Why do so many TV users dislike Thailand so much and yet stay?

beb

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Nothing like a stroll down Soi Cowboy to soak up the 'culture', eh?

I have never been to Soi Cowboy or Khaosan road. I think those are tourist places. The last time I was a tourist in Bangkok neither existed as they now are.

I have never been to Soi Cowboy or Khaosan road. I think those are tourist places. The last time I was a tourist in Bangkok neither existed as they now are.

So does your cultural experience stem from when exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So does your cultural experience stem from when exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You know how it's easy for young children to pick up another language? Same thing culture. I was a child when I first came to South East Asia. I grew up here and then went back to the West. Lets say my hero's were not cowboys; I leaned towards Yul Brunner types. My father had a couple of mia nois and so did Eisenhower, Kennedy and Roosevelt and my favorite Bill Clinton all had a bit of Thainess to them.

Why do so many users dislike Thailand but stay?

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance but when people use "monger", does that mean Whoremonger? I've never come across that term so I'm just taking a shot in the dark.

It is just a normal man living in Asia. The term is used disparagingly by jealous folks from other parts of the world with more parochial life styles.

Does that mean that it does mean "whoremonger"?

Different folks have different meanings for words. Different people have different cultural norms. Some people have 4 wives and other cultures that is illegal. Some business transactions are sealed with a handshake and a beer others KTV and a bottle. In the business world proprietary is not the same in China, Japan and the USA. If I completed a million dollar deal in China we would not celebrate in the same manner as America. Some people are turtles and try and carry their world in a shell on their back others can adapt to another culture without the weight of the shell.

Um, I'm going to try one more time and hope that somebody will do me the favor of simply answering the question directly. I've noticed in this thread the use of the term "monger". I'm not familiar with that term and never noticed it anywhere else but clearly people use it to describe other people. All I really want to know definitively is where that term comes from. Judging from the context, my guess is that it refers to "whoremonger" but I just want to make sure I'm correct in my assumption.

I'm not trying to make a value judgement here, just trying to get the facts. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by beb

Um, I'm going to try one more time and hope that somebody will do me the favor of simply answering the question directly. I've noticed in this thread the use of the term "monger". I'm not familiar with that term and never noticed it anywhere else but clearly people use it to describe other people. All I really want to know definitively is where that term comes from. Judging from the context, my guess is that it refers to "whoremonger" but I just want to make sure I'm correct in my assumption.

I'm not trying to make a value judgement here, just trying to get the facts. Thanks in advance for any help.

You know about the give a man a fish story? Well, have you tried google? Google fish monger. Then google Thai monger.

Used in the current context, yes, you are correct in your assumption but you'll have to forgive thailiketoo; he's the sort to tell you that he's a former CIA operative who's gone dark since the Bay of Pigs.

He is Walter Mitty

Excuse my ignorance but when people use "monger", does that mean Whoremonger? I've never come across that term so I'm just taking a shot in the dark.

It is just a normal man living in Asia. The term is used disparagingly by jealous folks from other parts of the world with more parochial life styles.

Normal within the confines of an opium high, sure.

Traipsing around Asia's underbelly, "keeping abreast of current [mongering] trends" - cheesy.gif - drooling over exploited women hoping to recapture the "high" you got from your first few P4P sessions but never quite managing it.

You really think other guys are jealous of that??

laugh.png

I mean, come on . . . . look how deluded it's made you

Used in the current context, yes, you are correct in your assumption but you'll have to forgive thailiketoo; he's the sort to tell you that he's a former CIA operative who's gone dark since the Bay of Pigs.

He is Walter Mitty

Normal within the confines of an opium high, sure.

Traipsing around Asia's underbelly, "keeping abreast of current [mongering] trends" - cheesy.gif - drooling over exploited women hoping to recapture the "high" you got from your first few P4P sessions but never quite managing it.

You really think other guys are jealous of that??

laugh.png

I mean, come on . . . . look how deluded it's made you

A good example. wai2.gif

Edited by thailiketoo

I see nothing wrong in complaining about the whiners . in fact the whiners should be happy since the have more that they can whine about . As some did :blink:

Complain on whiners!! This is your time to shine!!!

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

Thailand has so much to enjoy.
It also has a very big cesspool which attracts the flies of the world.
Sadly the smell of shit can sometimes permeate and invade the senses, making it hard to enjoy good things when overcome by it.

• Like 2

You know about the give a man a fish story? Well, have you tried google? Google fish monger. Then google Thai monger.

Apparently this is the word that must not be explained. Yeah, we all know how to google but I always like to ask directly than depending on google. So now I know that mongers are sex tourists. Thanks!

Sadly the smell of shit can sometimes permeate and invade the senses, making it hard to enjoy good things when overcome by it.

In the human equation there are many different numbers. I don't seek to glorify any one or tear down anyone. One mans meat is another man's poison. There are many places in the world where men are not monogamous. Who is to say what is right. Upon entering Thailand from many of other countries one is asked the number of wife or wives you are bringing in to the country.

Some people are not monogamous some are. Who is to say which is correct. Why should one group suffer the slings and arrows of another.

I have never met a woman in Thailand that I felt was exploited or I would have assisted her get unexploited.

I have met a number of men in Thailand both Thai and others who were being exploited. Up to them.

I guess I should have done something but have discovered it wiser to just let men plod along and figure out life on their own.

• Like 1

Apparently this is the word that must not be explained. Yeah, we all know how to google but I always like to ask directly than depending on google. So now I know that mongers are sex tourists. Thanks!

The word is in such common usage that I'm afraid no one took you seriously when you asked for a definition.

• Like 1

Fair enough. You have a unique experience.

This is one of the things that's odd about this place. It's full of people who think the only reason to come here is to exploit the women.

True. But in the end, many of them actually end up getting exploited and shafted by the women. And their only recourse is to pour it out on TV or drown it in alcohol.

I see nothing wrong in complaining about the whiners . in fact the whiners should be happy since the have more that they can whine about . As some did :blink:

Complain on whiners!! This is your time to shine!!!

Says it all :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bj6ekG8XNo

Forget Grumpy Old Men, these guys practically invented it. ... The Best Of The Muppet Show ...

The best garden in the world needs a little manure.

You don't have to like or praise the manure though do you.

Negative advertising promotes Thailand? You don't really believe that do you? I mean really, Thailand does enough themselves with political turmoil, airport closures, floods and coups not to need any Farang bad mouthing to compliment the normal mix.

Thailand "does" the floods. Really?

Additionally, I think many of us find very little to respect of Thailand.

Check expat forums in even other countries in Asia and you won't find as much of the same type of complaining.

The main things that make Thailand perhaps more livable than other, similarly undeveloped countries is that Thais are At Least not very aggressive. They just kind of leave us alone, and we leave them alone and it works out well for everyone

You think Thais are not very aggressive? I beg to differ. Yeah, they'll leave you alone as long as you behave yourself.

I'm not saying this in a negative way. I admire the way they stick up for themselves in the face of arrogant, overbearing foreigners. I love the way they handle Russians, who themselves tend to be very pushy. The Thais (in Pattaya) are very quick to put them in their place. I find most shop assistants don't concern themselves too much with "customer is always right" if they're obviously wrong.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In the human equation there are many different numbers. I don't seek to glorify any one or tear down anyone. One mans meat is another man's poison. There are many places in the world where men are not monogamous. Who is to say what is right. Upon entering Thailand from many of other countries one is asked the number of wife or wives you are bringing in to the country.

Some people are not monogamous some are. Who is to say which is correct. Why should one group suffer the slings and arrows of another.

I have never met a woman in Thailand that I felt was exploited or I would have assisted her get unexploited.

I have met a number of men in Thailand both Thai and others who were being exploited. Up to them.

I guess I should have done something but have discovered it wiser to just let men plod along and figure out life on their own.

Monogamy has nothing to do with this.

One can be polygamous without contributing to the exploitation of another human being - regardless of whether or not they actually believe themselves to be exploited.

Hell, I'm ain't monogamous either but I satisfy my appetites with women who aren't forced by job description of financial imperative to accommodate me. This is how I rolled back in the UK and it's how I roll here

Anyway this is all largely moot. In a decade's time, I would hope that Thailand will be creating opportunities for young people that mean they don't have to demean and degrade themselves servicing the odious appetites of depraved Western men for a pittance.

• Like 2

You think it's normal to pay for sex?

Not everyone here shares your lifestyle.

Sex is always paid for. It just isn't always with money.

If you want a "real" cesspool, just visit Soho in London. No country is innocent from P4P.

Casting the first stone springs to mind while reading some of the replies on here, and it reminds me that some people despise for the benefit of others what they secretly wish to have in their own life.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Monogamy has nothing to do with this.

One can be polygamous without contributing to the exploitation of another human being - regardless of whether or not they actually believe themselves to be exploited.

Hell, I'm ain't monogamous either but I satisfy my appetites with women who aren't forced by job description of financial imperative to accommodate me. This is how I rolled back in the UK and it's how I roll here

Anyway this is all largely moot. In a decade's time, I would hope that Thailand will be creating opportunities for young people that mean they don't have to demean and degrade themselves servicing the odious appetites of depraved Western men for a pittance.

Given that the western scene is insignificant compared to the THAI P4P scene, does your opinion extend to Thai men as well, or is it just westerners that you dislike?

<One can be polygamous without contributing to the exploitation of another human being>

It must be comedy hour on TV, 5555555555555555555555.

<One can be polygamous without contributing to the exploitation of another human being>

It must be comedy hour on TV, 5555555555555555555555.

Easy to laugh but far more difficult to put some substance behind your mirth, isn't it?

Explain why it ISN'T possible to be polygamous without exploiting another human being.

Speak for yourself and the other jokers who didn't/don't bring enough personality to the table.

Where can I get those pills that cause delusions? biggrin.png

Oh I wouldn't worry about that.

By the sound of things, you've been popping them all the way through your life, pal.

I find if I spend more than about 4 or 5 months in Thailand at a stretch little things get me down. Taxi drivers, somebody who tried to short change me, a rude shopkeeper, a policeman wanting tea money (rare in my case), occasional stomach problems, squat toilets, expensive farang food in the supermarket, the same conversations etc. Once I realise what is happening I remember the advantages and the problems disappear into insignificance.

Whenever I've worked overseas in the Middle East or lived in Thailand wherever there is a large ex-pat population there will always be the moaners and whingers and half cup empty brigade. I am a cup half full person and always have been. I don't think it is Thailand particularly that attracts the cup empty people, they are present everywhere. However, I think Thailand has more triggers for this mindset than most places.

• Like 2

Because they are broke ass despos that cant afford a return flight and cant get any skirt back home.

Its the reality of it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You think it's normal to pay for sex?

Not everyone here shares your lifestyle.

rolleyes.gif That ole chestnut....