Why do so many TV users dislike Thailand so much and yet stay?

beb

What about Bill Heinecke (one of the richest men in Thailand)? And there are many more.

Sorry Maxme. Violation of Thai Visa posting rules, (3 sentences not the whole dang thing).

And you are wrong.

I have met hundreds of Korean, Chinese and foreigners of other nationalities who have done very well in Thailand.

Well so do I but tell me how many foreigners work at McDonalds or 7eleven? And don't tell me it's because they don't want to take crappy jobs with low pay because there are those who would.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You think the millions of Burmese or Khmer's who take the crappy jobs aren't foreigners?

How many burmese are working at 7eleven then?

I don't know. Most of the Burmese I see are working at jobs that don't require much customer contact as they don't speak Thai very well.

And foreigners from neighbor countries, why don't we see them working at 7eleven. I mean a few of them must have picked up the lingo right?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. Most of the Burmese I see are working at jobs that don't require much customer contact as they don't speak Thai very well.

And foreigners from neighbor countries, why don't we see them working at 7eleven. I mean a few of them must have picked up the lingo right?

I don't think 7/11 wants to pay for housing. There a lot of Burmese and Khmer working at top class hotels and restaurants in Pattaya. I know because when I asked for something in Thai they gave me a blank stare and the wife told me they were speaking Burmese or Khmer. She speaks Khmer and acts as the interpreter at her company for foreign labor which are paid more than the Thais because of the housing rule.

I don't think 7/11 wants to pay for housing. There a lot of Burmese and Khmer working at top class hotels and restaurants in Pattaya. I know because when I asked for something in Thai they gave me a blank stare and the wife told me they were speaking Burmese or Khmer. She speaks Khmer and acts as the interpreter at her company for foreign labor which are paid more than the Thais because of the housing rule.

Some yes but how many just want equal rules for Thais as well as foreigners? I mean most of the foreigners just want to be accepted and you can hardly say that that is the case.

Some yes but how many just want equal rules for Thais as well as foreigners? I mean most of the foreigners just want to be accepted and you can hardly say that that is the case.

The factory workers get paid more than Thais doing the same work (housing) and I always got paid more money than Thais doing my same job. So in my experience no. Maybe you got paid less than Thais doing your job. Did you? Let us know. I have never known foreigner who was not paid more than a Thai for doing the same work.

The factory workers get paid more than Thais doing the same work (housing) and I always got paid more money than Thais doing my same job. So in my experience no. Maybe you got paid less than Thais doing your job. Did you? Let us know. I have never known foreigner who was not paid more than a Thai for doing the same work.

I've been here 8 years. Lived in a lot of spots many wouldn't even consider visiting even, before ending up in bkk. The first couple of years, I worked as a teacher at a school in Mahasarakham. I had to work 11 hours a day sometimes extra during the weekends and I made 5600 baht per month while the rest of them complained about only earning about 9000 baht per month.

So yes I've been taking jobs that Thai guys wouldn't even touch with a plier despite being broke.

Because of that I live a fruitful life in the capital but many don't.

What about you?

I've been here 8 years. Lived in a lot of spots many wouldn't even consider visiting even, before ending up in bkk. The first couple of years, I worked as a teacher at a school in Mahasarakham. I had to work 11 hours a day sometimes extra during the weekends and I made 5600 baht per month while the rest of them complained about only earning about 9000 baht per month.

So yes I've been taking jobs that Thai guys wouldn't even touch with a plier despite being broke.

What about you?

Came over here 40 years ago in the military. Made 10 times more than the equivalent Thai soldier. Same in other jobs. I have never met a Farang teacher who earned less than the equivalent Thai Teacher. You would be the first.

• Like 1

What about you?

Came over here 40 years ago in the military. Made 10 times more than the equivalent Thai soldier. Same in other jobs. I have never met a Farang teacher who earned less than the equivalent Thai Teacher. You would be the first.

Like everything else, it's subjective. I haven't met an expat retiree that didn't crawl inside a bottle but just because I haven't, it doesn't mean these people don't exist.

Even today there are many Farang teachers that work for an incredible small salary. And often smaller than Thai teachers. Just look here in TV where they search for teachers and the salary is 20-25k.

Actually that is considered a good and quite normal salary. I know architects, Thais, that make 20 grand a month.

The salary isn't really the problem. Visa and the rules surrounding it is.

Edited by maxme

Even today there are many Farang teachers that work for an incredible small salary. And often smaller than Thai teachers. Just look here in TV where they search for teachers and the salary is 20-25k.

Dear do you know what the Thai starting wage at government schools is?

Like everything else, it's subjective. I haven't met an expat retiree that didn't crawl inside a bottle but just because I haven't, it doesn't mean these people don't exist.

Nonsense. If you have not met a sober expat try going to AA meetings as there are many in Thailand.

I'm sure someone here could give you an idea of how many AA members are in Thailand that don't drink.

To say you have never met one means you live in a bar. You don't live in a bar do you? Rather I think you want to bash the expats who have made a successful go of living in Thailand.

Yes but these teachers isn't working at those schools. You have to compare Thai teachers working at the same schools

There are Farang teachers working at government schools. There are Thais working at government schools. There are Thais working at international schools. There are Farang working at international schools. Compare equivalent jobs starting pay.

Actually that is considered a good and quite normal salary. I know architects, Thais, that make 20 grand a month.

Visas and rules surrounding them are never a problem if you are working for a reputable company. My wife works for a large international company. They have a lady who takes care of the visas. The employees are never bothered even to go to immigration. This is Thailand. Not a problem.

• Like 1

Yes but these teachers isn't working at those schools. You have to compare Thai teachers working at the same schools

Some schools are good, some are bad. Since law isn't enforced here, equality isn't really high on their agenda. This treatment applies to Thais as well as other foreigners. And Thai teachers have extracurricular duties, something most farang teachers don't have to participate in.

It is true though that foreign teachers from time to time can be treated like the proverbial underdog but you can always look for a new job. There are schools that have great people as well.

If you want to make real money then I suggest you go private.

Visas and rules surrounding them are never a problem if you are working for a reputable company. My wife works for a large international company. They have a lady who takes care of the visas. The employees are never bothered even to go to immigration. This is Thailand. Not a problem.

Utopia indeed. You do realize that many of these reputable companies aren't to keen on paying for work permits which is the key to having a stable life. You seem to think that just because you haven't experienced it, these problems don't exist.

As I said earlier, everything is subjective but unlike you I prefer not to wear rose tainted glasses as I like to see the world for what it is.

Utopia indeed. You do realize that many of these reputable companies aren't to keen on paying for work permits which is the key to having a stable life. You seem to think that just because you haven't experienced it, these problems don't exist.

As I said earlier, everything is subjective but unlike you I prefer not to wear rose tainted glasses as I like to see the world for what it is.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys. The experience I related is with the company my wife works for. No rose colored glasses. It's not a Thai owned company. Many Thais work for the company but it is not owned by a Thai. Have the right qualifications and get a decent job. Not a problem. Thailand is one of the worlds leading manufactures of cars, trucks and hard drives. Lots of good jobs here. You have to be the right person for the right job. You don't need rose colored glasses you need education, experience and some common sense.

Better ask one of the adults in Singapore to explain it to you. People suggest that there are mongers posting here. I doubt it. If there are they certainly are not very knowledgeable of the genre or area.

Translation :

"You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

You just disagree because that's what you do.

Forgive you because you can't help talking out of your anus"

We are not supposed to discuss the specifics of mongering here. I gave you a couple of hints that anyone who has been here for a while with a modicum of sophistication would have picked up on. You didn't OK no problem.

Please tell me you're not suggesting that the expats in places like Hong Kong, Seoul and Singapore are of a similar demographic to their counterparts holed up in the depths of Isaan and Pattaya?

The "specifics" of mongering have nothing to do with it.

Better ask one of the adults in Singapore to explain it to you. People suggest that there are mongers posting here. I doubt it. If there are they certainly are not very knowledgeable of the genre or area.

Translation :

"You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

You just disagree because that's what you do.

Forgive you because you can't help talking out of your anus"

We are not supposed to discuss the specifics of mongering here. I gave you a couple of hints that anyone who has been here for a while with a modicum of sophistication would have picked up on. You didn't OK no problem.

Please tell me you're not suggesting that the expats in places like Hong Kong, Seoul and Singapore are of a similar demographic to their counterparts holed up in the depths of Isaan and Pattaya?

Worse but not confined to Farang. It would be more accurate if I said I meant English speakers. But there is no way to verify this without discussing the specifics. There are places and people in Asia that make Pattaya and Issan look rather tame.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys. The experience I related is with the company my wife works for. No rose colored glasses. It's not a Thai owned company. Many Thais work for the company but it is not owned by a Thai. Have the right qualifications and get a decent job. Not a problem. Thailand is one of the worlds leading manufactures of cars, trucks and hard drives. Lots of good jobs here. You have to be the right person for the right job. You don't need rose colored glasses you need education, experience and some common sense.

Seriously... Thought you were smarter than that. Your wife's company may not be exactly the standard for how employees are treated nor how business is conducted here. For someone who have stayed here for quite some time, you really have a deep but narrow view.

World leading car manufacturer. I can buy that if you provide some proof for that. In any case but do tell, do tell if they are as good as car manufacturers in the west, why do they feel the need to degrade their cars by putting in parts with lesser quality?

Edited by maxme

World leading car manufacturer. I can buy that if you provide some proof for that. In any case but do tell, do tell if they are as good as car manufacturers in the west, why do they feel the need to degrade their cars by putting in parts with lesser quality?

Thailand is one of the leading manufactures of motor vehicles (in the top ten).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry

Are they good? I don't know ask BMW or Mercedes or Honda or Toyota or Ford or General motors or Nissan they are all made in Thailand.

Thailand accounts for about 40% of global HDD production, exporting more than US$12 billion worth annually. With nearly every aspect of modern life relying on digital data, demand for data storage devices such as hard drives will soar in coming years, heightening Thailand’s importance as a top production base.

Western Digital is a shining example of how businesses grow and prosper in Thailand’s favorable investment climate. In the 10 years since the California-based company geared up production in Thailand, it has enjoyed average annual growth of 35%. With 38,000 local employees and a total of 650,000 square feet of production space at its two huge factories near Bangkok, Western Digital now produces about 60% of its hard drives in Thailand.

http://www.boi.go.th/tir/issue/201202_22_2/42.htm

Edited by thailiketoo

Seriously... Thought you were smarter than that. Your wife's company may not be exactly the standard for how employees are treated nor how business is conducted here. For someone who have stayed here for quite some time, you really have a deep but narrow view.

If you have the skills they need which is usually a multi national company , they have the infrastructure in place to deal with all your visa and work permit issues. They dont want you wasting time when they are paying you big dollars.

Work permits were dealt with by a third party legal firm on the 2 occasions I needed them.

Having said that the teaching profession outside of the international schools does not compare..it's almost exploitive..

As with anything, anywhere, if the need is their and you have the skills.. Better treatment....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are they good? I don't know ask BMW or Mercedes or Honda or Toyota or Ford or General motors or Nissan they are all made in Thailand.

Thailand accounts for about 40% of global HDD production, exporting more than US$12 billion worth annually. With nearly every aspect of modern life relying on digital data, demand for data storage devices such as hard drives will soar in coming years, heightening Thailand’s importance as a top production base.

If we would go for the original sales price, a lot of Thais wouldn't be able to afford it.

Strangely same logic apply to moo gata. If the meat and other products were of good quality the locals wouldn't eat there because the price of that buffet would be ten times more than the original one.

Pay peanuts and get monkeys indeed.

Edited by maxme

If you have the skills they need which is usually a multi national company , they have the infrastructure in place to deal with all your visa and work permit issues. They dont want you wasting time when they are paying you big dollars.

Work permits were dealt with by a third party legal firm on the 2 occasions I needed them.

Having said that the teaching profession outside of the international schools does not compare..it's almost exploitive..

As with anything, anywhere, if the need is their and you have the skills.. Better treatment....

Unfortunately it's not limited to teaching jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If we would go for the original sales price, a lot of Thais wouldn't be able to afford it.

Strangely same logic apply to moo gata. If the meat and other products were of good quality the locals wouldn't eat there because the price of that buffet would be ten times more than the original one.

So I told you about auto and hard drive sales now you want to switch to food products. OK, who is the worlds largest supplier of shrimp? Can the rest of the world afford Thai shrimp?

So I told you about auto and hard drive sales now you want to switch to food products. OK, who is the worlds largest supplier of shrimp? Can the rest of the world afford Thai shrimp?

I was talking about how Thais are hindering their development process by enforcing xenophobic rules and work laws thus creating a less than adequate living status for the average foreigners. And instead of proving me wrong you try to derail the topic by telling us what little do gooders they are. Yes I can see where this is goingn.

I was talking about how Thais are hindering their development process by enforcing xenophobic rules and work laws thus creating a less than adequate living status for the average foreigners. And instead of proving me wrong you try to derail the topic by telling us what little do gooders they are. Yes I can see where this is goingn.

Why should Thailand care if they create a less than adequate living status for the average foreigner?

Worse but not confined to Farang. It would be more accurate if I said I meant English speakers. But there is no way to verify this without discussing the specifics. There are places and people in Asia that make Pattaya and Issan look rather tame.

You think one or two individuals in a country counts to disprove what I said in my post?? Really??

Honestly, you're so completely out of touch with reality, it's a joke.

The reason there's no way to verify it is because it's tripe made up in your alternate reality.

You know, the one that always seems to be able to provide evidence to support your tall stories and comedic assertions

. . . until it can't.

• Like 1

Why should Thailand care if they create a less than adequate living status for the average foreigner?

True, but if west did the same thing to Thais. Would you protest against it or just sit there and accept that that's the way it is?