, only 200-300 people per year to go through this process, and it sometimes takes years to be approved (people that done it in 2006, got approved in 2012...).

On the other hand, my cousin, which has a Canadian passport thanks to her mom (which was born there), is now getting a Canadian PR permit for her husband. After he gets it, he will be able to work, own a business, own land, and have similar rights to Canadian citizens, with the exception of voting.

My aunt (the one which was born in Canada), has moved to Vancouver a year ago with her husband. He wasn't born in Canada, but he is now a Canadian citizen thanks to his wife.

As for businesses, I read the info 3+ years ago, when I moved here. The ownership laws, business culture, judicial system, corruption, quality of work force - everything I read led to one conclusion: do your business elsewhere.

But again - if your mind is set to telling us what a great country this is - so be it, to each his own...

But the question isn't whether Thailand is a great country or not, it is why, if you dislike Thailand as much as many people here do, you continue to live here. I've never tried to deny the many problems of Thailand, in spite of some claims that I'm with the Thailand Booster's Club, I'm just trying to understand why people remain while miserable.

Do you know how dumb it is to compare Thailand with Canada?

• Like 1